France Telecom exec implies Apple tablet to have 3G, Web cam

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Maybe the french guy didn't understand the questions and just answered "oui" to everything

I don't see where is the interest of giving a false translation. That is clear, he perfectly understand all.
  • Reply 42 of 100
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thefinaleofseem View Post

Oh wow. I think Steve Jobs just found his next unwitting organ donor.

LOL! Seriouly though, what are the consequences if you knowingly violate an NDA?
  • Reply 43 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Maybe the french guy didn't understand the questions and just answered "oui" to everything

That would make sense if the interviewer was english speaking but apparently he is french as well. But perhaps this Richard guy is totally clueless regardless:

Jean Pierre Elkabbach: "So is the Apple tablet coming to Orange Mr. Richard?"

Stéphane Richard: "Oui!"

Jean Pierre Elkabbach: "Is the sky blue Mr. Richard?"

Jean Pierre Elkabbach: "Do you have a big ugly nose Mr. Richard?"

• Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is a portable computing platform, people will judge its value based on what else can solve their problems for them. In otherwords their is no way for Apple to not compete with tablets because that is what people will judge its utility against.

I am not talking about how people judge it. I am talking about how Apple markets it.

Quote:

You are confusing operating systems with utility. Past tablets gave failed more due to the OS than anything else. Apple may very well overcome the OS / user interface issues, but I still maintain that the tablet will be judged against laptops be potential purchasers. In many cases the question will be which is easier to surf the web and get my E-Mail with.

No I am not confusing anything. In fact you proved my point. Other tablets have been marketed as laptops.

Quote:

Or it could be marketed as both. My point remains that it doesn't matter, potetial buyers will judge it against both.

Again not really discussing what the consumer thinks. The important piece we are missing is how Apple is going to advertise it. For this to sell to the consumer market, Apple needs to convince people that this is something new. Somethin you will want in your Apple ecosystem.

Quote:

Everything Apple does is a device replacement. Beyound that what can Apple add to a low cost platform to make it the "UN computer". Just like the un-cola of a few years ago it was still a softdrink. In the end that is what the tablet will amount to, it is just another computer but in this case flat.

When I said Apple ecosystem I am not talking about replacements for devices outside Apple. What I am talking about is how Apple will sell a tablet and how they will convince the consumer that it is not a replacement for anothr Apple product, but a product you will want in addition to a laptop, iPod Touch, iMac, Apple TV, etc.
  • Reply 45 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluefyre View Post

When I said Apple ecosystem I am not talking about replacements for devices outside Apple. What I am talking about is how Apple will sell a tablet and how they will convince the consumer that it is not a replacement for anothr Apple product, but a product you will want in addition to a laptop, iPod Touch, iMac, Apple TV, etc.

This question was answered already in other posts here and probably other forums. This new device will primarily fit a need for those who do not necessarily need a laptop. But many people own both a full laptop and a "netbook". So as long as the device really pushes the envelope and fills a need I do not see Apple not being able to sell a lot of these.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

That would make sense if the interviewer was english speaking but apparently he is french as well. But perhaps this Richard guy is totally clueless regardless:

Jean Pierre Elkabbach: "So is the Apple tablet coming to Orange Mr. Richard?"

Jean Pierre Elkabbach: "Is the sky blue Mr. Richard?"

Jean Pierre Elkabbach: "Do you have a big ugly nose Mr. Richard?"

LOL. I don't know how English/American people felt this interview as, but for French people it's perfectly clear, the two men are French and there is absolutly no understanding confusion in all the interview.
  • Reply 47 of 100
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Quote:

The Air is not a flop by the way. I don't why people imagine it is.

... Oh how about every indication seen in the last couple of years. Apple should be embarrassed by AIR. At least in our local store very little space is dedicated to AIR and I don't think it has ever sold well online.

AIR is infact a good example of what you get when you over price poor performance and limited capability. In any event if younthink AIR is a good value and is selling well then I can see where you might think this tablet at $1200 might make sense. ...

This is all fine, but you aren't backing this up with any facts or really making any sense.

The original poster said that the Air wasn't a flop (it isn't), and said nothing about what "they thought" was a good value proposition. Obviously, you don't think it's a good value. Equally obviously, other people have various differing opinions on that. All that is completely separate from the objective fact of whether the thing is or is not "a flop," in the commercial sense.

The MacBook Air is demonstrably not a "flop" in any way shape or form. if it didn't sell well, it would be discontinued and all actual sales reports I've heard of indicates it sells well. There are no published reports that I am aware of that indicate it *doesn't* sell well or *hasn't been well received by those that bought it. There are only internet criticisms like yours, by people who don't own it and wouldn't own it in the first place anyway.

You are basing your whole post on your own admitted bias against the thing, and the fact that your local store only devotes a small space to the product.

This is clearly just your opinion, and not based on any actual facts at all.
  • Reply 48 of 100
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

LOL! Seriouly though, what are the consequences if you knowingly violate an NDA?

you can get sued for eleventy billion dollars or whatever they put into the contract

in this case it may really be a pound of flesh. and you can be off by a bit and take some blood as well
  • Reply 49 of 100
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Especially whe Apple gas had a history of pricing hardware way to high bringing on dramatic failures (Cube for one).

maybe the cube was ahead of its time, maybe it just did not seem useful to possible buyers, but i do NOT think it flopped because it was much more expensive than alternative products. what alternatives to the cube were available? people just did not need it.

Quote:

The last thing Apple needs is another failure that is a direct result of prices being substantially higher than a reasonable customer is willing to pay.

pretty negative perspective, you make it sound like apple are about to go down the drain and there is no hope. last time we looked apple was raking in the money and doing better than everybody else, even in this recession. why are you thinking about the "The last thing Apple needs..."...?

Quote:

Where did you ever get that idea. Frankly I don't know of a company that works harder to keep in the good graces of the community.

i said they are not interested in YOUR reputation, why are you concerned for THEIR reputation. i care about the reputation of those close to me, not about the reputation of a huge and rich corporation.

and if your theories and fears turned out to be true... so be it, companies fold all the time, new companies appear all the time.
  • Reply 50 of 100
    Service providers are charging $60.00 minus tax for 5 gigabyte data cap in regards to netbook/tablet monthly plans. I do not find the data cap appealing, I could run through that in less than a day.
  • Reply 51 of 100
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

That is way to high. I'd suggest a starting price of $500 for the base model. No matter how you look at it this is nothing more than a fat iPod Touch. It will still be using an ARM CPU, flash memory and other low cost parts. I'd be surprised if the logic board was all that much bigger.

Oh I truely doubt people would pay $1200 for an ARM based anything. Especially considering an Arrandale laptop will be close to that price. It would have to floss between your legs everyday to jusify that price.

I actually think you are right there. Just as long as I can turn it off when I want to.

Oh how about every indication seen in the last couple of years. Apple should be embarrassed by AIR. At least in our local store very little space is dedicated to AIR and I don't think it has ever sold well online.

AIR is infact a good example of what you get when you over price poor performance and limited capability. In any event if younthink AIR is a good value and is selling well then I can see where you might think this tablet at $1200 might make sense. The reality is a different story though, all we are getting is a 32 bit CPU or two, limited address space, limited memory an embedded GPU and other shortcomings. Still you think people will pay $1200 for that.

Some will in the same sense they did with AIR. That is the week minded will flock to the stores to snap them up on release day, three months later dead silence in the stores.

In a way I wish that Apple did have a secret sauce to make for a tasty tablet. I'm affraid however that we will get some gimmicks on top of an iPod Touch.

Dave

You are imagining that people give a shit about what the specs of the machine are. That's not what this is all about. You need to get your head around that simple truth. Form-factor, novel functionality and thriving ecosystem are what this is all about.
  • Reply 52 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Well they better have a contract free version for well under $1000 otherwise there are a lot of people who won't be buying.

Don't expect it to be well under $1000. If it does do video calls that will end up being a minor feature. Though talked about a lot by Steve on stage, it will end up being used regularly by very few. Expect subsidized versions to be around $799, and non-sub versions to run around $1,100.
  • Reply 53 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't expect it to be well under $1000. If it does do video calls that will end up being a minor feature. Though talked about a lot by Steve on stage, it will end up being used regularly by very few.

$599.

No more than $699.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

$599.

No more than $699.

iPhone costs around $700.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    Quote:

It is a portable computing platform, people will judge its value based on what else can solve their problems for them. In otherwords their is no way for Apple to not compete with tablets because that is what people will judge its utility against.

People will always be critical about in with regards they way Apple markets it. If they market it as a replacement portable computer it will be judged against laptops. And I very much suspect they will do that very thing.
  • Reply 56 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

$599.

No more than $699.

Over 2000 posts and you still have yet to learn. Apple pitch themselves as a premium brand. They'll want this thing to be priced in such a way that people feel lucky to own one. Just like the first iPhone was overpriced, as will this be. Though it will be cutting edge technology, so people will get them. You might not get one, but others will gladly take the one you were going to.
  • Reply 57 of 100
    Quote:

Apple should be embarrassed by AIR. At least in our local store very little space is dedicated to AIR and I don't think it has ever sold well online.

you seem to think that if a new device from apple is not ubiquitous, it is a flop and they should be embarrassed? can't you consider that they design and sell devices for a variety of reasons? their own prestige ('we released the thinnest laptop ever' etc), and as a deluxe version for the richest customers. in my line of work (music & video) i encounter many macbookpro users; those amongst them who have the most need to display affluence and success, all have the Air, it sets them above the rest of us mbp or powerbook users, just as many of us see the mbp as a status symbol which sets up above the windows laptop users.

your argument is similar to saying that Ford should be ashamed of their aston martin cars, they only devote very little space to them in their showrooms and they don't sell well. i believe they sell a few hundred every year - and are well pleased by this. no attempt sell more is made, it's about prestige.

Quote:

AIR is infact a good example of what you get when you over price poor performance and limited capability. In any event if younthink AIR is a good value and is selling well then I can see where you might think this tablet at $1200 might make sense. The reality is a different story though, all we are getting is a 32 bit CPU or two, limited address space, limited memory an embedded GPU and other shortcomings. Still you think people will pay $1200 for that.

as another poster noted, most buyers are not interested in specs, they want something cool that works.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

iPhone costs around $700.

Sucker >
  • Reply 59 of 100
    just in case this has not been posted here: from another site:

paidContent:UK received word from Orange clarifying that Richard was simply acknowledging the speculation regarding a tablet and the company's wish to support it if it does exist.

These responses in no way reflect Orange's confirmation of the existence of the rumoured device. The spokesperson was merely confirming that he is aware of the speculation surrounding a launch and that Orange would be delighted to have such a product were it ever to be available.
  • Reply 60 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sucker >

Fluthered? "From EUR 40 per month".

No "From EUR 40 per month". Comprendo?

P.S. Meant no harm.