Consumer Reports condemns end of iPhone 4 free case program

Comments

• Reply 21 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Jesus. Consumer Reports just won't stop, will they? I wonder who's paying them to act this way?

Their membership.
  • Reply 22 of 188
    Yea, and we are the idiots. Its clear from the videos what the signal loss is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZyDK...eature=channel
  • Reply 23 of 188
    I wouldn't recommend CR to anyone as well.
  • Reply 24 of 188
    Consumer Reports has no credibility. I haven't trusted their recommendations for years. This latest announcement confirms my decision.
  • Reply 25 of 188
    I've given up trying to make my iPhone 4 antenna fail. I squeeze it in both hands, turn it around, stick in my armpit... Its reception remains constant.

After all this hype, it's terribly disappointing to have spent $300 and have nothing to complain about. Really, what do I have to do? Sit on it naked? It's disgraceful. I bought the thing so that I could whine! Consumer Reports should be ashamed of themselves for misleading me.

Oh well. There's always Apple's steadfast refusal to give me wings, the body of a cartoon superhero, and immortality.
  • Reply 26 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

I would think most executive types are using a cell phone. From the way CR is behaving I think that their CEO is an Android user and he feels fear for his own ego if he actually recommends a phone that he/she is using. Dumb on CR part. I don't read their stuff and really don't care.

Consumer Reports is a highly respected magazine and online company that many 30+ have read and respected for years in the USA.

If (and I know it's true, I returned my iPhone 4) you can reproduce a drop in signal by using 1 finger to touch 1 simple spot (the most used spot by most consumers) then it is a design flaw.

I returned my iPhone 4 and will wait it out. The 4 has great screen but other than being faster I think most of the features (HDR Photos, Retina Display) are hype marketing terms used to sell a fundamentally flawed device.

And for the record. Don't base your opinion on Consumer Reports on an iPhone App that isn't liked, considering the demographics the iPhone is targeting in comparison to who Consumer Reports is targeting.

Informed Buyer vs Gamer that doesn't care to think for themselves.

Guess which consumer the iPhone is targeting...
  • Reply 27 of 188
    You guys notice that Consumer Reports is moderating the comment field on their YouTube video. They are not letting any comments through that disagree with their opinion. So much for representing the consumer.... I guess they think censorship is good for us?
  • Reply 28 of 188
    When the CR guys put the duct tape on the iPhone4, they completely lost all credibility with me. They were obviously Apple haters wanting to do damage. I will never read CR again or trust anything they say.

The iPhone4 my friend's Droid phones in a speedtest, even with the death grip.
  • Reply 29 of 188
    Beating a dead horse.
  • Reply 30 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

You guys notice that Consumer Reports is moderating the comment field on their YouTube video. They are not letting any comments through that disagree with their opinion. So much for representing the consumer.... I guess they think censorship is good for us?

I hope that you realize Apple did the same thing on their forums regarding the iPhone antenna issues.

Guess Apple thinks censorship is good too, huh?
  • Reply 31 of 188
    I will download and rate the CR app 1 star and leave funny comments until I am blue in the face
  • Reply 32 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Are you serious? I can understand if the iPhone 4s they had all tested badly and they couldn?t in good faith recommend the product (even though I think it?s unlikely that they could go this long and not have an iPhone 4 that performs better than the competition as even those with issues have demonstrated) but to remove comments that go against their personal viewpoint is absolutely absurd sounding to me. I can?t but think that your post is not accurate (even though I know your posts to be accurate), and have to wonder if the internet has put such a huge damper on magazine subscriptions that even CR is acting unethical to get page hits these days.
  • Reply 33 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

I would think most executive types are using a cell phone. From the way CR is behaving I think that their CEO is an Android user and he feels fear for his own ego if he actually recommends a phone that he/she is using. Dumb on CR part. I don't read their stuff and really don't care.

that's gotta be the most dumbassed comment I've read on this board...yeah...he's an android user... how old are you again? 12?
  • Reply 34 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Consumer Reports is a highly respected magazine and online company that many 30+ have read and respected for years in the USA.

If (and I know it's true, I returned my iPhone 4) you can reproduce a drop in signal by using 1 finger to touch 1 simple spot (the most used spot by most consumers) then it is a design flaw.

Really? I have an iPhone 4 and prior to buying it I did everything I could to the in store demo to make the issue occur. Result? Sometimes nothing, sometimes it would lose 1 bar, sometimes it would gain one bar.

If you have ever had any interaction with an antenna in your life then you know that adding the human touch can do any of the three.

Further more it has been out since July in Australia and nope, no widespread complaints, heck you would be lucky to find a blog on the issue.

It's network and not phone. and... just to round out my angle, there are issues with the phone, it is slippery, it has sharp edges, it gets covered in human oils within seconds. As for that antenna, yeah there is an issue with the design, the separation makes for a weak spot for impacts.

Consumer report type orgs are paid by companies to spin, they are actually an ad agency by stealth. We have the same kinda orgs here too.

In Australia we have had no reception issues with the iPhone 3G, 3GS or 4. What is so hard for Americans to figure out with this one.
  • Reply 35 of 188
    How is this news?

They didn't recommend it and now...the same?

I generally like CR but it seems like they're trying to milk this for as much publicity as they can get.
  • Reply 36 of 188
    Quote:

That's not censorship. It's their YouTube video, they can allow whatever they want on it.

Some other points:

1. Why is this news anyway? They never reversed their "cannot recommend" status for the iP4 when Apple instated the free case program, calling it "a good first step."

2. The attenuation issue is real, and Apple's handling of it is crap. That said, I love my iP4, despite it's somewhat annoying quirks. (like the proximity sensor still acting up even with 4.1 installed) The free bumper I got from Apple seemed to take care of the signal problems in my home, where I get awful reception (not Apple's fault)

3. CR has long been an Apple cheerleader, check any of their laptop/desktop ratings for the past twenty or so years. It seems whenever CR calls it like they see it, someone gets upset and accuses them of bias. I mean, lately they've got fans of the domestic and foreign automakers both accusing them of being bought and paid for by the other. They're a non-profit, and they seem fairly objective.
  • Reply 37 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Informed Buyer vs Gamer that doesn't care to think for themselves.

Guess which consumer the iPhone is targeting...

But who is targeting the gamer?

Consumer Reports has never been very good at consumer electronics. You can't really expect a print magazine to do well though. The market changes too fast.

If consumer reports wants to take issue with this, then they should take issue with a car getting worse gas mileage when you drive it poorly. This "problem" doesn't result in dropped calls. In most circumstances it improves reception. Consumer Reports seems to think they are immune to criticism and are trying to attract attention. Maybe they think they can better represent the consumer by moderating their comments so that only random comments and people who agree when them can post on their threads. Look in the comments field and try to find someone who disagrees with them let alone place a rebuttal yourself. They seem to allow plenty of random, baseless attacks against Apple though.
  • Reply 38 of 188
    The only people that care about the iPhone antenna "problem" is consumer reports and Android users. I've been using my iPhone 4 case-free from day one without issue.
  • Reply 39 of 188
    Consumer Reports doesn't recommend the iphone 4.. but I sure can
  • Reply 40 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post

That's not censorship. It's their YouTube video, they can allow whatever they want on it.

Some other points:

1. Why is this news anyway? They never reversed their "cannot recommend" status for the iP4 when Apple instated the free case program, calling it "a good first step."

2. The attenuation issue is real, and Apple's handling of it is crap. That said, I love my iP4, despite it's somewhat annoying quirks. (like the proximity sensor still acting up even with 4.1 installed) The free bumper I got from Apple seemed to take care of the signal problems in my home, where I get awful reception (not Apple's fault)

3. CR has long been an Apple cheerleader, check any of their laptop/desktop ratings for the past twenty or so years. It seems whenever CR calls it like they see it, someone gets upset and accuses them of bias. I mean, lately they've got fans of the domestic and foreign automakers both accusing them of being bought and paid for by the other. They're a non-profit, and they seem fairly objective.

1. They didn't reverse the "cannot recommend status". They said that offering free cases wasn't good enough unless they guaranteed free cases forever.

2. I agree Apple's handling of it isn't that great. However it is not a real problem. You can reproduce it, but it doesn't cause dropped calls unless you are in an extreme circumstance where the iPhone 3GS wouldn't have had reception anyway. Looking purely at the DB drop is like only looking at megapixels when evaluating a digital camera. They are still giving you a free case if you have an actual problem. This is only going to help people who are just barely able to get an iPhone due to AT&T coverage issues. The prior iPhone probably would not have worked for these people at all. Now that Apple fixed the algorithm for the number of bars, these people are accurately shown with a single bar. Try to drop a call with more then one bar. It isn't going to work.

3. CR has never been an Apple cheerleader. At best they are objective sometimes.

4. It is censorship. It just isn't "government" censorship. There is a difference between not allowing any one to post in a free press and not allowing anyone to post a an opposing mainstream comment in a blog. Yet they allow comments with profanity (lots of F*ing posts), obvious trolling, misinformation, and lots of posts (obviously by non-iphone users) complaining about how expensive the Apple case is. CR is doing a disservice to their readers. Hopefully they pay for it.