Consumer Reports condemns end of iPhone 4 free case program

Comments

• Reply 101 of 188
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

as AnandTech states, "massively better... in actual use.?

As AnandTech states, only when the iPhone 4 is in a case. You forgot that little detail.
  • Reply 102 of 188
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:

According to ski1’s argument it’s when "held wrong" that the iPhone 4 is even more superior to the other phones as the difference in dB is lessened and the iPhone 4 will be able to hold a call at −120 dB while the 3GS will drop at −113 dB.

And considering the previous argument from the supposed email from Jobs saying not to hold it wrong, the dissenters clearly stated that holding it wrong was the natural way to hold it. So no matter how you slice it the iPhone 4 is, as AnandTech states, "massively better... in actual use.”

You still don't understand my very clear real world example. Oh well. LOL. I give up. I think most logical people can understand the truth.
  • Reply 103 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

As AnandTech states, only when the iPhone 4 is in a case. You forgot that little detail.

No where in the paragraph I noted did he stated did he state that the iPhone 4 was only superior to the 3GS in reception when the Bumper was in use. I?ve already debunked, decimated and destroyed every other argument you?ve tried to make about the Phone 4 being inferior piece of crap so I didn?t want to kick you when you were already down, but since you brought it up Anand stated in the THE NEXT paragraph that he can go further into "dead zones? with the Bumper on, which was not possible on other phones, further backing my point that the iPhone 4 is a net win over the previous design.

Conclusion: The iPhone 4 is better than the previous iPhones in reception and Apple will not be continuing the case giveaway, they will not be doing a recall, they will not being coming out with an iPhone 4.5 in October, and they will be using the frame as the antenna in the iPhone 5 due next year.
  • Reply 104 of 188
    Quote:

No where in the paragraph I noted did he stated did he state that the iPhone 4 was only superior to the 3GS in reception when the Bumper was in use. I’ve already debunked, decimated and destroyed every other argument you’ve tried to make about the Phone 4 being inferior piece of crap I didn’t think want to kick you when you were already down, but since you brought it up he stated in the THE NEXT paragraph that he can go further into "dead zones” with the Bumper on, which was not possible on other phones, further backing my point that the iPhone 4 is a net win over the previous design.

LOL, hmm, I guess you overlooked the below paragraph from AnandTech's article:

Quote:

AnandTech:

With my bumper case on, I made it further into dead zones than ever before, and into marginal areas that would always drop calls without any problems at all. It's amazing really to experience the difference in sensitivity the iPhone 4 brings compared to the 3GS, and issues from holding the phone aside, reception is absolutely definitely improved. I felt like I was going places no iPhone had ever gone before. There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS.

And btw, you did not debunk my very real world example in my previous post. Try again !!! lol
  • Reply 105 of 188
    Quote:

No where in the paragraph I noted did he stated did he state that the iPhone 4 was only superior to the 3GS in reception when the Bumper was in use.

It wasn't in the same paragraph. He makes this proviso a little earlier in the article.

"If you add a bumper case to the iPhone 4, the signal strength drop from holding the device is on par if not better than other phones."

And a little later in the article:

"With my bumper case on, I made it further into dead zones than ever before, and into marginal areas that would always drop calls without any problems at all."
  • Reply 106 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

LOL, hmm, I guess you overlooked the below paragraph from AnandTech's article:

You really need to read better. That is the NEXT PARAGRAPH as noted in my comment. Or are you honestly trying to convince us that everything he said and all his tests were with the Bumper on, but he mentioned it with a real world experience of going further into “dead zones” whilst using the iPhone 4. And let’s not forget that these “dead zones” are aptly named because other phones will not operate at all, hence they are essentially dead. Yet the iPhone is still able to make and hold calls. Again, the iPhone 4’s frame as the antenna is shown to be a net win for the consumer. But the bottom line is if this scares you or if it doesn’t fit your needs, don’t buy it, and let the millions upon millions who can use the improved reception of the iPhone 4 enjoy it. No need for you to spread your anti-Apple propaganda because this phone or company doesn’t suit your needs.
  • Reply 107 of 188
    Quote:

No where in the paragraph I noted did he stated did he state that the iPhone 4 was only superior to the 3GS in reception when the Bumper was in use. I’ve already debunked, decimated and destroyed every other argument you’ve tried to make about the Phone 4 being inferior piece of crap so I didn’t want to kick you when you were already down, but since you brought it up Anand stated in the THE NEXT paragraph that he can go further into "dead zones” with the Bumper on, which was not possible on other phones, further backing my point that the iPhone 4 is a net win over the previous design.

Conclusion: The iPhone 4 is better than the previous iPhones in reception and Apple will not be continuing the case giveaway, they will not be doing a recall, they will not being coming out with an iPhone 4.5 in October, and they will be using the frame as the antenna in the iPhone 5 due next year.

Btw, the issue is that iPhone 4 has poorer reception in real world results without the bumper cover. Yes, in lab results when you don't touch the phone, or if you have a bumper, the iPhone 4 has better reception. But that is not the issue. The issue is that Apple should still be giving cases away for free with every iPhone 4 purchase.
  • Reply 108 of 188
    Quote:

You really need to read better. That is the NEXT PARAGRAPH as noted in my comment. Or are you honestly trying to convince us that everything he said and all his tests were with the Bumper on, but he mentioned it with a real world experience of going further into “dead zones” whilst using the iPhone 4. And let’s not forget that these “dead zones” are aptly named because other phones will not operate at all, hence they are essentially dead. Yet the iPhone is still able to make and hold calls. Again, the iPhone 4’s frame as the antenna is shown to be a net win for the consumer. But the bottom line is if this scares you or if it doesn’t fit your needs, don’t buy it, and let the millions upon millions who can use the improved reception of the iPhone 4 enjoy it. No need for you to spread your anti-Apple propaganda because this phone or company doesn’t suit your needs.

Why can't you respond to my real world example I stated above ? I'll list it again:

If you are in an area where the signal is -105 db (untouched phone). The iPhone 3GS when being naturally held, will lose 2db and have a signal of -107 db. And it will still have a signal. But the iPhone 4 in a -105 db area being naturally held, will lose 20 db and only have -125 db. It will not be able to hold a call. AnandTech showed the limit of the iPhone 3GS is -113 db and the limit for the iPhone 4 is -120 db. So in the above real world example, the iPhone 3GS will be able to hold a call, while the iPhone 4 will not.
  • Reply 109 of 188
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

No, the design flaw is that the iPhone 3GS only loses 2 db when holding the phone naturally, but naturally holding the iPhone 4 loses 20 db. So if you are in an area that has a -105 db signal (without holding the phone), if you are naturally holding the iPhone 3GS, you will still have a signal. But when naturally holding the iPhone 4, you will not have a signal.

Where did you find those numbers for the 3GS? Attenuation caused by proximity to your hand could cause much more than 2db of signal loss. I don't believe that for a second. On my 4, in field test mode, I lost 15-20db by wrapping my hand tightly around the phone, with or without a case. When testing without the case, I was very careful not to touch the 'spot'. In both cases I lost 15-20db over multiple tests. When testing by intentionally touching the spot, I lost a max of 23db (as low as 18db) through detuning caused by touching the spot. The detuning from touching the spot causes additional signal loss, but most of the signal loss is from proximity through attenuation.

Every single phone on the market will suffer similar attenuation. I was disappointed by Apple's attempt to imply that this was the only problem and that because it is common to all phones it isn't an iPhone4 problem. This was deceiving, because the iPhone 4 also suffers from the problem of detuning when the spot is touched. But Apple is completely correct when they say it is not the problem it has been blown out to be.

Yes the iphone 4 has a unique problem caused by the exposed antenna that causes signal loss. But a similarly held phone, of any type, will have similar, though slightly less, signal loss because the loss from attenuation cause by proximity (not touch) is the far greated cause of signal loss. As you say, the case resolved the problem of detuning caused by touch. But, the attenuation is the main problem and is indeed common to every phone.
  • Reply 110 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

It wasn't in the same paragraph. He makes this proviso a little earlier in the article.

"If you add a bumper case to the iPhone 4, the signal strength drop from holding the device is on par if not better than other phones."

And a little later in the article:

"With my bumper case on, I made it further into dead zones than ever before, and into marginal areas that would always drop calls without any problems at all."

So without a Bumper, it?s a net win for the consumer as the antenna as the frame design allows for a much wider range of Db. THEN if you add a Bumper Anand states that "is on par if not better than other phones? AND the ability to make ?it further into dead zones than ever before?. All you two are doing is reinforcing my argument that the iPhone 4?s antenna as frame design is superior.
  • Reply 111 of 188
    Quote:

You really need to read better. That is the NEXT PARAGRAPH as noted in my comment. Or are you honestly trying to convince us that everything he said and all his tests were with the Bumper on, but he mentioned it with a real world experience of going further into ?dead zones? whilst using the iPhone 4. And let?s not forget that these ?dead zones? are aptly named because other phones will not operate at all, hence they are essentially dead.

You need to read better. Anand could also write better, but his meaning is still clear enough when read without bias. The iPhone 4 suffers from terrible attenuation just by holding it naturally, but when enclosed in a bumper case it performs great.
  • Reply 112 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Where did you find those numbers for the 3GS?.

It's in AnandTech article. Only 2db loss when holding the iPhone 3GS naturally.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
  • Reply 113 of 188
    Quote:

Why can't you respond to my real world example I stated above ? I'll list it again:

If you are in an area where the signal is -105 db (untouched phone). The iPhone 3GS when being naturally held, will lose 2db and have a signal of -107 db. And it will still have a signal. But the iPhone 4 in a -105 db area being naturally held, will lose 20 db and only have -125 db. It will not be able to hold a call. AnandTech showed the limit of the iPhone 3GS is -113 db and the limit for the iPhone 4 is -120 db. So in the above real world example, the iPhone 3GS will be able to hold a call, while the iPhone 4 will not.

But this real world example doesn't seem to be real world. In a case, the iPhone 4 should behave similarly to the 3GS. My iP4 clearly shows up to 20db of loss when tightly held while in a case (I just did two more quick tests and my signal went from -86db to -103db in both instances, in a case).
  • Reply 114 of 188
    Quote:

So without a Bumper, it’s a net win for the consumer as the antenna as the frame design allows for a much wider range of Db. THEN if you add a Bumper Anand states that "is on par if not better than other phones” AND the ability to make “it further into dead zones than ever before”. All you two are doing is reinforcing my argument that the iPhone 4’s antenna as frame design is superior.

LOL, all you doing is spinning words to poorly attempt to prove your flawed logic. Why can't you respond to my real world example ?
  • Reply 115 of 188
    Quote:

But this real world example doesn't seem to be real world. In a case, the iPhone 4 should behave similarly to the 3GS. My iP4 clearly shows up to 20db of loss when tightly held while in a case (I just did two more quick tests and my signal went from -86db to -103db in both instances, in a case).

That's not my point in my real world example. My example was without the case, and naturally holding the phones. Not tightly holding the phones.
  • Reply 116 of 188
    Quote:

Because it’s pointless. If you run the numbers I can find a lot more “real world” examples, as you put it, to suit my argument, but these aren’t “real world” these are just you finding an example that suits your specific needs for your argument, just as I could do but it doesn’t prove anything. So, yes, I’m ignoring your FOX News argument trap.

Example: If your dB is −117 which phones will make a call without holding them? (pure silliness or “OMG iPhone 4 FOR TEH WIN”) For a real world, let consumers decide and so far it’s the fastest selling iPhone and has sold more units than any other smartphone on the market in such a short time frame.

Quote:

Where did you find those numbers for the 3GS?

That was from Anand’s first review of the iPhone 4.
    Note that the anti-Apple/anti-iPhone posters keep saying that you have to cup it to hold it naturally, thus causing the attenuation. Of course, until I pointed out that the iPhone 4 can hold a signal to lower dB than other phones… so the goal posts were moved to support their argument.
  • Reply 117 of 188
    Quote:

You are so wrong !!! Did you not read anandTech article. It's in black and white. Only 2db loss when holding the iPhone 3GS naturally.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

I read it a couple months ago. I do see that it agrees with my observation. As I said, I tested by holding it tightly. What does Anand's article say about holding a 3GS tightly? It drops by 14.3 db. Nexus One? 17.7db drop. My tests with an iPhone4 in a case? 15-20db.

You correct that their tests of 'holding it naturally' showed a miniscule drop of 2db for the 3GS while the iPhone 4 was a huge 19.8 and also correct that a case resolves this.
  • Reply 118 of 188
    Quote:

Because it’s pointless. If you run the numbers I can find a lot more “real world” examples, as you put it, to suit my argument, but these aren’t “real world” these are just you finding an example that suits your specific needs for your argument, just as I could do but it doesn’t prove anything. So, yes, I’m ignoring your FOX News argument trap.

LOL. Thanks for proving my point that you can't debunk my real world example. The fact remains the iPhone 3GS outperforms the iPhone 4 (without a bumper) when holding the phones naturally in the real world.
  • Reply 119 of 188
    AnandTech's conclusion: "At the end of the day, Apple should add an insulative coating to the stainless steel band, or subsidize bumper cases. It's that simple."
  • Reply 120 of 188
    Quote:

That's not my point in my real world example. My example was without the case, and naturally holding the phones. Not tightly holding the phones.

I tend to hold it pretty tightly when talking on it (especially when walking) for fear of dropping it and smashing the screen, so 'natural' could well include a tight grip. Certainly, for someone that might hold it in a more limp-wristed manner, a 'natural' grip might be looser.

Actually scratch that. I just did another test, in case. Holding it in a specific position near the top of the phone to get a base line (-82db and -79db) then moving to a very loose 'natural' grip with the phone in the same place and orientation. Two attempts. First went from -82db to 102db. The second went from 80db to -89db. No where close to the 1.9db loss reported for the 3GS.