Consumer Reports condemns end of iPhone 4 free case program

Comments

• Reply 61 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

CR is shameless.

... or is it Apple who's 'shameless'?

Somehow I get the impression one is actually looking out for the consumer, and one is far more concerned with their bottom line.
  • Reply 62 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

It is a fundamental design flaw.

And it is easily fixed, just by putting the phone in a FREE case. But you're using very large type, so that makes you right - and it doesn't at all make you look tremendously insecure and needy.
  • Reply 63 of 188
    I feel the same way as Consumer Reports. I said this on the other thread. So many of my friends here told me I was wrong. But I was so sure I was right. I began to doubt myself and wonder if it was true that the iPhone 4 is not flawed.

Thank you Consumer Reports. I'm glad someone sees things my way. At least I know I'm not mad. From now on I will trust my feelings.
  • Reply 64 of 188
    CR WHO CARES! Ive never met a single person that didn't love their iphone...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Consumer Reports responded negatively to Apple's discontinuation of the free iPhone 4 case program, refusing to recommend the iPhone 4.

The consumer buying advice group announced Monday on its official blog that it continues not to recommend the iPhone 4. Apple's decision to discontinue the iPhone 4 free case program was seen as "less consumer-friendly."

"Putting the onus on any owners of a product to obtain a remedy to a design flaw is not acceptable to us," wrote Consumer Reports.

Apple announced Friday that it would not extend its free case offer, which expires on Sept. 30. Users experiencing noticeable loss of signal when holding the phone can contact AppleCare to request a free bumper. According to Apple, the "iPhone 4 antenna attenuation issue is even smaller" than they originally thought.

Consumer Reports also took issue with the change in available cases. During the free case program, seven cases, "including some from third-party manufacturers," were offered. Users who contact AppleCare after Sept. 30 will only have Apple's own Bumper case available to them.

In July, Consumer Reports reversed its initial recommendation that there was "no reason not to buy" the new smartphone. After independent testing in a "controlled environment," the organization found that the iPhone 4 was subject to signal loss when held.

Despite the lack of recommendation, the organization still ranked the iPhone as the best smartphone available, giving it the "highest rated" score.

Several websites questioned Consumer Reports' testing methodology. Engineer Bob Egan dismissed the test as unscientific.

"From what I can see in the reports, Consumer Reports replicated the same uncontrolled, unscientific experiments that many of the blogging sites have done," Egan wrote on his website.

• Reply 65 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakjoshie420 View Post

CR WHO CARES! Ive never met a single person that didn't love their iphone...

I love my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 66 of 188
    And AI cares about CR because...?
  • Reply 67 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

+1 here. I haven't experinced problems thus far, and I do believe if there is a problem, it's with AT&T's network. I live less than 2 miles from a big AT&T complex and I get only three bars.

+++

I live in NYC, in an area where I never received a signal with the 3GS and a very poor signal with the dumbphone I was using when I lost the 3GS (wanted to wait till the iPhone 4 was released) and have excellent signal.

I have even started picking up a faint signal inside some subway stations.

Unlike the 3GS, which I wanted to jailbreak a week or so in, I have not even thought about JB'ing the iPhone.

It is a fantastic device, and the reception problems have been way overblown.
  • Reply 68 of 188
    What's funny is that sometimes when I press *3001#1245#* and apply the death touch, radio strength sometimes increases. Not a lot, but usually 5 db or so. The other times it drops between 8 and 12 db. Then there are times it stays the same. I don't drop calls, so it's a non-issue for me.
  • Reply 69 of 188
    Laughable. People who have the problem still get a case. It's what they should have done from the beginning.
  • Reply 70 of 188
    Quote:

I could see why you'd say that, but I disagree. Cupping the left corner drops about 2 bars of reception. On the other hand, the new antenna design gives me noticeably better reception when it is not cupped. Calls from my bedroom used to drop every 10 minutes or so. Now drops are pretty rare.

Apple External Antenna Design:

Pros

+Better reception (usually)

+External rigidity (no more hairline fractures hopefully)

+Increased internal volume

+thinner design

Cons

-Drops 2 bars when cupped

Apple provided complimentary covers to early customers who may have been uninformed about the antenna issue. After 3 months, it no secret and I see no reason why Apple should be vilified for discontinuing this program.
  • Reply 71 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Consumer Reports refusal to recommend the iPhone 4 is their business. They are perfectly within their rights to do so. But it does seem that consumers are not following their advice on this one. iPhone 4 sales continue to mount up. The antenna non-issue has completely disappeared from the tech blog radar screens. Nobody seems to care anymore, including Cnet. Like someone posted earlier the only ones still hammering away are the Android bots and Ireland, of course.

This says more about Consumer Report's ability to influence people than it does about Apple ending the free bumper program.

You don't understand. You can't just disagree with Consumer Reports. They must be either stupid or corrupt.
  • Reply 72 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mellott124 View Post

Can't say I really care.

Can't say that I"m really shocked. CR basically has to continue to 'not recommend' the phone until the hardware changes because to do anything else is to admit that they were wrong.
  • Reply 73 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Can't say that I"m really shocked. CR basically has to continue to 'not recommend' the phone until the hardware changes because to do anything else is to admit that they were wrong.

Ah hah! So that's what they're up to! Those devils!

Of course you could make the argument that Apple wont fix the problem because if they do it would be admitting that they designed the antenna wrong. Hmmm....
  • Reply 74 of 188
    I got my first iPhone about a week ago and use the Fido network in Canada. If I avoid touching the bottom left divider, I get 3 or so bars. If I press the divider, it drops to 1 bar and sometimes I get a No Network message. I have a case on order. I am very pleased with all the other aspects of the iPhone and marvel at how the world has changed from when I started using computers with an IBM 1620, a Selectric typewriter and paper tape in 1961.

Tom
  • Reply 75 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

You guys notice that Consumer Reports is moderating the comment field on their YouTube video. They are not letting any comments through that disagree with their opinion. So much for representing the consumer.... I guess they think censorship is good for us?

Have you ever looked at the Apple forums? They're as agressive as anyone with pruning their forums to "eliminate problems." I think besides AppleCare, deleting forum posts is their top way of dealing with customer dissatisfaction...
  • Reply 76 of 188
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Then why do only a tiny minority experience it?
  • Reply 77 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Ah hah! So that's what they're up to! Those devils!

Of course you could make the argument that Apple wont fix the problem because if they do it would be admitting that they designed the antenna wrong. Hmmm....

Videos in UTUBE clearly show that the problem is prevalent with other phones as well - eg: NOKIA and BLACKBERRY. Why CR is not pursuing them to give free cases or fix the fundamental flaw?

CR is trying to be nasty to Apple while silent / ok to others. Organizations like CR should be un-biased. If they get biased - then they loose their credibility over the years.
  • Reply 78 of 188
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

You are speaking from personal use? That is not relevant to the rest of the US or the world.

As irrelevant as this, maybe?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

If (and I know it's true, I returned my iPhone 4) you can reproduce a drop in signal by using 1 finger to touch 1 simple spot (the most used spot by most consumers) then it is a design flaw.

You started your post somewhat reasonably but little by little beginning to show your true color.
  • Reply 79 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kzbk81 View Post

Videos in UTUBE clearly show that the problem is prevalent with other phones as well - eg: NOKIA and BLACKBERRY. Why CR is not pursuing them to give free cases or fix the fundamental flaw?

CR is trying to be nasty to Apple while silent / ok to others. Organizations like CR should be un-biased. If they get biased - then they loose their credibility over the years.

I don't own one of the other phones, so I can only quote what others say. The problem exists on the iPhone 4 when you hold it in your left hand "in a natural way." On the other phones, you have to grip them tightly on purpose to make it happen. That's how it looks in the videos that Apple used to have on the site.
  • Reply 80 of 188
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Consumer Reports: aren't those the cunts that couldn't decide if Antennagate was real? Get it right.