More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has dropped all FW400 from their systems, so I can’t see them adding FW400 without the power. It’s 9-pin FW800+ or nothing at all. THe best we can hope for on that front is Apple making a new 9-[n connector that is smaller like they did with mDP, but I doubt that device like teh MBA needs it. It needs USB for iDevices, power and external monitor. That’s it.

The iPhone/iPod/iPad connector is pretty flexible (serial, audio, video, USB, FireWire, etc).

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...nd_iPhone_dock

I have an iPod Video that can take either USB or FireWire to charge but only syncs with FW.

AIR, it works with everything you can connect to an iPod-- TV via Universal Dock, iPad HiFi, etc.

The actual thickness of the iPhone/iPod/iPad connector is half as thick as either a USB or FireWire Connector.

They could easily add a single connector to any thin device (like the MBA, then, if the specs permit, fan that out to multiple connectors ala the iPad CCK.

I know that with FW you can daisy-chain multiple devices and also run one Mac from another -- it seems that these would very desirable capabilities for something like the MBA (or iPad) with minimal onboard I/O.

• Reply 62 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me.

That settles it. Apple should drop their plan for the Air immediately as it doesn't meet YOUR needs!
  • Reply 63 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has dropped all FW400 from their systems, so I can’t see them adding FW400 without the power. It’s 9-pin FW800+ or nothing at all. THe best we can hope for on that front is Apple making a new 9-[n connector that is smaller like they did with mDP, but I doubt that device like teh MBA needs it. It needs USB for iDevices, power and external monitor. That’s it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

To me and everyone like me who already has everything else that Apple makes and still has some money left over.

I don't have much left over, but decided that AAPL has been pretty good to me. I used that to rationalize buying the $190 app linked in my sig. Basically it is an app that lets people who can't speak, speak through their iPhone, Touch or iPad.

We have no need for this app, but we have acquaintances with special needs people. We put the app on all our iPhones and iPads (including 4 SIMless iPhones).

We plan to show this to anyone who will listen and already have friends setup to borrow the devices with the app.

For the record, we have no ties (financial or otherwise) with the company -- found about about it yesterday (article on slashdot) and bought the app -- that's it.

However, I truly believe in supporting companies that provide solutions like this.

• Reply 64 of 110
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me. I like to crunch video, and audio with my computer. That's never going to happen with an underpowered thing like the Air. I have too many things that I want to connect to my computer, the Air loses again here. I'm usually doing several things at once. I'm still amazed that I don't have to use multifinder... I would never want to go back to a computer that needs to use multifinder.

I'm sure it's the wave of the future.

I don't care to any reason you gave here. I just want a slim mac, easy to bring with me, fast to get on, and pleasant to edit documents (iworks one, intranet website, browse internet for documentation) in my work.

a mba is enough to read movies. you can really use xcode 4 on it (and of course to connect an external display) and a joy in casual writing and browsing.

I'm also glad macbook pro of flaming death are available for others people. the mbp is a great powerful computer.
  • Reply 65 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

"Hey, 13.3, you're lookin' fine today...."

Complement vs. compliment is elementary school vocabulary curriculum. Sad.

The MBP 13inch is staying in the line. The MBAir is the new baby in the lineup.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ungenio View Post

...on my part, but it seems as if we are looking from the top of the notebook, not the bottom, as it would be on an unibody desing... See the recess space to place your thumb and open the screen? Shouldn't be visible from bottom

Update: Oh, wait, I realize now, that's also the thinnest part of the notebook. The recess would be visible from bottom

what is the MBA good for then??
  • Reply 67 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I was really looking for a bit better specs. I like everything about this except the non-updated specs. The current air is somewhat slow in normal use.

For who? For someone with pro needs? Yes, slow and behind the times.

As an entry level MacBook? Perfect.

I think the key here is price. Apple wants this new small Air to replace the white MacBook, IMO. It may even be priced at $899. And while that won't work for most of us, who are looking to increase performance with our next Mac, there are still are large % of Mac buyers that are new to Mac, and having a great product to offer at entry level is key.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    I think the MBA (13" and 11") would be great for writers and beat reporters, if the price is right. Beat reporters need something they can quickly toss into their satchel and run off to get that story. They don't need a lot of connections, or peripherals, just something they can jot notes and ideas down while they're in the field. Lugging a larger laptop around would be a hassle, I think (though many reporters currently do that). Another advantage the MBA has in this area is that it's all solid-state, which potentially makes it more durable?also important if you're a reporter chasing after a story.

And, if you're a writer, or a very disciplined English major, then you don't need a whole lot of memory or storage space or DVD drive, etc.
  • Reply 69 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me. I like to crunch video, and audio with my computer. That's never going to happen with an underpowered thing like the Air. I have too many things that I want to connect to my computer, the Air loses again here. I'm usually doing several things at once. I'm still amazed that I don't have to use multifinder... I would never want to go back to a computer that needs to use multifinder.

I'm sure it's the wave of the future.

I could rip this post apart, but instead I'll just thank you for clarifying the difference between the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro.

Thanks.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Apple did a much better "Job" of disguising the new 7' iPad from folks until it's announced

Skip
  • Reply 71 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

To all those speculating extensively (i.e. ), the "Back to the Mac" moniker could just simply mean that the keynote and event will focus on the Mac platform in terms of a preview of 10.7 and new hardware releases (new MacBook Air + possibly refreshed MacBook's and MacBook Pro's in time for the holiday season). I think, as always, people are reading way way too much into this. I could be wrong but I think people need to get off the kool-aid and just wake up.

Doubtless after Wednesday's announcement, this forum will be filled with complaints about how people's expectations were not fulfilled:

? I was really hoping I could edit full 1080p on the 11" MBA!

? Geez. What a let down. I was wanting to be able to work with my 4k RED video. Come on Apple!

? Where's the SQUID interface??? (this will be my complaint! )

All sarcasm aside, I think the whole "Back to the Mac" theme simply means that this past year has been pretty heavily focused on i-devices: iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS. So, on Wednesday, they're gonna remind us that they've been working hard behind the scenes in the Mac OS arena, and are ready to show us what they've done.
  • Reply 72 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Doubtless after Wednesday's announcement, this forum will be filled with complaints about how people's expectations were not fulfilled:

? I was really hoping I could edit full 1080p on the 11" MBA!

? Geez. What a let down. I was wanting to be able to work with my 4k RED video. Come on Apple!

? Where's the SQUID interface??? (this will be my complaint! )

All sarcasm aside, I think the whole "Back to the Mac" theme simply means that this past year has been pretty heavily focused on i-devices: iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS. So, on Wednesday, they're gonna remind us that they've been working hard behind the scenes in the Mac OS arena, and are ready to show us what they've done.

Nice movie reference.
  • Reply 73 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

4 GB RAM would be nice - I have a Mini with 2 GBs and when using more than 3-4 programs I get a beachball quite often....

But this machine would be a great replacement for my 12' PowerBook G4. ;-)

Which Mini?
  • Reply 74 of 110
    Being as the official announcement is mere days away, it makes sense to wait for that to figure out what Apple is up to.

What's noteworthy, though, is that certainly it's clear that the iPad is nowhere close to replacing existing products. As such, there will be attention given to products like the Air and all of Apple's other machines. As noted above, the iPad has its advantages but if you're headed abroad and you need something to work with away from home, the iPad simply doesn't get it done. For example, two years ago I was shooting HD video with a hybrid camera that needs 8GB for a mere 20 minutes of video. I bought a netbook instead of still more SD cards because it was cost effective. The iPad, with its small storage capacity, would not be an alternative.

Maybe in three or four years, the iPad will evolve into a proper laptop substitute but right now, it's not even close.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Being as the official announcement is mere days away, it makes sense to wait for that to figure out what Apple is up to.

What's noteworthy, though, is that certainly it's clear that the iPad is nowhere close to replacing existing products. As such, there will be attention given to products like the Air and all of Apple's other machines. As noted above, the iPad has its advantages but if you're headed abroad and you need something to work with away from home, the iPad simply doesn't get it done. For example, two years ago I was shooting HD video with a hybrid camera that needs 8GB for a mere 20 minutes of video. I bought a netbook instead of still more SD cards because it was cost effective. The iPad, with its small storage capacity, would not be an alternative.

Maybe in three or four years, the iPad will evolve into a proper laptop substitute but right now, it's not even close.

I don?t disagree with your decision or that the iPad was not designed with that advanced purpose in mind, but don?t have they external HDDs that allow you to offload data from SD cards?
  • Reply 76 of 110
    Quote:

Thank God not you.

Sounds like you also get pissed off at bicyclists.

Do you really think that anybody really cares would you like to do?
  • Reply 77 of 110
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

It would still be i5/i7, just speed bumps for the processors.

I agree. Looking on wikipedia, the i5 560m and 580m are out as well as the i7 640m as of Sept 26th. This would mean approximate 133MHz speed bumps across the MBP line, replacing the 520M, 540M and 620M respectively.

However, no idea if the info on wikipedia is accurate or not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ile_processors

Perhaps the MBA will have an i7 660LM in it? http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49654
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

I agree. Looking on wikipedia, the i5 560m and 580m are out as well as the i7 640m as of Sept 26th. This would mean approximate 133MHz speed bumps across the MBP line, replacing the 520M, 540M and 620M respectively.

However, no idea if the info on wikipedia is accurate or not:

Perhaps the MBA will have an i7 660LM in it? http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49654

Why do you think Apple would jump from using 17W chips to 35W chips? Why not the CULVs like tey currently use? How will they tackle the DMI issue, by sticking with Intel HD IGP or using a dGPU?
  • Reply 79 of 110
    It will also be the first Mac to come with built in 3G.
  • Reply 80 of 110
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allotrope View Post

It will also be the first Mac to come with built in 3G.

I hope so!