More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    ...on my part, but it seems as if we are looking from the top of the notebook, not the bottom, as it would be on an unibody desing... See the recess space to place your thumb and open the screen? Shouldn't be visible from bottom

Update: Oh, wait, I realize now, that's also the thinnest part of the notebook. The recess would be visible from bottom
  • Reply 22 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToeCutter View Post

Good eye! I didn't look that closely (viewing on iPad).

From the looks of it, the new SSD appears to be plugged into a PCI slot as well. That would allow it to be blistering FAST. Also, I'm sure some SSD distros would figure out some aftermarket offerings to increase the capacity.

Apple really needs a sub-13" portable. I have colleagues that still use their 12" PowerBooks, I've even considered snagging one myself.

Also, limiting the new MBA to 2GB would catastrophic IMHO. With so many folks virtualizing Windows these days (because CRM systems STILL don't support Mac), having at least 4GB is mandatory.

I've been anticipating the release of a ~12" MacBook for years. I hope Apple gets it right. They've pulling some confusing moves with the Mac lineup, despite such simple requirements for their portables.

Welcome to AI. Very well said.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The 11.6-inch model can be great to carry for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations if it is light enough.

This is one of the few productivity tasks the iPad is actually good at too though and it's lighter with a larger screen.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me. I like to crunch video, and audio with my computer. That's never going to happen with an underpowered thing like the Air. I have too many things that I want to connect to my computer, the Air loses again here. I'm usually doing several things at once. I'm still amazed that I don't have to use multifinder... I would never want to go back to a computer that needs to use multifinder.

I'm sure it's the wave of the future.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Despite what Engadget suggests, I'm not convinced this is a 13" unit (or alternately, if it is 13", they've finally managed to do something about that screen bezel). Using the perspective correction and measurement tools in Photoshop, and extrapolating based on the known size of the SD card slot, suggests this is roughly about 1/2" shallower and 3/4" narrower than a current MacBook Air, which would be consistent with an 11.6" screen and typical bezel size. Reinforcing this idea, overlaying the image on a photo of a current-generation Air, if scaled in such a manner to keep the corner radius and corner screw placement consistent between the two, again suggests a slightly reduced size. The Air is a niche item as it is, doesn't seem likely they would extend the line much, so my hunch is that we'll see a single form factor using an 11.6" screen as has been reported.
  • Reply 26 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Honestly if you are going to all the trouble to use a new card format, hopefully setting standards for the future, SATA is a mistake. A big mistake as even modest flash systems can outstrip it speed wise. So I'm hoping this report is a mistake!

As to the Core2 if it is indeed used it will likely be because Apple didn't have much of a choice. The only thing new on the market that is suitable for such a small machine is AMD's Bobcat based Fusion chips. Even then there is a question of performance that can be had from Fusion. Core 2 may have been the best compromise at the time that the prototype was built. Even now Intel offers little in the way of better chips. I could see an AMD design win if they can get Zacate to run at 2.2GHZ with reasonable power levels in the thirteen inch model and 1.6 GHz in the 11" model. I know it is a stretch but I'm hoping the long delay with respect to an AIR update is due to a midcourse change to Bobcat based Fusion chips.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    After having my iPad for just over a month I can safely say I prefer that to a notebook no matter how thin. Of course my needs aren't the same as other people's needs so I'm not going to say the MBA makes no sense.

There's only one thing I can see the MBA being better used for in my job and that's configuring switches via a console cable as currently there is no supported way of doing that on an iPad. If there was there would be absolutely no reason for a laptop for me now that Parallels has that ability to be remotely used from an iPad... well once I reconfigure my modem which seems to be blocking the ports I need to get it and Back To My Mac running.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph;

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me. I like to crunch video, and audio with my computer. That's never going to happen with an underpowered thing like the Air. I have too many things that I want to connect to my computer, the Air loses again here. I'm usually doing several things at once. I'm still amazed that I don't have to use multifinder... I would never want to go back to a computer that needs to use multifinder.

To a much larger audience than you represent.
  • Reply 29 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie;

After having my iPad for just over a month I can safely say I prefer that to a notebook no matter how thin. Of course my needs aren't the same as other people's needs so I'm not going to say the MBA makes no sense.

There's only one thing I can see the MBA being better used for in my job and that's configuring switches via a console cable as currently there is no supported way of doing that on an iPad. If there was there would be absolutely no reason for a laptop for me now that Parallels has that ability to be remotely used from an iPad... well once I reconfigure my modem which seems to be blocking the ports I need to get it and Back To My Mac running.

And after having my iPad for 6 months now I no longer accept it's limitations when traveling. I want something small and light. But I also need something that has more functionality than the iPad delivers. For the couch, the iPad is great and serves my purpose 80% of the time. But when I'm on the road, that missing 20% becomes a real problem.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

Apple isn't pitching anything, this is a rumor.

Maybe you can hold off your whines and complaints, because you never know what Apple might release. I hear they are interested in cracking into the infant & whiny brat demographic. They might even offer a model with a milk bottle, a fresh diaper and a big huge STFU port for you.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

Who is Apple pitching this product towards?.

The MBA is in the so-called "ultra-portable" laptop market. Intel Core class CPUs (as opposed to Atom) with 12+ inch screens at 1280x800 sized resolution. Ie, for people who are on the go a lot and would pay a premium for a super light weight machine that's less than 3 lb, but still has a modicum of power, screen size and full keyboard. Going from a 3 lb to a 4.5+ lb laptop is significant.

Obviously, this market is a niche, but it has some high profit margins. It's not that different from gaming laptops or workstation laptops in terms of niche-ness.

Now, if Apple decides to slot this into their laptop lineup instead of overlapping the MBP, it'll get interesting. Say, MBP is >$1499, MB is $999, and this thing is at $1299, it could get interesting. I'm doubting it though. It'll just stay as a nice niche product for them.

Me, I wouldn't need it and a MBP is up my alley at work. At home, iMac + iOS device would satisfy me. But there are those who would need it: on-the-go bloggers, on-the-go business people, on-the-go managers.
  • Reply 32 of 110
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Btw, I wonder if those are iPad batteries?

If so, it'll have about 50 Watt-hour batteries making it a bit bigger than the current 40 Watt-hour. So, it could be a 10+ hour machine for light websurfing and H.264 video after so good fine-tuning with a newer rev of Mac OS X. Also, makes it cheaper.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

The MacBook Air is too thin to fit a FW port.

Why no adapter for Ethernet and F/W?
  • Reply 34 of 110
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me. I like to crunch video, and audio with my computer. That's never going to happen with an underpowered thing like the Air.

Correct. The Air is not designed to crunch video. Then again, video crunchers are in the minority of laptop users.

Quote:

I have too many things that I want to connect to my computer, the Air loses again here.

Where by "loses" you mean "the wrong tool for the job I had in mind." But again, most people looking for a highly portable laptop probably aren't overly concerned with plugging in "many things." So I guess the answer to who Apple is pitching this to is "people who don't intend to crunch video and don't need to plug in many things, i.e. "most laptop users."

Quote:

I'm usually doing several things at once. I'm still amazed that I don't have to use multifinder... I would never want to go back to a computer that needs to use multifinder.

Ha ha, Multifinder. Wait, what?

Quote:

Like... multifinder.....many things.......not...... video....... tired now.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

"Hey, 13.3, you're lookin' fine today...."

Complement vs. compliment is elementary school vocabulary curriculum. Sad.

These is just the rumors n blog site so their no need grammar are good. An stuff.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    See, this is what I love about Apple: I don't even know what the heck they're selling, but I already want to buy it.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I wouldn't be surprised if the mixed messages (11.6" vs. 13.3", compact SSD-like mass storage, etc.) indicate multiple models. Not just different-sized MacBook Airs, but a MacBook Air and a new unibody aluminum basic MacBook.

The new basic MacBook could get the 11.6" screen and start at $799. The new MacBook Air will presumably be thinner and lighter than the current one, thanks in part to the ultra-compact solid state mass storage. And it would stay at 13.3". Just a thought.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I only enlarged the FW800, MDP & USB to illustrate my point that the new MacBook Air has no space for a (large) FireWire port, if it is allegedly only the height of a USB - 0.5cm
  • Reply 39 of 110
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

There already is an adaptor for Ethernet (plugging into the single USB port). And none of the FW advantages (speed, FW-target mode, peer-to-peer) would work if channeled through a USB port. They naturally could invent a mini-FW or mini-Ethernet port, akin to the mini-DP port.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    So yes, there's all kind of buzz about the next-gen MacBook Air. But I wouldn't be surprised if Steve shocked us with some avant-garde Mac OS and Mac news too. I think we're all expecting some kind of hybridization of iOS multi-touch and traditional Mac OS X. Steve will probably lay out the groundwork for that, starting with 10.7. (And I would expect 10.7 to be the final revision of Mac OS X before Mac OS 11, or whatever it will be called. Hence the codename "Lion," the ultimate Big Cat.)

But what about hardware? The event's title is "Back to the Mac," which could imply some kind of hardware feature migration from iDevices "back to" iMacs, Mac Pros, and MacBooks. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the laptops (if anything) announced at the event will use an A4 or more advanced custom variant of the ARM reference design.

Apple didn't spend $278 million acquiring PA Semi just to have them warm over the ARM chip for iPhone, Apple TV, iPad, and iPod touch. (Intrinsity, which Apple acquired more recently, did all that iDevice tweaking.)

So maybe Steve will announce Apple's plan to split from Intel. A true, custom Apple-proprietary chip would give Apple independence from the Intels and AMDs of the world. Apple wouldn't need to wait for Intel to release new chips to everyone. And a proprietary chip would kill the "hackintosh" market dead.

It would also lower Apple's hardware production costs somewhat. Especially if their custom chip could be scaled from iPod touch up to medium-level MacBooks. There might always be Xserves and Mac Pros running Intel chips, for heavy number crunching and render farms. But the consumer portables and desktops could eventually be migrated to a proprietary Apple system on a chip.

Of course, that would require a huge amount of work on iOS and/or Mac OS. But that's what Apple is good at. Trying many variations, pruning the choices down, then picking the best possible solution and polishing it until it's ready for release.

All that hardware and software blood, sweat, and tears would be worth it. Apple would finally have their own ultra-efficient hardware custom made for, and tightly integrated with, their own OS. The end result being, of course, the best user experience on the planet.