Samsung announces new Galaxy Tab models with iPad prices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 139
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

It's clearly a personal judgement.

Given the multi-billion dollar business happening in the app store, I wouldn't merely qualify it as "taste".

Quote:

I'm willing to bet you're not qualified to speak to the implementation of Flash 10.2. It is HW accelerated. Whether it fully plays nicely with the plugin container for the Android 3.0 browser is another matter, and that's why it's still beta.

So it is HW accelerated, but it still doesn't work as if it was HW accelerated. Ahhh, geek talk. I just love it.

Quote:

It was certainly implied by your contempt for the presence of Flash on Honeycomb. Why else would you be so up in arms about it?

Because the only reason people make such a fuss about it is because it's a selling point for non-apple products to be pundited about. And so it gets overblown out of proportions. It doesn't mean it's not a selling point for android.

As I said in my second post or smth, android will sell "flash" while apple will sell "apps". And in the long run, it may be the case that the iPad itself may harbor flash, if it works as well as you publicitize. Or not. We all know SJ is somewhat terrible in his stubborness.
  • Reply 42 of 139
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As of now, it's vaporware.

I saw a dumb video on engadget and they were showing both tablets, but they couldn't even be powered on. What's the use of showing a video of two blank screens with nothing on them?

Exactly.

One never knows if these cheap (well not so cheap) knock offs will ever come to the market. As of now there are at least 10 to 15 iPad killers that have been announced but have never been seen in the wild.

And the ones that have seen the light of the day - well the less said the better. All of them are basically unadulterated crap. There is absolutely nothing compelling about the Galaxy or the Xoom or any of the other crap out there.

I would spend $100 on the Xoom or Galaxy - anything more is a total waste of money.
  • Reply 43 of 139
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

All excellent reasons to buy a tablet from a company that just dumped an entire product line before release because it wasn't good enough and is now showing plastic mock-ups instead.

precisely, samsung are horrible also at supporting their products...and let's not go into the software side at all, good luck with finding out who's gonna support this tablet, non existent google customer support, or non existent samsung support.
  • Reply 44 of 139
    Quote:

Technology did not exist in 2004. It does now. Listen to Apple -- HTML5 is ridiculously powerful. You can even do full out 3D.

That I've been hearing since 2007.
  • Reply 45 of 139
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Then you've been listening to remarkably stupid people. It isn't even quite here yet, until web sockets is finally finalized this year.
  • Reply 46 of 139
    Quote:

I have to qualify this snarky remark of mine. Look, I am an architect. Autodesk, for example, has made an insanely good web app called "Autocad WS" which is autocad, free of charge, in a flash site.

Great innit? I mean, just look at it. AutoCAD in the NETZ! And it's flash! Wow, now Xoom can use it and the iPad is in the dark, right? Right?

Ahhh, nope. You see, the flash site is incredibly slow. How could it not be? It's a full blown CAD application in flash. I can't even think how it will behave in the Xoom or in the Samsung Tab.

And for the iPhone and the iPad... well, guess what? Autodesk made a *very silly* free app just for them. Now these *silly* users using *silly* apps like Autocad for the ipad can use this app exactly just like the xoom users.... except that in the ipad's case, it uses its own HW api, and it's uber fast.

But that's just me and my silly apps, you know?
  • Reply 47 of 139
    Android tablet users don't seem to mind the buggy OS or that Flash always seems to be "coming soon" or the lack of real apps, but oh dear LORD did they laugh and complain when the iPhone was released without copy and paste. The double standard is amazing.
  • Reply 48 of 139
    Quote:

Given the multi-billion dollar business happening in the app store, I wouldn't merely qualify it as "taste".

So the presence of a market eliminates it from being taste? So I presume you don't think liking Justin Bieber is a matter of taste, either.

Quote:

So it is HW accelerated, but it still doesn't work as if it was HW accelerated. Ahhh, geek talk. I just love it.

Your claim was it doesn't have HW accelerated Flash. It does. And it does behave like it does.

Quote:

Because the only reason people make such a fuss about it is because it's a selling point for non-apple products to be pundited about. And so it gets overblown out of proportions. It doesn't mean it's not a selling point for android.

As I said in my second post or smth, android will sell "flash" while apple will sell "apps". And in the long run, it may be the case that the iPad itself may harbor flash, if it works as well as you publicitize. Or not. We all know SJ is somewhat terrible in his stubborness.

I very much doubt iPad will ever get Flash. I'm very confident Android will get many, many apps.
  • Reply 49 of 139
    Quote:

Then you've been listening to remarkably stupid people. It isn't even quite here yet, until web sockets is finally finalized this year.

Soooo we won't have 3d apps for the xoom no time soon, huh? Let me hit the snooze button then...
  • Reply 50 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

It's insane. Here we have a major corporation that just unceremoniously dumped its existing plans and went back to the drawing board after merely seeing the competition (which has been out for all of a week). We don't even have iPad 2 sales figures yet. There's nothing good that can be taken away from this story.

I'm not sure this is a good position to be arguing from, considering the shelflife of the iPad (1). And the rumoured iPad 3 in the fall...
  • Reply 51 of 139
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Quote:

The Honeycomb UI is the one reason I cancelled my iPad 2 order and will be waiting for the Tab 10.1. I'm far too much of a multitasker to comfortably use the iOS UI. The lack of real tabbed browsing is massively annoying as well -- Honeycomb's Chrome-like browser is a huge plus for me, considering 99% of my use will be web browsing. The fact that it has a superior gmail client and notifications is also what pushes me over the edge, as when I'm not using it to browse the web, I'll be in gmail.

I thought the same thing about using Safari on my iPad, until I came across Terra. I love having tabs and a Firefox/Chrome like browser. Thankfully, there was an app for that.
  • Reply 52 of 139
    Quote:

I have to qualify this snarky remark of mine. Look, I am an architect. Autodesk, for example, has made an insanely good web app called "Autocad WS" which is autocad, free of charge, in a flash site.

Great innit? I mean, just look at it. AutoCAD in the NETZ! And it's flash! Wow, now Xoom can use it and the iPad is in the dark, right? Right?

Ahhh, nope. You see, the flash site is incredibly slow. How could it not be? It's a full blown CAD application in flash. I can't even think how it will behave in the Xoom or in the Samsung Tab.

And for the iPhone and the iPad... well, guess what? Autodesk made a *very silly* free app just for them. Now these *silly* users using *silly* apps like Autocad for the ipad can use this app exactly just like the xoom users.... except that in the ipad's case, it uses its own HW api, and it's uber fast.

But that's just me and my silly apps, you know?

Wow, if they can make autocad in an app you'd think they could make an app to help with condo shopping so you wouldn't have to rely on Flash.
  • Reply 53 of 139
    Quote:

Quote:

So the presence of a market eliminates it from being taste? So I presume you don't think liking Justin Bieber is a matter of taste, either.

Actually I quite suspect that it has to do with brain malfunction.

Quote:

Your claim was it doesn't have HW accelerated Flash. It does. And it does behave like it does.

Every reviewing site I've visited claimed otherwise. You, otoh, are an anonymous commenter on the netz. Color me unimpressed.

Quote:

I very much doubt iPad will ever get Flash. I'm very confident Android will get many, many apps.

Yeah.
  • Reply 54 of 139
    Quote:

Soooo we won't have 3d apps for the xoom no time soon, huh? Let me hit the snooze button then...

What? There are already 3D apps on the Xoom. I've seen great looking 3D games demoed on the Xoom and on the Tab 10.1.

3D webapps are also possible on Android 2.2 & 3.0. Firefox for Android supports WebGL. I haven't checked if the Android Browser does yet...but if it doesn't, it very shortly will considering Google's pushing WebGL hard right now and supports it in Chrome.

Edit: It's coming to the Android Browser soon also. They've got working prototypes. http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/develo...d-web-browser/
  • Reply 55 of 139
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    They are getting closer through, time to knockoff is improving. My guess is that Apple will do something really cool with the OS next to keep the distance.
  • Reply 56 of 139
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

It wouldn't happen if DED didn't warp the facts so much that he verges on political al spin. He fails to mention both samsungs are 2mm thinner than the ipad 2. It was only 2 weeks ago that everyone was raving that nobody could unveil a tablet as thin as the ipad. Samsung have just gone and beat it.

No doubt DED would have mentioned it if the ipad was 2mm thinner

Well if you actually read the article and look at the facts, it's not a matter of 2 mm, but rather 0.2 mm -- a quarter the thickness of your fingernail. Which is not very significant, but DED did clearly articulate that the Sammy tab is thinner:

"iPad 2 is .34 inches thick, a difference of a quarter of a millimeter"

So that makes you wrong. You are "warping the facts," not the author of this article. DED also never said "nobody could unveil a tablet as thin as the iPad." Putting lies in other people's mouths is the kind of thing I see a lot in AI comments on DED. Why is that? Does he scare you with facts? I have yet to see any significant errors apart from the typos and insignificant slips. But the scathing attacks in the comments on his articles are almost always incorrect once you look into them.
  • Reply 57 of 139
    For such rugged individualists that hate Apples walled garden Android users certainly do LOVE being inside Flash's walled garden.
  • Reply 58 of 139
    Quote:

What? There are already 3D apps on the Xoom.

I typoed. Meant webapps.

Quote:

3D webapps are also possible on Android 2.2 & 3.0. Firefox for Android supports WebGL. I haven't checked if the Android Browser does yet...but if it doesn't, it very shortly will considering Google's pushing WebGL hard right now and supports it in Chrome.

WebGL is great. Considering that it is managed by Google, Apple, Mozilla and Opera, I'd say no one will be left out of that ship.
  • Reply 59 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

For such rugged individualists that hate Apples walled garden Android users certainly do LOVE being inside Flash's walled garden.

Sadly this makes no sense at all.

The Android browser supports more HTML5 features then Safari Mobile does, in addition to Flash (which can be disabled). Where is the wall?
  • Reply 60 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

It wouldn't happen if DED didn't warp the facts so much that he verges on political al spin. He fails to mention both samsungs are 2mm thinner than the ipad 2. ...

I don't see it. In fact your post seems far more biased to me.

The author does also mention mention the Samsung tablet is thinner, but it's only a quarter to a half a millimetre thinner, not 2mm. So you just have that wrong I guess.

I know Daniel spins articles sometimes (more on his own site than here), but I think when people talk about "how biased he is" it's only because they are literally too ignorant to understand what "bias" and spin really are.

Merely mentioning bad things about Android products is not "bias," it's only bias if they are mentioned and they are wrong, or conspicuously not mentioned at all. Conversely, an article doesn't have to have an equal number of pros and cons from both sides in order to be considered unbiased. It has to instead present the facts.

There aren't always two equally valid "sides" to an issue or story.