Samsung announces new Galaxy Tab models with iPad prices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    I actually applaud samsung's efforts it takes alot for a company to say "look what we got just isnt going to cut it" and then go back to the drawing board and start from square one. How the product actually turns out could be a different story, but judging from the specs it should be a fairly awesome tablet. We cant judge what we dont know so until then we will have to wait.
  • Reply 22 of 139
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sure, but at some point this becomes untenable. You're actually endorsing the "big phone" theory of tablets, whereas the smart money is on tablets supplanting laptops for a lot of people.

So does that mean everyone just stops doing anything but surf the web and exchange emails? If so, what's the advantage of cool "multitasking"? Not much tasking going on at all, as far as I can see.

More apps will come for Honeycomb, but what sort? More Twitter clients? More web services repackaged as apps?

It would be pretty funny if the iPad became the "productivity, when you want to do real work" tablet and Android became the "whatever, just want to look at the web" device.

If there's demand, the apps will come. If there's no demand, they won't. The market will work itself out. All of the arguments focusing on the app selection a couple months after a product launches are desperate and pretty silly.

As for tablets supplanting laptops -- I'm not sure the argument is in iOS's favour here. Honeycomb is inarguably a far better laptop replacement than iOS is with its much saner notification system and multitasking implementation. Not to mention support for Flash (like it or not, still important to most people) and ability to get apps from outside a walled garden. The iPad is firmly planeted in the "supplemental device" category until it can mature its UI.
  • Reply 23 of 139
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

The people who want apps like GarageBand are already buying iPads. Frankly, I still don't see the allure to those types of apps.

From what I can see, the iPad will get people who like games and kind of silly apps like Garage Band, the Tab/Xoom will go for the web/email crowd. Which is a perfectly valid business model.

I can't say I'm losing any sleep wondering who will write Garage Band for Android... iPad users seemed to get along just fine without it until a couple weeks ago, too.

FWIW, I am an independent developer and I've got my eye towards Android right now. Anyone who has gone to a recent mobile dev conference will see that's where the attention is right now. And for good reason, just look at the marketshare and trends.

So GarageBand is "kind of silly"? I don't think legions of musicians will fell that way. What else is kind of silly? Keynote? Pages? iMovie?

You're basically dismissing computing as we've known it just to support the reality of Android as it currently exists for tablets. I'm wondering how many people will share your desire for an expensive web client when they can have that and a great deal more for the same price.
  • Reply 24 of 139
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:

"KTHNKSBYE"? The kind of maturity one should expect here, I guess.

Obviously Honeycomb doesn't have the iPad app selection right now. Obviously it will rapidly get many applications, just as Android has.

No it won't. iPad will still largely beat android's tablets this year, if Apple doesn't commit major mistakes in their distributive channells. And given the different market styles, where piracy is rampant on android, developers are probably 10 times more eager to join the app store than the google store.

So albeit the great app bubble in android store will come about, it will still be quite inferior to apple's in 2011.

Quote:

If you need a large selection of apps today, then obviously the iPad is the right tablet for you. Personally, I rarely use any apps on my iPhone 3GS aside from Facebook, Twitter, and Bloomberg so apps aren't a big deal to me. All of the apps I want to use are there already or will be soon.

This is irrelevant, I wasn't speaking as if apps are everyone's "killer app". I mentioned it as an important feature for many other people. You know, consumers.

Quote:

I'm most interested in the web browsing and email experience. If you want the silly apps and games, then the iPad is the way to go.

Because the internetz is seriouzz, and the apps are sillly. And I'm the immature? Puh lease.

Quote:

Flash is GPU accelerated in honeycomb. Regardless, if you don't want Flash, turn it off. I would ask you how long the iPad's battery life is with Flash, but that would be trolling.

Yes it would be. And correction, flash is *going* to be accelerated in honeycomb.

Quote:

Flash is still very useful. I was out condo shopping last weekend with my iPhone and was checking out competing condo sites, some of which are Flash-based websites. Staring at a giant empty box is infuriating to me. Give me the choice if I'd like to use Flash, even if it would hurt my battery.

I might agree with you on this.
  • Reply 25 of 139
    Somebody's got a bad case of iPad envy... and it's Samsung
  • Reply 26 of 139
    Quote:

So GarageBand is "kind of silly"? I don't think legions of musicians will fell that way. What else is kind of silly? Keynote? Pages? iMovie?

In my opinion, yes. I've never seen anyone use Keynote to do a presentation on an iPad/iPhone, and we have a LOT of iPads/iPhones around the office. Ditto for pages.

iMovie and GarageBand may be useful to some people, but they are undeniably silly. No serious musicians use GarageBand, no serious filmmakers use iMovie. They're for toying around.

Quote:

You're basically dismissing computing as we've known it just to support the reality of Android as it currently exists for tablets.

A bit of a hyperbole, don't you think?

I'm not saying apps aren't important, just that they aren't the be-all, end-all for most people. The iPhone went a whole year without them and still everyone wanted one. The apps will come, they just don't appear overnight. My position is that the people buying Tabs/Xooms are people who don't care much for the volume of apps in the iTunes store. That's all. In a year from now, there will be a tremendous amount of Android tablet apps.
  • Reply 27 of 139
    Quote:

If there's demand, the apps will come. If there's no demand, there's not. The market will work itself out.

As for tablets supplanting laptops -- I'm not sure the argument is in iOS's favour here. Honeycomb is inarguably a far better laptop replacement than iOS is with its much saner notification system and multitasking implementation. Not to mention support for Flash (like it or not, still important to most people) and ability to get apps from outside a walled garden.

Bizarre. You're actually championing the mechanics of the OS over what you can do with it. This seems to be a trend in Android circles-- using and Android is its own reward, as you admire your widgets and notifications. Apps? Pffft. Whatever. As long as I've got a browser.
  • Reply 28 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

No it won't. iPad will still largely beat android's tablets this year, if Apple doesn't commit major mistakes in their distributive channells. And given the different market styles, where piracy is rampant on android, developers are probably 10 times more eager to join the app store than the google store.

So albeit the great app bubble in android store will come about, it will still be quite inferior to apple's in 2011.

Probably. as I said, if you want the apps today, go for the iPad. It's a no-brainer. I find Honeycomb's UI for web browsing far more appealing to me than iPad's array of apps. That's my personal preference.

Quote:

Because the internetz is seriouzz, and the apps are sillly. And I'm the immature? Puh lease.

Take a look at the top 100 free apps and tell me "silly" is not a good word.

Quote:

Yes it would be. And correction, flash is *going* to be accelerated in honeycomb.

It already is. We've got 10.2 beta running on a Xoom in the office. It's far faster than you seem to think, and I haven't seen a noticeable battery hit. For all I know it may only last 7 hours of heavy flash browsing instead of 10 for the vanilla web, but I'm not concerned.

Quote:

I might agree with you on this.

I'm glad. It's never bad to give people choice.
  • Reply 29 of 139
    Quote:

The people who want apps like GarageBand are already buying iPads. Frankly, I still don't see the allure to those types of apps.

There are people who really enjoy yellow. We just have to accept them as part of mankind I guess...

Quote:

From what I can see, the iPad will get people who like games and kind of silly apps like Garage Band, the Tab/Xoom will go for the web/email crowd. Which is a perfectly valid business model.

Yes, this is obviously true, except for the small minor detail of conflating the entire iPad's app marketplace as "games and gargebndsmth". Paraphrasing you, I could troll you and tell you that the only apps that android has is wallpapaerrz which in reality are just trojan horses... funnily enough, I wouldn't be too far from the truth.

Quote:

I can't say I'm losing any sleep wondering who will write Garage Band for Android... iPad users seemed to get along just fine without it until a couple weeks ago, too.

Fortunately, the future market demands do not satisfy themselves to the perceived needs of the past, for that would have meant the death of capitalism 70 years ago.

Quote:

FWIW, I am an independent developer and I've got my eye towards Android right now. Anyone who has gone to a recent mobile dev conference will see that's where the attention is right now. And for good reason, just look at the marketshare and trends.

Good luck for you. I think you are *wildly* mistaken, but if you aren't a google paid hack or a blind apologist, and a serious thinking person that reached said conclusion, well then have a shot at it. At least you are betting and working for something.

You could still try to dev for both platforms, since it's quite obvious where the market is right now.
  • Reply 30 of 139
    Quote:

Bizarre. You're actually championing the mechanics of the OS over what you can do with it. This seems to be a trend in Android circles-- using and Android is its own reward, as you admire your widgets and notifications. Apps? Pffft. Whatever. As long as I've got a browser.

Web Apps are coming. Be prepared.

The mechanics of the OS fundamentally affect how you use the device. The reason iPhones are way better than Symbian phones is because the "mechanics of the OS" are far better.

You're right in that people who use Android phones are probably less interested in apps. And what's wrong with that? People can use their device as they want. I've little to no interest in apps because I'm surrounded by powerful computers all the time which do most of those things better. I'm not impressed by the novelty of multitouch because I've worked with it for years on a large scale. Apps just aren't my thing, except for a couple notable ones.
  • Reply 31 of 139
    Quote:

In my opinion, yes. I've never seen anyone use Keynote to do a presentation on an iPad/iPhone, and we have a LOT of iPads/iPhones around the office. Ditto for pages.

There hasn't been a great way to move media off the iPad onto projector/monitors till now. We're talking about what the future holds. If tablets supplant laptops, do you reckon people will just stop doing presentations?

Quote:

iMovie and GarageBand may be useful to some people, but they are undeniably silly. No serious musicians use GarageBand, no serious filmmakers use iMovie. They're for toying around.

You've obviously never worked with the new GarageBand. And how is something better than nothing? Thank God my Android tablet isn't infested with all those apps that have somewhat less functionality than what I imagine optimal!

Quote:

A bit of a hyperbole, don't you think?

I'm not saying apps aren't important, just that they aren't the be-all, end-all for most people. The iPhone went a whole year without them and still everyone wanted one. The apps will come, they just don't appear overnight. My position is that the people buying Tabs/Xooms are people who don't care much for the volume of apps in the iTunes store. That's all. In a year from now, there will be a tremendous amount of Android tablet apps.

Of course they are. Applications are what allow you to do things with your computer. We're not talking about the dawn of multitouch computing anymore, as when the iPhone was released. We're talking about moving into the next phase of personal computing.

When GUIs supplanted text based interfaces, did anyone argue that being able to move icons around on the screen was plenty cool enough, thank you, and actually doing things wasn't really necessary? How much functionality are you willing to jettison, just because Android can't do it? And why?
  • Reply 32 of 139
    Quote:

Good luck for you. I think you are *wildly* mistaken, but if you aren't a google paid hack or a blind apologist, and a serious thinking person that reached said conclusion, well then have a shot at it. At least you are betting and working for something.

You could still try to dev for both platforms, since it's quite obvious where the market is right now.

Right now, the going rate for Android apps is about 50% higher than iPhone app development. It's not a bad bet.

Why is that? It's simple:

1) There is a far larger pool of existing iOS developers. Supply/demand.

2) The iOS app market is far more saturated, there's less opportunity and harder to break an app in ans get it popular with so much existing competition and entrenched applications

3) Many companies and apps already exist on the iPhone, but they were caught off guard by the explosion in Android popularity and want an Android app yesterday and will pay a premium for it.
  • Reply 33 of 139
    Quote:

There hasn't been a great way to move media off the iPad onto projector/monitors till now. We're talking about what the future holds. If tablets supplant laptops, do you reckon people will just stop doing presentations?

If we're talking about a hypothetical future, then why do you only look at Android in the present?

Quote:

You've obviously never worked with the new GarageBand. And how is something better than nothing? Thank God my Android tablet isn't infested with all those apps that have somewhat less functionality than what I imagine optimal!

This is a strawman. I'd be thrilled if Android had as many apps as the iOS store does. I just personally don't care, and I'm explaining it has little appeal for me and many other people I know.

Quote:

Of course they are. Applications are what allow you to do things with your computer. We're not talking about the dawn of multitouch computing anymore, as when the iPhone was released. We're talking about moving into the next phase of personal computing.

Speaking from experience, the next phase of personal computing is not native apps on embedded devices. It's on the cloud and web apps. Apple knows it, too. In fact, they thought we'd be ready for it before we actually were (the original iPhone was all about web apps). Google especially knows it.

Native apps will never go away, but their importance is rapidly diminishing. The New York Time's webapp is way, way better than its iPad app IMO.

Quote:

When GUIs supplanted text based interfaces, did anyone argue that being able to move icons around on the screen was plenty cool enough, thank you, and actually doing things wasn't really necessary? How much functionality are you willing to jettison, just because Android can't do it? And why?

Who is jettisoning anything? I'm not saying Android doesn't need apps. I'm saying I don't need all those apps. My use case is probably different than yours. I own all three gaming consoles and a powerful gaming computer, iPad gaming holds no interest to me. The vast majority of apps I've ever downloaded I use briefly then just leave on my phone with a pretty icon. I've had an iPhone for two years, and I've discovered I'm not an app guy.
  • Reply 34 of 139
    Quote:

Take a look at the top 100 free apps and tell me "silly" is not a good word.

It's not. Period. And even if it were, of if we are redefining "silliness" for the sake of argument, then I'd say that "non-silliness" is way overrated.

Quote:

It already is. We've got 10.2 beta running on a Xoom in the office. It's far faster than you seem to think, and I haven't seen a noticeable battery hit.

Flash 10.2 beta is not fully hardware accelerated for the Xoom. Many reviews still call it sub-par.

Quote:

For all I know it may only last 7 hours of heavy flash browsing instead of 10 for the vanilla web, but I'm not concerned.

Good for you.

Quote:

I'm glad. It's never bad to give people choice.

Never said the opposite.
  • Reply 35 of 139
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    so lemme see ...

the POS 7" Galaxy tab that Samsung shipped 2.1 million of late last year - and can't be upgraded to Honeycomb - is still for sale? with probably well over a million sitting unsold in warehouses?

and the not-as-advanced "Galaxy 10.1" tab that Samsung announced in February is - or is not - going on sale soon anyway?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/s...mb-dual-camer/

while this newer version Galaxy 10.1 tab is going on sale "this summer" on top of that? June or September?

so - who is not going to wait for the next one? which means no one will buy the two prior models that are now destined for the discount bin.

way to go, Samsung!
  • Reply 36 of 139
    Quote:

Web Apps are coming. Be prepared.

Shit, I've been hearing this since 2004.
  • Reply 37 of 139
    Quote:

It's not. Period. And even if it were, of if we are redefining "silliness" for the sake of argument, then I'd say that "non-silliness" is way overrated.

It's clearly a personal judgement.

Quote:

Flash 10.2 beta is not fully hardware accelerated for the Xoom. Many reviews still call it sub-par.

I'm willing to bet you're not qualified to speak to the implementation of Flash 10.2. It is HW accelerated. Whether it fully plays nicely with the plugin container for the Android 3.0 browser is another matter, and that's why it's still beta.

Quote:

Never said the opposite.

It was certainly implied by your contempt for the presence of Flash on Honeycomb. Why else would you be so up in arms about it?
  • Reply 38 of 139
    Quote:

Shit, I've been hearing this since 2004.

Technology did not exist in 2004. It does now. Listen to Apple -- HTML5 is ridiculously powerful. You can even do full out 3D.
  • Reply 39 of 139
    Quote:

Right now, the going rate for Android apps is about 50% higher than iPhone app development. It's not a bad bet.

Why is that? It's simple:

1) There is a far larger pool of existing iOS developers. Supply/demand.

2) The iOS app market is far more saturated, there's less opportunity and harder to break an app in ans get it popular with so much existing competition and entrenched applications

3) Many companies and apps already exist on the iPhone, but they were caught off guard by the explosion in Android popularity and want an Android app yesterday and will pay a premium for it.

Can be true. The maths, I have them not.
  • Reply 40 of 139
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Even if I were an Apple hater and thus intent on buying a clone, the speed these clone manufactures abandon ship on a product would make me have serious second thoughts about my hate for Apple!

It's insane. Here we have a major corporation that just unceremoniously dumped its existing plans and went back to the drawing board after merely seeing the competition (which has been out for all of a week). We don't even have iPad 2 sales figures yet. There's nothing good that can be taken away from this story. Unless you're an Android fanboi, that is, in which case now is the time to argue why you're going to be buying one of these new tablets! The multitasking has little pictures, which somehow makes it more like a "real" computer! There are non-modal notifications! There's widgets on the home screen! All excellent reasons to buy a tablet from a company that just dumped an entire product line before release because it wasn't good enough and is now showing plastic mock-ups instead.