Samsung announces new Galaxy Tab models with iPad prices

Comments

• Reply 61 of 139
    Android has a large installed base comparable to the iPhone? Samsung's own CEO recently stated that although they have manufactured 2 million Galaxy tablets they have only sold 1 Million, Google uses the 2 million number to calculate its market share. This is the old Microsoft spin that counts the number of manufactured units with its software installed as sold and uses this number to calculate its market share. The actual installed base is quite different. This accounts for the large difference in money made by Apple and the other companies and explains why Apple is the largest technical company in the industry, as Apple sells close to 100% of what it manufactures and the other hardware manufactures don't . Microsoft is correct as far as the income part goes, as they collect the royalties even if the device is never sold, they don't however even come close to the 90% market share they claim, Android is free but the data base they use to calculate their market share is flawed just like Microsofts when it comes to claiming market share. What ever happened to the truth in advertising laws?
  • Reply 62 of 139
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrfergus View Post

Android has a large installed base comparable to the iPhone? Samsung's own CEO recently stated that although they have manufactured 2 million Galaxy tablets they have only sold 1 Million, Google uses the 2 million number to calculate its market share. This is the old Microsoft spin that counts the number of manufactured units with its software installed as sold and uses this number to calculate its market share. The actual installed base is quite different. This accounts for the large difference in money made by Apple and the other companies and explains why Apple is the largest technical company in the industry, as Apple sells close to 100% of what it manufactures and the other hardware manufactures don't . Microsoft is correct as far as the income part goes, as they collect the royalties even if the device is never sold, they don't however even come close to the 90% market share they claim, Android is free but the data base they use to calculate their market share is flawed just like Microsofts when it comes to claiming market share. What ever happened to the truth in advertising laws?

Heh. It's fascinating how apparently product sell-rates are why Apple's market cap is highest. Here I was thinking it had to do more with share price and perceived investor value.

Or if you're referring to revenue, then that's not correct either. IBM and Microsoft each have more revenue and profits.
  • Reply 63 of 139
    jwdavjwdav Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wimpytx93 View Post

I actually applaud samsung's efforts it takes alot for a company to say "look what we got just isnt going to cut it" and then go back to the drawing board and start from square one. How the product actually turns out could be a different story, but judging from the specs it should be a fairly awesome tablet. We cant judge what we dont know so until then we will have to wait.

I'll give you that.

What's not cool is that they *had* to do that - what kind of a message does that send to early adopters?

R&D, competitive analysis and features should be the first thing they do, not the last.
  • Reply 64 of 139
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asheron

Or if you're referring to revenue, then that's not correct either. IBM and Microsoft each have more revenue and profits.

Apple passed MS in revenue in Q4 2010.
  • Reply 65 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Technology did not exist in 2004. It does now. ....

I know autocorrect is adept at turning posts into bad English, but this is ridiculous. Please try to make sentences that, you know, make sense.

"Technology" has actually been around about 3 million years on this planet alone.
  • Reply 66 of 139
    Quote:

The Honeycomb UI is the one reason I cancelled my iPad 2 order and will be waiting for the Tab 10.1. I'm far too much of a multitasker to comfortably use the iOS UI.

And there I was liking your pluck but you go and blow it. If HoneyComb is the one reason then you would never have ordered an iPad2. You would have been gushing for Xoom already and your super multitasking brain would have puked long ago at iOS.

More so the detail of your responses indicate a savvy person and a Long established tech belief system with a Google focus. I will not attempt to belittle your choices.

So... I appologise that there has been some Apple trolls over on your favorite android sites of late getting all Lordy and carry on about the iPad. Daniel the article author is close to spin, he also writes some deeply researched pieces.

Now kindly go away, hate breeds hate and all that. You aren't winning, no one changes through being beat up. The path is slippery and will lead you to Engadget bloodbaths.

Save yourself, the fanboi curse is taking over your soul!
  • Reply 67 of 139
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    I'm still waiting for Asheron to confirm if whether autocad for iOS is a "silly free app" or not.
  • Reply 68 of 139
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

This article is genuinely defensive and terribly written. The shots at the Android app market are particularly perplexing, because the market has been growing very rapidly and almost all of the top iPhone apps have or will shortly have Android variants.

From the numbers we've seen so far. Far fewer Android users are willing to pay for apps the way iOS users are willing to. What exactly are you considering the top iOS apps?

Quote:

It also doesn't mention that the battery is the same size as the iPad 2's and is rated at 10 hours for video like the iPad 2, and it has a superior screen to the iPad 2. If anything, the screen is the highlight. It's the world's first PLS screen in consumer electronics, which is the evolutionary success to the IPS screen in the iPads. PLS screens are 15% cheaper, 10% brighter, and have better viewing angles.

How do tout a better screen for a device that does not yet exist against one that does exist?

Quote:

MacRumors reported in February that Apple wanted to use the PLS panel in the iPad 2, but they ultimately didn't. Samsung holds 30 patents on the screen so it is the world's only manufacturer.

If Apple felt Samsung could not manufacture enough to meet demand. That is a very good reason to not go with this screen. It doesn't matter if this is a better technology if Apple cannot get them into peoples hands.

Quote:

Also, Flash is still "soon" for Honeycomb, but the beta is out now and it's GPU-accelerated.

Mobile Flash has been in some state of "coming soon" for two years now.
  • Reply 69 of 139
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

I can't say I'm losing any sleep wondering who will write Garage Band for Android... iPad users seemed to get along just fine without it until a couple weeks ago, too.

What a brilliant argument - heck, we all got along without personal computers before they were released too

Quote:

FWIW, I am an independent developer and I've got my eye towards Android right now. Anyone who has gone to a recent mobile dev conference will see that's where the attention is right now. And for good reason, just look at the marketshare and trends.

Marketshare for phones (because the carriers subsidize them and shovel them out the door) or marketshare for tablets? There hasn't been one Android tablet with actual sales numbers (vs. channel stuffing numbers) that has been more than a rounding error compared to iPad volumes. Heck, how about all Android tablets combined?

Have fun developing for marketshare when the developers actually making money will be developing for the platform(s) that do so...
  • Reply 70 of 139
    Quote:

If there's demand, the apps will come. If there's no demand, they won't. The market will work itself out. All of the arguments focusing on the app selection a couple months after a product launches are desperate and pretty silly.

I think dismissing capabilities you can have today for the promises of tomorrow are pretty silly.

"A bird in the hand...." and all that...
  • Reply 71 of 139
    Quote:

Web Apps are coming.

Wow, we are back to iPhone 1 - except because it's not Apple it's now a good thing. Love that double standard...

Quote:

You're right in that people who use Android phones are probably less interested in apps. And what's wrong with that?

Nothing, unless you are a developer trying to make a living.

Quote:

I'm not impressed by the novelty of multitouch because I've worked with it for years on a large scale.

Really? With what products? Even pre-iPhone versions of Microsoft surface didn't sport multi-touch...

Quote:

Apps just aren't my thing, except for a couple notable ones.

Ah, so your an independent developer, just not of mobile apps then? No wonder you aren't concerned about actually making money with Android tablets.
  • Reply 72 of 139
    This doesn't make much sense. Honeycomb was unveiled long before you had any opportunity to order an iPad 2. The iPad 2 is running iOS 4 which we are all very familiar with. If you were more interested in Honeycomb you would have had no reason to order an iPad 2.

Quote:

The Honeycomb UI is the one reason I cancelled my iPad 2 order and will be waiting for the Tab 10.1. I'm far too much of a multitasker to comfortably use the iOS UI.

• Reply 73 of 139
    Quote:

I'm not sure this is a good position to be arguing from, considering the shelflife of the iPad (1).

That lasted over a year and sold over 15 million units?

Quote:

And the rumoured iPad 3 in the fall...

Keyword Hint: Rumor

More brilliant analysis...
  • Reply 74 of 139
    Quote:

You're right in that people who use Android phones are probably less interested in apps. And what's wrong with that? People can use their device as they want. I've little to no interest in apps because I'm surrounded by powerful computers all the time which do most of those things better.

The apps used on desktop machines and apps used on mobile devices most often do not serve the same function or same purpose.

Quote:

I'm not impressed by the novelty of multitouch because I've worked with it for years on a large scale. Apps just aren't my thing, except for a couple notable ones.

What multitouch technology have you been dealing with for years? Why didn't anyone think to use it to create the touchscreen mobile devices before Apple did?
  • Reply 75 of 139
    What does this comment mean? The iPad 1 in nine months outsold every tablet PC of the last 10 years.

Emphasis on "the rumored iPad 3". Apple has given absolutely no indication of an iPad 3 in the fall.

Quote:

I'm not sure this is a good position to be arguing from, considering the shelflife of the iPad (1). And the rumoured iPad 3 in the fall...

• Reply 76 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Mobile Flash has been in some state of "coming soon" for two years now.

Yup, but Apple are the jerks for banning it.

Just amazing...
  • Reply 77 of 139
    Quote:

The Honeycomb UI is the one reason I cancelled my iPad 2 order and will be waiting for the Tab 10.1. I'm far too much of a multitasker to comfortably use the iOS UI. The lack of real tabbed browsing is massively annoying as well -- Honeycomb's Chrome-like browser is a huge plus for me, considering 99% of my use will be web browsing. The fact that it has a superior gmail client and notifications is also what pushes me over the edge, as when I'm not using it to browse the web, I'll be in gmail.

You sound like a professional or business user so why not go with the Dell or Blackbarry, since they're targeting multitaskers and power users who need browser appliances. The iPad is not a browser appliance so it's obviously not for you.

The RIM is touted as "world's first professional-grade tablet" while Dell calls theirs a "Business Tablet."

BTW, please let us know where you drive during the day so we can avoid that route at all costs; with so much time spent browsing the web while driving, I don't want to be around.
  • Reply 78 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So GarageBand is "kind of silly"? I don't think legions of musicians will fell that way. What else is kind of silly? Keynote? Pages? iMovie?

You're basically dismissing computing as we've known it just to support the reality of Android as it currently exists for tablets. I'm wondering how many people will share your desire for an expensive web client when they can have that and a great deal more for the same price.

Yes he is. As he mentioned much earlier, he spends over 90% of his time browsing the web. So he wants a top-of-the-line web browser in a table box. Apps? Those mean nothing to him. It's all about the browser All the apps he needs already exist so to him there's no point in having an ecosystem. If a web appliaance is so important for him, so be it. It's not worth the electrons arguing any further.
  • Reply 79 of 139
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I wonder why don't those people that want to use a tablet just for browsing and view flash video just buy a PC netbook? Especially the wifi only model.
  • Reply 80 of 139
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    It seems that all the other Apple competitors are really Apple fanboys. They just mindlessly copy whatever Apple is making.