Vibrations in New MBP with 320GB 7200 WD Scorpio

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Antechrist; I have tried to ignore your name calling and personal attacks but enough is enough. I may be a 'pompous a$$' but at least I'm not an ignorant, hyper-sensitive pansy.... you need to get over yourself and actually read and absorb the entirety of my posts...and btw, my posts are not directly aimed at you, I'm simply trying to give useful advise.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Enough is enough? I'm ignorant? You're the one who's got a million answers to the questions no one is asking.

None of your posts contain ANYTHING remotely relevant to my question, which, by the way, is the point of this thread. Which is why you should be aiming responses at me.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    since hearing about issues with WD drives several years ago, i have steered clear of them. i don't consider them a premium drive at all, to be honest.

take the drive back, get a seagate or hitachi, even a samsung, as a replacement if you can.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    sennen; AMEN Brother! That's what I've been trying to say.....If you take a risk on a 'premium' brand HD then you deserve the issues that come with it.

Bravo sennen.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I don't quite understand what you're saying here as Western Digital *are* a good brand for hard drives. They make fast, reliable drives that are well endorsed my many reviews and individuals.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I don't quite understand what you're saying here as Western Digital *are* a good brand for hard drives. They make fast, reliable drives that are well endorsed my many reviews and individuals.

Exactly. exiled is a moron.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    AnteChrist; if I'm a moron then what are you???? you are a whinny little cun+ and you're the dumb-ass who installed an inferior HD in your MBP.... I think you need to stick to pc's Mac's are not for everyone.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exiled View Post

AnteChrist; if I'm a moron then what are you???? you are a whinny little cun+ and you're the dumb-ass who installed an inferior HD in your MBP.... I think you need to stick to pc's Mac's are not for everyone.

Ironically, someone from a PC background is probably going to know more about hardware than someone from an Apple background.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exiled View Post

it doesn't help anyone to descend this to personal insults

however if you do have any referenced feedback (like storage review etc) regarding which are the best hard drives to stick in the MB and MBPs then please do share it - that way everyone will benefit. i don't think anyone would agree if you're saying that the only time / place to purchase a HD is at the applestore during the original transaction

I for one had to change the hard drive in my blackbook because of higher than average failure rates of a series of original Apple installed HDs - warnings were issued and my drive fit the series affected - go figure, failure can occur for any manufacturer

also can you explain why Apple would have deliberately made the hard drive access easier

on both the MB and the MBP

if they didn't want HD replacement to be done at home ?
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Every post he makes just digs him deeper and deeper. Hilarious!
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Guys chill the f*** out I am investigating this on my MacBook reinstalling leopard now some vibration felt.... Update you all soon sending this from my iPhone
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Leopard install appears significantly faster let's stay calm and discuss, benchmark etc.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    AnteChrist can you post your System Profiler here please?

Mine is below (I've hidden some of the Serial Number)

Intel ICH7-M AHCI:

VendortIntel

ProducttICH7-M AHCI

Speedt1.5 Gigabit

DescriptiontAHCI Version 1.10 Supported

WDC WD3200BJKT-00F4T0:

Capacityt298.09 GB

ModeltWDC WD3200BJKT-00F4T0

Revisiont11.01A11

Serial NumbertWD-WXE808XXXXXX

Native Command QueuingtYes

Queue Deptht32

Removable MediatNo

Detachable DrivetNo

BSD Nametdisk0

Mac OS 9 DriverstNo

Partition Map TypetGPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. statustVerified

Volumes:

Mac:

Capacityt297.77 GB

Availablet288.16 GB

WritabletYes

File SystemtJournaled HFS+

BSD Nametdisk0s2

Mount Pointt/
  • Reply 34 of 43
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    I also replaced the HDD with WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM. I feel more vibration from the HDD than the one comes with Apple and the fan is on almost all the time, but it is not unbearable and it is much faster.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    OK. I have the first-generation MacBook White Intel Core Duo 2.0ghz, Superdrive, and now 2GB of (1GB each) 667 DDR2 RAM.

I'm maxing this thing out as much as possible by putting in the WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM 320GB.

Running Adobe CS4 now, seems responsive driving a 1280x1024 external monitor and running several apps at once.

Vibration is significantly detectable.

However speed is noticeably faster.

Advice: If you are looking to upgrade, explore a different brand.

If you are buying new, just *custom order* through Apple.

7200rpm's in a MacBook Pro Unibody with 1066mhz RAM is going to be FAST.

In the meantime, back to whippin' my poor white MacBook to the MAX. LOLs.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

VendortNVidia

ProducttMCP79 AHCI

Speedt3 Gigabit

DescriptiontAHCI Version 1.20 Supported

WDC WD3200BJKT-00F4T0:

Capacityt298.09 GB

ModeltWDC WD3200BJKT-00F4T0

Revisiont11.01A11

Serial NumbertWD-WXXXXXXXXXXX

Native Command QueuingtYes

Queue Deptht32

Removable MediatNo

Detachable DrivetNo

BSD Nametdisk0

Mac OS 9 DriverstNo

Partition Map TypetGPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. statustVerified

Volumes:

Macintosh HD:

Capacityt297.77 GB

Availablet188.24 GB

WritabletYes

File SystemtJournaled HFS+

BSD Nametdisk0s2

Mount Pointt/
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnteChrist View Post

I recently put an upgraded hard drive in my new aluminum unibody MBP. I replaced the stock 5400rpm drive with a 7200 RPM 320 GB drive - a Western Digital Scorpio Black. I can feel a lot more vibration and I'm just wondering if this is normal. The drive upgrade and subsequent install went fine. It's mounted correctly and tight in the case. Has anyone else done this? Can you feel the vibration on your wrists more when typing? It's not annoying really, but a lot more noticeable. I took it in to the Apple Store recently and a genius commented that it was noticeable, but they don't have much experience with the new MB's and MBP's with 7200rpm drives yet, so he couldn't tell me if it was normal or not.

On another note - I get two ACL errors every time I run disk permissions. They say ACL not expected but found in "Applications" and "Library". They never go away not matter how many times I repair disk permissions. The genius said to ignore it, it's not a problem, and the web says the same thing pretty much. It's still annoying, and repairing permissions can take 5-10 minutes with this new drive. Is that normal? Anyone else getting these errors? Know of a way to nuke them?

sorry to get to this late...i own a macbook pro and a macbook both 2.4 penryn, both with 4GB RAM, the white has a WD3200BEKT (the one without the free fall sensor) other (pro) has stock 250GB. In a few words, the pro eats the dust compared to the white one, it is impressive how much faster it is and never felt over heat, vibration, noises or other stuff..it is a perfect drive and i love how fast it is. Battery life wasnt affected and runs very smoothly. Well this is my experience let me know if i can help somehow
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Well, I have the same problem. And the solution is very simple. If you tilt you macbooks front a bit lower than screen part, vibration will go off. I do this by sliding front side of the notebook off the table. So my opinion, WD has a problem with the angle of instalation.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Tom's hardware has a direct head to head comparison of the four next generation 2.5in 320Gb 7200rpm drives available:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rive,2006.html

1. Seagate Momentus 7200.3, 2. Western Digital Scorpio Black, 3. Hitachi Travelstar 7K320, 4. Samsung Spinpoint MP2

Seagate and WD are fastest, but not by much over the Hitachi.

The Editor's choice goes to the Seagate Momentus 7200.3, although only by very little over the WD Scorpio Black.

As for use in MacBook/MBPs - this is what I found:

It appears that vibration issue also occurs with the Seagate drive, although I get the impression that it's less of an issue than with the Western Digital (anybody can confirm?). Nobody seemed so annoyed at it to take it out, and also some people didn't even report it.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=8466667

From the info I take it that Apple uses the Hitachi drive (by the by Apple is not in the harddrive business - as some of the less informed posts suggest - they buy every single harddrive from "premium" manufactureres like Seagate and Hitachi - so there is no reason that if I buy it or I buy it with a 50% premium from Apple that the drive is different. Arguably in the new MBPs they might mount it differently, with more vibration protection, but there is no evidence that I have heard of).

My 2 cent Conclusion: If you want to upgrade to 320Gb 7200rpm drive. You can a) take the risk of getting the Seagate or b) play it safe sacrificing a a tiny bit of performance and go for the Hitachi. Seems like the WD (more vibration) or the Samsumg (slowest) are less optimal.

Please have if you have any more experience with any of these please post... For myself I am still holding out to replace my 7200rpm 160Gb Apple mounted drive (until I replace I will try to think of it as special as it was APPLE mounted LOL)
  • Reply 40 of 43
    I forgot there is another discussion on this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6270944

The Hitachi can also vibrate and people seem less happy regarding performance.

For me Seagate Momentus 700.3 seems to be the winner... Hitachi 2nd