Vibrations in New MBP with 320GB 7200 WD Scorpio

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently put an upgraded hard drive in my new aluminum unibody MBP. I replaced the stock 5400rpm drive with a 7200 RPM 320 GB drive - a Western Digital Scorpio Black. I can feel a lot more vibration and I'm just wondering if this is normal. The drive upgrade and subsequent install went fine. It's mounted correctly and tight in the case. Has anyone else done this? Can you feel the vibration on your wrists more when typing? It's not annoying really, but a lot more noticeable. I took it in to the Apple Store recently and a genius commented that it was noticeable, but they don't have much experience with the new MB's and MBP's with 7200rpm drives yet, so he couldn't tell me if it was normal or not.

On another note - I get two ACL errors every time I run disk permissions. They say ACL not expected but found in "Applications" and "Library". They never go away not matter how many times I repair disk permissions. The genius said to ignore it, it's not a problem, and the web says the same thing pretty much. It's still annoying, and repairing permissions can take 5-10 minutes with this new drive. Is that normal? Anyone else getting these errors? Know of a way to nuke them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    It sounds like there is a problem with the drive. If it has a warranty I would get a new one and see if that fixes the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    You should have paid the extra $50 and upgraded to the 320@7200rpm that apple provides. To anyone and everyone: THIS JUST IN- WD HD'S are not an upgrade and are no better than the HD's offered by Apple. Hope this is a lesson learned.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    I did the same thing in my MBP. I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped and had the drive from my old (well, 2.4) MBP. I notice very very little vibration, hardly noticeable.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exiled View Post

You should have paid the extra $50 and upgraded to the 320@7200rpm that apple provides. To anyone and everyone: THIS JUST IN- WD HD'S are not an upgrade and are no better than the HD's offered by Apple. Hope this is a lesson learned.

This has to be the douchiest reply I've read to a forum post in a long time.

Is that what I should have done?

Did anyone, ANYWHERE say that aftermarket WD hard drives are better than the drives Apple provides from the factory? Way to call someone out on something that they didn't say.

"Hope this is a lesson learned." Eeew. Did you really just say that? Did you get a smug sense of satisfaction when you posted that, like you thought you were the smartest guy in the thread? Get over yourself.

I bought a computer, and I decided a couple of weeks later to upgrade the drive. Apparently, THIS GUY thinks no one should ever upgrade their computer. EVER.

Thanks, tough guy.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Sounds like a problem with your drive. As for the hard disk improvements, run benchmarks in Mac and Windows to test.

Permissions now taking 10 minutes is normal. Don't fret about the permissions reporting; it tends to be very verbose about what is "wrong".

Good luck and ignore retard posters....
  • Reply 6 of 43
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I was only trying to point out that these HD problems could be avoided by simply spending a few extra $ by upgrading through Apple and avoid after market HD's.

But facts are facts; I am simply trying to advise to any and all, that these HD issues can be side-stepped by staying away from aftermarket components. Western Digital HD's are just flat out inferior to what Apple pre-installs in its MBP's or iMAC's......remember the old adage; leave well enough alone.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I was only trying to point out that these HD problems could be avoided by simply spending a few extra $ by upgrading through Apple and avoid after market HD's.

But facts are facts; I am simply trying to advise to any and all, that these HD issues can be side-stepped by staying away from aftermarket components. Western Digital HD's are just flat out inferior to what Apple pre-installs in its MBP's or iMAC's......remember the old adage; leave well enough alone.

You'd be hard-pressed to convince me that an aftermarket, name-brand premium hard drive is any worse than any pre-installed component by any computer manufacturer. I'm sorry, but where do you think Apple get's it's drives? Probably Samsung or Toshiba - hard drive companies.

It's ludicrous to suggest that anyone never attempt to upgrade these kinds of components on their own machine. I'll probably do it again in a year when a slim enough 500GB drive is available. People upgrade the RAM and HD's in their laptops all of the time without issue. That's a fact.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Does the vibration go away when running with the AC adapter unplugged? Or there all the time?
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brise View Post

Does the vibration go away when running with the AC adapter unplugged? Or there all the time?

It's not an extreme vibration. It's not something i was even initally concerned about. The adapter doesn't make a difference.

I think I just need to go feel someone elses and the ones in the store to compare. Now with the new portables, the drive is under the wristrest instead of the back of the system, so it's more noticeable.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnteChrist View Post

It's not an extreme vibration. It's not something i was even initally concerned about. The adapter doesn't make a difference.

I think I just need to go feel someone elses and the ones in the store to compare. Now with the new portables, the drive is under the wristrest instead of the back of the system, so it's more noticeable.

I don't discount that HD and DVD drive vibration happens. But it is pretty common to feel a very slight vibration if the palm rest is touched lightly and it seems to be related to AC ground issues if the two prong power adapter is used on some outlets. This normally fades to nothing when the machine is disconnected from AC. My Thinkpad does it too on the bottom surface rather than at the palm rest.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

Out of interest, what brand of 7200rpm drives do Apple use in their laptops?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Out of interest, what brand of 7200rpm drives do Apple use in their laptops?

Magic, apparently.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    My MBP came with a Hitachi 320@7200 HD. I learned the hard way by 'upgrading' to a WD HD(WD 200@7200 to replace a 160@5400 stock Apple) on my last MBP. I have no problem with those who choose to truly upgrade their HD's by opting for something that has more capacity than what Apple currently offers(i.e., 500@7200 vs. 320@7200), but to swap an Apple 320@7200 for a WD 320@7200 makes no sense to me.

I will upgrade my current HD when the 256GB SSD is available sometime in the next few months... but that's a whole different animal.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

My MBP came with a Hitachi 320@7200 HD. I learned the hard way by 'upgrading' to a WD HD(WD 200@7200 to replace a 160@5400 stock Apple) on my last MBP. I have no problem with those who choose to truly upgrade their HD's by opting for something that has more capacity than what Apple currently offers(i.e., 500@7200 vs. 320@7200), but to swap an Apple 320@7200 for a WD 320@7200 makes no sense to me.

But who said they swapped an Apple 320GB 7200 drive for a WD 320GB 7200 drive? Nobody would do that.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    I had a WD 160GB pata drive in the PB and sometime feel the vibration. Strange thing is that the Segate Momentus are the most silent and vibration resistant drives around. I am annoyed by vibrations so will remove a drive that gives me this.

I am awaiting the Momentus 7200.4 which ought to be released next month with sizes to 500GB on standard 9.5mm height. Been holding back on the TravelStar 320GB 7200rpm.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

I will upgrade my current HD when the 256GB SSD is available sometime in the next few months... but that's a whole different animal.

Well of course that'd be stupid . But a 5400rpm to 7200rpm is going to make quite a big (worthwhile) difference.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    I sell a lot of Apple products in the secondary market(mostly to schools) and I sell a $#!% load of MBP's, I can assure you there are more than a few bozo's that ask me to swap comparable HD's(i.e., 320@7200 for 320@7200) it happens all the time. The bottom line to this whole thread is to avoid trying to 'upgrade' your HD until you have checked your local Apple/Mac store and see what they can offer you.

The current 2.53/2.8 MBP's have the option for a 320@5400 or a 320@7200 and also a 128GB SSD.

If you happen to have a corporate connection you can get a 500@7200. Now, with that same CC hook up, you can get a 256GB SSD in January.

These would all qualify as viable upgrades. The 2.53/2.8 MBP's offer the faster 320@7200rpm HD for just $50 more....NO BRAINER! And if you(and I know some of you do) have an 'in' with Apple go with 500@7200 until the 256GB SSD arrives.

These are the only 'upgrade' options you should be looking into....anything else is a waste of your time and a potential risk to your computer.

Btw, I would highly recommend to any and all, to buy the 3yr APP(Apple Care Protection Plan), after all, if anything happens to your pre-installed HD, Apple will replace it at no cost and in some cases actually upgrade it.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brise View Post

I don't discount that HD and DVD drive vibration happens. But it is pretty common to feel a very slight vibration if the palm rest is touched lightly and it seems to be related to AC ground issues if the two prong power adapter is used on some outlets. This normally fades to nothing when the machine is disconnected from AC. My Thinkpad does it too on the bottom surface rather than at the palm rest.

Yes users of the "old" MBP reported this buzzing sensation as well - apparently it's linked to a ground issue and can sometimes be solved by using the 3 pin cord from the transformer to the wall (instead of a two pin)... although others have reported that this makes no difference

have a look here in AppleDefects wiki - the point is that if it is this electric issue then there will be the sensation of a vibration above the hard drive but it is purely electrical and nothing to do with the hard drive at all.

you could also see if you can detect it in another way - like can you hear the vibrations, or put a hard plastic insulator between your wrist and the palmrest and see if you still feel the vibrations

@exiled

are you saying that Hitachi drives are better than any others? this would be a pretty serious change from a number of years of HD history. Most reviewers place Hitachi drives very close to the bottom of the quality list and WD / Seagate right at the top. Are there any sites reviewing 2.5" drives that say otherwise?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    the other thing to try is reseating the HD as noted here in the Macbook section of AppleDefects... different model i know but it might help
  • Reply 20 of 43
    I'm sorry exiled, but every post you make here makes you sound like a pompous ass.

I bought a computer, and wanted a faster, bigger hard drive. PERIOD. I bought one and upgraded it. It's pretty common. Stop telling me what I should have done, and what options are available. I have access to the same apple.com you do; I know what's available in a CTO MacBook Pro.

My store didn't have drives to upgrade them in the store, and I needed a computer. I shouldn't have to explain myself over and over. This thread is about a slight vibration, and if anyone else has experienced it. It isn't a thread for you to come in and lecture people on prices and options. Jesus.