AT&T responds to 'false and misleading' Verizon ads

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think Apple said their products were faultless. As it is, all the customer satisfaction and reliability surveys (PC Magazine, Consumer Reports, etc.) I've seen put Apple at the top. There are going to be some duds, that's impossible to avoid, but the overall stats suggest they're doing pretty well.

They never have. Obviously that would be a lie. He's confusing a statement designed to be taken as fact with a marketing slogan.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They never have. Obviously that would be a lie. He's confusing a statement designed to be taken as fact with a marketing slogan.

No not confused at all but thanks for your smugness. Verizon didn't lie they just decided to show 3G coverage for a specific part of their service. Is it lying by omission? Possibly but most companies do that - it's advertising. Whether it is a slogan "it just works!" or an ad campaign as a whole (Verizon) it's about proving/lying/omitting information in order to garner sales. It's all the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think Apple said their products were faultless. As it is, all the customer satisfaction and reliability surveys (PC Magazine, Consumer Reports, etc.) I've seen put Apple at the top. There are going to be some duds, that's impossible to avoid, but the overall stats suggest they're doing pretty well.

I work in design (and that includes advertising) and the point is YES Apple has great customer service, one of the reasons I buy their products, but Apple IS lying by stating windows = doesn't work and apple = just works. In capable hands either platform works just fine but it is good marketing/advertising to make a blanketed statement on Apple's part as a classic scare tactic (make people scared of the big bad microsoft pc world) to get customers. Verizon is doing the same thing by manipulating data to prove AT&T is inferior in the 3G race.

Do I fault them for it? Nope because just like Microsoft has to counter Apple's campaign AT&T needs to stop whining and throw some intelligent punches back to get into the lead in consumers minds.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

No not confused at all but thanks for your smugness. Verizon didn't lie they just decided to show 3G coverage for a specific part of their service. Is it lying by omission? Possibly but most companies do that - it's advertising. Whether it is a slogan "it just works!" or an ad campaign as a whole (Verizon) it's about proving/lying/omitting information in order to garner sales. It's all the same.

[...] but Apple IS lying by stating windows = doesn't work and apple = just works.

You're missing the point of an advertising slogan. Your statement that Apple is lying and also implying that Windows doesn't work (yet oddly not comparing PC vendors in general where Apple actually competes) would then mean DeBeers is lying because diamonds are not forever, Wheaties is lying because not all champions eat their cereal and implying that those that don't eat their product can't be champions, Maxwell House is implying that other coffees become bad before or at the last drop, that M&Ms cannot melt in your hand but only in one's mouth, or that Nike could be held culpable for any spur of the moment crimes one commits while wearing their appeal due to their famous campaign slogan.

These were just off the top of my head. Just ingine how many more examples I can find if I looked up more slogans.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    I have a Verizon based Black Berry Storm and an AT&T iPhone GS3. Coverage for my BlackBerry is truly nationwide and in the small towns and country roads that AT&T ignores. In my experience, AT&T is like T-Mobile claiming nationwide coverage as long as you drive only on select interstates and or reside in towns the size of Indianapolis. Bloomington, Indiana on the East side within city limits lacks coverage for the iPhone. Gold Canyon on the east side of the Phoenix area also lacks coverage as well as the north side of Santa Fe, NM. Tis too bad when a company has to lie about it's coverage and crappy world wide connectivity which was surely lacking in SE Asia except for Hong Kong.
  • Reply 105 of 116
    Quote:

You're missing the point of an advertising slogan. Your statement that Apple is lying and also implying that Windows doesn't work (yet oddly not comparing PC vendors in general where Apple actually competes) would then mean DeBeers is lying because diamonds are not forever, Wheaties is lying because not all champions eat their cereal and implying that those that don't eat their product can't be champions, Maxwell House is implying that other coffees become bad before or at the last drop, that M&Ms cannot melt in your hand but only in one's mouth, or that Nike could be held culpable for any spur of the moment crimes one commits while wearing their appeal due to their famous campaign slogan.

These were just off the top of my head. Just ingine how many more examples I can find if I looked up more slogans.

Apparently you are arguing with yourself because I said that slogans = advertising = lies and omission and listed other companies who do it. What is your point?
  • Reply 106 of 116
    Quote:

Apparently you are arguing with yourself because I said that slogans = advertising = lies and omission and listed other companies who do it. What is your point?

A slogan can?t be a lie because it?s not a statement of fact.

I won?t evn get into your conflicting statements that advertisements equal lies but that Verizon is also not lying about its advertisements. There 3 part statement ?the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?? is stated as such for a reason. Advertising uses ?the truth? then rarely ever tells you "the whole truth" and uses clever ways to not tell you "nothing but the truth.?
  • Reply 107 of 116
    Quote:

A slogan can?t be a lie because it?s not a statement of fact.

I won?t evn get into your conflicting statements that advertisements equal lies but that Verizon is also not lying about its advertisements. There 3 part statement ?the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?? is stated as such for a reason. Advertising uses ?the truth? then rarely ever tells you "the whole truth" and uses clever ways to not tell you "nothing but the truth.?

So by your reasoning if I made a company and made the slogan "Won't give you herpes like Verizon does" that isn't lying?

I guess Apple should make a new slogan "Apple, because Windows gives you the Clap"
  • Reply 108 of 116
    Quote:

So by your reasoning if I made a company and made the slogan "Won't give you herpes like Verizon does" that isn't lying?

I guess Apple should make a new slogan "Apple, because Windows gives you the Clap"

Remove the slanderous parts and you can use them. Herbert Hoover’s presidential campaign slogan in 1928 was "A Chicken in Every Pot. A car in every garage” it wasn’t “Al Smith wants to rape your children”. Do you think Hoover put a chicken in ever pot and a car in every garage? M&M’s slogan is “Melts in your mouth not in your hand” not “Reese's Pieces will give you AIDS.” If you don’t see a difference then I don’t think a suggestion for taking some rudimentary business courses will begin to help.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Quote:

Remove the slanderous parts and you can use them. M&M’s slogan is “Melts in your mouth not in your hand” not “Reese's Pieces will give you AIDS.” If you don’t see a difference then I don’t think a suggestion for taking some rudimentary business courses will begin to help you.

You really don't get sarcasm do you? You are reaching Teckstud levels of taking the internet, and yourself, way too seriously. (Sorry Teckstud).

And I'll have you know I just put some M&M's in my hand... a few minutes later the coating started to melt and stain my palm. Serve, point, match. Huzzah!
  • Reply 110 of 116
    Quote:

And I'll have you know I just put some M&M's in my hand... a few minutes later the coating started to melt and stain my palm. Serve, point, match. Huzzah!

First of all, I already made mention (here) that Mar?s M&M slogan is not a statement of fact but an advertising slogan.

Secondly, thank you for proving my point once again. How many times do you need to be told that advertising slogans are not statements are not held as statements of fact?

Finally, you are either a liar or simply an idiot to not know without actual testing if the heat from your hand can melt candy.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    Quote:

First of all, I already made mention (here) that Mar?s M&M slogan is not a statement of fact but an advertising slogan.

Secondly, thank you for proving my point once again. How many times do you need to be told that advertising slogans are not statements are not held as statements of fact?

Finally, you are either a liar or simply an idiot to not know without actual testing if the heat from your hand can melt candy.

Thank you for proving my point about being way too full of yourself and serious. Welcome to the ignore list.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Remove the slanderous parts and you can use them. Herbert Hoover’s presidential campaign slogan in 1928 was "A Chicken in Every Pot. A car in every garage” it wasn’t “Al Smith wants to rape your children”. Do you think Hoover put a chicken in ever pot and a car in every garage? M&M’s slogan is “Melts in your mouth not in your hand” not “Reese's Pieces will give you AIDS.” If you don’t see a difference then I don’t think a suggestion for taking some rudimentary business courses will begin to help.

Did you believe last year when Apple told you your iPhone 3g 2nd gen was "Half the Price, Twice as Fast"?

Obviously you did.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Thank you for proving my point about being way too full of yourself and serious. Welcome to the ignore list.

You do realize that's Stewie Griffin you've been dealing with- don't you?
  • Reply 114 of 116
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I work in design (and that includes advertising) and the point is YES Apple has great customer service, one of the reasons I buy their products, but Apple IS lying by stating windows = doesn't work and apple = just works. In capable hands either platform works just fine but it is good marketing/advertising to make a blanketed statement on Apple's part as a classic scare tactic (make people scared of the big bad microsoft pc world) to get customers. Verizon is doing the same thing by manipulating data to prove AT&T is inferior in the 3G race.

What? Apple never says Windows doesn't work, just that Windows is messier. It's supposed to be an expression of the idea that Apple's way is usually a lot easier, more consistent and more reliable then the Windows way.
  • Reply 115 of 116
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I wonder why I'm seeing Verizon Droid Ads, on this site?

Here in Australia, everywhere I go I've got 7.2 Mbps HSDPA, Speedtest consistently shows speeds around the 3.4Mbps mark.

I am offended by the Elf ad I saw on YouTube, Verizon is saying Santa only exists in America, think of the World's children, the ones who live where iPhones work fine and CDMA phones not at all, Australia is not the land of misfit toys!

Bastidges!!!

/end sarcastic rant.
  • Reply 116 of 116
    Better to put it as ``iHave DROIT, but iCan't".