Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm pretty sure he is just mocking the trolls befor their shifts start.

Well one troll will not be reporting in today--not due to any illness either. The B word.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Apple licenses the male end of the 30-pin connector, but I font know if they license it as a cable or if it's just as a dock. I'll check Monoprice...

Presumably every iPad will come with a USB cable for connection to a computer. So all anyone will need in addition it seems is an adaptor for male USB to the mini female sizes of USB used on cameras. Probably these can already be purchased. In fact I think I already have a set for a GPS power adaptor I bought from Radio Shack.
  • Reply 23 of 126
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure he is just mocking the trolls before their shifts start.

Yes, yes, I missed that one. My bad.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Once the first 100 million, Kool-aid drinking fanboys get theirs, the demand will dry up.

Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 25 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Presumably every iPad will come with a USB cable for connection to a computer. So all anyone will need in addition it seems is an adaptor for male USB to the mini female sizes of USB used on cameras. Probably these can already be purchased. In fact I think I already have a set for a GPS power adaptor I bought from Radio Shack.

Ah, yes. I was posting an edit to my previous post with a cheaper solution attached.

Now, if your camera can't copy the files from the inserted SD card, or you have several SD cards of data to be copied and can't bother with putting them into the camera to sync (which tells me the iPad may not be the best option anyway) then this won't work for you. For those users I'd think a more robust option may be needed so they may already have a multi-card reader ($6.99) for their prosumer demands.
  • Reply 26 of 126
    First, in the article:

Nine days is indeed "roughly" two weeks. VERY "roughly." So "roughly," in fact, that it seems a bit provocative to pad a difference that most 7-year-olds can calculate with an additional 50%+. LIke, say, maybe, a 9-day backlog isn't long enough to get readers riled up?

I realize most of you were being facetious (Mac Voyer gets my vote for brilliance) and mocking the tone of the article (as well you should IMO), but in case you have friends who worry about such things, here are some questions to ponder.

The backlog cited for current orders says NOTHING about:
    • How many iPads will be available in-store on 4/3, or whether each store will have supply for sale over and above reservations.

• How many iPads have already been sold, and whether this is a delay at all (Rumors already existed regarding the number of iPads available at launch, and how many has Apple said they've sold? What? They haven't said anything?).

• Whether this is an ESTIMATED or FIRM ship date (most every ship date I've seen on the store for any other product is cited as an estimate).

• Whether the sky is falling.

Here's hoping this helps everyone to take a breath and find our happy place.
  • Reply 27 of 126
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

I'm not sure Apple can keep up their limited boutique-like product line, especially for Macs, for too much longer as diseconomy of scale grows. I keep expecting a 15" plastic unibody MacBook using last generation processors from Intel to shore up their offerings while increasing growth and revenue, but I seem to be alone in that thought.

Probably because most people who want the product line expanded want to see the xMac
  • Reply 28 of 126
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Once the first 100 million, Kool-aid drinking fanboys get theirs, the demand will dry up.

Apple is doomed!

iPad will be killed by the HP Slate running Windows long before that
  • Reply 29 of 126
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

iPad will be killed by the HP Slate running Windows long before that

Haven't you heard, the Slate has already been killed by the Joojoo.
  • Reply 30 of 126
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Lol nice first ^ post. I spoke to the Apple store I'll be going to, and they said they've got quite a few reservations, but that it should go quick. I imagine they'll get through most of the resevations (who show up early) starting at 9, before the store technically opens at 10. After 3 pm, I'm sure they'll have some that weren't reserved and a handful not picked up that people can walk in and buy.

But with a shipping delay already occuring during preorder, it's tough to say whether store inventory from April 5th on will be prevelant, or unavailable for days.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrswine View Post

[*]How many iPads will be available in-store on 4/3, or whether each store will have supply for sale over and above reservations.[*]How many iPads have already been sold, and whether this is a delay at all (Rumors already existed regarding the number of iPads available at launch, and how many has Apple said they've sold? What? They haven't said anything?).[*]Whether this is an ESTIMATED or FIRM ship date (most every ship date I've seen on the store for any other product is cited as an estimate).[*]Whether the sky is falling.[/LIST]

1) 4 per strore, for display/in-store customer use (other than ones where the customer ordered a store pick-up).

2) My guess: 300,000 - 400,000.

3) They haven't/No clue.

4) Yes.

Btw, are you Mr. Swine, or Mrs. Wine?
  • Reply 32 of 126
    Apple knows what they are doing- let the people wait and they will double up the sales.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I disagree. It would be SD or USB slots that would ruin the elegant design of the device. The versatile 30 pin port makes it simpler. If u really need to connect a camera to get raw photos on the device immediately, you have to use something to connect them, and a cable is no more convenient than a cable+adapter, for the one - two minutes you need it connected.

For 1 - 2 minutes of use, I'd rather have the adapter, than holes all over the iPad.

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

Maybe it's not that big of a deal either way, I don't know. I wonder how well or if solipsism's multi-IO card reader idea would work. Now, if there was a dock-to-USB-mini-B cable and iPad can read from any slot on a standard multi-card reader, that would be pretty nifty.
  • Reply 34 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrswine View Post

First, in the article:

Nine days is indeed "roughly" two weeks. VERY "roughly." So "roughly," in fact, that it seems a bit provocative to pad a difference that most 7-year-olds can calculate with an additional 50%+. LIke, say, maybe, a 9-day backlog isn't long enough to get readers riled up?.

Actually....

The first "batch" of iPads will be *received* by 4/3 - the second batch is stated to *ship* by 4/12. Estimate 3-5 days for ground shipping and you get the "roughly" two weeks. So the OP is technically correct.
  • Reply 35 of 126
    Quote:

Btw, are you Mr. Swine, or Mrs. Wine?

No comment. I like to keep an air of mystery.
  • Reply 36 of 126
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Haven't you heard, the Slate has already been killed by the Joojoo.

We'll all just have to wait and see won't we. The evolution of the "tablet" market will be fast and furious. The shakeout will be very interesting to see. All I know is I'm glad to see Apple in the forefront and leading the charge. As many pundits have said, tablets have been around for quite some time but have never caught on with the mass market. We've already heard from the tech wannabes that this or that brand has had a tablet out for years before the iPad. We heard the same about the iPhone. Somehow, someway, Apple has the magic ability to jump start barely existing markets. Nobody cared much about smart phones or tablets before Steve got in front of the circus tent with a straw hat and cane and held up them up for all to see. That's always been his genius, to fill us with childlike wonder. I, for one, LIKE to bask in the RDF because it's often an accurate prediction of what the future will be like.
  • Reply 37 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Apple knows what they are doing- let the people wait and they will double up the sales.

I'm under the impression that using an alias whilst BANNED results in a permanent ban.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

I don't think the argument is against what you mention, but how useful an SD card slot would be for iPad users. I have never taken the 4GB Sd card out of my camera to sync it with my Mac. The only reason I even have a 16GB SD card for my Mac is for the SL Restore Disc so I can forego the DVD altogether, other than that it has never been used.
  • Reply 38 of 126
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    No rush. It's best to wait for a product review with any new product especially one as controversial as the iPad.
  • Reply 39 of 126
    Quote:

Apple is obviously shorting production so they can make the iPad look more desirable than it really is. Dooooomed!

If they don't sell 1 million in the first week then they are doomed.

I would say the short delay has to do with them having to recently change vendors because the first couldn't meet the demand on iPad screens.
  • Reply 40 of 126
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

One less troll BANNED hint TS

http://forums.appleinsider.com/membe...&ltr=T&page=12

Maybe we can now all get back to commenting about the subject at hand instead of reacting to trolling. I know I'm as guilty as any here.