Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

I assume there will be two lines outside the stores at 9 am. One for those who "reserved for pick-up" and the other for those who didn't. Should be interesting.

Then there will be a line at Best Buy AI @

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...1th_promo.html
  • Reply 62 of 126
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

Maybe it's not that big of a deal either way, I don't know. I wonder how well or if solipsism's multi-IO card reader idea would work. Now, if there was a dock-to-USB-mini-B cable and iPad can read from any slot on a standard multi-card reader, that would be pretty nifty.

An SD card slot would only satisfy one type of camera cards. Don't forget there are other types out there (Compact Flash, Mini Disk, SM, xD, microSD, miniSD, MMC, RS-MMS, MS, MS Duo, Sony Stick). So having the option to either use the SD reader or connect a camera via the USB is a better solution to satisfy ALL.

I alone use 3 different types of media cards. So for me an adapter via the dock connector is a much better option.
  • Reply 63 of 126
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

An SD card slot would only satisfy one type of camera cards. Don't forget there are other types out there (Compact Flash, Mini Disk, SM, xD, microSD, miniSD, MMC, RS-MMS, MS, MS Duo, Sony Stick). So having the option to either use the SD reader or connect a camera via the USB is a better solution to satisfy ALL.

I alone use 3 different types of media cards. So for me an adapter via the dock connector is a much better option.

Yeh, kind of get the gist of what you're saying as I look over at my HP 7300 with four slots and a connector port--never used though.
  • Reply 64 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

OMG, that camera connection kit is the dumbest thing I've seen Apple do yet. Seriously, I need another adapter in my desk drawer like I need a hole in my head. Come on Steve, didn't you think an SD card slot would be appropriate? I'll let you in on a secret Steve: I'd pay $29 more for an iPad that *didn't* make me but another damn adapter. It absolutely *ruins* the elegance of the product.

You've obviously never used one before so how would you know?

I have the iPod version for the Classic iPods and it is such a great piece of kit. Simply plug it into the Dock Connector, plug your camera into the USB port, and download the images to your iPod which get synched when you hook into iTunes.

It is an elegant solution contrary to what you believe and guess what you don't have to have it plugged in all the time. Imagine that. You want inelegance how about adding thickness to the iPad in order to allow for built in USB or SD card or both?

The adapter works and it works very well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Presumably every iPad will come with a USB cable for connection to a computer. So all anyone will need in addition it seems is an adaptor for male USB to the mini female sizes of USB used on cameras. Probably these can already be purchased. In fact I think I already have a set for a GPS power adaptor I bought from Radio Shack.

Yeah except for one thing, not all cameras use the same USB connection nor do all cameras use the same cards so having a convertor would mean getting a convertor for every type of camera lead out there which will be very expensive. Having an SD card slot eliminates the cameras using Compact Flash and XD and Memory Stick. Nope, the iPad Camera Connection Kit is definitely the best option of the lot.
  • Reply 65 of 126
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Some users' total lack of imagination is their biggest missing feature.

Apple has never included every port or slot imaginable in their gear, since few users will actually ever need or ever use all those slots. Third-party add-ons and adaptors have always been available to connect to FireWire and USB ports for such things. Since the included 30-pin Dock Connector IS capable of connecting to USB, the point for a USB slot is moot. besides, 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth are also built-in.

The percentage of people wanting to transfer digital images to their iPads will probably be very small, so an extra adaptor suits such users well, while keeping the overall design simpler (and cheaper to produce) for the vast majority of users.

Beg to differ. Third-party hardware add-ons are very rare in the iPhone segment of the market. After all, they do generally need some sort of software or drivers, which in the closed App Store is traditionally iffy to get approved. SD is one of the most ubiquitous and useful of expansion slots. That's why Apple finally acquiesed and swapped it in place of the much less useful Express Card slot on the smaller MBPs. But it's not just the photography pros and prosumers who would benefit from such a slot. You don't necessarily need to transfer images. It could also be useful for just viewing the images. People on vacation would probably love to do that with an iPad, rather than either having to lug a laptop along or just looking at the pictures on the tiny camera screen. I doubt it would add much to the cost, considering even bargain basement digital cameras, mp3 players and prepaid cell phones have SD and MicroSD slots.
  • Reply 66 of 126
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

iPad will be killed by the HP Slate running Windows long before that

And this was BEFORE the HP Slate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Once the first 100 million, Kool-aid drinking fanboys get theirs, the demand will dry up.

Apple is doomed!

You do realize your on an Apple fansite?
  • Reply 67 of 126
    This is gonna be really stupid of a question, but I ordered my iPad early Friday morning (yesterday), and it does say it will ship April 3rd. But I feel like I always get gipped with these things, do you think Apple will keep their word or will i get the April 12th date?
  • Reply 68 of 126
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrentR324 View Post

This is gonna be really stupid of a question, but I ordered my iPad early Friday morning (yesterday), and it does say it will ship April 3rd. But I feel like I always get gipped with these things, do you think Apple will keep their word or will i get the April 12th date?

If Apple says it, you can believe it. They shouldn't change the date shown on your receipt. I wouldn't be worried.
  • Reply 69 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

If Apple says it, you can believe it.

Haha ok. you're right i shouldn't doubt them
  • Reply 70 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Yes, he does.
  • Reply 71 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrentR324 View Post

Check your order status.

This news was just released, so hopefully you made your order before the cut-off!

That's why I ordered mine at 8:38am on March 12th.
  • Reply 72 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Check your order status.

This news was just released, so hopefully you made your order before the cut-off!

That's why I ordered mine at 8:38am on March 12th.

Ya it says delivers on april 3rd on the order form but ill have to check on the order status in a bit
  • Reply 73 of 126
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's one extra slot.

It's not one extra slot, it's many. Do you think whiners will be done with that one extra SD card slot? They will keep on with USB slots and more. No matter how many Apple adds, they will keep whining. I think the 30-pin connector fits in there perfectly and there's a netbook for all those plug-in lovers. Steve specifically named a few things that he reckoned iPad would do better than a netbook, but "more holes" was not one of them.
  • Reply 74 of 126
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Reservation-only, instead of FCFS-only.

I wish I was still at the mall so I could take a photo of the big sign in the door of the Apple store that says "first come, first serve. April 3rd starting at 9am"

also the online store says 'ships by April 12'. which means it could ship and deliver on the 3rd. or anytime after up to the 12th. what's the big deal with that. they have sold out/reserved out of the known quantity and are padding so they can underpromise and overdeliver rather than the other way. lots of major releases of various things go this way. just like cutting off reserves so they can count and ship the stock.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

I assume there will be two lines outside the stores at 9 am. One for those who "reserved for pick-up" and the other for those who didn't. Should be interesting.

not necessarily. Depending on their checks and double checks they could bundle up the units on Monday, send them out on Tuesday and have them at the stores on Weds/Thurs where they are recounted etc for security (no thieving fed ex guys and such). Friday morning they get a count sheet of how many to set aside for reserves. they stack those up on one table and the rest on the other. Friday night they get a list of names,unit size and number.

Saturday AM they have a single line and as each person enters they are asked if they reserved and the sales person goes to the appropriate table to retrieve the stock.

with that way, those that reserved get theirs and the guy that turned up at 2am on Friday because he decided at the last minute to get one doesn't yell and cause a scene because after waiting 7 hours he's told he has to wait 6 more for the reservations to be handled. AND you don't have the mall or local cops yelling about 2 lines etc.
  • Reply 75 of 126
    Apple has already charged my credit card for my 3G iPad, so they must be pretty confident about their "late April" ship date. Surprisingly, there's an April 15 ship date showing for the keyboard dock, which was officially delayed. The case is due to ship by April 3.
  • Reply 76 of 126
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

And this was BEFORE the HP Slate.

Step One: Think, humor.

Step Two: Excursive laugh muscle.

Step Three: There is no step three.

No worries; all is well.
  • Reply 77 of 126
    I think the photo capabilities of the iPad are highly overrated. How many people are REALLY going to use it in that fashion.

What I see is more and more people headed towards direct-to-net uploads of their pictures using a WiFi-capable SD card, like the Eye-Fi, that lets you upload the photos you take straight to your favorite web service or computer without evening taking the SD card out of your camera.

My opinion is that the less we can get people to rely on cables the better off we'll all be. I want EVERYTHING to be wireless, including power (it's coming!).
  • Reply 78 of 126
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fshepinc View Post

Apple has already charged my credit card for my 3G iPad, so they must be pretty confident about their "late April" ship date. Surprisingly, there's an April 15 ship date showing for the keyboard dock, which was officially delayed. The case is due to ship by April 3.

Doesn't Apple (and every retailer) charge when the order enters the shipping process and therefore cannot be canceled?
  • Reply 79 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

OMG, that camera connection kit is the dumbest thing I've seen Apple do yet. Seriously, I need another adapter in my desk drawer like I need a hole in my head. Come on Steve, didn't you think an SD card slot would be appropriate? I'll let you in on a secret Steve: I'd pay $29 more for an iPad that *didn't* make me but another damn adapter. It absolutely *ruins* the elegance of the product.

As an active photographer with an iPad on pre-order, its a big so-what. Whether I'm traveling or doing a day shoot, the camera adapter will never be used except when I'm back in the house/hotel and ready to transfer. If I wanted to bitch about something taking space, I'd have a very long list of junk I have to pedal around before a postage stamp size adapter shows up. Please, if you have to find something to carp about, find something more significant -- maybe the power adapter.

Casual photographers are not much different. The iPad will remain home and be used when the occasion requires it.

As far as the "elegance of the product" goes. Perhaps you'd like to comment on the aesthetics of the protective cases so many of us will be using. I'm sure many of us would like some help in this area as well.

And for all of those nay-sayers; could you please stop flapping your jaws long enough to realize we're not all stupid and understand what we are buying and why. If there is anyone of you that would like I/O, a sd card slot and an open OS, please let me know. I am more than willing to make a deal on a lovely Windows based Fujitsu tablet. It has all the distinctions of a true "value" product: crap screen, useless pen based touch screen (will include a magnifying glass so you can see whatever you need to click on), a lovely virus scanning program that let's you look in awe as the machine is useless for ages (assuming you stand by and click all the dialog boxes that pop up), allows you to feel really geeky as it crashes, multiple touch-screen apps as MS doesn't deliver enough, and complete with specs that will bury an iPad as it labors through any computing task. Oh, and its truly ugly and squeaks whenever you touch it.
  • Reply 80 of 126
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Uh oh. Looks like we may have to segue very rapidly from "Fan boys will buy anything their Lord and Master orders them to" to "Apple's mind control and slick marketing could sell snow to Eskimos."

Yes, this time they will jump to stage 2 before product release

They remind me of the Iraqi Information Minister during US invasion.

Quote:

I look forward to a surprisingly early onset of "this abrupt flood of other products that follow Apple's template have better specs and make the iPad look stupid and dated, and anyway they were going to make those all along so Apple didn't change anything fanboys shut up."

Oh, and, Apple is Doomed.?

Apple is Doomed?