Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Look, there is more to life than just SD, and the people using such slots are more than likely going to be in the minority anyway. I have no problem with Apple having only the dock connector on the iPad - it won't slow it down one bit for me, nor the millions of others that will buy it. So all this angst over a slot that is, in the grand scheme of things, wholly inconsequential, is rather boring.

Yeah but Doc, if all you have is criticism around the memory card/slot/connectivity format - you just gotta get your sadi-equi-necrophia thang on!

• Reply 122 of 126
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Again, answer me this: Why is it when Apple restricts choice on something like Flash, you're fine with it, but when you think they don't restrict choice with media cards, you don't complain? Since Apple isn't the one that needs to develop the Flash plug-in, why can't they be "forward-looking" and allow backward compatibility for Flash websites?

You've been given the answer - multiple times.

Flash stinks. It causes endless problems and is not needed for many users - and is becoming even less needed as sites switch to html 5. The potential benefit is limited.

Similarly, the benefit of adding slots is limited (you can always connect your camera with a cable - and not have to worry about what type of memory it has and whether you have the right memory slot in the iPad). So adding memory slots adds little or no value - yet it adds weight, complexity, and one more point of failure.

In the end, my position is consistent. The device should include only those things that are useful and add value and not be cluttered up with options with little benefit.
  • Reply 123 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You've been given the answer - multiple times.

Flash stinks. It causes endless problems and is not needed for many users - and is becoming even less needed as sites switch to html 5. The potential benefit is limited.

Similarly, the benefit of adding slots is limited (you can always connect your camera with a cable - and not have to worry about what type of memory it has and whether you have the right memory slot in the iPad). So adding memory slots adds little or no value - yet it adds weight, complexity, and one more point of failure.

In the end, my position is consistent. The device should include only those things that are useful and add value and not be cluttered up with options with little benefit.

I Absolutely Agree, on all counts!

Why do people fail to understand that Apple's entire philosophy revolves around simplicity?

Besides, the Dock Connector is incredibly flexible and depending on your needs, you can find various things that allow you to connect to an iPad (or iPhone or iPod touch or iPod) using this one port. No one has the same needs, so trying to provide a do-all Swiss Army Knife design philosophy only creates bloat.

Do you really want to carry one of THESE things around? Sure it has everything, but I'd HATE to sit on it!

http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999
  • Reply 124 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I Absolutely Agree, on all counts!

Why do people fail to understand that Apple's entire philosophy revolves around simplicity?

Besides, the Dock Connector is incredibly flexible and depending on your needs, you can find various things that allow you to connect to an iPad (or iPhone or iPod touch or iPod) using this one port. No one has the same needs, so trying to provide a do-all Swiss Army Knife design philosophy only creates bloat.

Do you really want to carry one of THESE things around? Sure it has everything, but I'd HATE to sit on it!

http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999

image: http://www.wengerna.com/stuff/conten...iant_knife.png

I used to use that image to show doing everything poorly doesn't make for a great tool.
  • Reply 125 of 126
    Hmm It wasn't funny for me. And are you sure that Apple will not ship iPad till 12th April. Because I was thining to have it in my hane at 5th or 6th as it shipment might take time. I think this is really irresponsible behaviour of Apple. And it should not be the case at all.
  • Reply 126 of 126
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aliahlewis View Post

Hmm It wasn't funny for me. And are you sure that Apple will not ship iPad till 12th April. Because I was thining to have it in my hane at 5th or 6th as it shipment might take time. I think this is really irresponsible behaviour of Apple. And it should not be the case at all.

Look on your ORDER page and check the date. If you pre-ordered in time, in will be delivered on the 3rd. If you waited till this week to place your order, then it will be the 12th. There is no delay, just a shortage of supply to meet demand.