Retail Leopard on Beige and B&W (G4 upgraded) Success!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After my previous couple of posts on Lowendmac.com about nearly getting Leopard to load on a Beige G3 / Blue & White G3 I can confirm that I have had success with it booting fully to the graphical user interface, after quite a few tries of different techniques.

There are some functions which currently need attention, like Firewire and power management, but this is related to the way I've got it working:

1. G3 B&W upgraded to run a 600Mhz G4 CPU

2. Used the B&W to installed 10.4 and upgrade to 10.4.11.

3. Used a Digital Audio G4 to install Leopard as an upgrade over existing Tiger installation

4. Tried to boot this on B&W G4. Got previous error or crash with IOGraphicsFamily

5. Noted that AppleCuda and AppleLynx (firewire) kexts didn't load corrctly during boot either/

6. Extracted all kernel extensions from 10.5 WWDC 2006 edition, using Digital Audio - as this booted on G3 and G4 systems, and has all the missing kernel extensions not included in the Lopeard final release.

7. Deleted 'newer versions' of the kexts 'IOGraphicsFamily.kext', 'AppleCuda.kext', 'IOFirewireFamily.kext' and installed the relevant ones from WWDC 2006.

8. Boot was then successful.

Below is a screenshot of the about this Mac and an Apple System Profiler report as proof.

http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...dW_Leopard.png

http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...pard/BandW.rtf

Currently, AppleCuda.kext doesn't load and this results in a shutdown powering down everything, but not turning off the fans. IOFirewiewFamily.kext doesn't load so firewire port don't yet work.

I've also flashed a Nvidia Geforce PCI 5200 card which support CoreImage as hardware accelerated, not too slowly,

Next I'll try on my Beige G3 to see what happens!

Hope someone else finds this information useful.

Hi - Just an update: have now also managed to get it to boot on a G4

upgraded Beige G3 with Radeon 9200. 1. Booted into Mac OS 9, which was

installed on same partition as 10.5

2. Used Xpostfacto to install startup item and bootx, to enable booting on oldworld macs.

3. Disabled onboard video using setenv pci-probe-list fffbffff in Open Firmware (Apple-Alt-O-F at startup)

4. Restarted, and bootup occurred as per the B&W G3 ()G4 Upgraded) to full GUI.

Now going to experiment with updates!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    jeph57jeph57 Posts: 4member
    That is great. So, is there a way that someone might be able to get those .kext files from the WWDC disk?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

After my previous couple of posts on Lowendmac.com about nearly getting Leopard to load on a Beige G3 / Blue & White G3 I can confirm that I have had success with it booting fully to the graphical user interface, after quite a few tries of different techniques.

There are some functions which currently need attention, like Firewire and power management, but this is related to the way I've got it working:

1. G3 B&W upgraded to run a 600Mhz G4 CPU

2. Used the B&W to installed 10.4 and upgrade to 10.4.11.

3. Used a Digital Audio G4 to install Leopard as an upgrade over existing Tiger installation

4. Tried to boot this on B&W G4. Got previous error or crash with IOGraphicsFamily

5. Noted that AppleCuda and AppleLynx (firewire) kexts didn't load corrctly during boot either/

6. Extracted all kernel extensions from 10.5 WWDC 2006 edition, using Digital Audio - as this booted on G3 and G4 systems, and has all the missing kernel extensions not included in the Lopeard final release.

7. Deleted 'newer versions' of the kexts 'IOGraphicsFamily.kext', 'AppleCuda.kext', 'IOFirewireFamily.kext' and installed the relevant ones from WWDC 2006.

8. Boot was then successful.

Below is a screenshot of the about this Mac and an Apple System Profiler report as proof.

http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...dW_Leopard.png

http://www.jkalittle.co.uk/jkalittle...pard/BandW.rtf

Currently, AppleCuda.kext doesn't load and this results in a shutdown powering down everything, but not turning off the fans. IOFirewiewFamily.kext doesn't load so firewire port don't yet work.

I've also flashed a Nvidia Geforce PCI 5200 card which support CoreImage as hardware accelerated, not too slowly,

Next I'll try on my Beige G3 to see what happens!

Hope someone else finds this information useful.

Hi - Just an update: have now also managed to get it to boot on a G4

upgraded Beige G3 with Radeon 9200. 1. Booted into Mac OS 9, which was

installed on same partition as 10.5

2. Used Xpostfacto to install startup item and bootx, to enable booting on oldworld macs.

3. Disabled onboard video using setenv pci-probe-list fffbffff in Open Firmware (Apple-Alt-O-F at startup)

4. Restarted, and bootup occurred as per the B&W G3 ()G4 Upgraded) to full GUI.

Now going to experiment with updates!

• Reply 2 of 79
    If you've got a copy of the WWDC 2006 disc, I'd use Pacafist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to extract them from the installer.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    No, that is the problem. Is there a way to get the disk? I am not sure what the protocol for that would be. I am signed up as a developer on the apple site? But, I could not manage to download an entire dvd disk from where I live. A CD I could do in a couple of nights.

Quote:

If you've got a copy of the WWDC 2006 disc, I'd use Pacafist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to extract them from the installer.

• Reply 4 of 79
    Hi,

As the GossamarPE and IOGraphicsFamily .kexts are based on Apple Open Source information, I'll send you the WWDC 2006 ones via e-mail.

James.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Thanks, that is super. Can you get my address from the forum?

Quote:

Hi,

As the GossamarPE and IOGraphicsFamily .kexts are based on Apple Open Source information, I'll send you the WWDC 2006 ones via e-mail.

James.

• Reply 6 of 79
    Hi,

Another update regarding Leopard on Beige G3 (G4 upgraded) - it's now running 10.5.4 with sound and power management functions working properly.

There seemed to be a problem that whenever I updated the Beige from 10.5.0 to a newer version it would always restart with a kernel panic, stating "unable to find driver for platform "APPL,PowerMacG3". The only way I could get 10.5.0 working on it was to install 10.5.0 over a working Tiger 10.4.11 installation. Using a 'fresh install' of 10.5.0, adding back relevant kernel extensions always result in the same error as above.

However, thinking that the solution must lie in the kernel extensions I managed to get a fresh copy of 10.5.0 working by figuring out the differences between an installation of 10.5.0 over 10.4.11 and a fresh 10.5.0 install.

The kexts (apart from the ones Xpostfacto installs) that were missing from 10.5.0 were:

* AppleCuda.kext (handles ADB mouse and power management function and sound)

* AppleGossamer.kext (Platfrom expert for Beige G3, B&W and Yikes! G4 - i.e. the platform driver)

* AppleHeathrow.kext (driver for the Heathrow chip which handles IDE/ATA)

* AppleGracklePCI.kext (driver for the Grakle chip which handles memoery management and IDE/ATA and PCI slots)

* HeathrowATA.kext (driver for the ATA controller section of Heathrow chip)

By experimenting with the working installation of 10.5.0 over 10.4.11 I determined that out of the available kexts versions I have (Tiger versions, WWDC 2006 versions and 10.5 beta-build a527 versions) that the following combination worked. Where possible I used the latest a527 versions as these were the most recent, with the exception of AppleGracklePCI.kext, which was only available in the WWDC 2006. IOGraphicsFamily.kext from a527 exhibited the same crash as the one included in 10.5.0, so the one from WWDC 2006 was used.

To get 10.5.0 working:

1. Installed 10.5.0 from DVD using a Digital Audio G4 to a 7.7GB partition.

2. Copied (from a527): AppleCuda.kext, AppleGossamer.kext, AppleHeathrow.kext, HeathrowATA.kext into System/Library/Extensions/

3. Copied (from WWDC 2006): AppleGracklePCI.kext, IOGraphicsFamily.kext (deleted existing 10.5.0 one)

4. *Important* used BatChmod (http://macchampion.com/arbysoft/Welcome.html) programme to set permissions on all kexts to owner: system, group: wheel, read and execute only. Doing a permissions repair on the kexts with DiskUtility does not set the permissions properly.

5. *Important* deleted files in System/Library/Caches/ and file: System/Library/extensions.mkext and System/Library/Extensions/Caches/

6. Booted into OS 9 and used Xpostfacto to install all missing kenerel extensions for the Beige and to enable booting into Mac OS X on an oldworld system.

7. Restarted and boot went well.

Trying to update this to 10.5.4 resulted in the same error, so instead I used the Digital Audio to install a fresh 10.5.0 onto a partition and then ran the 10.5.4 combo updater, repeated the steps above and had success!

In 10.5.4 even the internal RagePro works, without causing a kenerl panic on startup - they key to this is to make sure that the RagePro.kext isn't in the extensions folder. Installing 10.5.0 over 10.4.11 meant that this was there.

The B&W and the Yikes! G4 should all work the same, except you will need the additional kexts installed, which are missing, or do not work from 10.5.0:

* AppleFireWireFamily.kext (10.5.0 version doesn't load properly)

* CMD646ATA.kext (missing from 10.5.0 - ATA driver)

Sorry it's a bit long-winded, but hope it's of interest to all those G4 upgraded beige G3s.

Regards,

James.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    Hi,

Could you send me a message to my account here with your e-mail address, unless I'm correct in thinking that your address is [email protected]?

Thanks,

james.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeph57 View Post

Thanks, that is super. Can you get my address from the forum?

• Reply 8 of 79
    I have sent a 'private' message a couple of times. Not sure if you are getting those? I just sent the second one.

Quote:

Hi,

Could you send me a message to my account here with your e-mail address, unless I'm correct in thinking that your address is [email protected]?

Thanks,

james.

• Reply 9 of 79
    Hi,

Yep, I've not got your e-mail address... will be sending you the .kexts over tonight.

James.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    azureazure Posts: 10member
    James,

Awesome, just awesome progress mate. You beat me to the punch, I've been trying to get Leopard to run on my Beige G4 for a few weeks now.

The only pieces of the puzzle I don't have are the AppleGracklePCI.kext and IOGraphicsFamily.kext from the WWDC release.

I see you also traced down that a527 had the latest version of the other kexts. AppleGracklePCI.kext seems to be the same version right back to 10.4.11 (v1.2). What version of IOGraphicsFamily.kext do you have from WWDC 06?

Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Hi,

Thanks very much.

IOPGraphicsFamily.kexts from WWDC 2006 is version 1.5. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you over this and AppleGracklePCI.kext - won't be able to reply for a few days as I'm just going away - but will do so when back!

James.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Quote:

Hi,

Thanks very much.

IOPGraphicsFamily.kexts from WWDC 2006 is version 1.5. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you over this and AppleGracklePCI.kext - won't be able to reply for a few days as I'm just going away - but will do so when back!

James.

Thankyou, that would be great. I'm interested to do a file compare between the various IOGraphicsFamily.kexts, as the version number stayed 1.5 right through 10.5 GM, but they're obviously not identical. Sent a PM.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Hi,

I've sent you the kexts... let me know how you get on getting Leopard to boot on your system, and if you find any changes between the kexts.

Regards,

James.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by azure View Post

Thankyou, that would be great. I'm interested to do a file compare between the various IOGraphicsFamily.kexts, as the version number stayed 1.5 right through 10.5 GM, but they're obviously not identical. Sent a PM.

• Reply 14 of 79
    The key seems to be the particular version of IOGraphicsFamily.kext from the wwdc build. I'm trying to get a version newer than wwdc, but I can tell you the one from 9a466 and later does not work. When you use a newer IOGraphicsFamily, it acts like it loads successfully, but when it goes to transition from the Gray Apple (or verbose log), the screen doesn't update, you can hear the Mac OS X intro music and even use speech to navigate the setup but you can't see anything.

I'm using a newer version of AppleGracklePCI from 9a466 and everything seems to run just fine. I've successfully loaded drivers for my Asante PCI 690 10/100 ethernet adapter (tiger driver, again, works fine).

SonnetCache 1.4 seems to load successfully (XBench doesn't show any real benchmark improvement but it shows the L2 and the system "feels" snappier). XLR8 cache software fails to load.

The Beige G3 built in ethernet doesn't have the required driver in Leopard, but I copied AppleBMacEthernet.kext from inside IONetworkingFamily.kext out of Tiger, and added it into the IONetworkingFamily.kext within Leopard, and it worked 100% first shot. Oddly, the printer and modem ports work by default. Go figure!

I used a slightly different method of install to get it going, I was successful without having to delete the cache files, and if you log in as the root user to copy the kexts over, you can skip the step of having to use BatchMod (when you're not logged in as root, owner:root shows up as owner:system so they get the correct permissions by default).

I'm using a Mac Radeon 32MB, which doesn't seem to support CoreImage (I'll have to do more research, I'm not sure what the requirements are), so the interface is a little sluggish, but I turned off some of the eye candy by using TinkerTool, and that made things a little snappier.

The only oddity is the built in Rage Pro works, but it acts like there's a screen attached to it even when there isn't. Right now it's telling me I have a "Multiple Scan Display" and a dual monitor setup, I don't. I'm sure I could get a little more snappy performance out of it if I can convince the system to kill it entirely (setenv pci-probe-list doesn't stick through more than a couple of restarts).

My main goal was to be able to use the Beige as a Time Machine server, I'm about to do a test run, wish me luck!

One thing I was doing was I would "test boot" the 10.5.4 on my G5 system and complete the setup steps so I could put it in the beige and boot straight to the desktop. Don't do this. If you boot the 10.5.4 system on another mac (at least in my case) before you boot it up on the beige it'll break. It took me a while to figure out my error. You can install leopard on the HD with another machine, but the first time you boot from that HD HAS to be on the beige.

PS: This was posted on the Beige 10.5.4 machine.

Quote:

Hi,

I've sent you the kexts... let me know how you get on getting Leopard to boot on your system, and if you find any changes between the kexts.

Regards,

James.

• Reply 15 of 79
    Excellent news - glad you've been able to successfully get Leopard working too... with the built-in Ethernet (which I'd not tried) and the cache enabler.

In terms of the error you got when booted first on a G5, was this the 'unable to find driver for this platform' error right at boot?

James.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    What would happen with the G5, was it would boot just fine the first few times, then I'd move it over to the beige and it'd hang at something like "cannot access Azure's Shared Folder -14135". It wouldn't panic it just stopped booting at that point. It would then do the same thing in the G5 if I moved the HD back. -14135 seems to be a permissions error, I tracked down a file called Azure's Shared Folder.plist and deleted it, which cured the error, but it still wouldn't boot after that (don't recall what the second error was).

Kinda odd really. Like I said, lesson learned was to only boot a virgin Leopard on the beige. (I've used the same Tiger drive to boot both my G5 and Beige without issue).

I'm curious about this flashed FX5200 you have, I'd like to see Core Image in action, did you flash it yourself or buy it that way? Seems that according to Apple the ATI cards all require AGP to support it, but the nVidia cards don't.

Btw - do you have the same weirdness with the onboard Rage Pro acting like there's a monitor connected when there isn't?

I guess my next acquisition now is to get an ACard 6280M to speed up the HDs, since all my drives in the beige are newer ATA/133 compatible 7200rpm units, I can't seem to get my hands on an old Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 4 port card (Tempo HD is only 2 port), so looks like the ACard is the only option.

How's your Beige going? Tried anything else new?

Thanks much!

Quote:

Excellent news - glad you've been able to successfully get Leopard working too... with the built-in Ethernet (which I'd not tried) and the cache enabler.

In terms of the error you got when booted first on a G5, was this the 'unable to find driver for this platform' error right at boot?

James.

• Reply 17 of 79
    jwilliekjwilliek Posts: 20member
    Hey jimjamyahauk and azure,

I want to join in on some testing with you guys. I am going to be taking a stab at this on my Sonnet 1GHz G4 upgraded B&W (I also have a flashed nVidia FX 5200). I am hoping to start on things this coming weekend. I have been trying to get a retail Leopard install working on my B&W for months, (and I had also sent a letter to lowendmac about my success with WWDC 06 working), but I could never get past the "no drivers for this platform, Powermac1,1" error, so I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to see your progress! I'll keep checking back here for any further progress, and will post back with any results I have with your new method.

Many thanks and congrats on the accomplishment!

Jeff
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Hi,

Very strange error - and congrats for solving it - how perplexing!

For the PCI fx5200 I bought a PC version and then flashed it with a Mac Rom, using a PC with a spare PCI slot. I'll try and see if I can do some live screen caps to post. Essentially core animation works, but is slightly juddery for complex effects. Stuff like the quickview mode in the Finder run very speedily.

Yep - the onboard rage acts like there's a monitor, even when none is attached. I think this might be to do with the A/V personality card, which has video out that is supported natively in Mac OS X, so this might be activating some kind of driver link to the ragepro, evne though it's disabled in open firmware.

Funny you mention the acard ATA card - I just got one from ebay to do the same, and break the 8GB internal partition issue, as well as speed things up.

Currently the Beige isn't doing too much - think I might turn it into a music server or something.

Next mini-projects I'm working on is to get the power-management working correctly in 10.5 on a Pismo Powerbook (G4 upgraded), getting the battery recognised in the left hand bay - and when I pick one up get 10.5 working on a G4 upgraded PM 8500.

Hope that your Beige continues to serve you well - and if you find out any more tweaks please share.

James.

Quote:

What would happen with the G5, was it would boot just fine the first few times, then I'd move it over to the beige and it'd hang at something like "cannot access Azure's Shared Folder -14135". It wouldn't panic it just stopped booting at that point. It would then do the same thing in the G5 if I moved the HD back. -14135 seems to be a permissions error, I tracked down a file called Azure's Shared Folder.plist and deleted it, which cured the error, but it still wouldn't boot after that (don't recall what the second error was).

Kinda odd really. Like I said, lesson learned was to only boot a virgin Leopard on the beige. (I've used the same Tiger drive to boot both my G5 and Beige without issue).

I'm curious about this flashed FX5200 you have, I'd like to see Core Image in action, did you flash it yourself or buy it that way? Seems that according to Apple the ATI cards all require AGP to support it, but the nVidia cards don't.

Btw - do you have the same weirdness with the onboard Rage Pro acting like there's a monitor connected when there isn't?

I guess my next acquisition now is to get an ACard 6280M to speed up the HDs, since all my drives in the beige are newer ATA/133 compatible 7200rpm units, I can't seem to get my hands on an old Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 4 port card (Tempo HD is only 2 port), so looks like the ACard is the only option.

Thanks much!

• Reply 19 of 79
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much. Good luck with your B&W adventure - you'll also need an additional kext called CMD646ATA.kext to support the B&W's internal ATA bus - if you're running the HD from that.

Regards,

James.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

Hey jimjamyahauk and azure,

I want to join in on some testing with you guys. I am going to be taking a stab at this on my Sonnet 1GHz G4 upgraded B&W (I also have a flashed nVidia FX 5200). I am hoping to start on things this coming weekend. I have been trying to get a retail Leopard install working on my B&W for months, (and I had also sent a letter to lowendmac about my success with WWDC 06 working), but I could never get past the "no drivers for this platform, Powermac1,1" error, so I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to see your progress! I'll keep checking back here for any further progress, and will post back with any results I have with your new method.

Many thanks and congrats on the accomplishment!

Jeff

• Reply 20 of 79
    Hi Azure,

Just wanted to confirm the method you used to get 10.5.4 on the Beige. Did you install 10.5.0, then update, then add the kexts - or did you install 10.5.0, install the kexts and then update whilst booted on the Beige.

I'd be interested in seeing if you have the same error as me when trying to update from 10.5.0 which is installed on a Beige.

Thanks,

James.

Quote:

Thanks much!