Retail Leopard on Beige and B&W (G4 upgraded) Success!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    jwilliekjwilliek Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimjamyahauk View Post

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much. Good luck with your B&W adventure - you'll also need an additional kext called CMD646ATA.kext to support the B&W's internal ATA bus - if you're running the HD from that.

Regards,

James.

Thanks for the tip. I am running my HD from the internal ATA bus, so I'll make a note of that.

I didn't have any luck this weekend. For one thing, I don't have a supported machine to install from. My B&W is all I've got, so I'm going to try and find a friend or co-worker locally that might have an old mac lying around. But instead, I tried to apply your same method to getting the 10.5.0 install dvd to work. I made a dmg of it, and then replaced the various kext's you mentioned, modified the OSInstall.mpkg distribution file to remove the G3 check, slimmed down the installer to fit on a 4.7GB dvd, burned it, and tried to boot that. No luck though - I still got the 'no drivers for this platform error.' I had a feeling it wouldn't work, and I never really had time to sit down and take my time on it, but figured I would give it a shot anyway.

So, it's back to looking for a friend with a a supported machine.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    azureazure Posts: 10member
    James,

Which brand/model of fx5200 was it? I'd really like to get coreimage running on here to offload some of the traffic from the poor 533MHz G4 CPU

I can confirm it's not the A/V card, my beige has the Audio only (Whisper) PERCH card installed.

I think I'll order my ACard tonight! The only problem now is I don't have enough PCI slots! I need to install ATA/133, Graphics, USB 2.0 & 100Mbit networking. Eek! I think I'll probably end up getting a USB 10/100 adapter, like the one MacAlly sells.

You could always do the same thing I'm doing, use the Beige as a network Time Machine backup server. I'm not having much luck so far, the onboard ATA seems a little flaky under Leopard. Perhaps the HeathrowATA beta driver is a little half baked, have you seen any issues? I was thinking about downgrading the Heathrow drivers to the Tiger versions.

I spent the weekend trying to find a way to make pci-probe-list fffbfff stick permanently, it scarely seems to stick for a restart or two before it defaults again. I've come up with two solutions, either the boot-args / boot-command in OF, or I suppose I could do it with a shell script which "reinserts" the OF command every time you boot (thereby maintaining it).

I didn't manage to have much luck with the boot-args / boot-command route. The Beige OF which is 2.4 in my case (RevC ROM, RevD board) isn't nearly as well documented as the New World versions and has it's own quirks. (eg it doesn't know what reset-nvram is, it's called init-nvram instead, that and BOOT and BYE never seem to work, you have to use reset-all to save and restart).

I was also digging around trying to find a way to use OF to alter the memory timings so it would be possible to run an 83MHz bus without it downclocking the memory. No dice there either so far. Oh well!

Quote:

Hi,

Very strange error - and congrats for solving it - how perplexing!

For the PCI fx5200 I bought a PC version and then flashed it with a Mac Rom, using a PC with a spare PCI slot. I'll try and see if I can do some live screen caps to post. Essentially core animation works, but is slightly juddery for complex effects. Stuff like the quickview mode in the Finder run very speedily.

Yep - the onboard rage acts like there's a monitor, even when none is attached. I think this might be to do with the A/V personality card, which has video out that is supported natively in Mac OS X, so this might be activating some kind of driver link to the ragepro, evne though it's disabled in open firmware.

Funny you mention the acard ATA card - I just got one from ebay to do the same, and break the 8GB internal partition issue, as well as speed things up.

Currently the Beige isn't doing too much - think I might turn it into a music server or something.

Next mini-projects I'm working on is to get the power-management working correctly in 10.5 on a Pismo Powerbook (G4 upgraded), getting the battery recognised in the left hand bay - and when I pick one up get 10.5 working on a G4 upgraded PM 8500.

Hope that your Beige continues to serve you well - and if you find out any more tweaks please share.

James.

• Reply 23 of 79
    I booted my G5 under its own copy of Leopard. Then I used the "go to folder..." to open OSInstall.mpkg on the Leopard install disc and install a minimal copy of Leopard to the 8GB partition. I downloaded the standalone 10.5.4 combo updater and applied that to the 8GB partition. I logged out on the G5 and logged back in as root, then I copied the kexts. Lastly, I moved the HD over to the Beige, booted up with another drive on the Beige (probably my Tiger 10.4.11 install), did the XPostFacto 4 thing, and booted it for the first time under it's own power on the beige. Tada! I've not run software update on the Beige, frankly I don't trust it not to overwrite something I need.

If 10.5.4 is screwing up your install, IOGraphicsFamily.kext is updated from 1.5 to 1.5.2 (which I think you'd pinpointed before). I suspected IONDRVSupport might have been the culprit in your case, but checking my Leopard it's running happily with the 10.5.4 version (1.5.2).

I emailed you my profiler report, hopefully it's some use.

BTW- On the topic of the built in video, I just noticed XPostFacto installs (and the G3 loads) OpenG3AIODisplay.kext. I bet that's our problem with the phantom display! Even though the builtin video device claims "no kext loaded" I bet that has something to do with it!

Quote:

Hi Azure,

Just wanted to confirm the method you used to get 10.5.4 on the Beige. Did you install 10.5.0, then update, then add the kexts - or did you install 10.5.0, install the kexts and then update whilst booted on the Beige.

I'd be interested in seeing if you have the same error as me when trying to update from 10.5.0 which is installed on a Beige.

Thanks,

James.

• Reply 24 of 79
    Incidentally, you don't need to burn a DVD if you have a hard drive handy or can partition one. You can just use Disk Utility or CCC to image it to the HD/partition, and it'll boot, run and install happy as a clam, none the wiser that it isn't running on a DVD. Make sure the partition/HDs name is "Mac OS X Install DVD". Will no doubt make your quest to modify a bootable installer much simpler.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

My B&W is all I've got, so I'm going to try and find a friend or co-worker locally that might have an old mac lying around. But instead, I tried to apply your same method to getting the 10.5.0 install dvd to work. I made a dmg of it, and then replaced the various kext's you mentioned, modified the OSInstall.mpkg distribution file to remove the G3 check, slimmed down the installer to fit on a 4.7GB dvd, burned it, and tried to boot that. No luck though - I still got the 'no drivers for this platform error.' I had a feeling it wouldn't work, and I never really had time to sit down and take my time on it, but figured I would give it a shot anyway.

So, it's back to looking for a friend with a a supported machine.

• Reply 25 of 79
    Hi,

I'm now thinking of trying to get leopard running on a power mac 8500.

However, I'm having trouble finding an xlr8 carrierzif (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8_CarrierZIF/) which would enable me to add a g4 zif I have to the machine.

If anyone has one going spare, or for purchase please let me know.

James.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Hi James, that does sound like a hard part to come by. I found a website a little while back that has a lot of old power mac upgrades: http://resale.headgap.com/

I ordered a Sweet Multiport for my B&W from them, which I couldn't find anywhere else. And even though I didn't see the part you're looking for on the site, they did tell me after I got the part I ordered, that If they don't have a product, they have a source for referral to get what you need. So it might be worth sending an email to them to see if they have contacts that can find one for you.

Quote:

Hi,

I'm now thinking of trying to get leopard running on a power mac 8500.

However, I'm having trouble finding an xlr8 carrierzif (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8_CarrierZIF/) which would enable me to add a g4 zif I have to the machine.

If anyone has one going spare, or for purchase please let me know.

James.

• Reply 27 of 79
    Hi,

Thanks very much for the information - I'll contact them to see if they could source it.

Thanks.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Hey James,

I found someone with a leopard supported PPC, so I think I am going to give this another go this weekend for my B&W.

Just a couple of questions for clarification - To start off, I'll be installing 10.5.1 from my Retail DVD as an upgrade over top of 10.4.11. Do you think it would make a difference if I do the Archive & Install option instead of the Upgrade option?

Then I will apply the 10.5.4 combo update, and after that, I will switch out the relevant .kexts. Would it be possible for you to batch up the various kexts you used for your B&W and send them to me as a zip file? They would be handy to have as a point of reference to see if I extracted out the right ones - before I get too far along in the process. Also, which versions of CMD646ATA, and IOFirewireFamily/AppleFireWireFamily did you end up using?

Lastly, I'll take the HDD and put it back to my B&W and cross my fingers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by azure View Post

If 10.5.4 is screwing up your install, IOGraphicsFamily.kext is updated from 1.5 to 1.5.2 (which I think you'd pinpointed before). I suspected IONDRVSupport might have been the culprit in your case, but checking my Leopard it's running happily with the 10.5.4 version (1.5.2).

Hey Azure,

So based on your earlier post, do you think that a 10.5.4 version of IOGraphicsFamily will work if I copy over an older working version of IONDRVSupport?
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Hi,

No probs - will send them to you - can you PM me your e-mail address.

Not sure about the IONDRVSupport versions - just figuring that out trying to install 10.5 on a PM 8500. However, I suspect azure is right.

James.

Quote:

Hey James,

I found someone with a leopard supported PPC, so I think I am going to give this another go this weekend for my B&W.

Just a couple of questions for clarification - To start off, I'll be installing 10.5.1 from my Retail DVD as an upgrade over top of 10.4.11. Do you think it would make a difference if I do the Archive & Install option instead of the Upgrade option?

Then I will apply the 10.5.4 combo update, and after that, I will switch out the relevant .kexts. Would it be possible for you to batch up the various kexts you used for your B&W and send them to me as a zip file? They would be handy to have as a point of reference to see if I extracted out the right ones - before I get too far along in the process. Also, which versions of CMD646ATA, and IOFirewireFamily/AppleFireWireFamily did you end up using?

Lastly, I'll take the HDD and put it back to my B&W and cross my fingers.

Hey Azure,

So based on your earlier post, do you think that a 10.5.4 version of IOGraphicsFamily will work if I copy over an older working version of IONDRVSupport?

• Reply 30 of 79
    Hi James,

Finally got it working! (seems as if Leo suits the old Beige pretty well too from first impressions of its performance!) I eventually installed using the Hackintosh as I did get a semi-working install with Pacifist but it was very slow to start up and it didn't seem to work properly. I installed with osinstall.mpkg to a GUID-partitioned disk, then imaged that with Carbon Copy Cloner to the Apple Partition Map one that I use in the Beige, and it worked! Many thanks for your advice and sending me the kexts to check I had exactly the right ones, and most of all for working out how to do this! (I'd been waiting ever since Leopard's release for a solution but there seemed to be little interest in these old Macs now that everyone seems to be upgrading to Intel ones, and the creator of XPostFacto no longer seems to be around)

Couple of things:

--Have you found out yet what caused the problem with the Combo Updates, do I need to just make sure that my old IOGraphicsFamily.kext goes back in after the update or does 10.5.4 give you more problems than that?

--You said you got Core Image on a flashed Nvidia 5200, how is this possible? I though Quartz Extreme and Core Image need an AGP card?

Also, it seemed to shut down as normal, my AppleCuda.kext seemed to load ok?

Thanks again! :-)

Tim
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Hi Tim,

Excellent news - glad you got it working your Beige!

You'll probably find that performance increases once Spotlight has finished indexing everything on the HD.

I've not yet figured out what the problem with the Combo updates is - whether it's an issue that could be corrected by re-installing the kexts and setting permissions or if it's something else... I guess we can find out what happens when they release 10.5.5.

With the core image graphics card all is needed is a core-image capable gpu chip on the card. Unfortunately ATI don't produced any for the pci-bus, but nvidia do... the 5200 and 6200 cards which can be flashed with Mac ROMs. The system automatically turn coreimage on or off depending on what it senses on the graphics card. Unfortunately no new nvidia cards will work on 'oldworld rom' macs like the Beige, due to incompatibility with their open firmware.

Would you mind if I posted your sucess story back on the main forum thread for this, to let other people know that someone else has sucessfully got Leo to install?

Thanks - and hope Leo is useful on the Beige.

James.

Quote:

Hi James,

Finally got it working! (seems as if Leo suits the old Beige pretty well too from first impressions of its performance!) I eventually installed using the Hackintosh as I did get a semi-working install with Pacifist but it was very slow to start up and it didn't seem to work properly. I installed with osinstall.mpkg to a GUID-partitioned disk, then imaged that with Carbon Copy Cloner to the Apple Partition Map one that I use in the Beige, and it worked! Many thanks for your advice and sending me the kexts to check I had exactly the right ones, and most of all for working out how to do this! (I'd been waiting ever since Leopard's release for a solution but there seemed to be little interest in these old Macs now that everyone seems to be upgrading to Intel ones, and the creator of XPostFacto no longer seems to be around)

Couple of things:

--Have you found out yet what caused the problem with the Combo Updates, do I need to just make sure that my old IOGraphicsFamily.kext goes back in after the update or does 10.5.4 give you more problems than that?

--You said you got Core Image on a flashed Nvidia 5200, how is this possible? I though Quartz Extreme and Core Image need an AGP card?

Also, it seemed to shut down as normal, my AppleCuda.kext seemed to load ok?

Thanks again! :-)

Tim

• Reply 32 of 79
    I finally got 10.5.4 up and running on my B&W!

Here are a few observations, thus far:

The Install.

?My parents have an iMac G5, so I bought an IDE to USB cable to connect my HD to their iMac. At first, I tried to install 10.5.1 to my HD using Pacifist, but when it was still running 24 hours later, I canceled it.

?Instead I booted from the Leopard DVD and installed from there. Oddly enough, Archive & Install was my only option, so I chose that. The install took about a half an hour, and it actually told me that it had failed, but I figured that was just because it couldn't automatically reboot upon completion.

?I restarted and logged back into the iMac and ran the 10.5.4 combo update, then logged in as root to copy over the kexts.

?I took my HD back home and put it back in my B&W. On the first attempt, I got the 'no drivers for this platform' error again. I figured that the permissions must not be right, even though I copied the kexts over as root, so I logged back into Tiger, used Batchmod, and removed those Cache files you had mentioned.

?I ran the Sonnet Cache Enabler (needed for my Zif upgrade to work correctly), rebooted into Leopard, and it's running great!

Issues.

?My Built-in USB ports are not working. I noticed this right away, because I use these two ports for my keyboard and mouse, and both were unresponsive until I plugged them into slots on my PCI USB 2.0 Card. I'd really like to get to the bottom of why these weren't working, because I need the USB 2.0 slots for other things.

?No Firewire was found. As expected. I'd love to know if you've got your firewire working, and if so, how? I will also try to experiment with an older FW kext to see what I can come up with.

?Built-in Ethernet is not working. I'm not surprised about this, because when I installed WWDC 06 a while back, this was an issue. I ended up getting Gigabit PCI Ethernet adapter, which Leopard currently thinks is the Built-in Ethernet.

?Time Machine. It looks GREAT! I just wish I could use it. It acts like it's about to start a backup, then tells me that 'the backup volume could not be found.' I googled a number of different solutions for this last night, but nothing seems to work so far.

Highlights.

?Front row works. I have an Apple remote & a Keyspan USB IR receiver which is tons of fun to play with.

?DVD Player works. I've read where a lot of people reported DVD player not working with their unsupported Leopard install, so I was very glad to see this was working without a hitch.

Next Steps.

?Try to resolve the issues with USB, FW, & Ethernet.

?Try to get Time Machine working as it should.

?I want to test to see if I can run Automatic Updates without anything breaking. I had an automatic update waiting to run with a Quicktime, iTunes, Front Row, and a Security Update ready to install, so I'll be especially interested to see how the Security Update goes.

?Post a screenshot & a Profile report

?Run a couple of benchmarks, like Xbench, and OpenGL tests
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Excellent news jwilliek, glad you've got it running.

For the ethernet, firewire and usb issues I found the solution was to use the WWDC 2006 versions of:

IOFirewireFamily.kext.

IOUSBFamily.kext

AppleIONetworkingFamily.kext

Alternatively, the ones from Tiger 10.4.11 may also work if you have access to this.

I'm sure we'd all be interested to know if this sorts out the issues you've had, and also a benchmark of the system.

James.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Thanks for the tip James!

I was able to get USB and FireWire working.

The Tiger versions did not work, but the WWDC '06 did work.

I'm still experimenting with the ethernet issue. I've tried Tiger & WWDC '06 versions of IONetworkingFamily.kext (couldn't find one called "AppleIONetworkingFamily.kext"). I also tried azure's method from a few posts up by copying just the Tiger version of AppleBMacEthernet.kext from inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, but none of those methods have worked so far. Leopard still thinks that my PCI Ethernet card is the Built-in ethernet.

I'm still researching the Time Machine 'backup volume could not be found' issue.

benchmarks coming up next!

Jeff
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:

Thanks for the tip James!

I was able to get USB and FireWire working.

The Tiger versions did not work, but the WWDC '06 did work.

I'm still experimenting with the ethernet issue. I've tried Tiger & WWDC '06 versions of IONetworkingFamily.kext (couldn't find one called "AppleIONetworkingFamily.kext"). I also tried azure's method from a few posts up by copying just the Tiger version of AppleBMacEthernet.kext from inside IONetworkingFamily.kext, but none of those methods have worked so far. Leopard still thinks that my PCI Ethernet card is the Built-in ethernet.

I'm still researching the Time Machine 'backup volume could not be found' issue.

benchmarks coming up next!

Jeff

AppleBMacEthernet.kext is the driver for builtin ethernet for the Beige G3 which isn't going to work for your B&W. I *THINK* the one you want for the B&W is the AppleGMacEthernet.kext. What you should do, is on the B&W load up Tiger and see in System Profiler which one is loaded.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:

Hey Azure,

You can try it, but at this stage I'm doubtful.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azure View Post

AppleBMacEthernet.kext is the driver for builtin ethernet for the Beige G3 which isn't going to work for your B&W. I *THINK* the one you want for the B&W is the AppleGMacEthernet.kext. What you should do, is on the B&W load up Tiger and see in System Profiler which one is loaded.

Thanks Azure, it worked this time! I checked system profiler in Tiger and it was actually using AppleBMacEthernet.kext...I must have done something wrong the first time I copied it over, but this time it worked, and it appears my ethernet issue is all straightened out now.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that I've successfully run Leopard retail on a G4-upgraded PowerMac 8500 and also a PowerMac 9600.

I'll post details in a couple of days.

James.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    That's awesome James! Can't wait to hear the details of those installs.

I wanted to let everyone know too, that I have Time Machine running now on my B&W. Apparently, TM uses the MAC address to make sure that it's backing up to the right place. My MAC address wasn't being reported properly for some reason, possibly because of the ethernet issues I had previously.

The fix was to remove NetworkInterfaces.plist from Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, and Extensions.mkext from System/Library - then Restart - then run the Network Setup Assistant and Airport Setup Assistant in Airport Utility, so that I had clean Network setups in place. (Note: I only ran the Airport Utility because I use an Airport Extreme as my ethernet router. Obviously if you don't have any kind of Airport setup, that would not be a necessary step.) After doing that, Time Machine kicked off without a hitch, and has been running at its regular intervals.

That was the last of my original 4 issues, so now all have been resolved and I have a fully functioning Leopard installation on my B&W.

My Xbench 1.3 score was 17.24 in Tiger, and 19.01 in Leopard.

Here are a few more screenshots:

OpenGL Extensions Viewer:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9597/openglextensionsleopardtd6.png

GioFX Open Mark Score

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3...leopardif4.png

Time Machine

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2...machineav5.png

Desktop

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/951...desktopgw8.png
  • Reply 40 of 79
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have been getting constant Kernel Panics since I installed the new iTunes 8 in Leopard. Never had a problem with iTunes 7 in Leopard, and iTunes 8 in Tiger is working fine too. I noticed that the installer installed something called CoreFP. Anyone have an idea what CoreFP is?

EDIT

Nevermind, it turns out it was a corrupt Spotlight file on my External USB HD that was causing Leopard to crash whenever it was trying to re-index the USB HD and run iTunes at the same time (since my iTunes Library is stored on the USB HD). I simply excluded the USB HD in the Spotlight privacy settings, and that seems to have done the trick.