or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation - Page 3

post #81 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What's to say that they aren't working on a much better way of doing this? They are likely trying something. possibly they will have a very good way to have it both ways. Press a button for aggregated mail, and press it again for separate accounts. I haven't seen any other phone allow something like that.

Remember all the wailing about the lack of C/Paste?

It took two years, but when it came, it turned out to be the best rendition from any phone. Notice how many people even mention it now?

Same thing for search. The Pre came out with search, and it was considered to be just wonderful. But then the iPhone had it, and suddenly, the Pre's search was criticized as being much worse than Apple's.

I suspect we'll see the same thing happen here.

Meanwhile, no big deal.

I stated that I think its coming, but unless its a radical change that is well beyond how we use multiple emails in desktop apps the resolution is very simple. Just like with Contacts, as i previously mentioned, you simply choose All Contacts or choose the contact groups you wish. This carries over easily with All Mail or choose the mail account you wish.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 187
Couldnt they just take out Verizon Logo from the front. Who sees that? The user....I think he/she already know that they have a Verizon phone.

So retarded!
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #83 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Couldnt they just take out Verizon Logo from the front. Who sees that? The user....I think he/she already know that they have a Verizon phone.

So retarded!

Where as the larger, shiny Apple logo on the back of the iPhone is not a problem? (True, there's no AT&T logo, but it would have been there if Apple let them.)

I'd rather see NO logos by anyone. This will never happen.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #84 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, hopefully, Apple will be replacing the built-in Maps app with their own app, shortly.

I don't think Apple plans on building their own so long as google will work with them, they really can't offer anything to beat the street view turn by turn.

If Google decides their app is only for Android they could do that, but then Apple should be able to still license their maps & street view. That'd be just like them though to take google's concept & really make it wicked cool.
post #85 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Where as the larger, shiny Apple logo on the back of the iPhone is not a problem? (True, there's no AT&T logo, but it would have been there if Apple let them.)

I'd rather see NO logos by anyone. This will never happen.

I agree with you --- the whole world knows that you are using the Apple iPhone. Don't need that Apple logo on the back of the iPhone.
post #86 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Couldnt they just take out Verizon Logo from the front. Who sees that? The user....I think he/she already know that they have a Verizon phone.

So retarded!

I was thinking the same thing! (At least, they could have put it on the back like Apple did, so that others could see it).
post #87 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Where as the larger, shiny Apple logo on the back of the iPhone is not a problem? (True, there's no AT&T logo, but it would have been there if Apple let them.)

See above. Every view of a corporate logo is a step - perhaps tiny, but nonetheless a step - toward potential sale. Which is why it makes no sense to put it in the front.
post #88 of 187
The carrier getting a name on the front is from the old days where the brand of phone mattered less than the carrier. Now that that's becoming less important, it will change.

But I don't mind a manufacturers logo. Everything has them.

My father in law would never allow a car dealer to put their own logo on any of his cars. He used to say that he didn't see why the store that sold him a product should have their name on it. They didn't make it.

But now, with more and more of these phones copying the way the iPhone looks, the manufacturers logo is fine.
post #89 of 187
Lucasfilm has copywrites on pretty much all the Star Wars character names, Skywalker and Darth Vader. It prevents people from using them to ride the success of Star Wars without Lucasfilm permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

My lame comment isn't about the choice of the name Droid, but the fact that George Lucas copyrighted it. Though, I guess many people when they hear "Droid" would think of the little tripod blue and white beeping thing. I dunno, I just think its stupid that particular name is copyrighted.
post #90 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hey, what works for Apple , works for Verizon. One is the largest music distributor control freak and one is the largest cell phone carrier control freak.

So what part of the music does Apple, in your words,
so freakishly control?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #91 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Lucasfilm has copywrites on pretty much all the Star Wars character names, Skywalker and Darth Vader. It prevents people from using them to ride the success of Star Wars without Lucasfilm permission.

Also, some of the George Lucas empire uses those names as corporate names, like Skywalker Sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywalker_Sound
post #92 of 187
This is going to be a hard decision to make.

The iPhone is the better phone but AT&T has the worse service and at my home almost no service. In addition our whole family is on Verizon.

The Android phone looks like it may be really good phone and it's on Verizon who I've been with for more than 15 years.

So do switch and go with the iPhone, get a Droid (would need to fine a good program to sync Android to a Mac) and wait for the iPhone to come to Verizon or stick with my V710 and wait till next June.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
post #93 of 187
With the Star Wars meme in full flight, surely...

As ObiWan said to the iPhone user, "this is not the droid you are looking for"
post #94 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Look at how the height of cars has gone down over the decades, even though taller cars are more comfortable in every way.

I don't think that's true at all. In fact, many cars have gotten taller. I recently went car shopping and I was surprised at how much space they are squeezing out of the subcompact and compact classes by making the cars taller. So unless you have facts on that, I am going to have to call BS.

However, vehicle height drastically affects aerodynamics (hence fuel efficiency) at highway speeds. Example: Honda's low-end offering, the Fit, is a subcompact that is quite tall and has more headroom than the Civic, a somewhat larger model. The negative is that you end up getting slightly better highway mileage on a Civic, which BTW has a larger engine and is heavier. But it's a good trade off since the Fit is billed as a city car and we are only talking 1 or 2 mpg difference anyway.
post #95 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I don't think that's true at all. In fact, many cars have gotten taller. I recently went car shopping and I was surprised at how much space they are squeezing out of the subcompact and compact classes by making the cars taller. So unless you have facts on that, I am going to have to call BS.

However, vehicle height drastically affects aerodynamics (hence fuel efficiency) at highway speeds. Example: Honda's low-end offering, the Fit, is a subcompact that is quite tall and has more headroom than the Civic, a somewhat larger model. The negative is that you end up getting slightly better highway mileage on a Civic, which BTW has a larger engine and is heavier. But it's a good trade off since the Fit is billed as a city car and we are only talking 1 or 2 mpg difference anyway.

The only cars I've seen getting taller are minivans and four wheel drive vehicles of any kind, because that adds some height to the mechanism. Otherwise, no.
post #96 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I don't think that's true at all. In fact, many cars have gotten taller. I recently went car shopping and I was surprised at how much space they are squeezing out of the subcompact and compact classes by making the cars taller. So unless you have facts on that, I am going to have to call BS.

However, vehicle height drastically affects aerodynamics (hence fuel efficiency) at highway speeds. Example: Honda's low-end offering, the Fit, is a subcompact that is quite tall and has more headroom than the Civic, a somewhat larger model. The negative is that you end up getting slightly better highway mileage on a Civic, which BTW has a larger engine and is heavier. But it's a good trade off since the Fit is billed as a city car and we are only talking 1 or 2 mpg difference anyway.

Taller cars would be news to me. There are very few newish cars that I don't have to slouch or lean the seat way back in, and I'm not even that tall. I think subcompacts look taller because they reduced the length and width dimensions.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #97 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

This is going to be a hard decision to make.

The iPhone is the better phone but AT&T has the worse service and at my home almost no service. In addition our whole family is on Verizon.

The Android phone looks like it may be really good phone and it's on Verizon who I've been with for more than 15 years.

So do switch and go with the iPhone, get a Droid (would need to fine a good program to sync Android to a Mac) and wait for the iPhone to come to Verizon or stick with my V710 and wait till next June.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Here's my question to you. The phone hasn't really been reviewed by any of the major sites, much less the average user. How do you know that the iPhone is the "better" phone of the two for you personally?

I'm a bit annoyed with people do this when they haven't had the chance to actually use the other device. Let it go on sale, play with it, and then if it's truly worse, then it's worse.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #98 of 187
[CENTER]10 Most Compelling Reasons To Ditch My iPhone/AT&T and Go With Moto Droid/Verizon:[/CENTER]

1. Android 2.0 is 100% Open Source and includes 100% FREE turn-by-turn Navigation.
2. The Moto Droid has not one, but two LED flashes, making for very good low-light shooting.
3. The Moto Droid/Android 2.0 does actual multi-tasking of the apps of MY choice.
4. Android 2.0 supports full GUI customization and supports live widgets (rather than mere apps).
5. The Moto Droid capacitive display is 480 x 854, some 2.69 times that on the iPhone.
6. The Moto Droid gives me the choice of using either the hardware or virtual keyboard.
7. The Moto Droid allows capacity upgrades via an expansion slot not an entirely new phone.
8. Media files are added via Drag N' Drop in Android 2.0. no need for 'confining' media software.
9. Testing has shown Moto Droid battery autonomy to be some 6 hours talk, and it's removable.
10 The Verizon network is widely heralded for its outstanding service/coverage. Critical for ANY phone.

Hmm?

Looks like the ONLY compelling reason to stay with the iPhone would be for those 85k + (low resolution) apps, and for me that's just not enough to continue supporting inferior hardware/software on a substandard network.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #99 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]10 Most Compelling Reasons To Ditch My iPhone/AT&T and Go With Moto Droid/Verizon:[/CENTER]

Or wait til November, 3. I think that Sony Ericsson presents the Xperia Android

If Droid and Xperia come to Europe unlocked for 500-600 I will be very tempted.
post #100 of 187
I have just bought CoPilot in the UK - awesome. This Google nav looks good, but I am often driving where there is only GPRS signal, or no signal at all, so an glad to have the maps on my iPhone rather than struggling to download them ...
post #101 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[…]Looks like the ONLY compelling reason to stay with the iPhone would be for those 85k + (low resolution) apps, and for me that's just not enough to continue supporting inferior hardware/software on a substandard network.

That may be your only reason, but I can find a lot of reasons why the iPhone OS, apps and HW suits my needs better than any Android-based phone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #102 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only cars I've seen getting taller are minivans and four wheel drive vehicles of any kind, because that adds some height to the mechanism. Otherwise, no.

Also in Europe.
post #103 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Why is not as intuitive as the iPhone?

I too find these 'not as intuitive as the iPhone' declarations a bit strange... especially given that those making such claims have yet to even use the Moto Droid/Adroid 2.0.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #104 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may be your only reason, but I can find a lot of reasons why the iPhone OS, apps and HW suits my needs better than any Android-based phone.

Yes...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #105 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may be your only reason, but I can find a lot of reasons why the iPhone OS, apps and HW trumps Droid.

So, actualy is only a personal decision. Weighting pros and cons and choosing the best phone/carrier.

Curiosity: It is so heterogeneus the mobile phone system in USA? Meaning if you live in one zone you have signal from one carrier or from other?

I'm so used to have HSDPA signal in almost every point (also in metro and train tunnels) in Spain and Italy that I can catch how can be different.
post #106 of 187
The competition is heating up... Good!

Unfortunately, in my opinion, they all pale in comparison to my iPhone.
post #107 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only cars I've seen getting taller are minivans and four wheel drive vehicles of any kind, because that adds some height to the mechanism. Otherwise, no.

But the cars are getting bigger. Honda Accord used to be classified as a mid size car, but now it is classified as a full size family sedan. Bigger car, longer leg room --- you redesign the seats a little bit --- you don't need the car to get taller to get comfortable.
post #108 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Curiosity: It is so heterogeneus the mobile phone system in USA? Meaning if you live in one zone you have signal from one carrier or from other?

Sure, just not everywhere. the 850Mhz spectrum is causing trouble for AT&T in buildings, but they are moving to 700Mhz. Then you have to accept that the US is much larger than most developed countries and well spread out. Getting high speed data to every part wont happen in my lifetime without sat phones. Highways and trains usually have good data rates except for some really long desolate stretches. It really varies, and the fractured network system between CDMA, GSM and T-Mobile USAs wonky 3G data frequency doesnt help.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #109 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

So, actualy is only a personal decision. Weighting pros and cons and choosing the best phone/carrier.

Curiosity: It is so heterogeneus the mobile phone system in USA? Meaning if you live in one zone you have signal from one carrier or from other?

I'm so used to have HSDPA signal in almost every point (also in metro and train tunnels) in Spain and Italy that I can catch how can be different.

It is not about heterogeneus phone systems --- it is really about regional spectrum licensing and formerly regional landline incumbents.

Other countries have one spectrum 3G license for the whole country, the FCC can divide the same spectrum spaces into a million piece for auctioning. If you don't own a spectrum license in this state, then you don't have a network in that state. That's why the iphone is not available in certain states because AT&T doesn't have a spectrum license in those states.

Also, Verizon is a landline provider in the north eastern US. AT&T is a landline provider in southern US. So naturally, Verizon being the local landline provider in New York --- will have more equipment, more cell towers, more of everything in New York city. T-Mobile in Germany is the top dog. T-Mobile in UK is a small dog.
post #110 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sure, just not everywhere. the 850Mhz spectrum is causing trouble for AT&T in buildings, but they are moving to 700Mhz. Then you have to accept that the US is much larger than most developed countries and well spread out. Getting high speed data to every part wont happen in my lifetime without sat phones. Highways and trains usually have good data rates except for some really long desolate stretches. It really varies, and the fractured network system between CDMA, GSM and T-Mobile USAs wonky 3G data frequency doesnt help.

Yeah, I think we have more choices because if we don't like a carrier we can change to another withouth changing the terminal. Here, if the phone it's subsidized you can unlock it paying a fee or waiting til the end of the contract and then go to another carrier.

My needs are very special, I doesn't use so many cal minutes (this month I have 30 call minutes) but I use data a lot so I'm with a virtual carrier without minimun call minutes (I pay 0.08 /min) and if I use less than a GB of data I pay only 5.

The bills after changing from the official iPhone carrier to this one has changed from 40 to 8-10.
post #111 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Taller cars would be news to me. There are very few newish cars that I don't have to slouch or lean the seat way back in, and I'm not even that tall. I think subcompacts look taller because they reduced the length and width dimensions.

I still call BS unless quantitative data is forthcoming. I don't know how old you guys/gals are but I am ancient and have driven Hondas (Datsuns (now Nissan) and other cars back in the 60s and 70s and you'd be basically sitting on the floor to get adequate headroom. That applies to many American cars as well.

Now go step inside a Honda Fit. It has a ginormous interior. I bet a 6'4" person would have no problem in it and it is a subcompact!

But anyway, These are all opinions (including mine, I admit) but I being a Honda owner for many years, those cars have definitely gotten taller. If you (or anyone) has some link or numbers to prove your hypothesis, I will gladly stand corrected.
post #112 of 187
Some sites about the Droid. Comparisons to iPhone, too.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/
http://www.billshrink.com/blog/total...rsus-palm-pre/

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the Droid v. iPhone browser speed test?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #113 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some sites about the Droid. Comparisons to iPhone, too.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/
http://www.billshrink.com/blog/total...rsus-palm-pre/

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the Droid v. iPhone browser speed test?

Cached images?
post #114 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some sites about the Droid. Comparisons to iPhone, too.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/
http://www.billshrink.com/blog/total...rsus-palm-pre/

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the Droid v. iPhone browser speed test?

Why Yes...

It's clear that the Droid browser is loading what appears to be a Flash object in the upper right-hand corner of the page, whereas the iPhone is not (which might account for the load-speed difference).

What's most striking in this comparison is how fast and smooth the Droid scrolled through the page once it was loaded - WOW!

FLASH... Now that what I'm taking about, and it has been promised for the Droid OS within the next 12 weeks.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #115 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yeah, I think we have more choices because if we don't like a carrier we can change to another withouth changing the terminal. Here, if the phone it's subsidized you can unlock it paying a fee or waiting til the end of the contract and then go to another carrier.

My needs are very special, I doesn't use so many cal minutes (this month I have 30 call minutes) but I use data a lot so I'm with a virtual carrier without minimun call minutes (I pay 0.08 /min) and if I use less than a GB of data I pay only 5.

The bills after changing from the official iPhone carrier to this one has changed from 40 to 8-10.

Another person that is blinded by shiny objects. You can't go elsewhere with your cell phone in Spain because all the major mobile carriers collude on price fixing.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/32208.php
post #116 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Do you mean free as in "beer" or free as in "anyone can jump off a cliff"?

Neither. More like 'free if you don't value your privacy'. Plenty of people don't, which I'm fine with. I've always been a cider man anyway

Solipsism, don't think there was anything wrong with the test. The iPhone browsing experience is awesome although it could do with quicker scrolling like the Droid (it's quite annoying when you accidentally touch the top of the screen and have to scroll all the way back down again) and fading out the bottom menu (web pages can look cramped at times - increase the screen estate please!).
post #117 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Cached images?

mayeb, they said the cache is cleared, but the history is still there. I would have started with a clean phone. Who knows what else was running in the back that the fresh Droid was not. There is also the differences in network bandwidth in various places.

They should have done a bunch of speed tests to see what the average and up speed. down speed and latency are for each network at that approx. time.

The test shows the Android 2.0 browser renders and scrolls well (wish i could increase my scroll duration on the iPhone), but the other results are ambiguous.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Why Yes...

It's clear that the Droid browser is loading what appears to be a Flash object in the upper right-hand corner of the page

There you have it, you’ve admitted that the iPhone is faster and therefore better because it isn’t loading Flash ads.

Seriously, people have been bitching about no Flash since the original ARM11 iPhone and no real Flash available that can play video or even load most of those cheesy splash pages. Now we have Android and they STILL won’t have Flash available until 2010. Sounds like Adobe has really dropped the ball.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #118 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I still call BS unless quantitative data is forthcoming. I don't know how old you guys/gals are but I am ancient and have driven Hondas (Datsuns (now Nissan) and other cars back in the 60s and 70s and you'd be basically sitting on the floor to get adequate headroom. That applies to many American cars as well.

Now go step inside a Honda Fit. It has a ginormous interior. I bet a 6'4" person would have no problem in it and it is a subcompact!

But anyway, These are all opinions (including mine, I admit) but I being a Honda owner for many years, those cars have definitely gotten taller. If you (or anyone) has some link or numbers to prove your hypothesis, I will gladly stand corrected.

It is cyclical and import vs domestic also matters, imports have traditionally been smaller than domestics, but steadily closing the gap, hence the growth you see. Cars in the 50's were massive. Imports in the 70's and early 80's were tiny. Cars of the late 80's were boats. The 90's brought "streamlined" designs with lower roofs, and this last decade has been all over the place.

What do you want to consider as the base case? A late 80's Chevy Caprice or Ford Crown Victoria, or a 1970's Japanese import? The "trend" will be completely different. All I know is that the average sedan definitely gives me problems.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #119 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Another person that is blinded by shiny objects. You can't go elsewhere with your cell phone in Spain because all the major mobile carriers collude on price fixing.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/32208.php


Ein? I was talking about changing carrier withouth having to change terminal technology.

Which shiny objects?
post #120 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There you have it, you’ve admitted that the iPhone is faster and therefore better because it isn’t loading Flash ads.

Talking about 'stretching' the truth to try to make (whatever might be) your point.

There was absolutlely no such admission/claim in my reply -

One thing's certain - At least we have some idea of when the Droid/Android 2.0 WILL support Flash, which is far more than one can say about the alternative choice.

And have you considered that the Droid is only marginally slower loading the page yet is supporting some 2.6 times the pixel/resolution of the iPhone?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation