or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 30

post #1161 of 2706
California tax law forces Amazon to withdraw associates program

They previously did this in Colorado.

Illinois, Arkansas, Connecticut, North Carolina and Rhode Island also.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #1162 of 2706
Cops raid private home, bust-up "gambling operation" (8 guys playing poker around one table).
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #1163 of 2706
Man caged for...wearing a hat.

Ah, the state. Protecting us from the evil hat-wearers of society. Do you feel safer?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #1164 of 2706
"CAIRO The military council governing Egypt is moving to lay down ground rules for a new constitution that would protect and potentially expand its own authority indefinitely, possibly circumscribing the power of future elected officials.

The military is long accustomed to virtual autonomy. Its budget has never been disclosed to Parliament, and its operations extend into commercial businesses like hotels, consumer electronics, bottled water and car manufacturing."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/wo...t.html?_r=1&hp
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #1165 of 2706
Japan's women's soccer team won the women's world cup by defeating a stunned US team in PK after a 2-2 draw in overtime.

The Japanese team was thrilled, as will be the nation; it needs the boost.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #1166 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Man caged for...wearing a hat.

Ah, the state. Protecting us from the evil hat-wearers of society. Do you feel safer?

Wow. I watched most of that, and it's pretty amazing. That said, it's a clear setup...or seems it. The fact is that the judge can pretty much do what he wants wrt the dignity of his court room. He should have fined him or just removed him, but not put him in jail, though.
post #1167 of 2706
Israli abuse common, excepted and worst of all pathetically justified. To describe them as mean cold hearted killers of Palestinians would be accurate. To describe them as trying to sabotage the lives of a whole group of people would be accurate. To describe them as having no sense of shame would be accurate-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...stinian-minors
post #1168 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

To describe them as mean cold hearted killers of Palestinians would be accurate.

I know that this is just an excuse to vent what's inside of you, but at least try to use a link that has something to do with the allegation you're making.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #1169 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I know that this is just an excuse to vent what's inside of you, but at least try to use a link that has something to do with the allegation you're making.

It does. Maybe it doesn't fit right with you though and maybe you haven't read much that doesn't fit right with you too.
post #1170 of 2706
Perhaps in your fantasy world, jailing youths for attacking soldiers is precisely the same as accusing all Israelis as being "mean cold hearted killers".

But I assure you, in the real world, it's not.
post #1171 of 2706

There has to be a good reason why the cops raided this house?
post #1172 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

There has to be a good reason why the cops raided this house?

You're right, Marv. Presumably it's because the police or someone on the force wanted to teach these guys a lesson for some reason.

Of course, the same thing could never happen if law enforcement were privatized...

Seriously, police are corrupt sometimes. But I hope some idiot isn't trying to make the moronic point that this means government is corrupt, and that the alternative would be better in some way.
post #1173 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You're right, Marv. Presumably it's because the police or someone on the force wanted to teach these guys a lesson for some reason.

Of course, the same thing could never happen if law enforcement were privatized...

What motivation would a private security agency have to raid a private (or any) poker game or other gambling operation?

post #1174 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

What motivation would a private security agency have to raid a private (or any) poker game or other gambling operation?

When it cuts into the profits of a gambling mogul.
post #1175 of 2706
Quote:

If they have he authority to raid a house for any reason whatsoever, they could have millions of sources of motivation.

If they don't have the authority to raid a house, then I would assume the police do.

If no one has the authority to raid a house, ever (what if there's a suspected murderer inside?), then it's anarchy, plain and simple.

If you're saying all private gambling should be made legal, then that's something to take up with your elected representative.

This is the way the law works.
post #1176 of 2706
Quote:

If they have he authority to raid a house for any reason whatsoever, they could have millions of sources of motivation.

Who says they would have such authority?

Quote:

If no one has the authority to raid a house, ever (what if there's a suspected murderer inside?)

Uh oh. Someone just moved the goal posts. We were discussing raiding a private place (or even a public place) because of gambling going on.

Quote:

If you're saying all private gambling should be made legal, then that's something to take up with your elected representative.

This is the way the law works.

I understand that. But, first, you seem to be evading my question. Second, this issue that just because one group of people wrote something on a piece of paper and said "it's against the law" is a somewhat dubious defense.

post #1177 of 2706
Quote:

Israli abuse common, excepted and worst of all pathetically justified. To describe them as mean cold hearted killers of Palestinians would be accurate. To describe them as trying to sabotage the lives of a whole group of people would be accurate. To describe them as having no sense of shame would be accurate-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...stinian-minors

Please explain the term "them?" Do you mean the nation of Israel on the whole?
post #1178 of 2706
It seems Bachmann suffers from regular and serious migraines... Of course, her staff will say it's nothing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_902530.html

post #1179 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It seems Bachmann suffers from regular and serious migraines... Of course, her staff will say it's nothing.

Should it matter? Is there any proof she hasn't done her job whether she gets migraines or not?

I honestly have never had a migraine headache so I can't relate but I know the amount of the population who does get them isn't small. (Seems like easily 10%+) Should we make everyone take a DNA test and make sure they have the right genes?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #1180 of 2706
Quote:

Wow. That's devastating, if true.

She would instantly have to bow out of the race because she wouldn't satisfy the eligibility requirement regarding migraines.

Unless she could provide a long-form migraine certificate, of course.

post #1181 of 2706
Quote:

I can't see how anybody would vote for a president that routinely can't function. It's irresponsible of her to run, which says a lot about her.

Here's more on this-

"When she gets them, frankly, she can't function at all. It's not like a little thing with a couple Advils. It's bad," said one adviser.

Mrs Bachmann reportedly blamed the headaches on uncomfortable high-heel shoes, but those who have worked alongside her cited stress, a busy schedule and any sort of setback as possible triggers.
~ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...migraines.html

I've heard that some people even with pills are left incapacitated. It sounds like she's lying to cover up how serious they really are. Isn't that immoral?
post #1182 of 2706
Even if I thought she was the most qualified candidate and the only person who could get the country back on its feet, I would still consider her unfit for office if she gets migraines. This is Bachmann, and even without migraines she is unfit, but that is how I feel about migraines. A close family member got them so I am speaking from direct experience. She should drop out now, period.

post #1183 of 2706

post #1184 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Presidential Diseases

Of which we all can agree, left and right, that stupidity is the most prolific.
post #1185 of 2706
Quote:

Even if I thought she was the most qualified candidate and the only person who could get the country back on its feet, I would still consider her unfit for office if she gets migraines. This is Bachmann, and even without migraines she is unfit, but that is how I feel about migraines. A close family member got them so I am speaking from direct experience. She should drop out now, period.

So let's see. Bachmann is a candidate the left is now concerned about, so they're trying to push this meme about ineligibility due to migraines? Yeah, that'll work.
post #1186 of 2706
Christianity. Religion of peace.

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/...-on-gays/57436

Christofacism, anyone?
post #1187 of 2706
Quote:

Seriously, police are corrupt sometimes. But I hope some idiot isn't trying to make the moronic point that this means government is corrupt, and that the alternative would be better in some way.

Sometimes the police get to aggressive for their own good especially when they use that stun gun on a senior who was I believe refusing to get out of her car for a stupid incident which happened not major at all.Killing Oscar Grant for really nothing and Meserle got away with it.
post #1188 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Sometimes the police get to aggressive for their own good especially when they use that stun gun on a senior who was I believe refusing to get out of her car for a stupid incident which happened not major at all.Killing Oscar Grant for really nothing and Meserle got away with it.

Agreed. But what's the alternative to the police? What's a better system than that which we currently have that would preclude things like this from happening? Privatization? Yeah, that'll work...
post #1189 of 2706
Quote:

I can't see how anybody would vote for a president that routinely can't function. It's irresponsible of her to run, which says a lot about her.

Here's more on this-

"When she gets them, frankly, she can't function at all. It's not like a little thing with a couple Advils. It's bad," said one adviser.

Mrs Bachmann reportedly blamed the headaches on uncomfortable high-heel shoes, but those who have worked alongside her cited stress, a busy schedule and any sort of setback as possible triggers.
~ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...migraines.html

I've heard that some people even with pills are left incapacitated. It sounds like she's lying to cover up how serious they really are. Isn't that immoral?

Quote:

Hmmm....some Presidents and other well-known figures with migraines

Would you vote for a President with back problems so severe, he required massive amount of drugs and injections?

And here are a few from Answers.com:

Quote:
Lyndon Johnson had a heart attack that almost took his life in 1955 but suffered no serious illness while President. Richard Nixon took his path-breaking trip to China while suffering from phlebitis, a potentially life-threatening inflammation of a vein in his leg

...Of the recent Presidents, the one with the worst health was John F. Kennedy. As a child he had numerous illnesses, including scarlet fever, bronchitis, whooping cough, diphtheria, allergies, and asthma. He had a duodenal ulcer, was color-blind in one eye, and later lost his hearing in one ear. He suffered from a bad back throughout his life and almost died from back surgery in 1954. Kennedy wore a back brace, was fitted for an elevated heel on one shoe, and often used crutches. He used a hydraulic lift to enter and exit Air Force One. ....

....There is....an ethical issue involved because Kennedy and his doctors denied that he had Addison's disease or was being treated for it.

...Dwight Eisenhower suffered a heart attack in 1955. The following year he had an operation for ileitis, an intestinal problem, and in 1957 he had a minor stroke.

I'll just stop there. While I don't support Bachmann, she should not be disqualified because she gets fucking migraines.
post #1190 of 2706
Several people have been injured in a large explosion which has damaged government buildings in central Oslo, including the office of the Norwegian prime minster.

A Reuters correspondent said he counted at least eight injured people after the unexplained blast.

The explosion blew out most windows on the 17-storey building housing Prime Minister Per Stoltenberg's office, as well as nearby ministries including the oil ministry, which was on fire. Newspaper offices in the area were also reportedly damaged.

A photo posted online showed people looking on as smoke rose drifted through the streets. The caption for the picture said "an entire block exploded".

The tangled wreckage of a car was outside one building but the cause of the blast was unknown with police and fire officials refusing to comment.

More details to follow..."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...nment-building
post #1191 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Hmmm....some Presidents and other well-known figures with migraines

Would you vote for a President with back problems so severe, he required massive amount of drugs and injections?

And here are a few from Answers.com:

I'll just stop there. While I don't support Bachmann, she should not be disqualified because she gets fucking migraines.

The only president in their was Jefferson, that got migraines. The pressures on presidents today probably make him look like a street sweeper in comparison.
post #1192 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Christianity. Religion of peace.

Christofacism, anyone?

That was shocking to read.

It makes me wonder too how far some Americans are from wanting the same thing in the US. Maybe not as far as we'd like to think.
post #1193 of 2706
Quote:

That was shocking to read.

It makes me wonder too how far some Americans are from wanting the same thing in the US. Maybe not as far as we'd like to think.

Really? It does make you wonder this? Why does it make you wonder that? Why do you think America might not be as far away as we'd like to think?

post #1194 of 2706
Quote:

Really? It does make you wonder this? Why does it make you wonder that? Why do you think America might not be as far away as we'd like to think?

It makes me wonder about 'some' Americans perhaps holding equally strong views, given there's still very much a lot of hatred towards the GLBT community. Doesn't it make you wonder? If not then then maybe you aren't that concerned with that particular community. Hate doesn't just vanish because the law prevents it being acted out, if anything to those who are adamantly against there rights, it probably enrages them further. Just like there's no doubt there's racists in the US who'd love to string up blacks, there's probably bigots who'd love to string up gays.
post #1195 of 2706
Quote:

It makes me wonder about 'some' Americans perhaps holding equally strong views, given there's still very much a lot of hatred towards the GLBT community. Doesn't it make you wonder?

No, it doesn't make me wonder.

Quote:

If not then then maybe you aren't that concerned with that particular community.

That's one possibility. The other is that I just don't really see any signs that something like this would happen in the US. I also don't see the hatred you are claiming, at least coming from Christians that I see, know and associate with.

Quote:

Hate doesn't just vanish because the law prevents it being acted out, if anything to those who are adamantly against there rights, it probably enrages them further. Just like there's no doubt there's racists in the US who'd love to string up blacks, there's probably bigots who'd love to string up gays.

I suppose that's true...and yet it isn't happening and there don't really seem to be a lot of signs of it starting. So a story about something happening in another country doesn't make me wonder about the same thing happening in the US. In fact I see the opposite going on. I see that gay/lesbian people are getting more rights (bit by bit) for things like "marriage," etc. and yet no indications of widespread intimidation and oppression of them. If anything they are becoming more public, outspoken and bold. There are regular gay pride events (parades, fests, etc.) These are not the things you'd expect to see in a country where the threat of what you're suggesting was even remotely likely or possible.

post #1196 of 2706
Quote:

No, it doesn't make me wonder.

That's one possibility. The other is that I just don't really see any signs that something like this would happen in the US. I also don't see the hatred you are claiming, at least coming from Christians that I see, know and associate with.

I suppose that's true...and yet it isn't happening and there don't really seem to be a lot of signs of it starting. So a story about something happening in another country doesn't make me wonder about the same thing happening in the US. In fact I see the opposite going on. I see that gay/lesbian people are getting more rights (bit by bit) for things like "marriage," etc. and yet no indications of widespread intimidation and oppression of them. If anything they are becoming more public, outspoken and bold. There are regular gay pride events (parades, fests, etc.) These are not the things you'd expect to see in a country where the threat of what you're suggesting was even remotely likely or possible.

I wasn't saying and I didn't remotely imply that this was going to happen in the US. NoahJ I have found completely misinterprets my posts more than anyone else, but your begining to catch up. Please try and not impose your thoughts so quickly onto my words...its a problem you should deal with so you can engage in a deeper discussion.
post #1197 of 2706
Quote:

I wasn't saying and I didn't remotely imply that this was going to happen in the US. NoahJ I have found completely misinterprets my posts more than anyone else, but your begining to catch up.

Let's start from the beginning.

You replied to a post with this article:

With:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon

I asked why, and you stuck to your guns with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon

It makes me wonder about 'some' Americans perhaps holding equally strong views, given there's still very much a lot of hatred towards the GLBT community. Doesn't it make you wonder? If not then then maybe you aren't that concerned with that particular community. Hate doesn't just vanish because the law prevents it being acted out, if anything to those who are adamantly against there rights, it probably enrages them further. Just like there's no doubt there's racists in the US who'd love to string up blacks, there's probably bigots who'd love to string up gays.

Now you're claiming you didn't even remotely imply something like this would happen in the US and that I'm simply mis-interpreting what you're saying (followed with a near ad hominem).

No, of course not. You're not implying that at all. You're just vaguely wondering. I get it.

Quote:

Please try and not impose your thoughts so quickly onto my words...its a problem you should deal with so you can engage in a deeper discussion.

Where have I "imposed my thoughts on your words?" I have tried to understand an interpret to what you've said by asking some questions. I've also responded with evidence that suggests this wondering you're doing is rather baseless.

post #1198 of 2706
Quote:

Let's start from the beginning.

You replied to a post with this article:

With:

I asked why, and you stuck to your guns with:

Now you're claiming you didn't even remotely imply something like this would happen in the US and that I'm simply mis-interpreting what you're saying (followed with a near ad hominem).

No, of course not. You're not implying that at all. You're just vaguely wondering. I get it.

Where have I "imposed my thoughts on your words?" I have tried to understand an interpret to what you've said by asking some questions. I've also responded with evidence that suggests this wondering you're doing is rather baseless.

The US as practically everyone knows has laws regarding hate crimes relating to gays and the US has been becoming considerably more progressive towards them. Indeed just today I read how the US military is planning on or is already allowing gays to openly serve in the military. To suppose I was trying to imply that what's happening in Ghana could or is likely to happen in the US is just absurd. I never implied that, this is just stupid arguing about it.
post #1199 of 2706
Quote:

The US as practically everyone knows has laws regarding hate crimes relating to gays and the US has been becoming considerably more progressive towards them. Indeed just today I read how the US military is planning on or is already allowing gays to openly serve in the military. To suppose I was trying to imply that what's happening in Ghana could or is likely to happen in the US is just absurd. I never implied that, this is just stupid arguing about it.

Sorry. I will avoid reading what your words say and just start reading your mind.

post #1200 of 2706
Quote:

Sorry. I will avoid reading into your words things that are completely irrational, so I don't make huge leaps of my own that clearly aren't what you intended.

tfthy.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.