or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores

post #1 of 91
Thread Starter 
After a number of pranksters uploaded videos of themselves "jailbreaking" demo iOS devices on display at Apple's retail stores, the company has blocked access to the website from its networks.

The jailbreakme.com URL is used to conduct a browser-based jailbreak of iOS devices -- the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch -- by taking advantage of a PDF security hole found in the Mobile Safari browser. Users jailbreak devices to run unauthorized software and make modifications to the iOS operating system that can potentially void the warranty of the device.

Soon after the jailbreak was released this week, some users began uploading videos of themselves to YouTube, completing the process and vandalizing equipment in an Apple store while attempting to conceal their efforts from the retail employees.

Apple quickly caught on to their efforts, however, and reports from others who attempted the act now say that the company has banned access to the jailbreakme.com website on Wi-Fi networks at its stores.

While the jailbreak process is legal and carries no malicious intent, the exploit utilized to crack the iOS 4 operating system is potentially dangerous and could be used to give a nefarious hacker remote control of someone's phone by simply getting them to visit a website on their phone. Apple this week revealed that it already has a fix in place for the PDF exploit, and it will be included in a forthcoming update to iOS devices.
post #2 of 91
Jailbreak isn't illegal since 1 week... just avoids the warranty.
post #3 of 91
Quote:
While the jailbreak process is illegal and carries no malicious intent

"illegal"? Shouldn't that read "legal"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is smart to delay their release of the fix they have in place for the PDF exploit. They should wait until they figure out how to brick all the jailbroken iPhones with the update.

Are you serious?
post #4 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post

Are you serious?

No he isn't serious. Don't take the bait.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #5 of 91
I think it's rather childish to go to stores and JB their equipment. Yes it's legal to JB, but I'm pretty sure that refers to a device that you have purchased for yourself.
post #6 of 91
I guess this will stop some in store jailbreaks. Anyone with a mobile hotspot or a phone that can act as one will still be able to do it.

Next: remotely loading and installing Android on a jailbroken iPad demo unit.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #7 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple quickly caught on to their efforts, however, and reports from others who attempted the act now say that the company has banned access to the jailbreakme.com website on Wi-Fi networks at its stores.

Not good enough Apple:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/a...-jailbreaking/

This is a serious exploit on every single iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and needs to properly patched ASAP.
post #8 of 91
Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.
post #9 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.

Which if they want to see how jailbreak works, they can go to youtube and watch it.

Remember, these are corporate display models (aka, not owned by the users jailbreaking them)

I don't agree with people jailbreaking (or rooting) store owned devices. I think if you want to jailbreak your device, you should. but don't mess with someone elses property (which jailbreaking a store model is doing)
post #10 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is smart to delay their release of the fix they have in place for the PDF exploit. They should wait until they figure out how to brick all the jailbroken iPhones with the update.

Okaywould love to hear your explanation for this.
Are you Darth Stevo's errand troll or something?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #11 of 91
At least we in America still lead the world in something: douche bags who think it's funny to screw things up for the rest of us. Apple Stores have always been very open and welcoming, allowing all comers to try the devices for themselves. Much more of this behavior and we'll all have to make appointments to touch anything, and under supervision. If so you can thank jerk wads like these.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #12 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.

I don't get it. Would jailbreaking my iPhone 3G make iOS 4 run smoother?
post #13 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

At least we in America still lead the world in something: douche bags who think it's funny to screw things up for the rest of us. Apple Stores have always been very open and welcoming, allowing all comers to try the devices for themselves. Much more of this behavior and we'll all have to make appointments to touch anything, and under supervision. If so you can thank jerk wads like these.

I hope that anyone caught trying to bypass the security(?) and jailbreaking using another source will be dragged out the store by store security and banned from all apple stores for the remainder of their lives >.>
post #14 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

At least we in America still lead the world in something: douche bags who think it's funny to screw things up for the rest of us. Apple Stores have always been very open and welcoming, allowing all comers to try the devices for themselves. Much more of this behavior and we'll all have to make appointments to touch anything, and under supervision. If so you can thank jerk wads like these.

Sadly, others may be inspired to try this. Good point though, this is a perfect example of how a few idiots end up ruining things for everyone else.
post #15 of 91
Just turn off wifi in settings and jailbreak on 3G in their stores...
post #16 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Just turn off wifi in settings and jailbreak on 3G in their stores...

as I suggested in a post above:
I hope that anyone caught trying to bypass the security(?) and jailbreaking using another source will be dragged out the store by store security and banned from all apple stores for the remainder of their lives >.>
post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

as I suggested in a post above:
I hope that anyone caught trying to bypass the security(?) and jailbreaking using another source will be dragged out the store by store security and banned from all apple stores for the remainder of their lives >.>

Wouldn't it better to just fix the exploit?
post #18 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

as I suggested in a post above:
I hope that anyone caught trying to bypass the security(?) and jailbreaking using another source will be dragged out the store by store security and banned from all apple stores for the remainder of their lives >.>

I wonder if I walked into one of Microsoft's retail stores and installed ubuntu on their systems, would I get away with a simple banning?
post #19 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Wouldn't it better to just fix the exploit?

i meant in the meantime :/
post #20 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.

No, it isn't obvious that Apple "did not thoroughly test their software." Do you have proof of this? iOS 4 actually runs well on most devices. Quite frankly, those with older devices should be happy that Apple sees fit to bring them new features at all. Attempting to make mobile software that runs on current generation phones (read: iPhone 4) and on considerably older generation phones (read: iPhone and iPhone 3G) is a daunting task. Those devices have quite disparate computing power.
I actually own an iPhone 3G that I've updated to iOS 4. It runs well. If you are having trouble, reset your phone. That simple step fixes any 'issues' for most users.

Your comments about BP (at least) are childish. BP is doing an excellent job addressing the spill and was actually hindered by the government at multiple points in time. Further, BP was not the company that made the errors that led to the spill, it was not a BP crew that caused the explosion, most of the oil has already been remediated, and BP, as a whole, is actually a relatively "good" company. Look into the numbers, BP is a major producer of "alternative energy". Stop repeating what you hear on TV, it makes you look uninformed and puerile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Just turn off wifi in settings and jailbreak on 3G in their stores...

Yes, because, clearly, Apple will have all the devices in-store both activated and on a live subscription. While they use microcells in-store, do you really think they want to leave their product demonstrations at the mercy of AT&T's network?
post #21 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I wonder if I walked into one of Microsoft's retail stores and installed ubuntu on their systems, would I get away with a simple banning?

No, most likely you'd be sued on a number of property-related counts (including trespass and destruction of property).

(Of note: The aforementioned reaction applies to most companies that retail electronics [or software], not just Microsoft.)
post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Yes, because, clearly, Apple will have all the devices in-store both activated and on a live subscription.

well, yes actually.
post #23 of 91
the people who post here seem to have no clue or are paid Apple trolls.

Jailbreaking damages nothing, the whole "voiding warranty" thing is because Apple wants to dissuade people from using the devices they own in a way that doesn't maximize Apple's or AT&T's revenue.

The pirating software argument is a similar straw man. People jailbreak their phones and iPads because they want to use prepaid SIM cards when traveling or MyFi because it's retarded to have multiple "unlimited" data subscriptions, one for each device, when an iPad could easily access the web through the iPhone, etc.

And yes, jailbreakme.com works in the retail stores even without resorting to 3G despite the block, just use a bit of creative thinking...

Jailbreaking is fully reversible, just do a restore of the device, which Apple likely does routinely on their display models anyway because random people fingering any hardware will inevitably mess up settings, delete preinstalled demo apps, etc.

Get a clue people, jail breaking display phones will not affect Apple's retail operations in the least.
post #24 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post

Some of you are way uptight. Yes its immature, but doing juvenile things is fun sometimes. I'm pretty sure you do worse things. Think I'll go back with MyWi on my iPhone 4 and do a few more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwP6J2N5V20

The guy in that video looks almost 40... you would think he would have grown up by now.
post #25 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

well, yes actually.

I believe they are running them through a microcell (likely with some filters in place), though. So it's not a "real" 3G connection to AT&T's network you're getting. It's a moderated 3G connection to impress users without showing them the ugly side of Apple's mobile products (AT&T's network).

If Apple has not implemented filters on the 3G access, then that is a major oversight on their part.
post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

the people who post here seem to have no clue or are paid Apple trolls.

Jailbreaking damages nothing, the whole "voiding warranty" thing is because Apple wants to dissuade people from using the devices they own in a way that doesn't maximize Apple's or AT&T's revenue.

The pirating software argument is a similar straw man. People jailbreak their phones and iPads because they want to use prepaid SIM cards when traveling or MyFi because it's retarded to have multiple "unlimited" data subscriptions, one for each device, when an iPad could easily access the web through the iPhone, etc.

And yes, jailbreakme.com works in the retail stores even without resorting to 3G despite the block, just use a bit of creative thinking...

Jailbreaking is fully reversible, just do a restore of the device, which Apple likely does routinely on their display models anyway because random people fingering any hardware will inevitably mess up settings, delete preinstalled demo apps, etc.

Get a clue people, jail breaking display phones will not affect Apple's retail operations in the least.

Totally irrelevant post. I don't have a problem with jailbreaking. It's when you jailbreak mine that we have a problem.
post #27 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software.

No. They don't care. The wonders of jailbreaking are always way overstated on tech forums. Geeks are smart, but often not very sensible.

As to the rest of your post, please go troll elsewhere. iOS is a dream to use on an iPhone 4. Works just okay on a 3G. Then again, it's a 3G. 3GS probably runs it better.
post #28 of 91
Seems to me that the pranksters are performing vandalism. I would hope that Apple would get the law enforcement involved and have You Tube/Google to provide information on who uploaded the videos. I haven't seen the videos, but I guess that the prankster's faces might be shown. It would be clear evidence that could be used to prosecute.

Better Yet, MAYBE, Apple is utilizing the face recognition software that they have in iPhoto and is comparing the faces with those on Facebook. Now that I think about it. I wonder if the FBI is combing thru Facebook photos and is compiling a large database of faces to names. We are all being watched!
Hmm, I'm starting to think I watch too many movies.
post #29 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

I believe they are running them through a microcell (likely with some filters in place), though. So it's not a "real" 3G connection to AT&T's network you're getting. It's a moderated 3G connection to impress users without showing them the ugly side of Apple's mobile products (AT&T's network).

If Apple has not implemented filters on the 3G access, then that is a major oversight on their part.

over in the uk they don't appear to use microcells, although even of they do you can switch over to the BT openzone community wifi in my towns apple store.
post #30 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Just turn off wifi in settings and jailbreak on 3G in their stores...

You must be one of the shitwads that thinks this is funny...wouldn't work on 3G anyways dumbass. They blocked the URL...
post #31 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think it's rather childish to go to stores and JB their equipment. Yes it's legal to JB, but I'm pretty sure that refers to a device that you have purchased for yourself.

Jailbreaking is only allowed on something you own.
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Wouldn't it better to just fix the exploit?

Are you not paying attention? What do you think Apple has been working on? Keep up!
post #33 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The guy in that video looks almost 40... you would think he would have grown up by now.

He's 37 and yeah...what a little bitch...
post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After a number of pranksters uploaded videos of themselves "jailbreaking" demo iOS devices on display at Apple's retail stores, the company has blocked access to the website from its networks.

The jailbreakme.com URL is used to conduct a browser-based jailbreak of iOS devices -- the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch -- by taking advantage of a PDF security hole found in the Mobile Safari browser. Users jailbreak devices to run unauthorized software and make modifications to the iOS operating system that can potentially void the warranty of the device.

Soon after the jailbreak was released this week, some users began uploading videos of themselves to YouTube, completing the process and vandalizing equipment in an Apple store while attempting to conceal their efforts from the retail employees.

Apple quickly caught on to their efforts, however, and reports from others who attempted the act now say that the company has banned access to the jailbreakme.com website on Wi-Fi networks at its stores.

While the jailbreak process is legal and carries no malicious intent, the exploit utilized to crack the iOS 4 operating system is potentially dangerous and could be used to give a nefarious hacker remote control of someone's phone by simply getting them to visit a website on their phone. Apple this week revealed that it already has a fix in place for the PDF exploit, and it will be included in a forthcoming update to iOS devices.

The shithead douches doing this are soon going to find themselves banned from the stores and knowing Jobs....he'll have them arrested for vandalism of Apple property.
post #35 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Jailbreaking is only allowed on something you own.

Which is what I said.
post #36 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post

Are you kidding? I hope the cops show up and try and arrest me. A lot of good it did Apple trying to arrest the guy that found the prototype iPhone 4. Why is this vandalism?? These are display models for your use. If I added wallpaper with a picture of Steve doing something disgusting is that vandalism??

Yes, I'm 37 and I hope I'll still be doing immature things when I'm 67. It's Friday time to go drink. Maybe if we shared a few pints you'd seem like an OK guy coolcat, but I doubt it.

It's become obvious that he's either a troll or a halfwit. Either way, he's not worth the time.
post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I don't get it. Would jailbreaking my iPhone 3G make iOS 4 run smoother?

jailbreaking makes using your device easier and more efficient.

a few examples:
1. sbsettings: with 2 taps, from any app, turn on/off: 3g, data, gps, wifi, etc.
quick access to disable these services can save hours of battery life.
2. my3g: use skype or facetime from your 3g connection
3. ultrasn0w: use your phone on a different carrier or different country
4. ssh: change your device root password for security reasons

you should try it, and if you don't agree with me then tell us the reasons you disagree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is smart to delay their release of the fix they have in place for the PDF exploit. They should wait until they figure out how to brick all the jailbroken iPhones with the update.

This guy is probably scared of installing linux on his precious windows PC. With his logic MS should brick all PC's that have safari installed or Apple should brick all Macs with Office installed. Before disagreeing with Jailbreaking, you should do the following:
1. make sure you understand its legal
2. try it yourself
3. if you dont like it reinstall iOS in DFU mode

after you reinstall iOS in DFU you still get warranty repairs, no questions asked.
post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post

Are you kidding? I hope the cops show up and try and arrest me.

Me too. It would flat make my week to see you and your fellow morons frog-marched out in handcuffs....

post #39 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

the people who post here seem to have no clue or are paid Apple trolls.

Jailbreaking damages nothing, the whole "voiding warranty" thing is because Apple wants to dissuade people from using the devices they own in a way that doesn't maximize Apple's or AT&T's revenue.

The pirating software argument is a similar straw man. People jailbreak their phones and iPads because they want to use prepaid SIM cards when traveling or MyFi because it's retarded to have multiple "unlimited" data subscriptions, one for each device, when an iPad could easily access the web through the iPhone, etc.

And yes, jailbreakme.com works in the retail stores even without resorting to 3G despite the block, just use a bit of creative thinking...

Jailbreaking is fully reversible, just do a restore of the device, which Apple likely does routinely on their display models anyway because random people fingering any hardware will inevitably mess up settings, delete preinstalled demo apps, etc.

Get a clue people, jail breaking display phones will not affect Apple's retail operations in the least.

It doesn't matter if it's easily erased, or easy for the store to reset (or even that it's safe).

The fact remains is that the people doing this do NOT own those devices, so it is not their right to decide what's to be done with them. If someone took your phone an unjailbroke it without your permission (even if it was still easy to rejailbreak) wouldn't you be pissed that someone was doing things to your device without your permission?
post #40 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.

The last bit of your comment I'm not understanding - in what way exacting is Apple reminding you of Microsoft (I assume, and not muscular dystrophy) Toyota and BP? How does blocking jailbreaking at Apple Store on Apple-owned devices equate to the activities of any of the above companies at any point in their history? Disregarding for a moment the complexity of maintaining browsers (which is why every asshat with an opinion doesn't build their own I guess), how does being a longtime Apple user matter in the course of your opinion? For example, you may not have known but Marvin, one of our illustrious moderators here not only moderates this blog, but also run a pre-eminent Fortune 50 electronics company with some of the leading devices preferred by consumers world-wide. Which is why he can deliver the incisive and revelatory commentary that he does. With the background and experience as CEO of such a company he has immediate and valid insights into the intricacies of maintaining the complex ecosphere of his devices and therefore is qualified without question to comment accurately about Apple faux pas. It is wise to take guidance from him as well as the many other well-founded commenters in this fora.

[END HUMOROUS IRONY]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores