or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799 - Page 2

post #41 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Teckstud. For sure. Better spell-check, this time around.

I dont think he plans to be using that username for long. Hes not even trying anymore hes just trying.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

The difference is that this tablet will only have a 3G model at launch with Wi-Fi-only coming later. You'll need a contract, just like the 3G iPad..

There is no contract for the 3G iPad.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #43 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

*sigh* Do we really still have to go through this? Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems...

So if there is no fragmentation then I can take any Android app from a current release Android device and it will run on any other Android device? So those articles Ive about developers not supporting certain *new* devices and *new* devices not getting the latest version of Android are all false?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t think he plans to be using that username for long. He’s not even trying anymore… he’s just trying.

It seems people have a problem with my username for no reason. And I really don't know why. Is it not good enough for you? When people start judging you based on how creative your username is, that's just sad.
post #45 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Don't you love how the pricing relation is against the iPad v1? When iPad 2 hits the market with more ram and speed, then what?

I don't think the Xoom will be DoA, but I do think it will not sell near as many units as iPads. I'm curious as to how all this competition will play out.

Well, it wouldn't quite be right to compare it to a product that, officially speaking, doesn't even exist.

Yes, I'm pretty sure iPad 2 will leaprog the Xoom. Then the Xoom 2 will leapfrog the iPad 2...

I do like the fact that the Xoom's UI is designed to take advantage of all the space. The iPad's apps do this pretty well, but the homescreen is stuck in iPod mode. Instead of 16 apps (iPhone) you get 24! That's not really a big advantage... iOS 5 better come up with some better use of homepage/notifications...
post #46 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

It seems people seem to have a problem with my username for no reason. And I really don't know why. Is it not good enough for you? Sorry.

Oh, by the way, the iPad 3G does not require a contract. Yes, I know that others have already told you so, however I'm compelled to comment on your ineptitude. Your attitude demands it.

Maybe next time you will research before you post your opinion.

Or don't. Your pathetic flailing is quite entertaining and undoubtedly generates more pageviews for AppleInsider.

Incidentally, I don't give a sh*t about your username.

Have a nice day.
post #47 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Oh, by the way, the iPad 3G does not require a contract.

Maybe next time you will research before you post your opinion.

Did you not see where I corrected that above? With all that time you seem to spend on this site with all your posts and all, that's surprising. Typical AI arrogance.


People on this website make me ashamed to be typing on a Mac right now. No wonder why so many people hate Apple.
post #48 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

dead BEFORE arrival, in fact

"Pre-DOA."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #49 of 192
Zzzzzzz . . .
post #50 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Did you not see where I corrected that above? With all that time you seem to spend on this site with all your posts and all, that's surprising.

I saw what you did.

You C-Y-A-ed. That doesn't change the nature of your original post.

Your hand was caught in the cookie jar and you got burned.

You aren't fooling anyone.
post #51 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of what the masses want
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ther-carriers/ I wonder if that trend will carry over to Verizon. I think it will, as well as pull customers from non-iPhone carrying carriers.

This whole chart seems wrong to me. There are 292.8 million mobile phone subscribers in the United States, but 308.7 million Americans in the United States.

(Didn't want to include the link, due to TOS)

There are also about 53.9 million kids, 12 years or younger, which would be a good guess as to when kids start getting phones.

Just saying......
post #52 of 192
Great. Another thread hijacked and ruined by the schizoid Disciples of Teckstud.

Hey Mods... are you reading this?
post #53 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Kind of like half the people here, right?

EDIT: i'll go with 90%.

Interesting to note how Moto bad mouthed the ipad by calling it a giant iphone, then build something comparable and proclaim it's difference... If that's not a RDF then what is? Perhaps delusional is better suited to this effort by Motorola.
post #54 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

This whole chart seems wrong to me. There are 292.8 million mobile phone subscribers in the United States, but 308.7 million Americans in the United States.

(Didn't want to include the link, due to TOS)

There are also about 53.9 million kids, 12 years or younger, which would be a good guess as to when kids start getting phones.

Just saying......

You lost me. What about the chart looks wrong? The numbers you mentioned seem accurate to me but I don’t know what that has to do with the population of the US or the chart’s subscriber numbers from the top four MNOs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #55 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Didn't realize you worked for Apple or AT&T. Great sales line.

This is not AT&T. You need a regular contract.

I don't need a contract, nor do need AT&T. Ever heard of pre-paid data?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #56 of 192
The pricing seems ok to me. You pay a little more but you much better specs.

Two things to watch. One, how Android deals handles the faster hardware (i.e. does it actually perform twice as quick as the iPad inline with the specs) and two, the release of iPad 2 (which could totally change the value for money aspect of the xoom).
post #57 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Interesting to note how Moto bad mouthed the ipad by calling it a giant iphone, then build something comparable and proclaim it's difference... If that's not a RDF then what is? Perhaps delusional is better suited to this effort by Motorola.

The thing is that while the iPad isn't really like an iPhone, it really does look like one. The homescreen is virtually the same and at first glance, you would think it was in fact a giant-iPhone.

While the Xoom is like the iPad in many respects, I really do like how they did the menu by actually making it suitable for a tablet to not make it look like a phone. I hope Apple does the same. It would really make it stand out even more from the iPhone.
post #58 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Seriously? The killer app is going to be accurate weather conditions at any elevation?

And for only $500 more than the iPad?

The line for these things should be - um - out the - um - door!

Where can i find this ipad 32gb with 3g, with front and rear cameras for 300$



Cheers
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #59 of 192
Somewhere DaHarder is contemplating downing an entire bottle of Tylernol - hang in there, buddy!!!
post #60 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

The thing is that while the iPad isn't really like an iPhone, it really does look like one. The homescreen is virtually the same and at first glance, you would think it was in fact a giant-iPhone.

While the Xoom is like the iPad in many respects, I really do like how they did the menu by actually making it suitable for a tablet to not make it look like a phone. I hope Apple does the same. It would really make it stand out even more from the iPhone.

For good reason, Apple is going for a standardized interface across it's product line. It's called ease of use... Note the advertising "if you know how to use iphone then you know how to use ipad" (not exact words but you get the meaning). People see it as familiar, there's no learning curve. It's good that the Xoom is different visually - it has to be, of course - and perhaps it has features that are in some ways easier to use and more visually appealing to the ipad, I haven't played with one so I don't know. I hope they make it work well and sell some of them to keep Apple on their toes.
post #61 of 192
I completely agree that they should have a lot of consistency between iPhone and iPad. However, if they want people to stop thinking of an iPad as simply a giant iPhone, maybe it would be best if they didn't make it look like one when you first turn it on. What really irks me is how the icons are so spaced out on the homescreen like they didn't want to make use of the screen space. Because that truly does make it look like an oversized phone.
post #62 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Well, it wouldn't quite be right to compare it to a product that, officially speaking, doesn't even exist.

Yes, I'm pretty sure iPad 2 will leaprog the Xoom. Then the Xoom 2 will leapfrog the iPad 2...

I do like the fact that the Xoom's UI is designed to take advantage of all the space. The iPad's apps do this pretty well, but the homescreen is stuck in iPod mode. Instead of 16 apps (iPhone) you get 24! That's not really a big advantage... iOS 5 better come up with some better use of homepage/notifications...

Cannot argue with any points in your post and I also agree with the "... better used of homepage ..." comment. Apple could do so many great things with the UI that I don't think would make life too difficult for the naive iPad users.

I'm curious to see what Apple does with OSX "Lion" and future versions of iOS.
post #63 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

I completely agree that they should have a lot of consistency between iPhone and iPad. However, if they want people to stop thinking of an iPad as simply a giant iPhone

It's not hurting sales. The need for consistency is greater than the need for differentiation.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #64 of 192
Why don't we get a pool going to guess when the Xoom will actually be released.

If this thing is supposed to ship on February 14th then that pretty much means that it's being manufactured as we speak... yet, to the best of my knowledge, Rubin hasn't even completed Android 3.0 (Honeycomb).

I'm guessing May or June before this thing gets out the door... otherwise how can they get the bugs out of this thing if the OS hasn't even been finalized?

This thing is just being rushed out the door too fast.

Good luck with that Motorola. [why doesn't Apple buy Moto Mobility?... I actually got the feeling that Moto chopped itself in half for the specific reason of selling one of the 2 divisions.]
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #65 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

*sigh* Do we really still have to go through this? Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems -- Android is neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of total devices shipped, new devices activated, etc.
?

Apparently you have never written android code. Fragmentation is real.
post #66 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

*sigh* Do we really still have to go through this? Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems -- Android is neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of total devices shipped, new devices activated, etc.

Apparently we do. It is a significant issue for developers, and several of the leading Android devs report having to do QA on over 100 HW/SW pair variants because they are different enough to cause differing application behavior. Thus there are a significant number of apps that aren't always compatible with all versions on release. THAT is the DEFINITION of fragmentation!
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #67 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Somewhere DaHarder is contemplating downing an entire bottle of Tylernol - hang in there, buddy!!!

Two cheers to that mate!
post #68 of 192
removed
post #69 of 192
Quote:
If the leaked price of $799 is to be believed, the Xoom would cost $70 more than the 32GB 3G iPad, which sells for $729.

or $30 less than the 64GB iPad.
post #70 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If this thing is supposed to ship on February 14th then that pretty much means that it's being manufactured as we speak... yet, to the best of my knowledge, Rubin hasn't even completed Android 3.0 (Honeycomb).

I would hope they are in production if they are shipping 2/14. The lunar new year starts 2/3 and means no manufacturing for two weeks.
post #71 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Okay, then that's a poor example. A better example would be how the iPhone would be over $600 if you did not have a contract.

And thanks for your civilized response instead of "OMGZ YOU SAID THAT WRONG". Much appreciated.

Switching products switched the market. Try again.

You now have to compare the competition in Android Phones versus the iPhone.

Or you could just be an adult and admit you are wrong.
post #72 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I guess they can't keep costs down. Apple hogging up all the components supplies is paying off..

I think Apple sells so many that manufacturers give them discounts. Whereas there would live to be like 200 or 300 andoid tables out in order for it to just barely even compete and those will be all different versions of Honeycomb supporting different things. The beauty of the PC was the fact that even with multiple hardware vendors, you still got the same experience. For an end user that's important. At $799 bucks is rather expensive for a product that's not aimed at the high end market.
post #73 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Did you not see where I corrected that above? With all that time you seem to spend on this site with all your posts and all, that's surprising. Typical AI arrogance.


People on this website make me ashamed to be typing on a Mac right now. No wonder why so many people hate Apple.

Complete strangers on the Internets can make you feel ashamed?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #74 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Well, it wouldn't quite be right to compare it to a product that, officially speaking, doesn't even exist.

Yes, I'm pretty sure iPad 2 will leaprog the Xoom. Then the Xoom 2 will leapfrog the iPad 2...

I do like the fact that the Xoom's UI is designed to take advantage of all the space. The iPad's apps do this pretty well, but the homescreen is stuck in iPod mode. Instead of 16 apps (iPhone) you get 24! That's not really a big advantage... iOS 5 better come up with some better use of homepage/notifications...

Excellently spoken. I too wish for a better 'home' page. More notifications. Unfortunately, and I'm new to these rumor sites, from what I've heard about the new iOS 'build', we can't even expect the new swiping controls. It may be a looooong while before we see something good.
post #75 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I don`t see why everyone seems to find this too expensive.

It`s only $70 more than the closest comparable iPad with what seems to be superior specs and abilities.

How many people are buying the highest end iPad? My guess is the $499 16GB/wifi-only model is most popular based on what my friends/family have bought. No way of knowing for sure since Apple doesn't release exact sales figures.
post #76 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I think Apple sells so many that manufacturers give them discounts. Whereas there would live to be like 200 or 300 andoid tables out in order for it to just barely even compete and those will be all different versions of Honeycomb supporting different things. The beauty of the PC was the fact that even with multiple hardware vendors, you still got the same experience. For an end user that's important. At $799 bucks is rather expensive for a product that's not aimed at the high end market.

It's the 'un-tapped' potential that worries me. I really does look futuristic. It's what we thought we would be doing ten years ago.
post #77 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

It's the 'un-tapped' potential that worries me. I really does look futuristic. It's what we thought we would be doing ten years ago.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here....but its pretty thats for sure but its too expensive.
post #78 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

How many people are buying the highest end iPad? My guess is the $499 16GB/wifi-only model is most popular based on what my friends/family have bought. No way of knowing for sure since Apple doesn't release exact sales figures.

Seriously? I have the 64G WiFi model. I was very dissapointed when they only introduced it with 64G. I had that on the iPod touch. I would gladly pay $1,500+ for the best iPad. I have enough contracts out there already.
post #79 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Not sure what point you are trying to make here....but its pretty thats for sure but its too expensive.

Help me out with your post please.
post #80 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

iPad2, iPad2... Retina, or close display. So far no one has brought up the fact of the storage capacity to offset the increased display resolution. There would have to be a jump in storage. Maybe topping 128? Every picture would take up 4X the space. So now you have a cost increase on the panel, but to retain the same user experience you need to upgrade the storage at the same price point...

Maybe I figured it wrong. I don't have the knowledge you guys do, but it seems to make sense.

I do think Honeycomb will win out in the end. Just because of its' nature. The iPad appeals to everyone. It offers the same experience to a 90 year old as it does to t 10 year old. Being simplistic could be iOS's biggest downfall.

If only we could combine iOS with Honeycomb and W7... Honestly, who here would hate having extra options? ...along with updated panels/icons?

Same storage space for a given file as before
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799