or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Android widens lead on Apple's iPhone in US smartphone market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Android widens lead on Apple's iPhone in US smartphone market - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

They already are giving them away for free.

So is the iPhone, what is your point?
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NShirkey View Post

Android is an OS not a phone. Windows has a much larger market share than OSX. Go with Windows and Android if that rocks your boat.

why would you assume windows and android go together? in my family we have 3 macs and two android phones and love them equally.
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why is this 'lead' important?

Because we are all afraid that what happened between Apple and Microsoft will happen all over again with the iPhone. Apple started off with a good market share, ended up with almost nothing.
post #44 of 99
And yet in the end, Apple is still making more profit than all of those Android OEMs combined.
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why is this 'lead' important?

Because "A" is for Apple, not Android! Oh, and "J" is for Jacks!...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #46 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Google is the Microsoft of the smartphone world. That's not a good thing. Any business model that is not similar or the same as Apple's vertical model is to be avoided.

Oh, yeah, the tired, "If it's not Apple, it's crap" mantra. Google's profit seems to be doing well without having to copy Apple.

Quote:
When it comes to single handsets, the iPhone is still the best-selling handset. No one can make an iPhone-killer. But it sure is easy to churn out a lot of junk at various price points and two-fer deals and then turn around and claim market share.

And again, the tired, two-for-one argument. The Android phone makers DON'T sell their phones BOGO. That's the cell phone carriers. To Motorola, Verizon selling 2 Droid 2 phones at $199 each or selling just one Droid 2 for $199 and giving the other away for free is exactly the same profit wise. Verizon still pays Motorola for 2 phones in either scenario. To the service providers, phones are essentially loss leaders intended to get people to buy the big ticket item, the service contract. Just like CDs and DVDs have been used by retailers to lure people in hoping to upsell them to other more expensive merchandise. Maybe some day, you and others here will finally understand that concept.
post #47 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So is the iPhone, what is your point?

No one gives away an iPhone for free. Every single iPhone you see was paid for by a consumer at some point. You can get Android in a BOGO deal any day of the week. Like others have said, the only reason they have a lead is because it's essentially 4 iPhones versus hundreds of Android phones. It's really remarkable for Apple to have the numbers that they do.
post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Oh, yeah, the tired, "If it's not Apple, it's crap" mantra. Google's profit seems to be doing well without having to copy Apple.

Yea, because they're just copying everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And again, the tired, two-for-one argument. The Android phone makers DON'T sell their phones BOGO. That's the cell phone carriers. To Motorola, Verizon selling 2 Droid 2 phones at $199 each or selling just one Droid 2 for $199 and giving the other away for free is exactly the same profit wise. Verizon still pays Motorola for 2 phones in either scenario. To the service providers, phones are essentially loss leaders intended to get people to buy the big ticket item, the service contract. Just like CDs and DVDs have been used by retailers to lure people in hoping to upsell them to other more expensive merchandise. Maybe some day, you and others here will finally understand that concept.

Sounds like you're missing the concept. The point is that the Android OS is leading Apples iOS which has nothing to do with profit for the phone makers. BOGO deals for Android automatically double the number of OS users. Besides, shouldn't it tell you something when companies feel that they have to do BOGO deals for Android phones? They could do the same for the iPhone if they wanted but they never have to.
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Because we are all afraid that what happened between Apple and Microsoft will happen all over again with the iPhone. Apple started off with a good market share, ended up with almost nothing.

Why would there be anything to fear?

Apple has been doing beautifully with Macs for years now. Apple leads the computer segment in profit, innovation, design, you name it. Macs are the envy of the industry. I'm not sure why even market share matters. Some share is necessary in order to keep the brand going, but the real indicators of success are profit and consumer satisfaction. Steve Jobs was absolutely right to restrict licensing of OS X. A vertical business model is superior. Nothing compares to the quality and cohesiveness of ecosystem when you control the whole widget. That's exactly why Apple can actually differentiate themselves.

Most Premium products command a small market share.

Large market share indicates one of two things: it's either truly a great product, or it's really just knock-off junk that's there to disrupt and over-saturate the market. And last I checked, Google Advertising Co. ain't no Apple.

Dell commands a hefty share as well. But look at them today. The running joke of the industry.
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by iedsri View Post

Can I digress just a little from the "Android sucks! / iOS is being treated unfairly!" discussion?

My problem with this story is that it completely contradicts several reports (including some on Apple Insider) from just a week or so ago, to the effect that Android's gains were slowing significantly and that its sales were "leveling off."

We now know that those reports were just Apple fans' wishful thinking and self-delusion.

I know it's not important, by the way, and that Apple's profit margin is really the final yardstick. But it bothers me when the Apple journalists over-stress positive stories about Apple's performance and re-interpret tentative data as indicative of Apple success just because it makes them (and us) feel better. The problem is that then when glaring evidence to the contrary comes out (like the current story) those journalists' credibility is jeopardized.

The more people that get Android phones, the less growth to be had. That's not wishful thinking. That's just the normal business cycle. Companies aren't going to grow at 600% forever. We would naturally expect Android to outpace iOS as it is the closest competitor in terms of mindshare and features and it's available for use for free. Developers haven't embraced it as much because the Android crowd wants something for nothing. Developers don't want to spend time on apps that won't help them pay their bills or compensate them better than an iOS app will. Giving Android phones away is like MSFT giving away IE and we saw how terribly that turned out for the end user and the developer.
post #51 of 99
Josh,
you should know better! Just try to generate some web traffic so you can get on Google top list? Sham on you.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20
post #52 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Developers haven't embraced it as much because the Android crowd wants something for nothing. Developers don't want to spend time on apps that won't help them pay their bills or compensate them better than an iOS app will. Giving Android phones away is like MSFT giving away IE and we saw how terribly that turned out for the end user and the developer.

This.

So much for "open" when you get a lousy user experience in return - and one that doesn't make anyone any money to boot.

So what does Google focus on? Not user experience. Not a rich, vibrant ecosystem.

Ads. It's all about ads. Google's entire mobile strategy revolves around ads. It has nothing to do with creating the best possible experience for the user.

But make enough of em, price them cheaply enough, implement a touch-screen and give away the OS away for free to any taker to do with as they wish, and you've got explosive growth.
post #53 of 99
I wonder how ios compares to android if you count ipad and ipod touch
post #54 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

...unless Google offers to indemnify them.

I'm sure - NOT! Google is not likely to do the right thing for their "clients". It opens them up to a potential HUGE liability. I would (more) expect to see them change their business model - possibly license Java for a small fee (from Oracle) and then pass that fee on - the handroid Phony makers don't have to pay anything now I believe - I suspect they would be willing to pay a small fee to continue their sales. Boy that would cut their profits even thinner though - but not for Google, only the client!
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So what does Google focus on? Not user experience. Not a rich, vibrant ecosystem.

Ads. It's all about ads. Google's entire mobile strategy revolves around ads. It has nothing to do with creating the best possible experience for the user.

Agreed! Do no evil - my ass!
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

No one gives away an iPhone for free. Every single iPhone you see was paid for by a consumer at some point. You can get Android in a BOGO deal any day of the week. Like others have said, the only reason they have a lead is because it's essentially 4 iPhones versus hundreds of Android phones. It's really remarkable for Apple to have the numbers that they do.

In the USA, for which these numbers are presented, everybody pays something up front to own an iPhone. So, for the sake of comparison within the US market, which is what this thread is discussing, I guess you're correct. (But the amount of subsidy off the full retail price -- especially nowadays for the 3GS -- is so significant that sometimes they may as well be free...)

But, the same is not true world-wide. For example, you can get a new iPhone (either 3GS or 4) from O2 or Orange in the UK for £0.00 up-front, provided you sign up for a lucrative-enough contract. Exactly the same sort of deal as you'd get for any of those so-called "free" Android phones.
post #57 of 99
you guys constantly point to iphone sales number as proof its the best phone you can buy, but when it's shown that some other option is doing well, you make one excuse after another for why it sucks
post #58 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

But what really will be interesting is if Nokia announces an alliance with Microsoft on Friday. That would really shake things up for everyone.

Oh, yes ... I'm sure that will shake things up!
post #59 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

you guys constantly point to iphone sales number as proof its the best phone you can buy, but when it's shown that some other option is doing well, you make one excuse after another for why it sucks

Uh yeah. Because without understanding the *reason* behind the numbers you're only partially informed.

There is a lot of junk out there. Cheap, low-quality netbooks absolutely flooded the market and pumped up the also rans' share numbers.

Case in point: Compare Dell or Acer market share to Mac market share. Which product would YOU rather have?

See what I mean?


Quote:
Originally Posted by blilly View Post

Oh, yes ... I'm sure that will shake things up!

Th blind leading the blind.
post #60 of 99
Fact: Nobody (not even Google) sells mobile OSs, they sell handsets.

Fact: Apple is number 2 in handset sales behind Nokia (non-Android).
post #61 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android4ever View Post


Ok..just one argument.

You say that verizon will help you? Let me tell you something my friends. iPhone is sold ALL OVER THE WORLD on MULTIPLE CARRIERS. They are STILL getting their butts handed to them by Android...WORLDWIDE!.

Just wanted to make sure we were clear. So why do you have this silly idea tha somehow you will be helped when iphone is on multiple carriers..let me tell you something..aint gonna hppen.

I'm not clear at all.

Just curious, but how can an operating system (in this case Android) be classified as hardware, and more importantly, how can a free operating system be classified as sold? Or is this just in your world?
post #62 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So what does Google focus on? Not user experience. Not a rich, vibrant ecosystem.

That's your biased, anything that isn't Apple sucks, and quite frankly BS opinion.

Google Maps is still the best and easiest to use online mapping sites. It provides an excellent user experience. I cringe whenever someone tells me to look up an address on MapQuest with it's antiquated, hard-to-read maps. Google Earth is a very cool, very slick mapping program. And it happens to have a vibrant, thriving ecosystem of map data sets, 3d building models, etc.

I gave up using Apple's crappy Mail.app and just leave a tab open to my Gmail account at home. It's by far a much less frustrating user experience than Mail was. Especially when I don't have to have 3 apps sitting open (Mail, iCal, and Address Book) to accomplish the same thing one browser tab pointing to Gmail can do.

Google's search engine is still the best out there. It's still the best at providing relevant results for your search. And still as drop dead easy to use now as it was when it first started.

Google Health is really cool way to have access to your medical history and test results. I just wish more of my health care providers made use of it.

Google makes cool stuff. They're willing to go out on limbs that Apple won't bother to touch (would Apple ever conceived of doing Street View for maps?). And they have a sense of humor and fun that seems sorely lacking from Apple (they're annual April Fool's joke, Google Moon that used to show the surface as cheese if you zoomed in far enough).

Anecdotally, there are at least 4 Android phone users in my family, none the same phone model, ranging from middle school aged to 40 something adults. They're all quite happy with their phones and haven't had any issues figuring out how to use them.

And at the same time, the iPhone is a really cool phone. Now that it's coming to Verizon, I just might pick one up (or switch to AT&T since Verizon is apparently disallowing my employee discount on the service plan and dropped the New Every Two $100 credit I was due to receive in two months).

I'm not a blind Apple fan. I'm not a slavish fandroid. I can think for myself. I love cool tech. I love my PS3. I love my TiVo. I loved my iPod Classic (until the hard drive died). I look forward to getting a 3D TV by year's end.

In a few weeks, I'll probably love my new iPhone. But I'll still be keeping my eyes open to what cool things come out of the Google camp
post #63 of 99
Dididit dididit tung.: analysis complete.
This article is not a DED article, it's way too balanced and accurate...
Ah, right

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #64 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Uh yeah. Because without understanding the *reason* behind the numbers you're only partially informed.

There is a lot of junk out there. Cheap, low-quality netbooks absolutely flooded the market and pumped up the also rans' share numbers.

Case in point: Compare Dell or Acer market share to Mac market share. Which product would YOU rather have?

See what I mean?




Th blind leading the blind.

Oh the *reason* behind then numbers lol. I guess an over-hyped brand name is a reason, isn't it? I've met 2 people so far who never even knew my phone existed, and liked it better than their iphone (one was 4, the other a 3gs.)

The point is, it IS possible that Android isn't as bad as you think, that netbooks aren't as low quality as you think, and the people who buy these products are genuinely happy with them.

If you want to point at sales numbers as proof of quality, don't have such a double standard.
post #65 of 99
i am sure apple is upset. "more android handsets sold than iphones? boo hoo, i guess we will just keep crying all the way to our enormous bank account"

attention walmart shoppers: android phones 2 for a dollar on isle 4 (next to the emachines)
post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

That's your biased, anything that isn't Apple sucks, and quite frankly BS opinion.

Google Maps is still the best and easiest to use online mapping sites. It provides an excellent user experience. I cringe whenever someone tells me to look up an address on MapQuest with it's antiquated, hard-to-read maps. Google Earth is a very cool, very slick mapping program. And it happens to have a vibrant, thriving ecosystem of map data sets, 3d building models, etc.

I gave up using Apple's crappy Mail.app and just leave a tab open to my Gmail account at home. It's by far a much less frustrating user experience than Mail was. Especially when I don't have to have 3 apps sitting open (Mail, iCal, and Address Book) to accomplish the same thing one browser tab pointing to Gmail can do.

Google's search engine is still the best out there. It's still the best at providing relevant results for your search. And still as drop dead easy to use now as it was when it first started.

Google Health is really cool way to have access to your medical history and test results. I just wish more of my health care providers made use of it.

Google makes cool stuff. They're willing to go out on limbs that Apple won't bother to touch (would Apple ever conceived of doing Street View for maps?). And they have a sense of humor and fun that seems sorely lacking from Apple (they're annual April Fool's joke, Google Moon that used to show the surface as cheese if you zoomed in far enough).

Anecdotally, there are at least 4 Android phone users in my family, none the same phone model, ranging from middle school aged to 40 something adults. They're all quite happy with their phones and haven't had any issues figuring out how to use them.

And at the same time, the iPhone is a really cool phone. Now that it's coming to Verizon, I just might pick one up (or switch to AT&T since Verizon is apparently disallowing my employee discount on the service plan and dropped the New Every Two $100 credit I was due to receive in two months).

I'm not a blind Apple fan. I'm not a slavish fandroid. I can think for myself. I love cool tech. I love my PS3. I love my TiVo. I loved my iPod Classic (until the hard drive died). I look forward to getting a 3D TV by year's end.

In a few weeks, I'll probably love my new iPhone. But I'll still be keeping my eyes open to what cool things come out of the Google camp

i liked android once 2.2 came out, but, now that i have had it for a good while i am sick of it needing rebooting. it is the windows 95 for the new generation...
post #67 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

That depends. What other OS is out there worth having? Win7 Phone? Palm OS? Symbian? I like Win7, the OS is pretty sweet, but I really don't think it will catch on unless Android goes tit-up.

Their own OS. That was my point. Samsung doesn't want to be using Android, they want Bada to be the #1 smart phone OS. HTC has frequently announced its desire to have its own OS. It's a point of pride for them. Using Windows or Android makes them a "2nd tier" manufacturer (their CEOs words, not mine). Either company could easily fork Android.
post #68 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoodenhead View Post

When the iPhone arrives on all 4 carriers, the only way Android phones can compete is to give them away for free.

Then why doesn't Apple do this. iPhone would rule the U.S. We can't blame Google, I think Google is smart to offer it on all Carriers. I know deep down that Sprint and T-Mobile want the iPhone, heck I want the iPhone on T-Mobile but crossing my fingers that the iPhone 4G/5 with the new chip caters to all carriers. Apple can actually take over the world but.....makes me wonder if its Apple thats stopping themselves.
"Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one, but now you guys are busting down doors in Palo Alto while Commandant Gates is ridding the world of mosquitoes."
Reply
"Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one, but now you guys are busting down doors in Palo Alto while Commandant Gates is ridding the world of mosquitoes."
Reply
post #69 of 99
The Android OS is a lot less open than the android fanboys would like you to believe, as is the iOS a lot more open. The main difference is that the android people are pro-hacker, whereas Apple just tolerates hackers. There is plenty of room in the market for both Android and iOS to be wildly successful. The losers are RIM and Nokia moreso than Apple or Google.

Moreover, Java makes lousy apps. One major bonus of the Apple iOS over Android is that it is not Java-bound. I think it was a huge mistake to make all Android Java dependent when the VAST majority of installs will be ARMv7-A compliant for years to come. ARMs are fast, but not in the ways that can make Java's VM overhead unnoticeable. Particularly, the ARMs in phones have lousy double-precision performance and lack the giant caches or hyper-fast memory buses of modern desktop & laptop CPUs. I spent a long time in 2010 reworking OpenCV, a sloppy C++ library, for a common cell phone CPU -- let me tell you, C++ was bad enough, Java is worse. I was able to improve the runtime speed (of most functions) on the ARM massively (20x), but this required some changes that would not be permitted if the app/lib were Java based.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #70 of 99
Seeing as how it was reported by these same people that 32.9 or 33.1 million android handsets were sold vs. 16 for apple, why shouldn't the marketshare go up?

"OH, but now we have verizon!!!"

So? Now we have perhaps 29mill android vs 19 to 20 apple. Apple's marketshare didn't even move much when the iphone4 came out either, and they sold every one they could, lending that most of their sales went to the original iphone owners or 3G owners, not many new users.

DED likes to mention that in the earnings call "if apple could make more then we could overtake everyone." Perhaps that's true.

What's to say that like Android ios won't just cannibalize RIM more and not android? We'll know in about 2-3 months.
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Or you can get a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V for $139.00 at Radio Shack and then pay $25 a month for unlimited data (well 5GB a full speed and then extra throttled), not to mention unlimited texting and 300 mins of talk time.

The phone is not a bad little phone. The slow CPU is backed up by a dedicated GPU and modem cpu than take the load of the CPU. Add a very vanilla version of Android Froyo and you might still not be convinced. Understandable.

BUT when you download the Quick Settings App, your little phone becomes a wifi hotspot for you lovely iOS devices and Macbooks.

Why am I wasting time writing this? Because I am tired of being AT&T's but monkey! I am transferring my iPhone # to Google Voice and then using the little android phone as a hotspot for my now transformed iPh(POD)one 3GS, iPad and Macbook.

Eat it AT&T!

I understand the AT&T angst (I have it too) but a jailbreak and MyWi and you have the free hotspot on your iPhone and you are not on the much slower and weaker Sprint network (which powers Virgin). I see so many poor reviews of Virgin data service that you might have to eat your words unless you always operate in very strong Sprint 3G signals.
Good luck.
post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Seeing as how it was reported by these same people that 32.9 or 33.1 million android handsets were sold vs. 16 for apple, why shouldn't the marketshare go up?

"OH, but now we have verizon!!!"

So? Now we have perhaps 29mill android vs 19 to 20 apple. Apple's marketshare didn't even move much when the iphone4 came out either, and they sold every one they could, lending that most of their sales went to the original iphone owners or 3G owners, not many new users.

DED likes to mention that in the earnings call "if apple could make more then we could overtake everyone." Perhaps that's true.

What's to say that like Android ios won't just cannibalize RIM more and not android? We'll know in about 2-3 months.

More trouble with math. Apple sold 2x the iPhones and share rose only slightly because that is the speed the market is growing. If you sell 2x the phones, you (by definition) are highly unlikely to only be selling to prior iPhone owners. AT&T have stated that at least 40% of iPhone sales are to new AT&T customers who (again, by definition) are unlikely to have had an iPhone before. iPhone 2G and 3G total sales in 2007/2008/2009 were less that the iP4 launch quarter. Sales only took off with 3GS and still the first 2Q of iP4 sold roughly as many as all the prior iPhones ever sold. This "iPhone isn't growing and only sells to prior owners" is idiotic and trips over the basic math every time.
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastmac View Post

Then why doesn't Apple do this. iPhone would rule the U.S. We can't blame Google, I think Google is smart to offer it on all Carriers. I know deep down that Sprint and T-Mobile want the iPhone, heck I want the iPhone on T-Mobile but crossing my fingers that the iPhone 4G/5 with the new chip caters to all carriers. Apple can actually take over the world but.....makes me wonder if its Apple thats stopping themselves.

Google doesn't offer anything to anyone except a free OS to OEMs. OEMs have all the carrier relationships. Moto/Sammy/SE/RIM etc. make phones available. I'm sure Apple cut Verizon a deal for 6-12 months of exclusivity vs. Sprint (not that it would matter much) in exchange for Verizon's marketing push. T-Mob needs a different radio to work on 3G which may come with iP5 (super-Gobi chip) but it is the carrier deal that matters. Let's face it, if VZ demand is so high after 3.5yrs, Sprint/T-Mob can wait a bit longer and not lose too many converts. The other issue is that those carriers are the "cheapo" carriers. Not sure the cut-rate plans can stand the massive subsidy Apple asks for the iPhone.
post #74 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android4ever View Post

Oh you poor apple fans. I wish I could say I sympathize with you..but I don't. For years you have been touting your superiority over the unwashed masses, yet now, we see your high horse has been chopped down to size and your ivory tower has crumbled.

Normally I would counteract your silly arguments about one vs many and "Verizon will help us beat android!" but not today.

Today I shall laugh in happy contentment at your misery.

Ok..just one argument.

You say that verizon will help you? Let me tell you something my friends. iPhone is sold ALL OVER THE WORLD on MULTIPLE CARRIERS. They are STILL getting their butts handed to them by Android...WORLDWIDE!.

Just wanted to make sure we were clear. So why do you have this silly idea tha somehow you will be helped when iphone is on multiple carriers..let me tell you something..aint gonna hppen.

Oh you poor fandroid. Apple has always been a minority platform in everything except the iPod (and maybe the iPad now). The crushing sense of superiority you have been feeling has never been driven by numbers (just a natural and justified feeling of superiority that comes with the little Apple sticker pack that used to be in every Apple product ;-). Apple was always and will always be behind some commodity platform or other (RIM, Nokia, now Android) and still manages to pwn the high end of the market. It owns the profits, a large part of revenues and is still growing at least as fast as the market.

Add all the EVO/DroidInc/DroidX/GalS phones and they are still far less than iPhone sales alone. Do you not realize that Apple sold 38M iPhones during which time Samsung sold 10M Galaxy phones. HTC's total unit sales (all platforms) is ~half of Apple's iPhone sales. All manufacturers added together have overtaken iPhone unit sales but a very high number of those are cheap/low-end phones or not even Android (look up OMS and Tapas - forked Android, No Google but somehow still in the global numbers). Keep reveling in the fake sales numbers but realize that this is not impacting Apple's growth, revenue or profit. The market is growing like crazy and everyone is primarily competing with dumbphones far more than with each other.
No-one is handing Apple's butt to anyone. But keep that feeling of happy contentment that comes with every Android phone.
post #75 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why is this 'lead' important?

As long as Apple continues to be profitable enough to continue producing industry leading, beautiful products, I don't care if I'm the only guy in my city to have one. That would just make me the smartest guy in my city.
post #76 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

More trouble with math. Apple sold 2x the iPhones and share rose only slightly because that is the speed the market is growing. If you sell 2x the phones, you (by definition) are highly unlikely to only be selling to prior iPhone owners. AT&T have stated that at least 40% of iPhone sales are to new AT&T customers who (again, by definition) are unlikely to have had an iPhone before. iPhone 2G and 3G total sales in 2007/2008/2009 were less that the iP4 launch quarter. Sales only took off with 3GS and still the first 2Q of iP4 sold roughly as many as all the prior iPhones ever sold. This "iPhone isn't growing and only sells to prior owners" is idiotic and trips over the basic math every time.

It was a focus on the qtr that the iphone4 launched, not now. No matter how you look at it, the iphone is doing great.
post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

It was a focus on the qtr that the iphone4 launched, not now. No matter how you look at it, the iphone is doing great.

Tru dat!
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

I'm sure Apple cut Verizon a deal for 6-12 months of exclusivity vs. Sprint (not that it would matter much) in exchange for Verizon's marketing push.

I am not attempting to endorse or disprove anything else you've said. This is just a fact check on this specific point: At the Verizon iPhone announcement, Tim Cook confirmed that the Verizon iPhone deal is non-exclusive.
post #79 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

The fact that Apple doesn't have the largest OS footprint shouldn't upset or surprise anyone. It is used on a "single device" or several versions of a single device, however you want to look at it. That doesn't make it "unfair" to compare OS to OS. It's just a comparison that doesn't favor Apple because of their business strategy.

To do a proper OS to OS comparison, iPod Touch numbers should also be included since they run the same OS as the iPhone. You could even argue that both iOS and Android tablet sales should be included in such a comparison.
post #80 of 99
deleted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Android widens lead on Apple's iPhone in US smartphone market