or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iOS 4.3 has 2X faster JavaScript, AirPlay from iTunes to iPad & iPhone

Apple's iOS 4.3 has 2X faster JavaScript, AirPlay from iTunes to iPad & iPhone

post #1 of 50
Apple on Wednesday showed off new features of iOS 4.3, including two times faster JavaScript performance in Safari, and the ability to wirelessly share and stream content from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iOS device.

With more than 160 million iOS devices worldwide, including over 100 million iPhones, the growth of the iOS platform has been unprecedented, said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. iOS 4.3 adds even more features to the worlds most advanced mobile operating system, across three blockbuster devices -- iPad, iPhone and iPod touch -- providing an ecosystem that offers customers an incredibly rich experience and developers unlimited opportunities.

iOS 4.3 will have the same Nitro JavaScript engine from Mac OS X, bringing performance twice as fast to the Mobile Safari browser on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

Improved iTunes home sharing will also allow users to access all of their content directly over Wi-Fi. And enhancements to AirPlay will allow applications and websites to stream over Wi-Fi to the Apple TV set top box. Sharing of photos over AirPlay can also use the built-in slide show options of iOS.

Apple also showed off a new version of Photo Booth for iPad and iPhone, which allows users to take photos and edit them. A demonstration showed that the software capable of accessing 9 live video streams at once with real-time effects.

"When the mood strikes, turn the camera on yourself, make some faces, and start shooting snapshot-style," Apple's promotional materials read. "Choose from artsy, wacky, and weird effects. Twist up your face, see yourself doubled, or look like you stepped into a comic book. Photo Booth is great for parties or just for kicks. And the fun keeps coming as you keep snapping."

Also shown off was FaceTime functionality with iOS 4.3. The addition of FaceTime will allow users to video chat with others on Apple's range of devices, including Macs, the iPhone 4, and the fourth-generation iPod touch.

"FaceTime on iPad 2 lets you drop in on your favorite people and see how theyre doing. And what theyre doing. And who theyre with," Apple said. "You could be anywhere, they could be anywhere. With a tap, your iPad 2 calls someone elses iPad 2, iPhone 4, new iPod touch, or Mac over Wi-Fi."

post #2 of 50
I guess most of this is only for the iPad since the Verizon iPhone doesn't get this update...
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And enhancements to AirPlay will allow applications and websites to stream over Wi-Fi to the Apple TV set top box. Sharing of photos over AirPlay can also use the built-in slide show options of iOS.

I, for one, would love to hear more details about this. This was the most interesting point in the whole presentation and it was only given one sentence.
post #4 of 50
Did they say when this update would be available?
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Did they say when this update would be available?

Multiple times during the presentation and on their website...

March 11. Same as the iPad 2.
post #6 of 50
Apple's web site says this update is for the iPad 1 & 2, iPod Touch 3 & 4, and iPhone 3GS and 4 (GSM only). It's really odd that the Verizon iPhone 4 is the only current device NOT getting iOS 4.3.

I was really hoping the update would fix the broken FaceTime settings (for those who updated from a Touch 4).
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hopefully the GM build will show up in dev accounts.
post #8 of 50
The Verizon software was just released in January. Verizon iPhones will get these new features soon enough.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Apple's web site says this update is for the iPad 1 & 2, iPod Touch 3 & 4, and iPhone 3GS and 4 (GSM only). It's really odd that the Verizon iPhone 4 is the only current device NOT getting iOS 4.3.

I was really hoping the update would fix the broken FaceTime settings (for those who updated from a Touch 4).

I wouldn't draw any conclusions, it's probably right around the corner. CDMA probably adds additional development and QA overhead on this variant of the OS, and since the last tick was to Verizon, it's not surprising this tock is to AT&T.
post #10 of 50
Quote:

And enhancements to AirPlay will allow applications and websites to stream over Wi-Fi to the Apple TV set top box.

I would have liked to see a demo of this. Does this mean an app can stream content to my TV via the new $99 Apple TV? Or if I can connect to a web site that displays HD video, I can stream that to my TV/AppleTV? And if so, if I buy a subscription to that video (say, to NHL live games) that I can then stream in HD via wifi to my HDTV...do I know have a way to ditch my cable cable TV box that comcast is raping me for?

Likes.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

I wouldn't draw any conclusions, it's probably right around the corner. CDMA probably adds additional development and QA overhead on this variant of the OS, and since the last tick was to Verizon, it's not surprising this tock is to AT&T.

... and the Verizon iPhone already has one of the major features of iOS 4.3, mobile hotspot.
post #12 of 50
Quote:

Apple on Wednesday showed off new features of iOS 4.3, including two times faster JavaScript performance in Safari, and the ability to wirelessly share and stream content from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iOS device.

And oh BTW, about the tethering option in iOS4.3: any sign of pricing from our friends at AT&T? Last I saw it was $20/mo extra on an extended contract. That's a big No Thank You, but if they get it to a reasonable price and on a monthly option change (kind of like the plans for a 3G iPad) it sounds very nice.
post #13 of 50
No mention about any improvements to notifications...
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

And the iPhone 3G is now excluded. It got iOS 4.2 but does not get the Safari speedups of 4.3 (I would not have complained if it had not gotten any of the new features, eg, mobile hotspot, if these require too much processing and battery power).
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

iOS 5, coming in summer/fall. I think it's a pretty great update for a point release.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

iOS SDK events are more for developers than the press, plus the two events would compete with each other. While the iPad 2 event certainly had a lot of fluff, iOS SDK announcements usually last 1-2 hours because of the amount of stuff they talk about demoing to developers.

Plus, it's always nice to have an event where they can talk about how many iPads were sold! My guess is that we'll get an announcement end of March/beginning of April.
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My point was that the AppleInsider article I'm reading didn't mention it.
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I would have liked to see a demo of this. Does this mean an app can stream content to my TV via the new $99 Apple TV? Or if I can connect to a web site that displays HD video, I can stream that to my TV/AppleTV? And if so, if I buy a subscription to that video (say, to NHL live games) that I can then stream in HD via wifi to my HDTV...do I know have a way to ditch my cable cable TV box that comcast is raping me for?

Likes.

I theory, yes, it will allow thing like MLB.tv and NHL.com to stream to an Apple TV, but I assume the maker of the app has to decide to put it in there so it's not a guarantee that it'll work.
post #19 of 50
I'm not to knowledgeable on how a "mobile hotspot" works.

Will this cost additional money from if I want to use my iPhone4 for as a mobile hotspot for my ipad?

I have the original unlimited iphone plan from at&t.
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_child View Post

I'm not to knowledgeable on how a "mobile hotspot" works.

Will this cost additional money from if I want to use my iPhone4 for as a mobile hotspot for my ipad?

I have the original unlimited iphone plan from at&t.

Yes you will need a tethering plan from your carrier - AT&T does not let you have a tethering plan with unlimited data.
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Yes you will need a tethering plan from your carrier - AT&T does not let you have a tethering plan with unlimited data.

he could always jailbreak it and get it for free
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

he could always jailbreak it and get it for free

Yes, but that violates your legally binding contract with AT&T - something I will not endorse at all.
post #23 of 50
Quote:

Yes, but that violates your legally binding contract with AT&T - something I will not endorse at all.

lol u follow the rules? what a nerd
jk
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hopefully the GM build will show up in dev accounts.

You can't wait nine days? Come on.

Quote:

That contract is full of more holes than matter on the atomic level.
post #25 of 50
I love a lot of the features that iOS4.2 offers for my iPhone and AppleTV2, but there is one feature that I would love to see, or rather hear. It would great to have the AppleTV have an option to stream the sound to the iPhone so I could watch a movie in the bedroom on the ATV2, but listen to the audio on my earphones on my iPhone. This would allow me to watch my programs without disturbing my better-half that is asleep next to me. The iPhone would act as a wireless headphone receiver and a remote for the ATV2.
post #26 of 50
I'm disappointed with 4.3. Why no personal hotspots for 3GS? I mean, the still sell the phone, so it's obviously not obsolete.
I refuse to believe it has something to do with performance.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I'm disappointed with 4.3. Why no personal hotspots for 3GS? I mean, the still sell the phone, so it's obviously not obsolete.

ETA: Apparently I was wrong... Must be hardware limitations of the Wireless chipset of the 3Gs. It has to be something since you can tether via bluetooth and USB with the 3GS.
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

mmmm... that is a bummer, I missed that. Maybe technical or perhaps a good way to sell iPhone 4s?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

They will probably unify everything at iOS 5
post #30 of 50
No mention of the 4 finger gestures that were being trialled in the developer builds. I wonder if this means they're out for the GM, or simply not being promoted?

I'll be sad if they are gone, as I've got very used to "full hand pinching" the screen to return home, and full fingered pulling up the widget bar to move between apps.
post #31 of 50
Home sharing for iOS was long overdue.

Too bad iOS 5 wasn't shown though. Honeycomb is streets ahead of iOS now so Apple really should have teased some features if nothing else.
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

...... Honeycomb is streets ahead of iOS now so Apple really should have teased some features if nothing else.

How so?
post #33 of 50
Quote:

Home sharing for iOS was long overdue.

Big time. For playing up the idevice audio/video ecosystem this should have been here long ago.

Quote:

Too bad iOS 5 wasn't shown though. Honeycomb is streets ahead of iOS now so Apple really should have teased some features if nothing else.

I'm not sure I would say its far ahead if any, but showcasing new features this early could also allow other mobile OSes to implement and steal the thunder from some new super sexy feature we all didn't know we needed yet.
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

Big time. For playing up the idevice audio/video ecosystem this should have been here long ago.

That's difficult to say. Perhaps Apple has just now gotten it working in a satisfactory way.

Quote:

Exactly how do you qualify this?

Especially seeing as their is no shipping tablet using Honeycomb yet.
post #35 of 50
How about some features everyone would use? Like Voice Dial (!) and system wide speech to text.... Android has both and they are superb features....
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

How about some features everyone would use? Like Voice Dial (!) and system wide speech to text.... Android has both and they are superb features....

How about some decent file management? Getting docs in and out of the iPad is horrible. That's what I'm waiting to see in the next version.
post #37 of 50
It would be nice if AirPrint was opened up to other printers besides HP. Any word on that. The press release just mentions it as an existing feature of iOS 4.3
the rev
the rev
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

No mention of the 4 finger gestures that were being trialled in the developer builds.

The 'mention' during the beta was that they weren't ever going to be included in 4.3 final.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

You must be joking! Those are hardly features that put andriod "streets ahead". it shows you have a total lack of understanding about what the iOS platform is and does, and the functionality that is actually available on iOS devices. Those are minor features to the overwhelming majority of people, and in fact, are just that "features", not a platform/ecosystem. Further, apple will, at some point in time, have similar expanded features as those when the time is right based on performance, and ease of use and implementation. Also, the iphone absolutely has voice dial to access all your contacts, and speech to text is available in many incredible apps, including googles own apps available on iOS devices. So before you make such ridiculous comments, you really should have a thorough understanding of what you are talking about.
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You must be joking! Those are hardly features that put andriod "streets ahead". it shows you have a total lack of understanding about what the iOS platform is and does, and the functionality that is actually available on iOS devices. Those are minor features to the overwhelming majority of people, and in fact, are just that "features", not a platform/ecosystem. Further, apple will, at some point in time, have similar expanded features as those when the time is right based on performance, and ease of use and implementation. Also, the iphone absolutely has voice dial to access all your contacts, and speech to text is available in many incredible apps, including googles own apps available on iOS devices. So before you make such ridiculous comments, you really should have a thorough understanding of what you are talking about.

I stand corrected on the voice dial. On system wide speech to text,my droid had it and I loved it. Sending text messages and emails with built in speech to text is the one feature I miss most. No having to use the nuance app and then cut and paste. Love most everything else about my iPhone though. By the way this is my third iOS device,pilgrim.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iOS 4.3 has 2X faster JavaScript, AirPlay from iTunes to iPad & iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iOS 4.3 has 2X faster JavaScript, AirPlay from iTunes to iPad & iPhone