or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Unexpectedly

Unexpectedly - Page 2

post #41 of 235
Because it doesn't fucking work. Our system is so broken and the advantage is so far on the side of the corporations, there's no fucking chance in hell for the overwhelming majority to consistently get a fair deal.

Now, bring about universal healthcare provided by the government and suddenly the corporate burden is lessened tremendously--so much so that mandatory minimum 6 week vacations would not destroy the bottom line. It's all interconnected. And it's working elsewhere.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #42 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Because it doesn't fucking work. Our system is so broken and the advantage is so far on the side of the corporations, there's no fucking chance in hell for the overwhelming majority to consistently get a fair deal.

Says you. I see tons of people every day who have voluntarily entered into employment agreements that cover all those things.

Surely you're not trying to foist your own moral values onto others are you?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #43 of 235
I'm guessing this is unexpected too.

I wonder who Obama will blame this on. Blaming the previous administration is pretty common for most presidents. But after 28 months, that's a little harder to do.

post #44 of 235
Quote:

You might, but the facts don't.

From the CBO report on the stimulus last year. The corporate and wealthy tax breaks are the LEAST effective forms of economic stimulus.

And the CBO has been right....when? You know that's wrong. It was proved so 3 times in 50 years. I can't believe we're actually having this conversation again.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #45 of 235
Quote:

What is a "fair deal?"

Quote:

Now, bring about universal healthcare provided by the government and suddenly the corporate burden is lessened tremendously--so much so that mandatory minimum 6 week vacations would not destroy the bottom line. It's all interconnected. And it's working elsewhere.

That is some funny shit.
post #46 of 235
This seems to be the most appropriate thread to post this in although it talks about an "unexpectedness" of a different sort. In the trade they call this "regime uncertainty".

"Economic Stagnation Explained, at 30,000 Feet"

post #47 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

LOL. RTFA.

One geographical area in that article? Ignoramus.

And yes. Federal Taxes were cut in every one of the eight or so states referenced in the article to the lowest level they've been since 1950. So what's your next excuse?

Jesus. You're analyzing targeted areas and then making a broader judgement. You cannot be serious.
post #48 of 235
Quote:

You might, but the facts don't.

From the CBO report on the stimulus last year. The corporate and wealthy tax breaks are the LEAST effective forms of economic stimulus.

Those are not facts. Those are predicted multiplier effects of various government actions related to their costs. The predictions have proven to be completely wrong. Thus they are the antithesis of facts. Per that chart we should have over $2 trillion in new economic activity which lowered and should have the unemployment rate well down to about 7.5% and falling. We've had nothing like that. That is what the other thread and this one are about, how credible someone can be citing "facts" that do not match reality. When someone holds up a chart where the unemployment rate should have topped out at 8% and should be well below that by now heading down to full employment and we don't have that, how credible are they. When every news source buys the estimates and thus reports the news not in terms of reality, but with the expectations as the source of factual information and thus reality departing from those predictions is "unexpected" then something needs to change.

False predictions are not facts. You not only fail to see the problem but personify it.

Quote:

Yes, some Germany-style minimum vacation mandates would be the ultimate goal. There is more to life than work. They understand that.

We are going to see exactly what Europe understands when Germany is asked to forgo their vacations to pay for the debts of Greece, Italy, Spain and others. We will see if they keep the unified Euro or let it die.

Quote:

Have you seriously looked at Europe?!? Our system is damaged and underperforming but their system is truly broken. You have a two tier society where the youth unemployment rate is up to 40% and most of them are sitting at home on minimal payments, often in ethnic enclaves where they are treated as total second class citizens. Meanwhile, much like the boomers here, the post WWII generation has isolated themselves, created the upper tier on which they reside and wonder why the bond ratings keep slipping as they try to fool the world.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #49 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Have you seriously looked at Europe?!? Our system is damaged and underperforming but their system is truly broken. You have a two tier society where the youth unemployment rate is up to 40% and most of them are sitting at home on minimal payments, often in ethnic enclaves where they are treated as total second class citizens. Meanwhile, much like the boomers here, the post WWII generation has isolated themselves, created the upper tier on which they reside and wonder why the bond ratings keep slipping as they try to fool the world.

Obama has been pushing youth unemployment in the US higher. I wonder how they'll fill their time?
post #50 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Obama has been pushing youth unemployment in the US higher. I wonder how they'll fill their time?

AmeriCorps?

post #51 of 235
On this episode of Fairytale Theater: Unemployment unexpectedly rises to 9.1% in may - only 54,000 jobs added.

Thus far, the stimulus only seems to have had the effect of growing government.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #52 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

On this episode of Fairytale Theater: Unemployment unexpectedly rises to 9.1% in may - only 54,000 jobs added.

Thus far, the stimulus only seems to have had the effect of growing government.

I wonder if anyone has updated the Obama Wishful Thinking About Employment chart they produced almost 2.5 years ago with this latest?

EDIT: Here's the latest I can find. Doesn't have today's figures yet.

And another:

post #53 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I wonder if anyone has updated the Obama Wishful Thinking About Employment chart they produced almost 2.5 years ago with this latest?

EDIT: Here's the latest I can find. Doesn't have today's figures yet.

And another:

Obama's failure is now complete. It's tragic for the millions of affected people, but the first step to recovery is identifying the problem. The stimulus was an unmitigated failure, as are the Administration's anti-business and anti-free market policies. This is the result of passing a trillion dollar slush fund bill, bashing corporations and playing the class warfare game in the middle of a deep recession. There is no intellectually honest person who can now defend Obama's actions. He is unquestionably a failed President of grand proportions.
post #54 of 235
Denmark unexpectedly back in recession

Quote:
The Danish economy surprised analysts by contracting by 0.5 per cent in the first quarter, after a drop of 0.2 per cent in the final three months of 2010. Economists had forecast an increase of 0.5 per cent.

Quote:
The return to recession is in stark contrast to other Scandinavian countries that are experiencing strong growth. Denmark joins Portugal, whose economy contracted by 0.9 per cent in the first quarter, as the only other European economy in recession.

post #55 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Obama's failure is now complete. ...

Not until 2012.

Edit: January 20, 2013.
A is A
A is A
post #56 of 235

post #57 of 235
Fed Sees Recovery Lagging: Bernanke Says Growth Slower Than Expected

Quote:
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke offered a relatively glum view of the U.S. economy, acknowledging that it is growing more slowly than the Fed had expected, but predicted improvement later this year.

Translation: The smartest guys in the room predicted a sustainable expansion but were wrong. Don't worry though, the same guys predict things are going to get better. Just like they've been predicting. Got it? Good.

Quote:
The Fed chief's downbeat outlook wasn't good news for businesses and workers across America. Slower economic growth could chill companies' plans to expand and hire.

You think?

Quote:
Slow growth is troubling in this environment because it doesn't generate many new jobs.

This is significant because at least 4 private sector jobs are required to support one public sector job.

Quote:
Though growth is slow, inflation is up -

Stagflation. It's 1977 all over again!

Quote:
...the Fed expects inflation to moderate.

Great! Never mind, everything's OK!
A is A
A is A
post #58 of 235
I'm reminded of the MAD TV skit "Lowered Expectations".

post #59 of 235
Can't find the Obamacare thread but here's another unexpected result:

Many Employers May Drop Health Coverage After Overhaul

Quote:
Previous research has suggested the number of employers who opt to drop coverage altogether in 2014 would be minimal.

Quote:
In surveying 1,300 employers earlier this year, McKinsey found that 30% said they would "definitely or probably" stop offering employer coverage in the years after 2014.

Only 30%, well that's not so bad, is it?

Quote:
That figure increased to more than 50% among employers with a high awareness of the overhaul law.

Oh.

If you like your health insurance, you can keep it - BO, August 11, 2009

Copy that page before the WH takes it down, like they did with the BO "tax cut" calculator

A is A
A is A
post #60 of 235
No, You Can't Keep Your Health Insurance

Quote:
Before the health law passed, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that only nine million to 10 million people, or about 7% of employees who currently get health insurance at work, would switch to government-subsidized insurance.

We just love the CBO.

Quote:
Many employees who will need to seek another source of coverage will take advantage of the health-insurance subsidies for families making as much as $88,000 a year. This will drive up the cost of ObamaCare.

Already estimated to cost over $2 Trillion

Quote:
...the health overhaul law will lead to a "radical restructuring" of job-based health coverage. ... "something in the range of 80 million to 100 million individuals are going to change coverage categories in the two years" after the insurance mandates take effect in 2014.

I'm sure things will be sooo much better.

Quote:
In a study last year, Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a former director of the Congressional Budget Office, estimated that an additional 35 million workers would be moved out of employer plans and into subsidized coverage, and that this would add about $1 trillion to the total cost of the president's health law over the next decade. McKinsey's survey implies that the cost to taxpayers could be significantly more.

Add a trillion.. to two trillion, is that right? A trillion here, a trillion there...

When an estimated cost to taxpayers is characterized as "significant", pay attention.

Quote:
The case for repeal of ObamaCare grows stronger every year.
A is A
A is A
post #61 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

No, You Can't Keep Your Health Insurance

We just love the CBO.

Already estimated to cost over $2 Trillion

I'm sure things will be sooo much better.

Add a trillion.. to two trillion, is that right? A trillion here, a trillion there...

When an estimated cost to taxpayers is characterized as "significant", pay attention.

It may not matter. It's quite possible the law is going to be deemed unconstitutional. Interestingly enough, if Judge Vinson's ruling is upheld, the entire law...not just the individual mandate...would be unconstitutional (presuming the U.S. Court of Appeals and USSC uphold). This is because the law lacks a separability clause. 2,000 pages (or whatever) and no separability clause? Jeez...I had one of those in the contract for my wedding reception. I guess it's "unexpected" in a bill that helps the government take over 1/6th of the economy.
post #62 of 235
Quote:

Can't find the Obamacare thread but here's another unexpected result:

Many Employers May Drop Health Coverage After Overhaul

While this might be unexpected for the average American, I think this was part of the plan all along. They want single-payer. This is the Holy Grail for our leftist friends. But they couldn't get it passed. OK. No problem. Let's just create a system where the so-called "penalties" to a company for not offering the right health insurance plan are lower than their current cost of offering their plans...then let gravity do its work.

I'm absolutely certain that this was part of the grand plan.

It's sorts like incandescent bulbs not really being banned (technically they will not be)...but creating a legislative structure that virtually eliminates any possibility of them.

It's a clever trick actually.

post #63 of 235
The State perpetuates itself by convincing the people it must infringe upon their rights in order to fix a perceived problem whilst in reality it compounds the problem. It can then claim further action is needed - that further rights must be given up in order to fix the problems it created in the first place.

post #64 of 235
And then there's this:

America's own 'Lost Decade'

And we'll have achieved this 'lost decade' the same way the Japanese did. Basically through Keynesian economic policy.

post #65 of 235
More like America's lost several decades. Thanks, trickle down bullshit voodoo economics.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #66 of 235
Reported.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #67 of 235
Quote:

Reported.

For what?

post #68 of 235
S&P Losing Streak Is Longest in Two Years: Economic Fears Push Index to Lengthiest Stretch Since Depths of Finance Crisis

Quote:
"Investors are asking if this is just a slowdown or the start of the next recession," said Gary Flam, a portfolio manager at Los Angeles-based Bel Air Investment Advisors.

You mean, the last recession ended? Oh that's right, back in June 2009. Riiight.

Quote:
Mortgage insurers fell after MGIC Investment reported more new delinquencies in May than in the prior month and fewer delinquencies made current. ...

Thank you mortgage bailouts.

Quote:
Ciena slumped 3.92, or 16%, to 20.29, after the networking-equipment company reported a wider-than-expected fiscal second-quarter loss.

Guess they were listening to Geithner and his ilk

Quote:
Visa dropped 3.11, or 3.9%, to 76.71, and MasterCard fell 4.20, or 1.5%, to 270, after the U.S. Senate defeated a plan to postpone new federal debit-card regulations, a blow to the industry.

Just what we need: more banking regulation!

Quote:

BR, why don't you go away and come back when you know what the fuck you're talking about.

Don't hold your breath.
A is A
A is A
post #69 of 235
Quote:

Don't hold your breath.

I'm not. But he tattled to the teacher on me so I might get a time-out or a spanking.

Well, I got a minor spanking.

post #70 of 235
Quote:

For what?

I think he reported his own sig.

post #71 of 235
BR can tell me to f--- off, but you can't say he doesn't know what he's talking about, MJ1970. That's just rude.

post #72 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

BR can tell me to f--- off, but you can't say he doesn't know what he's talking about, MJ1970. That's just rude.

I was actually a little surprised when I saw that because I thought I recall someone getting cited once or even banned (at least temporarily) for telling someone to fuck off.

post #73 of 235
Quote:

More like America's lost several decades. Thanks, trickle down bullsh*t voodoo economics.

I hate to tell you, but trickle-down works.
post #74 of 235

post #75 of 235

post #76 of 235
Quote:

New jobless claims unexpectedly rise

Curses! You beat me to posting the new stuff. The word practically shows up in blood red now when reading it because it is such an incredibly stupid attempt to slant the financial news.

post #77 of 235
Quote:

so does

A is A
A is A
post #78 of 235

post #79 of 235
Quote:

For 1% of the population.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #80 of 235
Quote:

For 1% of the population.

Incorrect.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Unexpectedly