or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Apple's iOS 5 allows for PC Free setup over iCloud and new custom keyboard shortcuts. AppleInsider offers a first look at the developer build of iOS 5.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs and fellow executives unveiled iOS 5, the next major update to iOS, on Monday at the Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco. The software update includes 200 new features, such as an updated Notification Center and a new messaging service exclusively for iOS users..

"Perhaps iOS 5s paramount feature is that its built to seamlessly work with iCloud in the Post PC revolution that Apple is leading," Jobs said during the WWDC keynote.

People familiar with the matter report that the PC Free setup feature has been enabled in the beta version of iOS 5. Apple now provides three ways to set up an iPhone: Set Up as new iPhone, Restore from iCloud Backup, Restore from iTunes.



Customers without a valid Apple ID can register for a free email address from iCloud. Apple's free iCloud service will support daily backups over Wi-Fi. Users can simply plugin their devices to a wall charger and the a backup will be initiated. iCloud offers 5GB of free storage for mail documents and backup, which doesn't count music, apps, books purchased from Apple.



Restoring from an iCloud backup is as easy as connecting the device to Wi-Fi and entering an Apple ID and password. According to Apple, "your personal data -- along with your purchased music, apps, and books from iTunes -- will appear on your devices. As if they'd always been there."



A new Reminders app has been added to iOS 5, as well as a Newsstand app for managing newspaper and magazine subscriptions. Apple also appears to have separated the iPod function into Music and Videos sections.



iOS 5 now offers custom keyboard shortcuts that can be added under Keyboard settings. Apple has also added support for a split screen keyboard.





Developers report that iMessage does not appear to be fully finished, though a FaceTime button has been added to the top of a message view. As previously reported, Apple has added system-level integration with Twitter. According to reports, Tweets can be sent from Apple's native apps, websites in Safari and photos in the Camera app via the sharing pane.
post #2 of 62
new on/off sliders look snappier.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #3 of 62
So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. Obviously I want to keep using my current MobileMe e-mail address, but I'm assuming that iCloud will be working with my AppleID, which I use to log into the app store, etc. When you set up an iPhone with iOS 5 for the first time, do you have the option to enter your Apple ID for use with iCloud as well as your current MobileMe e-mail address? Am I missing something here?
post #4 of 62
The new iCloud stuff is the final piece to the puzzle. No more PC dependency!

Also, it looks like unlike iBooks. Newsstand is an aggregator of all your subscriptions and a way to quickly see all apps with subscriptions in one place - nice! Even better background downloads of new content.

Along with WiFi sync to iTunes - I'm a happy camper! Other than free tethering (carrier issue, not Apple's) everything I wanted and more has been addressed with iCloud or iOS 5. I can't wait!
post #5 of 62
I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them. What happens then with iCloud? It seems that it makes everything more personal/individual rather than being able to share stuff? All the syncing and stuff too...
post #6 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post

Am I missing something here?

We all are - mainly the full migration details that are "coming later". I have MobileMe too - if you look at the iCloud info on Apple's web site, it mentions "Migrating" your mobile.me or mac.com email address to iCloud so there is apparently some sort of account reconciliation feature for just the scenario you find yourself in.

I guess time will tell...
post #7 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them. What happens then with iCloud? It seems that it makes everything more personal/individual rather than being able to share stuff? All the syncing and stuff too...

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?
post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

We all are - mainly the full migration details that are "coming later". I have MobileMe too - if you look at the iCloud info on Apple's web site, it mentions "Migrating" your mobile.me or mac.com email address to iCloud so there is apparently some sort of account reconciliation feature for just the scenario you find yourself in.

I guess time will tell...

I was hoping that someone with access to the beta could answer this since they ought to be able to access it now. What do they do when they set up their device with iOS 5?

EDIT:
Perhaps I answered my own question. I found this line in Apple's e-mail to MobileMe member:

When you sign up for iCloud, you’ll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

I'm assuming that you sign up for iCloud the first time you use iOS5, so maybe that takes care of it. If you've got access to the beta, could you confirm this?
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

I was thinking the same thing - the obvious intent of the iTunes accounts is for me and my wife and 18month old to have different accounts (lets ignore the 18 month old and let her use ours?). Then if I buy apps they'll be on my iPhone, my wife's will be on her iPhone, our me@me.com emails will be separate, different calendars and contacts, and our own safari bookmarks.

The first problem of course is that I don't want to buy my daughter 2 sets of the same apps, depending on whether she's on my iPhone or her mum's. The second problem is that we share the iPad and Apple doesn't have a facility to switch user IDs, so it has to be mine or hers.

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac. Then too when we use our iPhone to remote control the AppleTV it'll only recognise the iPhone with the same AppleID. We also want "find my iPhone" to find all 3 devices.

So there's a problem. We really have to merge IDs to some degree. It'll be interesting to work out what that degree is, in terms of what will actually work and in terms of what's legal. It isn't at all clear.
post #10 of 62
So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies? That's ridiculous. Oh, and my two kids each have an iPod touch. I should probably have to buy each of them a copy of whatever digital media we all watch. Four copies of a movie or album. Everyone buys a separate CD or DVD for each member of their household.

As much as the music and movie people would love it, I don't think that's what Apple has in mind. I'd be surprised if their weren't some sort of filters when the whole thing goes live.
post #11 of 62
A family ID grouping several Apple ID would be a solution.
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtar View Post

So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies? That's ridiculous. Oh, and my two kids each have an iPod touch. I should probably have to buy each of them a copy of whatever digital media we all watch. Four copies of a movie or album. Everyone buys a separate CD or DVD for each member of their household.

As much as the music and movie people would love it, I don't think that's what Apple has in mind. I'd be surprised if their weren't some sort of filters when the whole thing goes live.

It would appear that, as long as you continue to share the same ase ID within a family group, you will also be able to share media as well. Apple appear to be moving in the direction of treating multiple devices owned by one owner or family as a family set. Consequently, one price creates a universal family license ... To wit, you pay $30 for Lion and can update all your Macs, samevas with apps on iOS and OSX.
post #13 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtar View Post

So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies?

I agree it would be foolish to buy our music twice. But I'm not sure the music distributors wouldn't have tried for that in their license. That may explain the strange situation at present - you really do need a separate AppleID for your own calendars etc, but the same ID for using the AppleTV.

Of course if the music distributors recognised that EVEN IF the original way records were 'officially' theoretically used does match a much more tightly controlled system, they never were that controlled, and unreasonable demands leads to piracy.

Perhaps they intend you to share your music with the other AppleID account, but I wonder whether that music would upload in the new iCloud?
post #14 of 62
Well since an iOS device can have multiple Apple ID's associated with it, in a family setting you could have all devices use the same account for purchased items and a separate Apple ID for each device for syncing the other stuff like mail, contacts, etc...
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfang View Post

Well since an iOS device can have multiple Apple ID's associated with it, in a family setting you could have all devices use the same account for purchased items and a separate Apple ID for each device for syncing the other stuff like mail, contacts, etc...

Doesn't that just circle back to "that's how we do it now"?

Whereas the concern is the use of iTunes Cloud in conjunction with the document Cloud etc, and whether that's a problem?
post #16 of 62
Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.
post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.

the weather icon also doesn't update. unless you install a jailbreak app that changes it. and yes, both of these would have been 'nice to have' tweaks i guess. (especially given the amount of other stuff they have "borrowed" from the jailbreak community.

physical shutter release for the win!
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

the weather icon also doesn't update.

My mistake, I should have said calender icon updates.
post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post

So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. Obviously I want to keep using my current MobileMe e-mail address, but I'm assuming that iCloud will be working with my AppleID, which I use to log into the app store, etc. When you set up an iPhone with iOS 5 for the first time, do you have the option to enter your Apple ID for use with iCloud as well as your current MobileMe e-mail address? Am I missing something here?

At present it notifies you that your MobileMe account has not been migrated over to iCloud. You can still use MobileMe as normal though.
post #20 of 62
[QUOTE=slevit1;1877112]So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. You'll be fine, Apple said they'll help us migrate over to iCloud later in the year. My ID and me differ too. You'll be fine.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The new iCloud stuff is the final piece to the puzzle. No more PC dependency!!

Did they add photo upload in Safari mobile?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them.

Thst was your first mistake. I'm sure App Store must offer (brief) signin change ability.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

new on/off sliders look snappier.

Lolz!


[QUOTE=Ireland;1877205]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post

So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. You'll be fine, Apple said they'll help us migrate over to iCloud later in the year. My ID and me differ too. You'll be fine.

Same here, shouldn't be a problem.

Btw, at last on 5 you can delete an individual call from history, you had yo jb for that, imagine...
post #24 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtar View Post

So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies? That's ridiculous. Oh, and my two kids each have an iPod touch. I should probably have to buy each of them a copy of whatever digital media we all watch. Four copies of a movie or album. Everyone buys a separate CD or DVD for each member of their household.

As much as the music and movie people would love it, I don't think that's what Apple has in mind. I'd be surprised if their weren't some sort of filters when the whole thing goes live.

You can still sync with a cable. You'll survive.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I was thinking the same thing - the obvious intent of the iTunes accounts is for me and my wife and 18month old to have different accounts (lets ignore the 18 month old and let her use ours?). Then if I buy apps they'll be on my iPhone, my wife's will be on her iPhone, our me@me.com emails will be separate, different calendars and contacts, and our own safari bookmarks.

The first problem of course is that I don't want to buy my daughter 2 sets of the same apps, depending on whether she's on my iPhone or her mum's. The second problem is that we share the iPad and Apple doesn't have a facility to switch user IDs, so it has to be mine or hers.

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac. Then too when we use our iPhone to remote control the AppleTV it'll only recognise the iPhone with the same AppleID. We also want "find my iPhone" to find all 3 devices.

So there's a problem. We really have to merge IDs to some degree. It'll be interesting to work out what that degree is, in terms of what will actually work and in terms of what's legal. It isn't at all clear.

It'll be clearer. But Apple TV absolutely needs multiply ID ability.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by luinil View Post

A family ID grouping several Apple ID would be a solution.

It's not exactly that simple.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #27 of 62
At home we have a single account for purchase of content and it is not really a trouble, otoh, it helps a lot that my wife and I are who know the password, so we can approve or deny
I had an dot Mac account and moving to mobile me was not a problem at all, so wait until we get there and we will see how things roll out.
post #28 of 62
So I must have missed the explanation, so someone please enlighten me. How does the new iMessages app tell the difference between a SMS/MMS message and just a regular message from the App? It's my understanding that it's just like the iChat App on a Mac, just over 3G/WiFi from iOS to iOS. I currently don't have a Text Messaging plan on my iPhone and (even more-so now) don't plan on getting one now that it seems like Apple is making Texting Free from one iOS to another iOS. Am I assuming incorrectly?
post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not exactly that simple.

I do understand it's not that simple. And here comes another angle:

I have one account in one country to be able to find music and movies there and a account in my home country for the same reasons. On top of that other accounts in the family.

We can authorize for music and movies, but when updating apps it's a mess. Because we have bought apps on different accounts. Does not really upgrade very easy...

And I would like to have home sharing with multiple accounts in parallel. Maybe my kids should not control our TV for example. Opens up for some nice pranks... ;-)

Why not be able to have multiple accounts and fast-switch in app store / iTunes Store and so on? I don't know but they need to work out something here to make these things easier.

So, the way you answered Ireland, it sounds like you have insights here!!! I'm curious...
post #30 of 62
Yeah, its pretty much just another internet messaging protocol. Not the same as SMS which will work with phone numbers and on any mobile phone. dOnt really get it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.

You're not the only one. At the very least Joshua Topolsky and myself agree. And the Weather icon doesn't update. Only the Calendar icon.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 62
[QUOTE=antkm1;1877233]So I must have missed the explanation, so someone please enlighten me. How does the new iMessages app tell the difference between a SMS/MMS message and just a regular message from the App? It's my understanding that it's just like the iChat App on a Mac, just over 3G/WiFi from iOS to iOS. I currently don't have a Text Messaging plan on my iPhone and (even more-so now) don't plan on getting one now that it seems like Apple is making Texting Free from one iOS to another iOS. Am I assuming incorrectly?[/QUOTE


Correct!
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It'll be clearer. But Apple TV absolutely needs multiply ID ability.

I am in 100% agreement here. I mean, for crying out-loud UI says "Computers"...plural!!! That was the first and most annoying thing about the ATV2 I found. no access for multiple iTunes accounts simultaneously. However, Airplay has almost 90% solved that problem. I had a momentary uncontrollable geek-out yesterday when i was able to stream the WWDC Keynote streaming to my ATV2 from my iPad2. So Airplay has partially solved the multiple users accounts, but now with iCloud, I think ATV will never get this needed update. Apple will continue to ignore the potential of the ATV. However, they have seen the light with the adoption of iPad Mirroring to the ATV. So now I can play Angry birds on my HD plasma to my heart's content!
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them. What happens then with iCloud? It seems that it makes everything more personal/individual rather than being able to share stuff? All the syncing and stuff too...

Great question. (A similar issue crops up with Ping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

That would make no sense. It vitiates the very purpose of allowing your downloads to work on multiple home computers.

Apple really needs to allow for better personalization within the family.
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not exactly that simple.

Explain?
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

That's my confusion as well - I have an Apple ID and an ID used for itunes. Way back when they were supposed to be different. I assume we'll be able to merge them????
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It'll be clearer. But Apple TV absolutely needs multiply ID ability.

I don't think so. Just set all the iTunes libraries up to share and then you stream from them. They all show up on mine.
post #38 of 62
My wife and I are going to have a lot of these same issues. My wife is very non-techie so my plan is to switch all her apps to her iTunes account. She never updates her apps so it's easy enough to set it all up for her. She doesn't know or care. However, I can see a number of privacy issues if Apple does not allow more control over what is sent to the cloud. I'm excited with the changes, but unsure how it will turn out.
post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.

Good topic though..and this is a an iOS5 thread so let's jump in. Speaking up Native App updates...
I was really hoping iOS5 for iPad would include some of the "missing 6 Apps" from the iPhone (i.e. Clock, Calc, Compass, Voice Memos, Stocks and Weather). I use Weather, Clock and Calculator daily...why they left those out of the iPad OS is beyond me. Come on Apple, get with the program. I've had to rely on the App Store for those, but the Apps I have are just not the same. Apple did such a great job designing these apps and nothing in the App Store compares to the simplicity of the UI and the minimalist perfection of these iPhone native apps. At least offer them on the App store as an optional download, like with the Remote App and the iBooks App.

I have contacted Apple about these...but never got a response back. Maybe next time i'll email SJobs@apple.com directly. perhaps i'm the only one that misses these apps? I use the clock app for alarms and an egg timer for cooking and laundry all the time. I check the weather app on the go daily. The calculator I use daily for work, but wish it was something i could add to the unlock screen, since it usually sleeps too fast.
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac.

AppleTV is getting a software update too. Don't confuse the iOS 4 AppleTV with the iOS 5 AppleTV. Apple isn't dumb. Like Steve said, they build stuff they want to use themselves. I'm sure they've thought of this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts