or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 cases show up in leaked AT&T inventory photo

iPhone 5 cases show up in leaked AT&T inventory photo

post #1 of 40
An alleged photo of AT&T's inventory system was leaked Thursday, revealing the arrival of iPhone 5 cases ahead of the Apple device's anticipated unveiling next week.

The image appears to show that three different models from case manufacturer Case-Mate have been loaded into AT&T's inventory in advance of Apple's Oct. 4 iPhone event, according to BGR, who originally published the leak.

The Tough Case, Pop! Case and Barely There product lines seen in the photo reportedly represent a hard case, soft case and skin, respectively, and will be available at launch in a variety of colors. Earlier this month, the case maker posted images of its iPhone 5 cases before quickly taking them down.

The New York Times subsequently reported that, according to an Apple engineer source, the images "seemed potentially authentic." That report also noted that the next-generation iPhone will sport a "fairly different" design than the iPhone 4.

The case maker's iPhone 5 product page has since been replaced with a signup page. "We'll have your cases when you have your new iPhone," the company's site reads.

Alleged iPhone 5 case designs from Case-Mate.

Case-Mate claims that, according to its sources, Apple will be launching two different devices, an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4S, in early October. But, reports have varied on whether Apple will release a much-rumored low-end iPhone. Several analysts and pundits (1, 2) have cast doubt on the likelihood that a so-called iPhone 4S will arrive next week.

Consistent rumors have implied that Apple's next iPhone will feature an 8-megapixel camera and the speedy A5 processor. Some reports have also suggested that the iPhone maker could add deep voice recognition integration or near-field communication technology to its forthcoming smartphone.

post #2 of 40
Now I get it! 4 + 1 (in red).
post #3 of 40
This new iPhone is looking to borrow heavily from the iPad2 for its design, which is not a bad thing, but those beveled edges don't allow the dock connector to sit flush with the device (much like the iPd Touch), which I find a bit disconcerting.

Anyway... It'll likely look pretty similar to this:

We'll See...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

This new iPhone is looking to borrow heavily from the iPad2 for its design, which is not a bad thing, but those beveled edges don't allow the dock connector to sit flush with the device (much like the iPd Touch), which I find a bit disconcerting.

But it have wireless sync built into iOS 5.x, something I think you've complained about iOS for a long time now.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 40
I'd say this pretty much confirms the iPhone 5 form factor. I don't care about specs. I'm not upgrading.

I still expect a cheaper iPhone 4, S or not S, for $99 for 8GB.

I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 until my contract runs out. I really look forward to the iCloud and iOS5 for synchronizing. No more copying files to my iPad or my iMac.

Then I am going to find a way to go monthly to save money. If AT&T isn't subsidizing my phone, I'm paying too much! I'm not shelling out $299 for another phone.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it have wireless sync built into iOS 5.x, something I think you've complained about iOS for a long time now.

Exactly. And, he navigated to this (without attribution): http://www.giga.de/benm/2011/09/29/i...ign-prototype/
post #7 of 40
I think that the iPad 2 looks pretty good, so if the new iPhone looks like a mini-iPad 2, then I say, bring it on!
post #8 of 40
I can't wait to see what compelling new feature will convince me to upgrade because right now I am pretty satisfied with iP4, aside from my general criticism of the awful spell correction and lack of any ad blocking capability in mobile Safari which also relates to no plugins, no Flash and no user accessible file system in general, but other than that iP4 is perfect.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #9 of 40
Quote:

We'll See...

You can't fit an iPad2 in its dock connector with a smartcover on or any 3rd party snap case either so what's your point?
At least it won't require the godawful bumper which Apple says will not cover protection to it's antenna edge as dirt gets trapped underneath and scratches the metal. I know it firsthand, it's happened to my iphone4.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You can't fit an iPad2 in it's dock connector with a smartcover on or any 3rd party snap case either so what's your point?

He's not referring to the iPad 2 Dock, he's referring to the standard 30-pin dock connector cable not sitting flush with the device. You do have to pay slightly more attention when plugging in the connector but I haven't had any issues once it's in.

edit: Can't find image of the dock connector showing a lot of metal when fully plugged. But it's not a big deal, they could redesign the cable they ship if they want it to fit more snuggly against the rounded edge.
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I'd say this pretty much confirms the iPhone 5 form factor. I don't care about specs. I'm not upgrading.

I still expect a cheaper iPhone 4, S or not S, for $99 for 8GB.

I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 until my contract runs out. I really look forward to the iCloud and iOS5 for synchronizing. No more copying files to my iPad or my iMac.

Then I am going to find a way to go monthly to save money. If AT&T isn't subsidizing my phone, I'm paying too much! I'm not shelling out $299 for another phone.

You know you can likely sell your iPhone 4 for $450 (16GB) now. Most likely 6 months or so and it will still sell for around $400. Do that and you can just buy another phone without using a penny.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

You know you can likely sell your iPhone 4 for $450 (16GB) now. Most likely 6 months or so and it will still sell for around $400. Do that and you can just buy another phone without using a penny.

Oh, and unlocking your device before selling it (but not overloading it with extra jailbroken crap) will kick that price up by another hundred or so.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #13 of 40
Quote:

He's not referring to the iPad 2 Dock, he's referring to the standard 30-pin dock connector cable not sitting flush with the device. You do have to pay slightly more attention when plugging in the connector but I haven't had any issues once it's in.

I have an iPad 2, and I can't say that I've ever had any problems with connecting the dock connector to the device and I've done it hundreds of times already.
post #14 of 40
Quote:

edit: Can't find image of the dock connector showing a lot of metal when fully plugged. But it's not a big deal, they could redesign the cable they ship if they want it to fit more snuggly against the rounded edge.

Ok I understand what he means now and actually the larger plastic pinned connector that came with the original iPods and accessories worked better IMO. Unfortunately mine shorted out and Apple doesn't make them anymore.
post #15 of 40
This dispells the iPhone 4s -- minor update b.s. Once and for all.

It certainty refuels my feeling of a real 4s same form factor but cheaper.
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

This dispells the iPhone 4s -- minor update b.s. Once and for all.

Implying any of us knows anything about anything about ANYTHING. No, that wasn't a typo; that doubling is on purpose.

We've seen sticker labels reading iPhone 4S. We've seen AT&T product pages reading iPhone 5.

What if the new device is called iPhone 4S but has a new form factor?

I think I've just sent every single teeterer* on this board into a metaphysical crisis.

*Teeterer: n; one who teeters; a person characterized as "one of those whiners who complains that they won't buy the next iPhone if it's called the iPhone 4S and/or one of those whiners who demands every single feature ever rumored ever from the iPhone 5"

post #17 of 40
I was blown away the first time I picked up and felt the iPad 2 in my hands. I would love this form factor in my next phone.
post #18 of 40
Quote:

We'll See...

That looks about right!
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That looks about right!

You DO realize that's just a block of aluminum with glass, right? That's not even a phone... just a physical mock up of what they iphone is expected to look like based on the leaked cases.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You can't fit an iPad2 in its dock connector with a smartcover on or any 3rd party snap case either so what's your point?
At least it won't require the godawful bumper which Apple says will not cover protection to it's antenna edge as dirt gets trapped underneath and scratches the metal. I know it firsthand, it's happened to my iphone4.

What?

This is what I'm referring to (e.g. the dock connector is not in full contact with the device surface):

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg825...jpg&res=medium
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #21 of 40
Quote:

Better late than never, though there's still no built-in wireless charging, so looks like that dock-connector will still have to be used.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #22 of 40
So now we know the shape and the material - how dull. I was hoping for a nice surprise. Actually, now that I have seen Photos and video of the Nokia Swipe I was kinda hoping for something like that.
post #23 of 40
Quote:

Better late than never, though there's still no built-in wireless charging, so looks like that dock-connector will still have to be used.

How quickly can wireless charging go from almost empty to full? With a cable it is less than an hour give or take, on an iPhone.

post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can't wait to see what compelling new feature will convince me to upgrade because right now I am pretty satisfied with iP4, aside from my general criticism of the awful spell correction and lack of any ad blocking capability in mobile Safari which also relates to no plugins, no Flash and no user accessible file system in general, but other than that iP4 is perfect.

and the iP4 will be even better with iOS 5 and iCloud!

well there are high probabilities that the new iPhone 5 will:

- be a combined CDMA/GSM world phone (that can be unlocked post-contract?).
- support some version of LTE etc.
- have an even better 8 megapixel camera.
- have the latest even faster A5 processor chip.

would that be enuff to get you to upgrade?

and there is a real possibility it will also:

- add an NFC chip.
- have a bit larger screen.

would that tip the scale for you to upgrade?

but most of all, with the "let's talk" Apple hype of next week's event, it is certain Apple is going to launch some new Voice UI technology - "Assistant" (perhaps even basic "artificial intelligence"?). and reportedly that requires the A5 chip plus more RAM, so will only work on the iP5 (and iPad 2?).

would that be an offer you can't refuse?
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

would that be an offer you can't refuse?

No not even close. It would have to either make my life easier and less complicated or make me look 20 years younger.

post #26 of 40
post #27 of 40
Quote:

No not even close. It would have to either make my life easier and less complicated or make me look 20 years younger.

if having my voice print using spoken commands would replace all those damn text passwords, which i often can't remember because of the varying pw rules for different sites, that would make my life a hell of a lot easier.
post #28 of 40
Quote:

if having my voice print using spoken commands would replace all those damn text passwords, which i often can't remember because of the varying pw rules for different sites, that would make my life a hell of a lot easier.

We're sorry we did not get that, please repeat your password. We're sorry did you say mfuker29? That is not a valid entry.

post #29 of 40
Quote:

We're sorry we did not get that, please repeat your password. We're sorry did you say mfuker29? That is not a valid entry.

one of the letters has to be capitalized.

but seriously, there would be no more pw's at all. your voice print itself giving any command is it.
post #30 of 40
Quote:

one of the letters has to be capitalized.

but seriously, there would be no more pw's at all. your voice print itself giving any command is it.

Tell that to the millions of text based websites

post #31 of 40
Quote:

Tell that to the millions of text based websites

i wuz thinking of iOS apps using the new "Assistant" API's. nearly all the websites i use that require log in also have their own iOS apps with web/cloud backends nowadays. and of course the PW i have to enter the most often by far is iTunes/App Store.
post #32 of 40
Noooo. I was hoping it didn't have the teardrop design. The buttons are a pain to use on the iPod touch 4th gen. Hopefully it'll be like the 3GS (not so bad).
post #33 of 40
If these cases are accurate there's no question now, the iPhone 5 not only looks like a mini-iPad 2 but it has a larger screen. Why is this not the headline?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU7iC...layer_embedded

That would appear to be a 4" display.

And now we have a clear distinction between the high end iPhone 5 (multicore, bigger display, thinner and possibly weighs less) vs the 'low end' iPhone 4s (rebranded iPhone 4) with it's single core, smaller display, greater thickness and weight. Both run the universe of apps but only one of them demands a premium.

I'm curious to know now what they did to the screen resolution on the 5. Since it is a bigger display, did they up the pixels to match the ipad, 1024x768? Or did they just lower the density. I would bet they're trying to match the ipad resolution, it would give them something else to brag about.

That also begs the question, could they have finally changed the aspect ratio on the iPhone 5 from 3:2 to 4:3?

iPhone 4s, single model, $99?

People will now know with relative certainty that if you can wait 2 years after Apple introduces a new phone you can get the current premium model in an 's' configuration for $99. iPhone 5s for $99 in 2013 everyone.
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFro View Post

Noooo. I was hoping it didn't have the teardrop design. The buttons are a pain to use on the iPod touch 4th gen. Hopefully it'll be like the 3GS (not so bad).

I find the iPod Touch 4 slanted edges hard to use - at least without getting a good grip on it with two hands. The flat edge to the iPhone 4 is much better. Even plugging in a dock connector on the iPod just feels wrong with the angle. and it cannot stand on its edge for hands free video conferencing.
post #35 of 40
deleted
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

How unfortunate that AT&T will be dropped for leaking product info. I mean, we saw what happened with ATI, so of course we can expect the same for AT&T, no?

When ATI leaked information it was (if I remember correctly) a semi-official statement from the company itself. This appears to be a photograph of a screen which could have been taken by anyone with access into their database. Will Apple be unhappy? Sure. But I don't expect them to take any action because of one (possible) employee.

In any case, I hope the iP5 is everything it is being hyped as ... my 3GS is ready for retirement.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

When ATI leaked information it was (if I remember correctly) a semi-official statement from the company itself. This appears to be a photograph of a screen which could have been taken by anyone with access into their database. Will Apple be unhappy? Sure. But I don't expect them to take any action because of one (possible) employee.

In any case, I hope the iP5 is everything it is being hyped as ... my 3GS is ready for retirement.

I completely agree with this. Good bye 3Gs <fingers crossed>.
post #38 of 40
Hi All,
I believe '4' in apple 'Lets talk , Iphone' invite not only indicate date but also new Iphone 4 model. It is so bold..its my guess..sorry for off topic reply
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by udayasoorian View Post

I believe '4' in apple 'Lets talk , Iphone' invite not only indicate date but also new Iphone 4 model. It is so bold..its my guess

Except it means "October 4" because it's on a CALENDAR.

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

So now we know the shape and the material - how dull. I was hoping for a nice surprise. Actually, now that I have seen Photos and video of the Nokia Swipe I was kinda hoping for something like that.

Wow. I'm panting for the iPhone 5 but - that Nokia Swipe is nice looking. I like the edges (particularly the round sides but flat top & bottom), I like the option of colors. Interesting...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 cases show up in leaked AT&T inventory photo