or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad projected to control 61% of tablet market in 2012

Apple's iPad projected to control 61% of tablet market in 2012

post #1 of 54
New tablet sales projections from Gartner call for Apple to sell nearly 73 million iPads in 2012, and to remain the market leader through 2016.

Total worldwide tablet sales are forecast to reach 118.9 million units this year, with Apple accounting for 73 million of those. Total sales will grow 98 percent from 2011, based on Gartner's projections.

The research firm sees Apple's iOS maintaining its position as the dominant tablet operating system. Apple's projected share would be good for 61.4 percent of tablet sales to end users this year.

Gartner sees Apple maintaining its leadership position even as competitors such as Microsoft's Windows 8 come to the market later in the year.

"Despite PC vendors and phone manufacturers wanting a piece of the pie and launching themselves into the media tablet market, so far, we have seen very limited success outside of Apple with its iPad," said Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner.

"As vendors struggled to compete on price and differentiate enough on either the hardware or ecosystem, inventories were built and only 60 million units actually reached the hands of consumers across the world. The situation has not improved in early 2012, when the arrival of the new iPad has reset the benchmark for the product to beat."

Finishing second to iOS this year, based on Gartner's predictions, will be Android, which the firm believes will be installed on 37.9 million tablets sold. In a distant third is Microsoft, which is forecast to sell 4.9 million tablets this year.

"It appears that this year competitors have waited to see what Apple would bring out — because there were very few announcements of new media tablets at either the Consumer Electronics Show or Mobile World Congress," Milanesi said. "Many vendors will wait for Windows 8 to be ready and will try to enter the market with a dual-platform approach, hoping that the Microsoft brand could help them in both the enterprise and consumer markets."

By 2016, Gartner believes Apple will sell 170 million tablets in a single year, continuing to lead Android at 138 million. Microsoft is seeing accounting for 43.6 million tablets in 2016.

"IT departments will see Windows 8 as the opportunity to deploy tablets on an OS that is familiar to them and with devices offered by many enterprise-class suppliers," Milanesi said. "This means that we see Windows 8 as a strong IT-supplied offering more so than an OS with a strong consumer appeal."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 54
...and 100% of the market's profit.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 54
They accomplish this by making great (insanely) stuff. Period. So many companies have forgotten this.
post #4 of 54
There will be 46M non-iOS tablets sold in 2012!?

In which parallel universe?
post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"IT departments will see Windows 8 as the opportunity to deploy tablets on an OS that is familiar to them and with devices offered by many enterprise-class suppliers," Milanesi said. "This means that we see Windows 8 as a strong IT-supplied offering more so than an OS with a strong consumer appeal."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Typical old fashioned reasoning, which indeed served IBM "market will buy, just because it is an IBM product" (you replace "IBM" by "Microsoft"). It does no longer work this way ....
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The same parallel universe in which some well known brokerage house predicted that Android tablets would overtake the iPad by 2015.

"What a fool believes the wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be is always better than nothing, nothing at all."

- "What a Fool Believes" - the Dobbie Borthers
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Typical old fashioned reasoning, which indeed served IBM "market will buy, just because it is an IBM product" (you replace "IBM" by "Microsoft"). It does no longer work this way ....

The thing is, Win8 Metro UI is not familiar. Win8 with the "classic UI" isn't quite familiar. You need a 3rd-party utility just to get the Start Button back. I think Win7 is a brilliant job by MS but Win8 just feels wrong in every way. On top of that, I have yet to see developers invent in Metro apps for Win8 or how Win8 will work on ARM in comparison to iOS on the iPad.

post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The same parallel universe in which some well known brokerage house predicted that Android tablets would overtake the iPad by 2015.

"What a fool believes the wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be is always better than nothing, nothing at all."

- "What a Fool Believes" - the Dobbie Borthers

What happened to those analysts that kept predicting that Windows Mobile would over take everything and be the dominate mobile OS? I'm pretty sure that was still being presented as the most likely scenario up through 2011.

post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Windows 8 for tablets has anything that could be considered familiar to IT departments other than the Microsoft logo, it will be a complete failure. A touch interface needs a complete redesign to work. Throw out everything except the kernel. We'll see. If they can get Office to work they may have a chance.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What happened to those analysts that kept predicting that Windows Mobile would over take everything and be the dominate mobile OS? I'm pretty sure that was still being presented as the most likely scenario up through 2011.

If there's any sanity left in the world, they were all fired and are now waiting in soup lines.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 54
Quote:

Yeah...

The way I see it for 2012:

iPad == 80 Million Units

Android == 12 Million Units

Windows 8 == 1.5 Million units

Other == .5 Million Units
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #12 of 54
only if Apple is able to keep FUD by filing lawsuits against its competitors.
post #13 of 54
I keep seeing these types of ratio stories pop up.

But where the hell is the other 39%? I saw a couple PlayBooks while in Waterloo. I've seen a single person using a Galaxy Tab. Everything else was literally an iPad.

Edit: And on that note, where are the Android phones? I see BlackBerries. I even see a few Windows Phones. Everyone I knew with an Android is now using an iPhone, and I haven't seen one in the wild in weeks.
post #14 of 54
The thing that struck me was the prediction of 17 Million QNX-based systems. Is someone one other than RIM building QNX-based systems? Have Playbook sales really been that good this year to justify projections of 2.6M?
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

But where the hell is the other 39%? I saw a couple PlayBooks while in Waterloo. I've seen a single person using a Galaxy Tab. Everything else was literally an iPad.

Edit: And on that note, where are the Android phones? I see BlackBerries. I even see a few Windows Phones. Everyone I knew with an Android is now using an iPhone, and I haven't seen one in the wild in weeks.

I know of three or four people using Android phones, and I've seen five non-iOS tablets (one HP Touchpad, 2 Galaxy Tabs and 2 Kindle Fires). In the meantime, I have seen hundreds of iPhones and iPads.
post #16 of 54
Quote:

And on that note, where are the Android phones? I see BlackBerries. I even see a few Windows Phones. Everyone I knew with an Android is now using an iPhone, and I haven't seen one in the wild in weeks.

I am seeing lots of Androids in Southern California. The IT/cable/phone installers type guys especially like them for some reason. They are pretty easy to spot since they don't fit in their jeans pocket. They always have some belt clip thing going on.

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I am seeing lots of Androids in Southern California. The IT/cable/phone installers type guys especially like them for some reason. They are pretty easy to spot since they don't fit in their jeans pocket. They always have some belt clip thing going on.

I know Charter issues them to on-the-road technical employees. They connect with their system and allow you to see and complete jobs. They, like most, if not all, cable companies used Nextel phones. These are quite handy for the two-way radio feature but they weren't very good for extracting and inputing information on your next or current work order.

post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

They accomplish this by making great (insanely) stuff. Period. So many companies have forgotten this.

You mean like the new iPad that has broken Wi-Fi or like my one that can't switch to 3G without a reboot?
post #19 of 54
I like how the date Apple will keep leading the tablet market keeps getting pushed further into the future. I remember hearing 2012 would be the year Android would overtake them. Then it was 2013, 2014, 2015 for SURE.... and now they're saying 2016? Something is clearly wrong with their "masterful" predictions.
post #20 of 54
Does this survey put things like Nooks and Kindles in the same category as iPads?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #21 of 54
I'm surprised the number is that low. I figured iPad would have at least 75% given its popularity.
post #22 of 54
Quote:

i don't think anecdotal evidence can be used to categorically refute information that's probably gathered empirically. in your example, "everything else was literally an iPad", could mean as little as five (5).
post #23 of 54
Gartner's school of astrology strikes again. They also predicted that WebOs would have 4% of tablet share in 2011 and 3.9 in 2012. If you can manage to control your laughter you will see in this latest chart the iPad dominance is extended by another year whereas their previous astrological predictions iPad only led till 2015!
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i don't think anecdotal evidence can be used to categorically refute information that's probably gathered empirically. in your example, "everything else was literally an iPad", could mean as little as five (5).

On the contrary, I'm not doubting the evidence at all, I'm certain it's very accurate. But if my anecdotal evidence matches with others (which does seem, repeatedly, to be the case) then it's a good cause to investigate the numbers and make sure they weren't fudged by, say, counting those on store shelves rather than in customer hands.
post #25 of 54
Sorry, but current market statistics say that for every two iPads I see, I should run across an Android based tablet. But that just isn't the case. I think I've seen two non-iPad tablets in the wild, but many, many iPads.

But then these numbers posted here are actually shipments of tablets and have nothing to do with sales.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #26 of 54
Math is a wonderful thing but left in the hands of mathematicians that have no idea what makes these products differ from each other, strength of the Apple brand and just plain old "also ran" quality of Android in (tablets) makes be think it is time to go back to the chalk boards.
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

But then these numbers posted here are actually shipments of tablets and have nothing to do with sales.

The table says "sales."
post #28 of 54
Quote:

On the contrary, I'm not doubting the evidence at all, I'm certain it's very accurate. But if my anecdotal evidence matches with others (which does seem, repeatedly, to be the case) then it's a good cause to investigate the numbers and make sure they weren't fudged by, say, counting those on store shelves rather than in customer hands.

understood.

however, anecdotal evidence is based on a worldview which is heavily based on the people with whom you interact -- be it person or online -- by choice or circumstance. and, one has to be aware that anecdotal evidence may be skewed by cognitive bias.
post #29 of 54
Quote:

I’ve wondered the same thing about current tablet share numbers I’ve seen claimed. I see iPads everywhere; once in a blue moon I see a Kindle Fire. I’ve seen any other tablet maybe 3 times in the past 18 months.

I think the answer my lie with a) too much optimism for Android, but also b) Kindle Fire. Sold at a loss, not compatible with mainstream app markets, and maybe “Android” in name only. Even Google themselves is allegedly looking for a way to counter the Amazon Fire “problem.” But I expect most Android tablets sold will be from Amazon. Bad for Android, bad for people expecting great Android tablet apps. But OK for people who want little more than an e-reader with color pictures; and OK for Amazon, as long as they recoup their loss.
post #30 of 54
Oh, there certainly could be a bias. In the interest of disclosure, my area is primary university-based settings, particularly mathematics where Linux strongly dominates.
post #31 of 54
Quote:

Oh, there certainly could be a bias. In the interest of disclosure, my area is primary university-based settings, particularly mathematics where Linux strongly dominates.

... which leads me to believe the Gartner sample population is much, much more varied by several orders of magnitude.

anyways, two thirds market share for the Apple iPad, in the tablet arena, is pretty good!
post #32 of 54
Quote:

The table says "sales."

yes but that is "sales" to best buy and such not sales to end users. Apple sells practically everything it can make. Other vendors never report sales.
post #33 of 54
Quote:

I never see anything other than iPhones and iPads in use.
post #34 of 54
Another bogus prediction/comparison. Apple has 90%+ marketshare of tablets actually being used.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #35 of 54
Quote:

Um not everyone can afford a iPad, It makes perfect sense.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Another bogus prediction/comparison. Apple has 90%+ marketshare of tablets actually being used.

I'm sorry and you know this how?
post #37 of 54
Quote:

It also dominates in the financial area, no I'm not talking about the front office applicatioms but the servers and workstations that contain trading software also highly mathematical based. I love Unix based OS's, no OS has come even close to what Unix/Linux can do.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Um not everyone can afford a iPad, It makes perfect sense.

Can people afford to NOT get an iPad?

You can buy a $70 Android tablet at Big Lots. They don't call it an eReader, they don't call it a media player, it's a "real tablet".

Uh huh.

Runs 1.6, even.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Sorry, but current market statistics say that for every two iPads I see, I should run across an Android based tablet. But that just isn't the case. I think I've seen two non-iPad tablets in the wild, but many, many iPads.

They must be selling else where, like here in Switzerland for instance, the Android tablets are very popular as their sold everywhere. We only have one Apple store in Zurich and their is only a few other companys that sell Apples, the margains are to small for a lot of our stores to carry them. We're still big in the ma and pa shops here. Not to say people don't buy Apples here they do a lot but Apple charges a lot more for their products here then say the US and a lot of us feel it's not right, especially when our Swiss Franc is worth more then the dollar. It's unfair and something needs to be done about it. Especially since Apples products are shipped from China directly to Apples Ireland distribution center and headquarters.

Thank goodness I travel to New York a lot so I have the opportunity to stock up on cheap gadgets.
post #40 of 54
Completely meaningless report. Nobody can predict the future. I used to produce reports like this in a former job and its all guesswork. All you do is draw a line through the past to the present and extrapolate it forward. Waste of time.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad projected to control 61% of tablet market in 2012