or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tickets to Apple's WWDC 2012 sell out in two hours

Tickets to Apple's WWDC 2012 sell out in two hours

post #1 of 37
Tickets to this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, to be held from June 11 through 15 in San Francisco, sold out in just two hours Wednesday morning.

Apple announced the dates for WWDC and began selling tickets at 8:30 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday. But by 10:30 a.m., the official WWDC website was no longer accepting registrations.

"Sorry, tickets are sold out," the site reads. "We?ll be posting videos of all our sessions shortly after the conference, so everyone can take advantage of great WWDC content for free."

The two-hour sellout is the fastest ever for Apple's annual developers conference. Last year, WWDC sold out in a record 10 hours, while in 2010 it took Apple 8 days to sell all of the tickets.

The event will kick off on June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West center, which can accommodate roughly 5,000 attendees. Apple has promised to show off the future of iOS and OS X at this year's conference.

WWDC

Last year, Apple used WWDC to unveil iOS 5 and also to highlight features from OS X 10.7 Lion. It's presumed that this year will be a similarly software-focused event with the unveiling of iOS 6 and new details on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, both of which are expected to become publicly available later this year.

Though the conference is officially sold out, Apple's website still offers the opportunity for students who build applications to apply for a WWDC 2012 Student Scholarship.
post #2 of 37

YET AGAIN! I miss it! 

post #3 of 37

Poor Pacific coast-ers.

post #4 of 37

Hey. Apple.

This has happened, what, four years in a row?

RENT A STADIUM.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey. Apple.

RENT A STADIUM.

Perhaps Apple will host events like the TED2023 conference some day.

post #6 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey. Apple.

RENT A STADIUM.

No, that wouldn't do at all. The whole point of being there is not to attend announcements, but to spend time with the 1,000 Apple engineers that are present to discuss development one-on-one. Too many people in attendance reduces your access to these engineers.

It would make more sense for Apple to hold a pair of events to keep the ratio of attendees to engineers good while allowing access to more people.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

It would make more sense for Apple to hold a pair of events to keep the ratio of attendees to engineers good while allowing access to more people.

So how do you stop the devs from the first event from coming to the second one?

post #8 of 37

It was less than 30 minutes from the time they sent the email to the time they were sold out.

Email: 7.01am PST
Sold out: 7:27am PST

Got mine, though :)

post #9 of 37

Quote:

Taking their engineers off of their development duties for one week is bad enough. They aren't going to do it for two.

What they should do is move the keynote to Main Moscone and make it a separate event, free for everyone. Then people aren't buying up tickets just to watch the keynote. Press should also be free to attend WWDC, but they are last in line to get into sessions.

post #10 of 37

You simply offer the purchases of one (and only one) ticket, give the developer a choice of time, if both are still open, and do not allow them to purchase any more tickets. You couldn't do it by Apple ID, since anyone can have as many of those as they want, but the logistics wouldn't be all that hard to take care of.

post #11 of 37

I received the notice in time, but opted not to buy. They did away with the IT track last year and didn't bring it back this year. So I'll go to other conferences that cater more to IT pros. A true developer can make better use of the spot I would have taken up at WWDC. It's a great event, and I'm sorry to miss it, but I simply can't justify going to it anymore.

post #12 of 37

You set a condition saying if you attended the "first" WWDC you can't come to the "second" one to give as many developers an opportunity.  That's the only way I can think of anyway.  But it would be a good idea to have two I think.  What will happen next year, the sell out in 30 minutes?

post #13 of 37

How much were the tickets?

post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post
You set a condition saying if you attended the "first" WWDC you can't come to the "second" one to give as many developers an opportunity. 

Yes, but that's completely unenforceable.

Oh! What am I thinking… Just have two events, a month apart, the same content in each. You'll still have tens of thousands of developers unable to attend, but you'll have more than now.

post #15 of 37
I missed last year, but made it this year. WOO HOO!
post #16 of 37

Quote:

I personally think Apple should extend WWDC to two weeks. One week for OS X and the other for iOS. Developers can then buy tickets for one or both. Something like that would work better than squeezing everything in 5 days.

post #17 of 37

I guess people didn't heed David Morgenstern (ZDNet) when he wrote his opus, "To WWDC or not to WWDC, that is the question"

post #18 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I personally think Apple should extend WWDC to two weeks. One week for OS X and the other for iOS. Developers can then buy tickets for one or both. Something like that would work better than squeezing everything in 5 days.

That's what I was thinking.  Combine that with the suggestion elsewhere that the keynote be an open-for-all event and separate press from developers better, and I think you'd have a lot more happy, productive developers-- both on the attendee and presenter sides.

I'd also suggest that Apple announce when tickets would go on sale ahead of time to give people in every time zone time to plan and decide.

post #19 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Poor Pacific coast-ers.

I got my ticket and am in Oregon :)... I had text alerts, email alerts all set up... I was one it lol

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #20 of 37

The WWDC 2012 needs to become The Apple WWDC Tour 2012. Clearly.

post #21 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Poor Pacific coast-ers.

Tell me about it.  :-(

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #22 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The WWDC 2012 needs to become The Apple WWDC Tour 2012. Clearly.

Might be a good idea.  Apple already has a kind of mini-WWDC tour called "Tech Talks."  They're only 1-day events, and they only cover iOS, but they're free.  Last year they held 9 of the events around the world, 3 in the U.S.  You need to be a registered iOS developer, and you need to have at least one app on the App Store before you can attend.

Then again, maybe Apple could either find a larger venue for WWDC or maybe double its length and do the whole thing twice.  It all depends on whether or not Apple thinks it is beneficial to them and their developer community.  After all, Apple posts the WWDC session videos online after WWDC is over.  And all of the iOS / OS X / Safari details are posted on their developer reference pages ASAP as well.

post #23 of 37

Quote:

Hey. Apple.

RENT A STADIUM.

The problem isn't the space.. its the fact that the quality of the event depends on the attendees/Apple Engineers ratio.

Unless you want just another hackathon, this is max size.

post #24 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No, that wouldn't do at all. The whole point of being there is not to attend announcements, but to spend time with the 1,000 Apple engineers that are present to discuss development one-on-one. Too many people in attendance reduces your access to these engineers.

I'd rather the engineers were allowed to actual work. A week away is enough.

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciparis View Post

It was less than 30 minutes from the time they sent the email to the time they were sold out.

Email: 7.01am PST
Sold out: 7:27am PST

Got mine, though :)

I wonder if Apple had any idea it would sell out so fast, and if they did, wouldn't they have given the west coast more of a chance by opening up the window during waking hours for them too?
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
I wonder if Apple had any idea it would sell out so fast, and if they did, would they have given the west coast more of a chance by opening up the window during waking hours for them too.

This has happened four years in a row at least. Steve mentions how quickly it sells out at the start of the main keynote. They know, and they don't seem to care.

post #27 of 37
Quote:

Quote:
I wonder if Apple had any idea it would sell out so fast, and if they did, would they have given the west coast more of a chance by opening up the window during waking hours for them too.

This has happened four years in a row at least. Steve mentions how quickly it sells out at the start of the main keynote. They know, and they don't seem to care.

Yeah, but last year did it not take twelve hours?
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Yeah, but last year did it not take twelve hours?

I thought four. lol.gif Ah, "under 12".

Well, next year it'll sell out in 30 minutes, 2014 in 5, and WWDC 2015 will sell out three days before tickets go on sale.

post #29 of 37

I have ordered mine, but haven't received the tickets in my mail box. Shipping: Within 24 hours via email.

Have others already got their tickets in the email?

post #30 of 37
Quote:

You don't, but I'd assume double the cost is a deterant for many

Imagine if it was 2 one week events in a 3 week span. One held in Boston the other in SF. This would help many in the US and around the world adjust their availability and their travel costs.

Now there still would be those that would want to attend both. Why? There are enough workshops that one wouldn't need to repeat a course but a second lesson could also be helpful to some.

But that's a moot point because App,e could easily prevent repeat attendees if they wanted to.

As for the stadium idea, you need rooms for each workshop. Apple could use a place with larger rooms that allow more attendees per workshop but even that has its issues. Personally I'd like to see them move from Moscone West to one of the Much larger, subterranean buildings.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I'd rather the engineers were allowed to actual work. A week away is enough.

There is a case to be made that this takes away from their jobs, but you can make that case for WWDC itself. This is 1 week a year 1000+ engineers are not working on their projects, which doesn't include the number of weeks they spend preparing these workshops.

From experience the presentation is a fraction of the preparation time so doing a 2nd presentation could be a more effective use of time and money if strengthing the 3rd-party dev market has a high enough value for the platform.

post #32 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is a case to be made that this takes away from their jobs, but you can make that case for WWDC itself. This is 1 week a year 1000+ engineers are not working on their projects, which doesn't include the number of weeks they spend preparing these workshops.
From experience the presentation is a fraction of the preparation time so doing a 2nd presentation could be a more effective use of time and money if strengthing the 3rd-party dev market has a high enough value for the platform.

If they did a second session, they would get good use from their prepared materials and rehearsals. Also, since the event is held in their hometown, it is not as stressful as traveling to a convention in another city. I just came from a convention where there were 10,000 attendees from around the world. Apple could easily host that many people at a larger facility or hold another session.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #33 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

How much were the tickets?

Capture.JPG

I got this screen shot from Apple's website....

Edited by not1lost - 4/25/12 at 1:24pm
post #34 of 37

It's just a toy.

post #35 of 37

Quote:

Hey. Apple.

RENT A STADIUM.

They would no more do this than they would do anything to discourage lineups at iPhone launches.

post #36 of 37

Quote:

Not all 1000+ Apple staff members (sorry, but not all of them qualify as engineers) spend the whole week at WWDC. But your point is an interesting one.

post #37 of 37

Quote:

I think doing a 2nd consecutive (clone) week is the better option. A lot of time is spent preparing the materials and the logistics, so it becomes an incremental cost. As the engineers aren't in the labs the entire time and are typically not far away, the impact wouldn't be that great.

Having a second consecutive week would also enable some interesting weekend uses of the facility for collaboration, meeting, hack-a-thons, dev user groups, etc.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tickets to Apple's WWDC 2012 sell out in two hours