or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display - Page 6

post #201 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

I said Samsung shipped 2 million tablets last year!
It is only disparaging to Samsung tablets which are not a part of the discussion. No matter how you want to slice it, Samsung shipped 40 million more phones that were less than 5 inches.
Apple sold 37 million iPhones in the first quarter. That is, between two companies, close to 80 million more phones shipped or sold that we're smaller than 5 inches.
I never effing said that the Note is NOT a success! But it is NOT a household name! There is no average guy, on the street buzz about it! There are no reports about not being in stock. Nobody is lining up for it! It is NOT a phenomenon! It is a nice Independent Film that is successful, but it is not The Avengers.
The point is, 7 million people wanted a 5 inch phone and 80 million people didn't. There is a distinction between success and market share.
If the trend demonstrated that people wanted more 5 inch phones more manufacturers would be announcing them.
People, by contrast, purchased 3 million new iPads in the first 4 days. That is real cash that is unsubsidized by telecom carriers.
So however you want to cut it, the Note is not a blockbuster but it is a success. It is unlikely that even Samsung believes it to be their number one phone. A high priority phone? Sure, but not their everyday industry and brand defining phone.
If you friggin say that I have not called it a success again you are simply tone deaf.
It is the worlds number one selling 5 inch phone. There, feel better now?

Everything you've stated is to paint the Note as unsuccessful for the market as a whole by comparing specific product sales to an entire market. You can do that to the iPhone to all handsets, too.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #202 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Everything you've stated is to paint the Note as unsuccessful for the market as a whole by comparing specific product sales to an entire market. You can do that to the iPhone to all handsets, too.

 

Why do you keep trying... the guy/girl thinks they've got a lock on intelligence... and, I'm sure, it has become evident that that is not the case.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #203 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

You are now just being silly.
I have asked a simple user based question, "Does it fit in the front pocket of most to all pants?"
Anything that doesn't still requires some level of planning or thinking to bring it with you. Period.
This is a fact. It is not based on hypotheticals like, "ummm, if it is smaller id be more likely to take it with me to my buddies house.

The fact that I think it's a stupidly large phone and pointlessly small tablet that doesn't appear to me to good for either job makes their success even more impressive. When the first iPad arrived I said that I didn't see how it would fit into my needs but I could definitely see how it could meet the needs of a great many current and new Apple customers. I can't see it with the Note which means, in internet logic, I should automatically disparage it, but it's clearly a success and a blockbuster device for its category. To say anything else would just be lying to myself.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #204 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why do you keep trying... the guy/girl thinks they've got a lock on intelligence... and, I'm sure, it has become evident that that is not the case.

I'm sorry it is true that a seven inch tablet won't it in the front pocket of most pants.

That is all I have said, and for ME that is what I would need it to do to be considered more portable than my iPad.

The Galaxy Note does or is likely to. Exactly what is your problem?
post #205 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The fact that I think it's a stupidly large phone and pointlessly small tablet that doesn't appear to me to good for either job makes their success even more impressive. When the first iPad arrived I said that I didn't see how it would fit into my needs but I could definitely see how it could meet the needs of a great many current and new Apple customers. I can't see it with the Note which means, in internet logic, I should automatically disparage it, but it's clearly a success and a blockbuster device for its category. To say anything else would just be lying to myself.

Everything you're saying here I have already said. I really don't get what your argument is either?

In regards to "its category" I even said "it is the worlds number one selling 5 inch phone."
post #206 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Everything you're saying here I have already said. I really don't get what your argument is either?

It's also looks to be in the top 5 selling Android phones which, again, makes it even more impressive for being such a fundamentally bad, IMO, size.


Anything in the top 5 in unit sales or usage numbers can't really be defined as a niche product. You could even further bring it up the list by combining the product models of the Galaxy S models they way you can combine YoY iPhone models, but there really is no need for all that.

If you call the Note a niche product then you should call the iPhone 3GS a niche product because it's clearly selling less than newer iPhones. But that would be silly.
Quote:
In regards to "its category" I even said "it is the worlds number one selling 5 inch phone."

What is niche is the device size for the smartphone market, not the device itself. There is a very real and distinct difference.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #207 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's also looks to be in the top 5 selling Android phones which, again, makes it even more impressive for being such a fundamentally bad, IMO, size. Anything in the top 5 in unit sales or usage numbers can't really be defined as a niche product. You could even further bring it up the list by combining the product models of the Galaxy S models they way you can combine YoY iPhone models, but there really is no need for all that.
If you call the Note a niche product then you should call the iPhone 3GS a niche product because it's clearly selling less than newer iPhones. But that would be silly.
Quote:
In regards to "its category" I even said "it is the worlds number one selling 5 inch phone."
What is niche is the device size for the smartphone market, not the device itself. There is a very real and distinct difference.

I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!

Yes the iPhone 3GS is a bargain entry level device of a model that is being phased out.

If you want to extend "niche" to that device I won't argue the point.
post #208 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!
Yes the iPhone 3GS is a bargain entry level device of a model that is being phased out.
If you want to extend "niche" to that device I won't argue the point.

2.8% of all Android is not a runaway. It also dropped 6% of its relative percentage in the last 30 days. In fact it isn't even in the top three of Samsung smart phones on the list. By your definition the HTC Evo 4G is a runaway smash with its similar Android market share of 2.4%. Which, by the way, is the average market share of the following four Android phones on the list.
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/8/12 at 3:32pm
post #209 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


You are now just being silly.
I have asked a simple user based question, "Does it fit in the front pocket of most to all pants?"
Anything that doesn't still requires some level of planning or thinking to bring it with you. Period.
This is a fact. It is not based on hypotheticals like, "ummm, if it is smaller id be more likely to take it with me to my buddies house.

And why does it need to be a pant? Why couldn't it be a jacket with large pockets? And why does it needs to fit a pant pocket to be the definition of "more portable"? I can tell you most of my jackets can fit a 7" tablet. And at worst, it's easier to hold the damn 7" with one hand like a small book. If I have the option of a 9.7" iPad and 7.85" iPad that I can use on the run, then I will most likely choose the 7.85" most of the time. Why? Because it's freakingly and physically SMALLER and LIGHTER. By my definition, that makes it more portable.

 

Why do you suppose some people choose the 11" MBA over the 13" MBA? Heck, if the 11" is not more portable simply because of its size and weight, then why the hell did Apple make it?

post #210 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

And why does it need to be a pant? Why couldn't it be a jacket with large pockets? And why does it needs to fit a pant pocket to be the definition of "more portable"? I can tell you most of my jackets can fit a 7" tablet. And at worst, it's easier to hold the damn 7" with one hand like a small book. If I have the option of a 9.7" iPad and 7.85" iPad that I can use on the run, then I will most likely choose the 7.85" most of the time. Why? Because it's freakingly and physically SMALLER and LIGHTER. By my definition, that makes it more portable.

Why do you suppose some people choose the 11" MBA over the 13" MBA? Heck, if the 11" is not more portable simply because of its size and weight, then why the hell did Apple make it?

Why a pant pocket? Because you are always wearing pants that's why. Do you always need to wear a jacket? all these guys chiming in bringing up their coats and jackets, well either you have to wear a suit everyday or you only plan on carrying it seasonally.

It has been a 100 degrees all week this week. What coat pocket are you going to carry it in?

But the fact is it requires something "extra" to carry it with you if it isn't in your hands the whole time. Is that so hard to understand?

If the MBA's had the same specs other than just size, sure you would have a point, but there is more than just the size that differentiates the two models. Greater price difference being the biggest difference.
Edited by bmason1270 - 7/8/12 at 7:17pm
post #211 of 225

Ok, half the time you wear a jacket and the other half you wear shorts with deep pockets! Why does it need to fit a pocket to be more portable, light and easy to handle? Why do I continue to post here? lol.gif
 

post #212 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Ok, half the time you wear a jacket and the other half you wear shorts with deep pockets! Why does it need to fit a pocket to be more portable, light and easy to handle? Why do I continue to post here? lol.gif

 

Fine if you get to wear shorts at work. The point is it is just as portable in most real world conditions as a regular iPad. It would not be a true hands free carrying device without some compensation. Casually in pants no jacket you'll carry the thing around in your hand just as you would an iPad looking like a tool.
post #213 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Ok, half the time you wear a jacket and the other half you wear shorts with deep pockets! Why does it need to fit a pocket to be more portable, light and easy to handle? Why do I continue to post here? lol.gif
 

 

Hey... I'm doing my best to warn people.

 

You do not get to have a choice. It is not up to you to say whether you like one size over another. You must have a really really good reason. Personal preference isn't good enough. While we're at it we're going to ban the colors yellow, green and blue. There are enough other colors and yellow, green and blue aren't necessary. We're also going to do away with Fords, Chryslers, Hondas and Subarus... too many choices already. Get ready because next week we are going to do away with back pockets and size small in clothes. The week after that we're going to do away with all but 3 styles of shoes. To hell with personal preference. One size, color, shoe, car fits all.

 

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #214 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hey... I'm doing my best to warn people.

You do not get to have a choice. It is not up to you to say whether you like one size over another. You must have a really really good reason. Personal preference isn't good enough. While we're at it we're going to ban the colors yellow, green and blue. There are enough other colors and yellow, green and blue aren't necessary. We're also going to do away with Fords, Chryslers, Hondas and Subarus... too many choices already. Get ready because next week we are going to do away with back pockets and size small in clothes. The week after that we're going to do away with all but 3 styles of shoes. To hell with personal preference. One size, color, shoe, car fits all.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

And you clearly out of arguments. Lol!!!!

When it is raining, or cold and you have a jacket, when you are wearing a suit to church or work, or cargo shorts to the beach, when your wife will carry it in her purse for you, you too, will be able to take a tablet where no iPad had ever dreamed of going before!!! Because when you are on the go, and you still have a Internet connected iPhone with all your apps in sync you just won't be able to live without the nearly identical experience on two YES TWO devices!!! Because yes, something the size of the notebook you had in high school is now just too damn bulky to bring with you.

Yes America, it weighs ounces less and is less usefull for productivity, unless you also buy the Bluetooth keyboard. No, it isn't a phone, but you'll have lots of room in your pants pocket to still carry your phone because the tablet won't fit there anyway!

And if the Flash you thought you needed was still relevant for the "full web" you can use iSwifter because there is no iPhone app anyway.

The ladies will stand back in awe as you whip out your new "seven inch" as you show them how awesome Flipboard is.

all the things you bitched about the iPad not doing well? Well congratulations this will be even worse than that! But wait, there is more!!!

How much would you expect to pay for this modern compromise??!!! $100? $200?!!

Nope $300!!!!!! Yes!, that's right! $100 less than a full size iPad!!!!

But don't take our word for it, let's listen to some customers!!

"I used to think the original iPad was too big and heavy, I could never get it out of the house, I needed a bag or I had to lug the beast around in my bare hand. But when I took just my iPhone it was too little. Even though I still need my phone with me the new iPad is JUST RIGHT! THANKS NEW SMALLER iPAD!!!" -- Goldielocks

"All I know is I could feel that stupid heavy and huge iPad diggin in my back all the time when I carried it around in my backpack. No matter how many books I stuffed in that thing I could still feel it!! THANKS NEW MAGICALLY SMALL iPAD!!!"--- The Princess and the Pea
post #215 of 225
Heavens to betsy…

I imagine that with the introduction of the next iPhone, all matters in this regard will be cleared up. Meaning, of course, only one matter, the only matter that matters; Apple's take on the situation.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #216 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Heavens to betsy…
I imagine that with the introduction of the next iPhone, all matters in this regard will be cleared up. Meaning, of course, only one matter, the only matter that matters; Apple's take on the situation.

 

This has nothing to do with iPhones.

 

(other than the fact that someone was silly enough to put it in the iPhone forum)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #217 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This has nothing to do with iPhones.

But of course. "This matter" in my post meaning that of the smaller iPad. I'm following the context.
Quote:
(other than the fact that someone was silly enough to put it in the iPhone forum)

Our bot has been hiccuping since Huddler. If you see something misplaced (or if you see seven reposts…), flag the AI post and we'll move it where it belongs (and then I'll shoot a message to the higher-ups to check on what's happening).

As for the thread having nothing to do with iPhones, I'll do you one better: there's no sense in it being on this website at all.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #218 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But of course. "This matter" in my post meaning that of the smaller iPad. I'm following the context.

 

You're nothing if not consistent.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #219 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're nothing if not consistent.

More often than not, in more ways than one, I feel much more like nothing. ㊙

That's not just the time of day talking. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #220 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

 

 

I'm not so sure the whole "too big to be a phone" is really a valid argument.  I see a lot of people using iPhones and it seems a great deal of them don't hold it or talk into it in the same way as a typical or "regular" phone.  It's not just Android phones because they are big.  A lot of folks hold the iPhone in their hand like a small pizza and whisper into the microphone hole or the attached microphone on the speaker cable.  A lot of folks, put it on the table on speaker mode also.  

 

Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  

 

It's like everyone always says that you shouldn't take a picture with an iPad because .... ?  

Well, they never really say why, just that it "isn't done," or some such thing.  

 

Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  

 

If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  

 

I bet half the people that think of these as not "real" or "proper" phones probably have that old-timey 'ringing phone' ringtone on theirs and think that's cool also.  :-/

 

WIth all due respect to you, considering the fact that you get 'a phone call a month' , I think your entire post can be considered utterly and completely irrelevant. I'm not sure how to be more clear, but the vast, vast majority of people that own phones get many more calls than that, and most to the tune of several phone calls a day. I hate talking on the phone, and talk less and get less calls than most people I know, yet my calls still number in the 10-15/day at LEAST. The fact that you wouldn't mind a tablet for a phone is because you don't even NEED a phone apparently, and a minor detail like not being able to fit a tablet in your pocket is apparently not even an issue for you, although it would be an issue for 99.9% of people that actually need and use phones. Yes, you will look like a fool talking into your iPad while holding it up to your head. It has nothing to do with not being used to something, but because it looks ridiculous as it is totally impractical. 

post #221 of 225

I had a look at the Galaxy Note today at Target. It's a little bigger than I thought it was. The Galaxy S III looks more suitable as a large phone that would fit in most any pocket. Screen sizes are 5.3 and 4.8 inches respectively.
 

post #222 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I had a look at the Galaxy Note today at Target. It's a little bigger than I thought it was. The Galaxy S III looks more suitable as a large phone that would fit in most any pocket. Screen sizes are 5.3 and 4.8 inches respectively.
 

 

The Galaxy Note actually fits comfortably in any pocket... but I see that you've qualified that with, "suitable as a large phone".

 

Got it.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #223 of 225

Look, to date Samsung have sold 6 million plus Galaxy notes. Well, if you're talking numbers, that's 6,000,000 * USD 550 = USD 3.3 Billion. 

It's certainly not super huge number, but it's no peanuts either. Samsung probably profited about USD 500 million from it. Since Samsung is a profit animal, much like Apple is, it will continue selling it until Galaxy Note's total profit declines substantially. These numbers suggest that there is a market for it, albeit it is much smaller than others.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Everything you've stated is to paint the Note as unsuccessful for the market as a whole by comparing specific product sales to an entire market. You can do that to the iPhone to all handsets, too.
post #224 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

The Galaxy Note actually fits comfortably in any pocket... but I see that you've qualified that with, "suitable as a large phone".

 

Got it.

To say that it fits any pocket is like saying everyone has large pockets. Anyway, it fits most pockets, but not all. Just to be clear, I have plenty of shorts and pants that have pockets too small for the note. I'm sure it fits all your pockets though, from that stance.

post #225 of 225

The Note is simply for a buyer that wants a bigger screen than an iPhone. 

I have a Galaxy S III. HUGE screen. Loving it. Of course, I have crappy eyes. Beyond all the other differences from Android and iPhone, one of them is that I am not about to walk around with my phone 2 inches from my eyes! People that got a Note want a huge screen. 

"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display