or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple seeks to invest 'hundreds of millions' in Twitter [u]

Rumor: Apple seeks to invest 'hundreds of millions' in Twitter [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 73

It's always a bad idea when a company strays from their core business.

Apple makes hardware, media apps, mobile devices, and operating systems.

Steve Jobs always said that Tim Cook was not a product person.

Tim, learn your own business before you try to learn someone else's.

Twitter will be gone before too long... save your big pile of cash for something that helps your own products.

post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoz View Post

Apple makes hardware, media apps, mobile devices, and operating systems.

Branching out doesn't mean you're straying from or ignoring your core business or that would mean that 3 of the 4 things you mention are strays from their original business strategy.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #43 of 73
I think Apple should take a stake in Twitter if for no other reason than to keep another big company from scooping them up. Oh and because it would throw the MS and Google fans into a tizzy. lol.gif
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Dvorak makes a good point about Twitter lately...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407756,00.asp

It's a long way from its roots, and doesn't look like it will recover on its road to obsolescence. 

1) It's hard to take any site seriously that still use such an archaic manner to name a URL.

2) He starts off my saying that only 30 of the 264 world leaders tweet for themselves. ONLY! ONLY!! How many of them have public Facebook pages or had MySpace pages or LiveJournal pages? The fact that 30 leaders from around the around the world are using Twitter — themselves — to communicate with the world at large shows just how powerful a medium it is.

3) Make no mistake, Twitter is a very useful tool, but if you don't believe me just remember that Dvorak thinks it's going to fail: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1923144,00.asp
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/28/12 at 2:00pm

post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think Apple should take a stake in Twitter if for no other reason than to keep another big company from scooping them up. Oh and because it would throw the MS and Google fans into a tizzy. lol.gif

That is a reason for a healthy investment in the service. They could get a contract with Apple that prevents them from selling the company (or doing other things) with assurances that Apple's needs are met.

For example, I can see Apple wanting to integrate Twitter in their ITS more deeply. It can be hard to find new music but if a friend can easily tweet that they like a song to Twitter (this is very common in other apps, BTW) or see an artist is trending then it might get interesting.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/28/12 at 10:59am

post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Wall Street Journal says New York Times is one year behind on this story, and it's not happening.

Which is what I thought as soon as I read he headline.

You certainly caught that quickly! AI updated the article to reflect this fact. What a way to make a headline huh.
Quote:

It's a long way from its roots, and doesn't look like it will recover on its road to obsolescence.

Good article, thanks for the link. And I concur; Twitter, just like Facebook, are things people really should be using. It takes away real communication, it doesn't have a fundamental good thing in it: it merely is for self-promotion. Something people should do without as one can promote themselves by doing good.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #47 of 73

Microsoft also invested "hundred of millions" in Apple, back in 1997. All it did was help create a stronger competitor. And we all know how much Microsoft needs competition to innovate.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 73

So the NYSlimes gets it wrong again.  If only the WSJ was less business oriented and more of a regular paper, I'd take it over the Slimes any day.

post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Please buy Twitter outright, Apple. Thanks

Yeah right, please spend 10B for even more "Tweet this and Tweet that" instead of investing them in say battery or camera tech.

post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Yeah right, please spend 10B for even more "Tweet this and Tweet that" instead of investing them in say battery or camera tech.

1) Hundreds of millions has now become billions?

2) With a company that has over $100 billion in cash there is no either/or scenario between an investment in Twitter and improving their HW. They don't even have to take people off developing HW to make the Twitter investment, unless with Mac OS was delayed due to iPhone OS.

post #51 of 73
Fantastic! Just buy it! Twitter is the new RSS for me.

Google+ can suck it!
post #52 of 73
Originally Posted by stevenoz in 2001 View Post

Apple makes hardware and operating systems.

This stupid new music player, iPod? What's the point of that?

I don't support a Twitter buyout or even an investment. Just putting things into perspective.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you always pick on comments taken out of context?

post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It takes away real communication, it doesn't have a fundamental good thing in it: it merely is for self-promotion. Something people should do without as one can promote themselves by doing good.

I think the early examples of Asthon Kutcher and Miley Cyrus posting what they're doing and where they are was a turn off for a lot of people. I certainly couldn't see how it would be useful to me or make communication better but there were plenty of intelligent people I respected that loved it so I gave it a shot. I still didn't get it but finally, months later, it clicked.

I forget exactly what it was but I found that it was a tool that could make my life better. A tool that could help me communication better. I forget where he wrote/said this but Stephen Fry, a prolific Twitterer basically said that when you only have 140 characters to make a point you learn to write better. You learn to consolidate and focus your points better. You learn to edit your comments, much like a stand-up comedian might retool a joke to be more concise to make it flow better.

Now that is a personal benefit one might get for posting outside of Twitter (and certainly not one I'm adhering to with this post 😷) but there are plenty of other valuable reasons to use Twitter. For me, the number reason is for news. I use RSS less and less because of Twitter. Being able to skim through recent tweets or recent tweets from a certain name is faster and more efficient than having to scour hundreds of recent RSS feeds to find an article I want to read. It's just fast and convenient. A shortcut to finding more info that interests me.

There are also other benefits like posting something to all your followers, which for me means a few dozen friends as I protect my tweets. It also means seeing what's trending at a given time. When a tragedy strikes Twitter users know first because that will trend. I know what's on the NBC network right now just because of what's trending for the Olympics. A lot of professional bloggers and writers use Twitter to interact with their followers. You can find David Pogue, Arnold Kim, Ricky Gervais, John Gruber, Horace Deidu, Andy Ihnatko and many others responding to users who are commenting on their articles. You can also find them all making comments that they wouldn't have otherwise made a blog or article about.

post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Honestly I dont like twitter.  Can't see what the benny is for investing in it.  I like FaceBook way more than Twitter.

I suppose they were better than NBC's interview with Ryan Seacrest that disgracefully cut out the tribute to the victims of the 7/7 bombings.

post #56 of 73
Quote:

Do you always pick on comments taken out of context?

If your intent isn't as I rebutted then please clarify your position.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/28/12 at 3:05pm

post #57 of 73
Quote:

This is more than a little ridiculous. "World leaders" don't actually send out their own tweets? For shame!

Or people use Twitter to promote their work? Oh my god! The horror!

post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If your intent isn't as I rebutted then please clarify your position.

Sure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has considered an investment in the hundreds of millions of dollars, one that could value Twitter at more than

$10 billion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Please buy Twitter outright, Apple. Thanks

Quote:

Quote:

post #59 of 73
Quote:

Sure:

Mea culpa. I wasn't connecting that presumed value of its worth to Ireland's comment. Thanks for the reply.

post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

What makes you think so?

I don't think so, I know so. I have some sources very close to the matter that told me so. Unnamed of course cause they signed all those NDA thingies.
post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

So the NYSlimes gets it wrong again.  If only the WSJ was less business oriented and more of a regular paper, I'd take it over the Slimes any day.

Actually, the "regular paper" part of WSJ is its best part. It's about as thorough and careful as reporting can possibly be in the US, IMHO.

Their op-ed pages, OTOH, are good for not much more than a chuckle.

post #62 of 73

So now that the story has essentially been debunked, how about deleting it entirely or retitling the story?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I don't think so, I know so. I have some sources very close to the matter that told me so. Unnamed of course cause they signed all those NDA thingies.

If so, this is going to be the end of Apple as we know it...

post #64 of 73
Quote:

Quote:

It takes away real communication, it doesn't have a fundamental good thing in it: it merely is for self-promotion. Something people should do without as one can promote themselves by doing good.

I think the early examples of Asthon Kutcher and Miley Cyrus posting what they're doing and where they are was a turn off for a lot of people. I certainly couldn't see how it would be useful to me or make communication better but there were plenty of intelligent people I respected that loved it so I gave it a shot. I still didn't get it but finally, months later, it clicked.

I forget exactly what it was but I found that it was a tool that could make my life better. A tool that could help me communication better. I forget where he wrote/said this but Stephen Fry, a prolific Twitterer basically said that when you only have 140 characters to make a point you learn to write better. You learn to consolidate and focus your points better. You learn to edit your comments, much like a stand-up comedian might retool a joke to be more concise to make it flow better.

Now that is a personal benefit one might get for posting outside of Twitter (and certainly not one I'm adhering to with this post 😷) but there are plenty of other valuable reasons to use Twitter. For me, the number reason is for news. I use RSS less and less because of Twitter. Being able to skim through recent tweets or recent tweets from a certain name is faster and more efficient than having to scour hundreds of recent RSS feeds to find an article I want to read. It's just fast and convenient. A shortcut to finding more info that interests me.

There are also other benefits like posting something to all your followers, which for me means a few dozen friends as I protect my tweets. It also means seeing what's trending at a given time. When a tragedy strikes Twitter users know first because that will trend. I know what's on the NBC network right now just because of what's trending for the Olympics. A lot of professional bloggers and writers use Twitter to interact with their followers. You can find David Pogue, Arnold Kim, Ricky Gervais, John Gruber, Horace Deidu, Andy Ihnatko and many others responding to users who are commenting on their articles. You can also find them all making comments that they wouldn't have otherwise made a blog or article about.

Darn. Thanks to your reply I am now going to have to read even more. You make valid points, as does Stephan Fry, and I would like to redact my previous post. After reading your view on Twitter I think I'll install their app, create an account and try it out. I understand that RSS has left Safari, possibly Mail.app as well with 10.8 which would have me install a RSS .app/.ipa anyway. Might as well be Twitter then.

This does however mean that my negative remark still stands for the FB part of Social Media. But I'm different as I truly appreciate a telephone call from a friend responding to my photos I posted in my MM Gallery. Much more personal that that friend hitting a 'Like button' on FB.
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Guess signing those NDA thingies means nothing to them...

post #66 of 73

Apple, when you want to do something against Facebook, start with removing all the Facebook integration from your OS. That would make me a lot happier for one. Also, why start to mimic all those other companies that try to keep in the race by mimicking Apple? Stay innovative. For me 'social' media are not a key to success for Apple.

post #67 of 73
Quote:

Darn. Thanks to your reply I am now going to have to read even more. You make valid points, as does Stephan Fry, and I would like to redact my previous post. After reading your view on Twitter I think I'll install their app, create an account and try it out. I understand that RSS has left Safari, possibly Mail.app as well with 10.8 which would have me install a RSS .app/.ipa anyway. Might as well be Twitter then.
This does however mean that my negative remark still stands for the FB part of Social Media. But I'm different as I truly appreciate a telephone call from a friend responding to my photos I posted in my MM Gallery. Much more personal that that friend hitting a 'Like button' on FB.

Not all forms of communication work for everyone. Please don't read my comment as suggesting that everyone should use Twitter.

I used FB in the past but at some point I added some sibling and cousin peers, which is fine because they get my sense of humour. Then I added some other family members and family members of friends when they got on FB and requested to be friends. I certainly couldn't ignore then without seeming rude. Then my mother got on FB and everyone added her but me. I resisted for a long time because I didn't want to deal with a friend or me making a comment that I would than have to explain to my mom. I know FB has since added ways to separate comments into groups but that wasn't the case when I was using it.

It was already difficult enough to have to have consider everyone I'm friends with making a reply. All comments had to be whitewashes as to not offend anyone. That's simply not how humans communicate. We communicate differently to different groups. Not because we're lying but because of other social factors. (I know you know this but I can see certain AI posters suggesting that) I've sense deleted my FB account and eventually created a new one just for family so I can have a tether to the ones I don't talk to but still want to know what is going on in their lives. Unfortunately I never update mine so they don't know what going on in mine.

Twitter is where I communicate with my peers. It's where I post links to articles I find interesting and make stupid comments in a vain attempt at humour. The telephone call I personally dread but that's because I find it less efficient to use. I simply can't do other things at once when on a call but with internet forums, IMs, FB and Twitter I can easily work in communicating with dozens of people per day without having to let go of any other task when I do it. So, what I'm trying to say is "let's talk, but just don't call me." :D

post #68 of 73
Quote:

Oh go on Apple, tweet all over Facebook.
Actually, don't. It serves no benefit to anyone, all this social media stuff. We are loosing contact with what matters. People don't communicate anymore; this SM has got to stop. All poppycock,

I can certainly see that but you can see the counterargument? It wouldn't have been too many decades ago that people would have said the telephone was impersonal when the previous way was a visiting in person. I know as a child I wasn't allowed to simply call a family member to thank them for a gift, I had to write a letter. That tells me it's not the medium that we see as being personal or impersonal, but the effort involved to use the medium. But should that make a difference in what communication is best for a task?

Here's another counter example. I would likely never been able to interact with you had it not been for this forum. I would not be in touch with many of family members if not for FB. Not because I dislike them (quite the opposite) it's just that there are so many other immediate people in my life and I have so little in common with them that a phone call would just be a lot of dead air and forced conversation. If some extended family posts a pic of an accomplishment or vacation I can comment on that. I can have some interaction, however slight, and vice versa.

I say all communication is good but no form is necessarily better or worse, just that they all have their pros and cons. I can't imagine we're more ignorant for being able to share and learn from others around the world who otherwise would have been strangers. For humanity, in the long run, that seems like it can only be a good thing.

“I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.”

post #69 of 73

don't do it!  it's a trap!

post #70 of 73
Quote:

Quote:

Not all forms of communication work for everyone. Please don't read my comment as suggesting that everyone should use Twitter.

I used FB in the past but at some point I added some sibling and cousin peers, which is fine because they get my sense of humour. Then I added some other family members and family members of friends when they got on FB and requested to be friends. I certainly couldn't ignore then without seeming rude. Then my mother got on FB and everyone added her but me. I resisted for a long time because I didn't want to deal with a friend or me making a comment that I would than have to explain to my mom. I know FB has since added ways to separate comments into groups but that wasn't the case when I was using it.

It was already difficult enough to have to have consider everyone I'm friends with making a reply. All comments had to be whitewashes as to not offend anyone. That's simply not how humans communicate. We communicate differently to different groups. Not because we're lying but because of other social factors. (I know you know this but I can see certain AI posters suggesting that) I've sense deleted my FB account and eventually created a new one just for family so I can have a tether to the ones I don't talk to but still want to know what is going on in their lives. Unfortunately I never update mine so they don't know what going on in mine.

Twitter is where I communicate with my peers. It's where I post links to articles I find interesting and make stupid comments in a vain attempt at humour. The telephone call I personally dread but that's because I find it less efficient to use. I simply can't do other things at once when on a call but with internet forums, IMs, FB and Twitter I can easily work in communicating with dozens of people per day without having to let go of any other task when I do it. So, what I'm trying to say is "let's talk, but just don't call me." :D

Wow. Very strong arguments you make. FB I don't use, possibly out of 'fear' of what you have experienced. I fully understand your statement on the telephone. I, strangely enough, hardly ever call someone, yet I feel so much closer to them if we speak on the phone as opposed to IM/email or something. But I'm a cyclist, and instead of calling I 'simply' cycle over. To a friend, 110km away. And if not at home, I'll sent an SMS 'pity, next time!' and 'simply' cycle back home. I'm crazy like that, but if a friend calls I do like to talk. Just don't call them myself that often. Which could be because I also find it difficult to concentrate on the call.

Twitter might be easier. Going to try that. Thanks for your insightful comments.
post #71 of 73
Quote:

Quote:

Oh go on Apple, tweet all over Facebook.
Actually, don't. It serves no benefit to anyone, all this social media stuff. We are loosing contact with what matters. People don't communicate anymore; this SM has got to stop. All poppycock,

I can certainly see that but you can see the counterargument? It wouldn't have been too many decades ago that people would have said the telephone was impersonal when the previous way was a visiting in person. I know as a child I wasn't allowed to simply call a family member to thank them for a gift, I had to write a letter. That tells me it's not the medium that we see as being personal or impersonal, but the effort involved to use the medium. But should that make a difference in what communication is best for a task?

Here's another counter example. I would likely never been able to interact with you had it not been for this forum. I would not be in touch with many of family members if not for FB. Not because I dislike them (quite the opposite) it's just that there are so many other immediate people in my life and I have so little in common with them that a phone call would just be a lot of dead air and forced conversation. If some extended family posts a pic of an accomplishment or vacation I can comment on that. I can have some interaction, however slight, and vice versa.

I say all communication is good but no form is necessarily better or worse, just that they all have their pros and cons. I can't imagine we're more ignorant for being able to share and learn from others around the world who otherwise would have been strangers. For humanity, in the long run, that seems like it can only be a good thing.

“I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.”

As a kid I also had to write a letter. Good practice probably, but not 'straight from the heart' as my parents 'forced me'.

Good counterarguments, closing quote I had to look up, buggers! I wish I could remain in sabbatical status to read more!
post #72 of 73

(1) As long as the pages are served, who cares?

(2) Facebook is more popular than twitter, so I'd guess more.

(3) Dvorak is the Andy Rooney of the tech world, minus the dementia.  I may not always agree with his gruff opinions, but that curmudgeon is more often right than not.

Quote:

1) It's hard to take any site seriously that still use such an archaic manner to name a URL.
2) He starts off my saying that only 30 of the 264 world leaders tweet for themselves. ONLY! ONLY!! How many of them have public Facebook pages or had MySpace pages or LiveJournal pages? The fact that 30 leaders from around the around the world are using Twitter — themselves — to communicate with the world at large shows just how powerful a medium it is.
3) Make no mistake, Twitter is a very useful tool, but if you don't believe me just remember that Dvorak thinks it's going to fail: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1923144,00.asp
post #73 of 73

Under what rock has Mr Dvorak been living? Apple not a software company? They regularly shout: it's about the SOFTWARE, stupid! OK, so they pack it in eye candy hardware... And? You don't put a beautiful woman in rags, do you?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple seeks to invest 'hundreds of millions' in Twitter [u]