or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey - Page 6

post #201 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post


So the fact that very poor people from rural areas China stand in line to work in factories in urban China mean that they have true economic and political freedom? It's like poor southern slaves standing in line at the neighboring plantation because that plantation will beat them slightly less or give them a little extra food at the end of the day. The poor chinese worker cant freely leave china and regardless where they work they are kept poor and powerless under a corrupt government/corporate infrastructure. The fact is that their working conditions are indeed slave-like and regardless of where these poor people work in china they still are far from being free. Where and how a product is made (and by who) is probably more important than where it was designed.

So are all workers in China slaves then? Should the West immediately ban all Chinese products and repatriate industry?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #202 of 265
This same company also called Microsoft's Surface ads with dancing people the "most effective" tablet ads, so I don't consider their research valid.
post #203 of 265
post #204 of 265

John Gruber on his Daring Fireball blog posted about a Business Week article that mentioned this Ace Metrix company. His comment was "Guess who their latest client is?" Yes Ace is bought and paid for my Samsung. Nothing to see here, move along. Their analysis is skewed and suspect.

post #205 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

He may not run it, but he is the #1 creative force at the company.  Jobs set it up so that Jonny answers to no one.  It's natural that his creative spirit is now informing everything Apple does.  Jonny is amazing, but with both Steve gone and Forstall (who was his sparring partner) out of the picture.  It's all Yin and no Yang.
All the rumors after Forstall was let go point to him and Ive not really working together at all. There was one rumor that claimed Ive and Mansfield would only meet with Forstall if Cook was present. Another rumor claimed Forstall never attended any of the hardware design meetings and Ive wasn't involved in any of the software meetings. So I don't really see the ying and yang. My guess is Forstall didn't have any input on hardware design and Ive didn't have much if any input on software design.

Seems pretty clear Jobs kept hardware and software separate and in some cases set things up based on product (i.e having Tony Fadell in charge of the iPod division and not all hardware and Forstall in charge of iOS, not all software). The way Cook has set things up seems to be more functionally based: someone owning hardware, software design and services. Does Ive have too much power at Apple? Maybe but I suspect if that's the way people inside Apple felt we'd be hearing about it. Stuff like that usually gets leaked.
post #206 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Apparently you must not be in manufacturing. Watch this video to give yourself an education how extreme low wages and slavery go hand and hand @

You first. Get yourself an education on cultures around the world.

Those jobs are among the best jobs in China. Every time there's an opening, people line up around the block wanting those jobs - and it's an enormous step up for most of the people working in the factory. It's a choice of backbreaking farm labor or decent, well paid factory labor. The fact that so many people apply for the jobs tells you how the balance ends up.

Applying our standards to China makes no more sense than insisting that the US comply with Netherlands vacation laws or Canada's maternity leave laws, both of which make our standards look pathetic - or make us look like 'slaves' to use your terminology.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #207 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

He may not run it, but he is the #1 creative force at the company.  Jobs set it up so that Jonny answers to no one.  It's natural that his creative spirit is now informing everything Apple does.  Jonny is amazing, but with both Steve gone and Forstall (who was his sparring partner) out of the picture.  It's all Yin and no Yang.

Nah. For one thing, Jony Ive's got a built-in Yang channel he listens to that keeps his Yin side honest: his machinist backgound. A good design is worthless if it can't be made at industrial scale. All of Apple's signature devices lately explore the bleeding edge of manufacturability as much as they do design.

I also imagine Ive and Mansfield have the kind of back and forth can-we-do-this? relationship you're referring to. Mansfield is Yang personified. I absolutely can't imagine that happening with Ive and Forstall. The name of that one would be "counterproductive." Hats off to Tim Cook for seeing this too, if that's indeed what went down.
post #208 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Link?

Right from their own page:

 

Quote:
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA.—May 21, 2012—Ace Metrix™, the new standard in television analytics, today announced Samsung has joined its roster of advertising clients, subscribing to the Ace Metrix LIVE™ platform.  The Company is pleased to have been chosen by Samsung as their method for attaining real-time creative effectiveness measures.  Samsung will leverage the immediate delivery of Ace Scores and the 12,000+ associated data points for every ad in the highly competitive mobile devices category. Samsung will also take advantage of Ace Metrix PRE™ to test ads prior to release, affording them the ability to adjust creative or media placement as a result of detailed demographic, ethnographic, and psychographic data. - See more at: http://www.acemetrix.com/news/press-releases/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/#sthash.SzM6jvih.dpuf
post #209 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

So are all workers in China slaves then? Should the West immediately ban all Chinese products and repatriate industry?

watch the video (if you have a soul).http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KpCn2AGdJh4&feature=player_embedded&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKpCn2AGdJh4%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #210 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsquires View Post

John Gruber on his Daring Fireball blog posted about a Business Week article that mentioned this Ace Metrix company. His comment was "Guess who their latest client is?" Yes Ace is bought and paid for my Samsung. Nothing to see here, move along. Their analysis is skewed and suspect.

 

Denial won't help 1oyvey.gif. Doesn't change facts, it is a boring ad, smug, self indulgent, pretentious, and just overly sentimental, the whole ad is in slow motion, for gods sake ... ok except for one small part where that child is using an ipad in the dark, but even that is slowed down but not as obvious.

 

The WWDC version with the dots is good though, that one is like them commenting about their competition and how or why they do things differently, its even inspiring. Remix that wrong and you get this "we know better" message.

 

(comment edited)


Edited by murman - 6/27/13 at 10:47pm
post #211 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Nah. For one thing, Jony Ive's got a built-in Yang channel he listens to that keeps his Yin side honest: his machinist backgound. A good design is worthless if it can't be made at industrial scale. All of Apple's signature devices lately explore the bleeding edge of manufacturability as much as they do design.

I also imagine Ive and Mansfield have the kind of back and forth can-we-do-this? relationship you're referring to. Mansfield is Yang personified. I absolutely can't imagine that happening with Ive and Forstall. The name of that one would be "counterproductive." Hats off to Tim Cook for seeing this too, if that's indeed what went down.
Hope you're right. Best work is always done when there is a struggle and a deadline.
post #212 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

This ad sucks, pure and simple. The main reason is that it sounds arrogant. "Every idea we touch enhances each life it touches". Really? I guess you've never sat at a Genius Bar and listened to people whose lives aren't enhanced because of shoddy quality control or because they decided to make devices that are as breakable as Baccarat Crystal.

Apple used to be great. Now, they are merely good but they still are trying to convince us%u2014or themselves%u2014that they are still great. Lame ads are not going to do it, unfortunately, only great products will. It's time to get back to that.

 

Your post looks great on a 15" retina display, looks good next to my iPhone 5 which is nine months old, has been dropped a few times and still looks new.

 

Enhancement factor = definite.

 

If you break an S4 screen it costs almost as much as an 8GB iPhone 4 to get fixed, coincidentally it has almost as much usable memory as said 16GB S4.

 

Lame posts from Samsung shills will not convince me otherwise.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #213 of 265
I like the ad, obvious opus why it failed but still it shows that they just won't your $$ (hmm. Samsung) but want your smile with it, and for the few that read it it is good.
post #214 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Your post looks great on a 15" retina display, looks good next to my iPhone 5 which is nine months old, has been dropped a few times and still looks new.

Enhancement factor = definite.

If you break an S4 screen it costs almost as much as an 8GB iPhone 4, to get fixed coincidentally it has almost as much usable memory as said 16GB S4.

Lame posts from Samsung shills will not convince me otherwise.
The truth is that Apple products are great and the advertising has lost it's way. Maybe time to let a new agency give it a go or for Lee Clow to step up and re-think the TBWA work. But then again, maybe Apple is not listening to TBWA and sending things creatively down this miserable road?
post #215 of 265
Interesting timing given that Samsung became one of Ace Metrix's clients only a month ago: http://www.acemetrix.com/news/press-releases/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/

[Edit: I didn't see the previous posts about this, and I can't delete this post, so I guess I'll go ahead and keep it here.]
post #216 of 265
Um, I really liked the commercial and actually got goosebumps and cried a few times while watching it. I think it was to the Apple standard and everything they said was true, with out having to compare their product to another or make jokes about the competition. I fully stand behind Apple and THANK GOD for sites like this to keep me informed. This is my newspaper lol.
post #217 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post

Interesting timing given that Samsung became one of Ace Metrix's clients only a month ago: 

 

If it was just them saying Apple's ads were not the best these days, that'd be one thing.

 

However, there has been a sequence of advertising observers over the past year who have given top marks to Samsung ads and lower marks to Apple's ad agency attempts.  Which is understandable, considering flops like the "Genius" series of ads.

 

A few months back, even the creator of the "iMac" name and the "Think Different" ad talked about the situation:

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/26/think-different-ad-creator-believes-latest-samsung-ads-are-getting-the-best-of-apple

 

As for the "Designed in California" ad, AdWeek gave it bad marks as well.

 

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-apple-150192

 

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  It's not a conspiracy when the ad isn't that great and people say so.  Yet at the same time, it's also okay that some fans liked it.

post #218 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

This ad sucks, pure and simple. The main reason is that it sounds arrogant. "Every idea we touch enhances each life it touches". Really? I guess you've never sat at a Genius Bar and listened to people whose lives aren't enhanced because of shoddy quality control or because they decided to make devices that are as breakable as Baccarat Crystal.

Apple used to be great. Now, they are merely good but they still are trying to convince us%u2014or themselves%u2014that they are still great. Lame ads are not going to do it, unfortunately, only great products will. It's time to get back to that.

You clearly don't get it... Great products are the only thing that Apple produces, name one that isn't.
post #219 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

...top marks to Samsung ads...

 

 

Well given that Samsung is currently spending more on advertising than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft and Coca Cola combined, you'd expect advertising agencies would be talking them up, in the hope of getting their hooks into some of that sweet, sweet $4.38 Billion.

 

Samsung, taking hype to the next level and then some.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #220 of 265

Personally I think the ads are pretty good, and I like them a lot.  They remind me a little bit of the 'think different' days.  They focus on the qualities that make Apple different as a company, and that drive the creation of these products that people love so much.  And I so admire those ideas, and those qualities;  It almost hurts me to see these because frankly I don't think the company actually reflects these values right now.

 

What kills me about these ads is that they seem to be paying lip service to an ethic that isn't really in place anymore; kind of like the company is putting together and codifying their understanding of what it is they aspire to be... but have somehow forgotten how to actually be.  

 

If it is really all about the experience of a product, then I just can't reconcile that notion with the direction Apple is taking with IOS7... Because frankly, IOS7 is boring, uninspiring, and generally just a crappy experience to use.  Does it work?  Yeah.  Is it fun, and engaging?  No.  It is just plain vanilla utilitarian and there isn't much about it that makes it seem much more than just barely interesting.  It is so bare and so lean that it's like a tree in the winter; you get the idea that there is something beautiful in there somewhere... but right now, it's just not able to get through.  It's sleeping.  And someone will argue that the tree is actually starkly beautiful in that state, and there may be some truth to that; some photographer might capture the essence of that in some brilliant moment and we would all wow and clap.  But in reality, our daily experience of that tree would be dull, and dreary, and maybe even a little bit depressing.  And without the brilliance of that photographer, we would all walk right past that stark, empty tree and barely even pay it notice.  

 

I was at a state park a while back, and they have these restrooms that are just bare utilitarian.  Stainless steel commode.  Concrete floor.  Block walls.  Almost no adornment at all; pure function.  And they work - they get the job done.  Some could argue that there is some sort of elegance in their utilitarianism; that their design is honest and without pretention.  But the thing is, using one is just yucky - it just sucks.  That's how IOS7 feels.  It gets the job done, but honestly the experience just stinks; it is unpleasant, and has no flourish.

 

What alarms me about Apple is that they seem to have concluded that in UI design, the user experience is equivalent to the function, and that anything that is not brutally and directly related to the pure function is awful and adds nothing to the experience... and that's just not true.  Form and function intersect and inform each other, but in no way are they equivalent.  And contrary to what Apple says, I think many users will find IOS7 to be a gigantic step backward in their enjoyment of the device.  And if I don't really want to use my Apple device, what's to keep me plugged in to all those Apple services everyone talks about?  And if I don't really like the experience of an Apple device any more than some other device... what exactly is there to get me to buy one, or to keep me buying new ones?  

 

Not a heck of a lot.

 

And that's just sad.

post #221 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsquires View Post

John Gruber on his Daring Fireball blog posted about a Business Week article that mentioned this Ace Metrix company. His comment was "Guess who their latest client is?" Yes Ace is bought and paid for my Samsung. Nothing to see here, move along. Their analysis is skewed and suspect.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the Ace Metrix survey rated the Microsoft 'Click' advert as more effective.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57591257-71/apples-ads-failing-says-firm-that-called-surface-ads-effective/

Even after MS was forced to dump thousands of Surface machines into the education system.
post #222 of 265
post #223 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3nrch View Post

Or just keep it simple, beautiful, and human:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVW62mwSQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDUKt_XgfJ4
 

 

I think these ads are beautiful.

post #224 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Personally I think the ads are pretty good, and I like them a lot.  They remind me a little bit of the 'think different' days.  They focus on the qualities that make Apple different as a company, and that drive the creation of these products that people love so much.  And I so admire those ideas, and those qualities;  It almost hurts me to see these because frankly I don't think the company actually reflects these values right now.

 

What kills me about these ads is that they seem to be paying lip service to an ethic that isn't really in place anymore; kind of like the company is putting together and codifying their understanding of what it is they aspire to be... but have somehow forgotten how to actually be.  

 

If it is really all about the experience of a product, then I just can't reconcile that notion with the direction Apple is taking with IOS7... Because frankly, IOS7 is boring, uninspiring, and generally just a crappy experience to use.  Does it work?  Yeah.  Is it fun, and engaging?  No.  It is just plain vanilla utilitarian and there isn't much about it that makes it seem much more than just barely interesting.  It is so bare and so lean that it's like a tree in the winter; you get the idea that there is something beautiful in there somewhere... but right now, it's just not able to get through.  It's sleeping.  And someone will argue that the tree is actually starkly beautiful in that state, and there may be some truth to that; some photographer might capture the essence of that in some brilliant moment and we would all wow and clap.  But in reality, our daily experience of that tree would be dull, and dreary, and maybe even a little bit depressing.  And without the brilliance of that photographer, we would all walk right past that stark, empty tree and barely even pay it notice.  

 

I was at a state park a while back, and they have these restrooms that are just bare utilitarian.  Stainless steel commode.  Concrete floor.  Block walls.  Almost no adornment at all; pure function.  And they work - they get the job done.  Some could argue that there is some sort of elegance in their utilitarianism; that their design is honest and without pretention.  But the thing is, using one is just yucky - it just sucks.  That's how IOS7 feels.  It gets the job done, but honestly the experience just stinks; it is unpleasant, and has no flourish.

 

What alarms me about Apple is that they seem to have concluded that in UI design, the user experience is equivalent to the function, and that anything that is not brutally and directly related to the pure function is awful and adds nothing to the experience... and that's just not true.  Form and function intersect and inform each other, but in no way are they equivalent.  And contrary to what Apple says, I think many users will find IOS7 to be a gigantic step backward in their enjoyment of the device.  And if I don't really want to use my Apple device, what's to keep me plugged in to all those Apple services everyone talks about?  And if I don't really like the experience of an Apple device any more than some other device... what exactly is there to get me to buy one, or to keep me buying new ones?  

 

Not a heck of a lot.

 

And that's just sad.

 

This kind of assumes that you are right and Apple is wrong. Unfortunately, you haven't really presented any evidence for your expertise in design. On the other hand, Apple is sitting on a hundred billion quid whereas you, I suspect, are sitting on considerably less. 

 

Personally, I like the direction they're going in: the UI that gets out of your way. This is not the phone for folk who just like staring at pretty things on screens all day long. The icons are a work in progress, obviously.

 

I'm pretty indifferent about the ad, but then it's not aimed at me. It looks like it's an answer to the whiners who think that Apple should build them this, or build them that, or have a phone with a 20inch screen that can still fit in a jacket pocket. All it says is, "Look, it'll take as long as it takes." 

 

Love the armchair technologists who think that Apple came up with the iPad overnight. It was in development for the better part of a decade, before the iPhone was released. I imagine most of that time was spent examining every single crappy tablet that came before it so they could understand why no one bought them.

post #225 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Personally I think the ads are pretty good, and I like them a lot.  They remind me a little bit of the 'think different' days.  They focus on the qualities that make Apple different as a company, and that drive the creation of these products that people love so much.  And I so admire those ideas, and those qualities;  It almost hurts me to see these because frankly I don't think the company actually reflects these values right now.

 

What kills me about these ads is that they seem to be paying lip service to an ethic that isn't really in place anymore; kind of like the company is putting together and codifying their understanding of what it is they aspire to be... but have somehow forgotten how to actually be.  

 

If it is really all about the experience of a product, then I just can't reconcile that notion with the direction Apple is taking with IOS7... Because frankly, IOS7 is boring, uninspiring, and generally just a crappy experience to use.  Does it work?  Yeah.  Is it fun, and engaging?  No.  It is just plain vanilla utilitarian and there isn't much about it that makes it seem much more than just barely interesting.  It is so bare and so lean that it's like a tree in the winter; you get the idea that there is something beautiful in there somewhere... but right now, it's just not able to get through.  It's sleeping.  And someone will argue that the tree is actually starkly beautiful in that state, and there may be some truth to that; some photographer might capture the essence of that in some brilliant moment and we would all wow and clap.  But in reality, our daily experience of that tree would be dull, and dreary, and maybe even a little bit depressing.  And without the brilliance of that photographer, we would all walk right past that stark, empty tree and barely even pay it notice.  

 

I was at a state park a while back, and they have these restrooms that are just bare utilitarian.  Stainless steel commode.  Concrete floor.  Block walls.  Almost no adornment at all; pure function.  And they work - they get the job done.  Some could argue that there is some sort of elegance in their utilitarianism; that their design is honest and without pretention.  But the thing is, using one is just yucky - it just sucks.  That's how IOS7 feels.  It gets the job done, but honestly the experience just stinks; it is unpleasant, and has no flourish.

 

What alarms me about Apple is that they seem to have concluded that in UI design, the user experience is equivalent to the function, and that anything that is not brutally and directly related to the pure function is awful and adds nothing to the experience... and that's just not true.  Form and function intersect and inform each other, but in no way are they equivalent.  And contrary to what Apple says, I think many users will find IOS7 to be a gigantic step backward in their enjoyment of the device.  And if I don't really want to use my Apple device, what's to keep me plugged in to all those Apple services everyone talks about?  And if I don't really like the experience of an Apple device any more than some other device... what exactly is there to get me to buy one, or to keep me buying new ones?  

 

Not a heck of a lot.

 

And that's just sad.

The future of iOS will be engaging in other ways.  I can't believe that faux leathe, green felt and gloss were what got people buying Apple devices.  Plus the iOS experience isn't just via Apple's stock apps.  Lets's wait and see what developers do with the new API's they have.

post #226 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

 

This kind of assumes that you are right and Apple is wrong. Unfortunately, you haven't really presented any evidence for your expertise in design. On the other hand, Apple is sitting on a hundred billion quid whereas you, I suspect, are sitting on considerably less. 

 

Personally, I like the direction they're going in: the UI that gets out of your way. This is not the phone for folk who just like staring at pretty things on screens all day long. The icons are a work in progress, obviously.

 

I'm pretty indifferent about the ad, but then it's not aimed at me. It looks like it's an answer to the whiners who think that Apple should build them this, or build them that, or have a phone with a 20inch screen that can still fit in a jacket pocket. All it says is, "Look, it'll take as long as it takes." 

 

Love the armchair technologists who think that Apple came up with the iPad overnight. It was in development for the better part of a decade, before the iPhone was released. I imagine most of that time was spent examining every single crappy tablet that came before it so they could understand why no one bought them.

Obviously there are people who like skeuomorphic type design.  That's fine, except when they tell us other designs aren't useable.  Last time I checked millions of people are using Android and Windows products without any issues.  This idea that you have to have a richly textured 3D like button to know something is clickable is absurd.  I don't need a digital compass to look like some artists rendering of a compass you'd find on a boat.  Or a contacts app that looks like a physical book, yet you don't swipe left & right to flip through your contacts like you would pages of a book.  It's pure visual ornamentation that serves no purpose and in some cases is confusing.  Maybe some of this made sense when people were just learning how to use multi touch devices or when screens weren't retina.  But I don't think they're needed now.  Apple is finally taking off the training wheels.  It will take them awhile to perfect the new iOS.  Just like it took time with OSX.

post #227 of 265
Here's an intersting blog posting from a developer on how app developers respond to iOS 7.

http://tapity.com/iphone-app-design/responding-to-ios-7/

One intersting thing he wrote:
Quote:
Despite my initial fears, I actually really enjoy using iOS 7 on a daily basis. I still have some complaints about several visual design choices but you have to remember, Apple has only been working on this for a matter of months. That’s pretty insane. I mean, it takes us at least a year to put out a single app, let alone an entire operating system!

So give them a break. I talked to a number of folks at Apple. They understand that this thing isn’t finished yet and they want our feedback (feel free to email me and I’ll pass it along). It’s only going to get better.
post #228 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well given that Samsung is currently spending more on advertising than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft and Coca Cola combined, you'd expect advertising agencies would be talking them up, in the hope of getting their hooks into some of that sweet, sweet $4.38 Billion.

 

Why would any ad agency say nice things about a competitor's ads?

 

It's not ad agencies who are talking them up.  It's the ad analysts.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsquires View Post

John Gruber on his Daring Fireball blog posted about a Business Week article that mentioned this Ace Metrix company. His comment was "Guess who their latest client is?" Yes Ace is bought and paid for my Samsung. Nothing to see here, move along. Their analysis is skewed and suspect.

 

Ace Metrix doesn't make ads.   They analyze ads.  The mass consumer has no idea what they think, but companies want to.

 

Samsung signed up with Ace Metrix, as did other companies, to have them look at their current and future ads and predict how well they'll do with consumers, so the ads can be fine tuned.

 

Considering that Apple's ads over the last year or two have been a bit hit or miss, perhaps Apple should sign up with them (or someone like them) as well.  In fact, if you think about it, that's pretty much what Ace is trying to get them to do, by saying "We can tell you why your ad is good or bad".


Edited by KDarling - 6/28/13 at 5:49am
post #229 of 265

I don't know what's more surprising, that we made it through almost 4 pages before someone pointed out that the "survey" was conducted by a company working for Samsung, or that the discussion even continued past that point.

 

What's not surprising is that KDarling is trying to explain that away.

post #230 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post


So the fact that very poor people from rural areas China stand in line to work in factories in urban China mean that they have true economic and political freedom? It's like poor southern slaves standing in line at the neighboring plantation because that plantation will beat them slightly less or give them a little extra food at the end of the day. The poor chinese worker cant freely leave china and regardless where they work they are kept poor and powerless under a corrupt government/corporate infrastructure. The fact is that their working conditions are indeed slave-like and regardless of where these poor people work in china they still are far from being free. Where and how a product is made (and by who) is probably more important than where it was designed.

 

When it comes to Mcluhan, his focus that it was the 'method' in which people communicate and entertain themselves was more influential on the masses in general than the actual 'content' of the communication or entertainment. So that the actual act of reading (long form books) changes a person's neurology more than the actual content on the printed page. A 'reading brain' is a more contemplative one and more capable of complex thoughts which eventually led to the rise of Western Culture and modern-day science. On the other hand, Mcluhan clearly pointed out that TV and mass-media were going to re-tribalize human society and make them less individualistic, less intelligent and more prone to group-think.

 

So, where did the clothes you are wearing come from?

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #231 of 265
I wonder if things closely allied with California produce positive vibes anymore? Apple can't say "Made in America" anymore, so they opted for second best by aligning themselves with California.

So I understand why they did this. Unfortunately California may be a poor representative of the US in many people's minds (I was raised in San Diego!).
post #232 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't know what's more surprising, that we made it through almost 4 pages before someone pointed out that the "survey" was conducted by a company working for Samsung, or that the discussion even continued past that point.

 

What's not surprising is that KDarling is trying to explain that away.

 

I noticed that as well. Samsung is guilty of hiring people to post fake reviews, why in the hell wouldn't you take ANYTHING they're involved in with a grain of salt, unless you're just another paid shill? Honestly, people seem to make up almost anything these days, especially when it comes to Apple, why would this be any different? I'd be willing to bet that along with the payment for services, Samsung also supplied a list of 500 consumers for the "sample group". LOL

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #233 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't know what's more surprising, that we made it through almost 4 pages before someone pointed out that the "survey" was conducted by a company working for Samsung, or that the discussion even continued past that point.

What's not surprising is that KDarling is trying to explain that away.
How much do we know about Ace Metrix anyway? All of a sudden they're the arbiter of what makes a good ad or not?
post #234 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

 

 

 

Name calling really drives your attempted point home. Not. 

 

Calling someone "ignorant" is not name calling.

 

Ignorance means being misinformed without the willingness to learn the truth.

 

I didn't call him a stupid Xsshole. That would've been name calling.

 

This is the problem with people today... we've become numb to violence in the world, but using a word that properly defines someone's attitude towards a subject is horrible. I don't get it?

 

 

 


Furthermore, comparing slavery - where people can be caged, beating, tortured, killed, raped without repercussions or guilt - to Chinese labor issues at Apple's suppliers is IGNORANT and WRONG! You're belittling what true slavery actually was.

Edited by mjtomlin - 6/28/13 at 8:06am
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #235 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux Kapono View Post

IMO it would have scored much better had they left out 'In California', which pretty much explicitly leaves out every other state.

Guess what? Apple is in California. So are its employees. And its designers.

WHAT A FLIPPING CONCEPT. 1oyvey.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

I guess you've never sat at a Genius Bar and listened to people whose lives aren't enhanced because of shoddy quality control or because they decided to make devices that are as breakable as Baccarat Crystal.

Your complete inability to comprehend the ad ≠ "the ad sucks"
Quote:
Apple used to be great.

So shut up and go away, then, since you don't seem to understand what you're talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post

Doesn't change facts...

Maybe if you posted even ONE fact, you'd get one more person to agree with you. 1oyvey.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Calling someone "ignorant" is not name calling. Ignorance means being misinformed without the willingness to learn the truth. I didn't call him a stupid Xsshole. That would've been name calling.

Plus twelve million. Oh, except it's idiocy. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge and should be corrected, idiocy is the WILLFUL lack of knowledge and should be mocked.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #236 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I noticed that as well. Samsung is guilty of hiring people to post fake reviews, why in the hell wouldn't you take ANYTHING they're involved in with a grain of salt, unless you're just another paid shill? 

 

We can all legitimately wear a tin foil hat at times.  But it helps for a conspiracy claim to at least make sense.

 

You're claiming that Samsung is bribing an ad survey firm to say that this Apple ad is not perfect, right?

 

First off, there are other sources saying the same thing, so such bribery seems like wasted money.  And it's a poor bribe that only lowers the ad score a bit, instead of really dropping it.  But more importantly --

 

What would be the point?   To encourage Apple to come up with a better ad?

post #237 of 265
In another thread about this ad I was chastised because I said the ad was really bad and pointless. Now a testing agency finds that it tests far below average. So to those of you who claimed you knew better than me, it seems you really don't know about writing advertising copy or creating effective video advertisements. Your clients must not come back for repeat business or perhaps they don't know that you aren't making effective ads for them.

I'm in the internet advertising business. My job is ad copy and video production. I'm familiar with a lot of split testing. I've seen what gets results. Those results are quantified by clicks and sales. The "Signature" ad did nothing to cause the viewer to take action. It was just bad on numerous levels. It was pretty though.
Edited by Smallwheels - 6/28/13 at 9:02am
post #238 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post


Don't be stupid, watch the video (if you have a soul).http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KpCn2AGdJh4&feature=player_embedded&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKpCn2AGdJh4%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

Firstly post reported. Secondly if you believe that all Chinese workers are slaves the moral onus is on you to support to bringing all manufacturing back to the West thirdly I systematically destroyed your accusations of slavery in a previous post. Low pay is not skavery. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #239 of 265

Maybe a lot of people don't like California?

post #240 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

We can all legitimately wear a tin foil hat at times.  But it helps for a conspiracy claim to at least make sense.

You're claiming that Samsung is bribing an ad survey firm to say that this Apple ad is not perfect, right?


First off, there are other sources saying the same thing, so such bribery seems like wasted money.  And it's a poor bribe that only lowers the ad score a bit, instead of really dropping it.  But more importantly --

What would be the point?   To encourage Apple to come up with a better ad?

Sammy has paid celebs to denounce Apple. I wouldn't put it past them to pay for negative Apple reports.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey