or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Rumor: Apple may announce 'some sort of television product' as soon as November
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple may announce 'some sort of television product' as soon as November

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
It may not be a full-fledged television set, but Apple could announce some sort of TV-related product later this year with enhanced control functionality, a new rumor claims.

Apple TV


The details were shared by former TechCrunch reporter and venture capitalist MG Siegler on the latest episode of John Gruber's The Talk Show. In a segment toward the end of the show, first noted by Business Insider, Sigler said he's heard there's a possibility that Apple could announce an unexpected television-related product later this year.

"The latest things I've heard are some sort of television product ? not necessarily a television screen, but something ? could be coming as soon as this November," he said. "And I think there's some surprises there about what it could actually be. And I don't know for sure what it could actually be, but there's been whispers about? the interaction with it being the interesting thing."

Some earlier reports had claimed that Apple was working on a full-fledged television set with Siri voice controls. But Siegler suggested that voice control may be "out the window," and that Apple is working on "some new way to interact with whatever this thing is."

Rumors of an Apple television set have persisted for years, but picked up steam in late 2011, when biographer Walter Isaacson revealed that late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had said he felt he "cracked" the secret to a simple television set. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook added fuel to the fire last year when he said in an interview that current television sets make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years."

Despite those comments, there haven't been any concrete rumors of an Apple television arriving this year. Still, some such as analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, a longtime proponent of an Apple television, have maintained their prediction that Apple will announce such a product this year.

In one of the more incredible rumors about an Apple television, Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets reported in April that he had heard from supply chain sources that Apple was planning to release a TV set with an "iRing" controller accessory this year. White claimed that Apple was working on a ring-shaped accessory that would allow a user to control their TV set by pointing their finger.

The company's current initiative is driven by the Apple TV set-top box, offering streaming content from iTunes and other sources like Netflix and Hulu. Apple has steadily added features to that product, and is even expected to enable live streaming television for Time Warner Cable subscribers in the near future.

The Apple TV hardware hasn't seen a major update since March of 2012, adding support for 1080p high-definition content with a faster A5 chip. That model was given a slight tweak earlier this year, when Apple quietly shipped an updated model with a slightly smaller A5 chip.
post #2 of 69

ok, was hearing about it on stock trades chats.  thanks

post #3 of 69
I've never been taken by Apple producing its own television-the parameter such as sizes would swamp the Apple Store. Better to have some gizmo that either works with sets as they now sit, or a gizmo and some innards TV producers pay Apple to add to new sets.

The remote? might be called HDULTA (hu-dool'-ta)~ How Do yoU Like Them Apples.1smoking.gif
Edited by mhikl - 8/16/13 at 8:21am

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #4 of 69
Hey, Gene Munster! Apple just might be getting closer to making your years long inaccurate television predictions a reality!!
post #5 of 69
Yeah, MG Siegler "heard" all of those rumors from Munster. LOL!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 69
Some sort of TV product from Apple - the logical thing would be an Apple TV update, but perhaps a bigger one than usual, maybe with camera to enable gesture control.
post #7 of 69
My instinct says this is not happening this year. And my heart says I want this to be an actual TV.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

I've never been taken by Apple producing its own television-the parameter such as sizes would swamp the Apple Store. Better to have some gizmo that either works with sets as they now sit, or a gizmo and some innards TV producers pay Apple to add to new sets.

The remote? might be called HDULTA (hu-dool'-ta)~ How Do yoU Like Them Apples.1smoking.gif

 

Personnaly, what I would do is make a few different size moniters that could receive an Apple TV "thunderbolt stick" device on the back.  The "brains" of the TV would be a stick so you can upgrade it later on. This would allows neat setups without a separate box.

 

I would do the following monitors that could be used for both TV and the mac pro:

27" retina IGZO 4K monitor

40" 4k LCD/LED monitor

 

I would wait for those panels to lower in price before introducing bigger size monitor.

40" 4k IGZO monitor

50" 4k IGZO monitor

60" 4k IGZO monitor

 

For current TV sets, I would continu to make a separate box like the current Apple TV


Edited by herbapou - 8/16/13 at 8:47am
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My instinct says this is not happening this year. And my heart says I want this to be an actual TV.

 

I am hoping the current Apple Tv will get a major revamp this year, with gaming and TV features.

post #10 of 69
Maybe it's the iController!
A device that can be used as an AppleTV remote, but, when held sideways, can act as a game controller.
Could be ....
post #11 of 69
The rumours on this seem to be backing themselves into a corner. They've already ruled out almost everything that's possible or makes sense in favour of what is coming across as some sort of "magic."

It can only be disappointing when the assumed 6 dimensional portal enabled magic pony with bucket seats doesn't appear.
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The rumours on this seem to be backing themselves into a corner. They've already ruled out almost everything that's possible or makes sense in favour of what is coming across as some sort of "magic."

It can only be disappointing when the assumed 6 dimensional portal enabled magic pony with bucket seats doesn't appear.

 

If we see an increase in resolution with the iphone 5s, imo this will be a hint that a bigger iphone is coming and that the iphone apps could be ported into the Apple TV. The 5s resolution could be a major spoil of upcomming hardware, especially if its 1080p

post #13 of 69
An interesting rumour - I hope there's some truth in it. I think Apple needs something more than iPhone/iPad/Mac and software updates this year - something to add a bit more zest to proceedings, a bit more excitement...maybe this is it?
post #14 of 69

Airplay dongle?

post #15 of 69

Better not BE a TV… But a non-hobby Apple TV would kill everything.

 

Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post
Maybe it's the iController! A device that can be used as an AppleTV remote, but, when held sideways, can act as a game controller. Could be ....

 

Yeah, it's called an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #16 of 69

I'm not holding my breath.

post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Personnaly, what I would do is make a few different size moniters that could receive an Apple TV "thunderbolt stick" device on the back.  The "brains" of the TV would be a stick so you can upgrade it later on. This would allows neat setups without a separate box.

I would do the following monitors that could be used for both TV and the mac pro:
27" retina IGZO 4K monitor
40" 4k LCD/LED monitor

I would wait for those panels to lower in price before introducing bigger size monitor.
40" 4k IGZO monitor
50" 4k IGZO monitor
60" 4k IGZO monitor

For current TV sets, I would continu to make a separate box like the current Apple TV
Good points. 2 sizes seems manageable. But think the loot AAPL could yank in if every manufacturer bought some proprietary innards and remote from Apple. Less cost and a lesser 'gambol' 1smile.gif on Apple's part.

Either way, 'Go Apple, Go!

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Better not BE a TV… But a non-hobby Apple TV would kill everything.

 

 

Yeah, it's called an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

 

imo even an ipod touch is too expensive.  For a touch based TV controller I would used a pressure sensitive screen, so you can press and hold then release. They should design one especially for the TV and not relay on the ithings.

 

 

and those are horrible game controllers for a game console. This is why they made a API for controllers with real buttons.

post #19 of 69
Well, it could be the iRing remote controller Brian White "heard" about.

This analyst, along with Gene Munster, have made it way too easy to get great laughs from the rumors that they have pushed out to the public.

Amazingly, they have somehow managed to maintain enough credibility that allows them to continue pushing out garbage.

I wonder why none of the interviewers ever ask them about how often they are wrong. :-)))
post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

I am hoping the current Apple Tv will get a major revamp this year, with gaming and TV features.

We're always on the same page about this stuff herb.  I, too, am hoping for a revamped model.  Being a full-fledged set-top box would be fantastic (so I can drop those power hungry and hot Uverse boxes)

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #21 of 69

An Apple TV with 4K resolution and a blu-ray disc drive would be most appreciated. 1biggrin.gif

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #22 of 69
They need gaming integration and some version of a body motion sensor would be a natural for them. Besides mere catch-up with that, maybe they can leap-frog.
post #23 of 69

iTunes needs a step-up to HD program to let me update my old SD movies. 

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #24 of 69
Everyone talks about Apple putting their Apple TV technology into a TV panel. But what if Apple did the reverse and just slapped a projector into the existing size of the Apple TV box. It's almost the size of a mini-projector. And it probably wouldn't need to be that much bigger to be a very high-quality projector. So just skip the whole TV set manufacturing.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Siegler suggested that voice control may be "out the window," and that Apple is working on "some new way to interact with whatever this thing is."

 

iWatch

post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

An interesting rumour - I hope there's some truth in it. I think Apple needs something more than iPhone/iPad/Mac and software updates this year - something to add a bit more zest to proceedings, a bit more excitement...maybe this is it?

Maybe Mac Pro? Remember, Apple also produces computers.
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

Personnaly, what I would do is make a few different size moniters that could receive an Apple TV "thunderbolt stick" device on the back.  The "brains" of the TV would be a stick so you can upgrade it later on. This would allows neat setups without a separate box.

 

I would do the following monitors that could be used for both TV and the mac pro:

27" retina IGZO 4K monitor

40" 4k LCD/LED monitor

 

I would wait for those panels to lower in price before introducing bigger size monitor.

40" 4k IGZO monitor

50" 4k IGZO monitor

60" 4k IGZO monitor

 

For current TV sets, I would continu to make a separate box like the current Apple TV

The thunderbolt stick makes little sense in that space.   just a HDMI/mDP adapter off of the current AppleTV would do.

 

The challenge (unless Apple has already come up with a effective means to get all Local TV stations and cable companies to broadcast livestream via the Apple cloud), is local and live content through non-Internet inputs (and/or Apple Competitors [e.g. cable companies])

 

The ISSUE with Apple TV now is the seamless integration with all the variations of 'live' TV programming, and/or capturing access to their digital livestreams, and their digital archives [last week's Local Access Channel Baseball game between Mount Valley HS and Sister RalphMary's Hebrew Prep]

 

The SOLUTION is a method where AppleTV can intercept/learn/control your TV's 'Other' inputs and present a single navigation point for your viewing entertainment.

The jobs of such a device

"What's on TV NOW[in the future] that interesting to ME?"

"I want to watch content XXXXXX[SEASON YYYY... EPISODE ZZZZZ].... what are my options to view [source, quality, cost]? and let me choose..."

"I really like actor ASHTON KUTCHER.... list all the content options I can view of him"

"Remind me when TEAM A  plays TEAM B.... Where is it being shown in this digital wasteland [source cost quality] and DVR[in the cloud] it in case I miss it"

"What would I like to watch?"

 

That last one is Matcha.TV

 

It's best in the TV... A cable input, a DVD player with HDMI back channel controls connection, an HDMI or ThunderBolt connection out (dual screen controls)

all controlled by the 'Apple Remote' technologies

 

But in reality, I think TV manufacturers will need to go through a "Ford Sync" moment, and acquiesce to a 'iOS for the TV' interface standard, which allows all the TV settings be controlled via the Apple TV remote (either another iOS device, or Apples 4 button remote).  They make a TV, Apple makes the STB, once connected, the TV becomes a 'monitor' fully controlled by AppleTV SW (power, configuration, sound).

 

So... in essense, I see the inverse of "iOS in the Car" as the model for Apples TV engagement.  Instead of building a car to run an iPhone, we ask TV manufacturers to build a TV that can be fully controlled by an external box.

 

Of course, it's all about the cable companies.... Steve said so in the beginning.  1000's of cable MONOPOLIES in the US alone... It took iPhone 5 years to get all 4 Major US cell companies to play... and it's EASY to switch between phone carriers... The only way to get Time Warner Cable in Minneapolis is to move to Bloomington....  that will slow adoption;-)

 

Answer... It's likely to start via Satellite.

 

As for the primary topic... Once I see a 75ohm connector on the AppleTV box, then I know they are moving out of the 'hobby' mode.   If that comes this year... Apple is serious.

post #28 of 69
Will it have IGZO?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 69
I don't think Apple is coming out with a TV and screen. As I posted yesterday, If you read between the lines Apple acquisition of Matcha hints at Steve's "secret sauce". Think of Apple TV as iTune's Match for your television.

The key is it's "genre-centric"! So if you like Poker After Dark, Dexter, and Charlie Rose, you tell Siri and Apple TV creates 3 customs channels. That's my vision of Steve's vision.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

They need gaming integration and some version of a body motion sensor would be a natural for them. Besides mere catch-up with that, maybe they can leap-frog.

'need'?  

 

TV is not full body gaming... Not for the mass market... at least not yet.  See xBox for the profit... it's not a growth market. 

post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I don't think Apple is coming out with a TV and screen. As I posted yesterday, If you read between the lines Apple acquisition of Matcha hints at Steve's "secret sauce". Think of Apple TV as iTune's Match for your television.

The key is it's "genre-centric"! So if you like Poker After Dark, Dexter, and Charlie Rose, you tell Siri and Apple TV creates 3 customs channels. That's my vision of Steve's vision.

It's like iTunes Genius.  Match... no.

post #32 of 69
"Apple may announce some sort of TV thing as the war for the living room heats up"

There. Fixed that for ya! 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

If we see an increase in resolution with the iphone 5s, imo this will be a hint that a bigger iphone is coming and that the iphone apps could be ported into the Apple TV. The 5s resolution could be a major spoil of upcomming hardware, especially if its 1080p

 

No offence, but this seems silly to me. 

 

- increase of resolution on the 5s is not going to happen because ...

- no current rumours of resolution increase on 5s even though release is a few weeks away. 

- makes no difference to AppleTV anyway as "porting" apps to the TV is also never going to happen (different device types & purposes)

- 1080p on iPhone is a boondoggle that makes no sense at all unless phone is physically bigger

- bigger iPhone not going to happen in general (smaller iPad more likely)

- Apps already work on AppleTV

- aspect ratio of TV screen and iPhone is already the same (movies & landscape apps)

 

There's probably some other stuff wrong with this conception but I'm tired now ...

post #34 of 69
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
An Apple TV with 4K resolution and a blu-ray disc drive would be most appreciated. 1biggrin.gif

 

It's as though you don't have a clue what company you're talking about.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's as though you don't have a clue what company you're talking about.

Sony?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My instinct says this is not happening this year. And my heart says I want this to be an actual TV.

Yeah, not sure instinct has to do with it. You probably mean your intuition 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post


Good points. 2 sizes seems manageable. But think the loot AAPL could yank in if every manufacturer bought some proprietary innards and remote from Apple. Less cost and a lesser 'gambol' 1smile.gif on Apple's part.

Either way, 'Go Apple, Go!

 

I think it's gonna be 'iOS for the TV'  (like iOS in the Car, only in reverse)  less than licensing the HW into TVs... a Bad TV with AppleTV built in will be a black eye on Apple.  A TV with a bad code to let Apple TV talk to it, that's a bad TV manufacturer.

 

What the consumer wants (not the videophile), is a point/click/drool interface to fully engage all your componentry and the hidden information.

a very dumb TV that is turned on when the Apple TV is activated, sound controled from the apple TV interface (silver remote or iOS app on an iPhone), and either a 75ohm NTSC/PAL cable connector, OR, the ability to 'scan' the channels on your TV [and/or the ability to set in preferences your location and if you're OTA, cable, or premium cable, or satellite], and then a built in DVR for those channels...

 

And engaging with a satellite provider.  That's the only way you get the cable monopolies to integrate.

 

We gotta remember Apples long game.

They want 'all the content' for a 30% cut in the revenue.

They want big dumb pipes to their cloud

They want a singular LTE standard

They want all devices to integrate with their HW/APIs specifications [USB, Firewire, thunderbolt lightning, Bluetooth, cars, TVs, cable boxes, disk drives, monitors, keyboards, etc etc etc]

 

And they want to make the OS, the marketplace, and the Devices and the interfaces that interface 'you' to 'your world'

post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

... If you read between the lines Apple acquisition of Matcha hints at Steve's "secret sauce"...

 

A lot of people are saying this, but I don't see as there's a shred of evidence or even an implication that this is actually so.  

post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… Yeah, it's called an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

 

Except those don't actually work very well for the purpose.  If that's all it is, it's a fail IMO. 

post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Everyone talks about Apple putting their Apple TV technology into a TV panel. But what if Apple did the reverse and just slapped a projector into the existing size of the Apple TV box. It's almost the size of a mini-projector. And it probably wouldn't need to be that much bigger to be a very high-quality projector. So just skip the whole TV set manufacturing.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Rumor: Apple may announce 'some sort of television product' as soon as November