or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple expected to offer more affordable 'budget' iMac next year

Apple expected to offer more affordable 'budget' iMac next year

post #1 of 198
Apple will get more aggressive on pricing its all-in-one iMac desktop in 2014, with a new "budget" model apparently slated to launch next year, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities.

iMac

Kuo, who has earned a positive reputation for accurately predicting Apple's future product plans, revealed in a research note on Saturday that new lower-cost version of its iMac desktop in the works.

He believes the lower pricing will boost overall iMac shipments by between 10 and 20 percent year over year in 2014. Currently, Apple's most affordable 21.5-inch iMac retails for $1,299.

According to Kuo, fewer-than-expected iMacs were shipped worldwide after the desktop was updated with a redesign in late 2012. He believes the price was set too high, which has prompted the company to work on a new "budget iMac model" that will help drive shipments in non-U.S. markets.

Apple surprised with a refresh to its iMac lineup late last month. The latest desktops feature Intel's Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac W-Fi, and GeForce 700-series graphics.

iPad mini

Also mentioned by Kuo on Saturday is was a third-generation iPad mini, unsurprisingly said to be in the works for a 2014 launch. Few details were offered on the new model, as the second-generation iPad mini has yet to be announced.

Kuo reiterated on Saturday that the second-generation iPad mini, which Apple is expected to officially unveil at an event on Oct. 22, will feature a high-resolution Retina display. He expects the third-generation iPad mini penned to launch in 2014 to feature the same resolution as the second-generation model, though he does believe Apple will increase the resolution on a sixth-generation full-size iPad next year.
post #2 of 198

In order to appeal to the school market, I'd say Apple needs a $799 iMac or a Mac mini plus display combination for the same or less.  

But apple doesn't cater to the low end, and that tends to be what schools buy.  So unless it is a machine with last year's or older specs, it will have to be crippled in some way (display, memory, HDD, etc.) for Apple to hold their margins.

Edited by Eriamjh - 10/12/13 at 5:36pm
post #3 of 198
Everytime they come out with a budget model, folks buy the nicer ones. So many 5c's in stock right now.
post #4 of 198
@Rob

In stock because they can. 5c is 2nd best selling phone at ATT / Sprint.. beating out the Galaxy S4 of all things. 3rd at Verizon and T-Mobile.. so ANY statements that it's not selling well are simply false.. They ramped up for stock for coming holiday, then ramp down unless demand calls for more.. standard manufacturing.. companies do this all the time..

All I'm hearing is same gloom and doom, in spite of awesome sales numbers from cell companies, that don't seem to be dropping.. The price drops from Walmart, BBY, and others are standard op.. They did this almost right away with the Galaxy S4.. you didn't hear it wasn't selling well. We are in the holiday season for buying.. TONS of specials going on and ramping up..

pfff.. They will practically be giving away nearly all phones soon in ramp up for black friday. Maybe all phones are doomed then! !!!! ;p
post #5 of 198
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Apple will get more aggressive on pricing its all-in-one iMac desktop in 2014, with a new  budget” model

Why don’t idiots understand what the Mac Mini is? Is it the shape that throws them off? 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #6 of 198
Let me guess, to lower the price, Apple will replace the aluminum case of the iMac with 5 colored plastic options with last years internals ...
post #7 of 198

This is kind of like the eMac Apple may be going for here.

If Apple sells a clocked down dual-core i5 desktop with 8GB of RAM and a 128GB Flash Drive, 21.5" display, 802.11ac WiFi, and redesigns the case materials to be more affordable, Apple could build such a machine in the $400 range and sell it for $799 easily. DONE

post #8 of 198
I just want a 30-inch iMac with a retina display and fusion drive for $2200 USD.
post #9 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Let me guess, to lower the price, Apple will replace the aluminum case of the iMac with 5 colored plastic options with last years internals ...
I like that idea. Even a three year old iMac is a very capable machine so last years model is fine. A white plastic shell would look nice. The new e-Mac. Well, it's feasible but I'm not convinced.
post #10 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

I just want a 30-inch iMac with a retina display and fusion drive for $2200 USD.

Make that a Matte display.

post #11 of 198
Quote:

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other...see which ones fills up first. Cold day in hell before you see anything close to this for that price. 

post #12 of 198
Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

Cold day in hell before you see anything close to this for that price. 

Or a fall day in 2016. Not a 30”, granted, but…

post #13 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why don’t idiots understand what the Mac Mini is? Is it the shape that throws them off? 

Because if you don't have a keyboard, mouse, and display by the time you get these, you're damn close to the price of an iMac if you have to buy these all at once. 

Yes, I do have a Mac mini, but already had an Apple keyboard (yes, I know you can use any USB one), with a gaming mouse, and got a good deal on a 23" IPS Dell display. So it was still more affordable for me to go Mac mini, but this isn't the case for everyone. 

This being said, I hate that Apple is doing this "budget" crap if this is indeed true. They're starting to think they need to cater to everyone. This is where they need to stop and keep doing what they're doing. 

post #14 of 198
Apple has had budget iMacs before. Nothing really too new about the concept.
post #15 of 198

WTF people. 

There are complaints about Apple gear being too expensive, and there's insensible screaming about an "Apple Tax" . . . or something. Then there's news of a possible reduction in price (as if in response to this inanity). THEN there are complaints about Apple watering down their lineup with "cheap" computers. 

O.o

Apple knows their shit. Even in a market downturn they manage to ride it out. And who else can successfully (to Apple's degree) cannibalize their own products? 

Additionally, for the Chicken Littles, this is a RUMOUR. 

Grain of salt, folks. 

post #16 of 198

In a little over a week, Apple's entire line up of computers that will not include one computer you can add an additional internal hard drive nor video card. Really, a mini with non-descreet graphics? iMacs with mobile graphics and a Mac Pro with fixed pro graphics.... What happened to the desktop computer? Reinvented or completely ignored? I built a hackintosh for $1800 with great graphics, multiple drives, and plenty of ram... It looks like crap but I have given up on Apple desktops after 7 iMacs... I will never buy and all-one-computer again.... it is so 1999. Their portables are amazing... but how about a small tower, two drive slots, and 3 pci slots? And really give us a choice of some monitors... 24", 27", 30" + 42" with a tv tuner.

post #17 of 198

Because if you don't have a keyboard, mouse, and display by the time you get these, you're damn close to the price of an iMac if you have to buy these all at once. 

Thing is, the Mac Mini is specifically for switchers. BYODKM. They toss their trash Windows tower and plug a Mac Mini in its place. They even get to keep their cigarette-stained keyboards and their mice that are so greasy you have to wear gloves to use them. 

A slightly cheaper iMac won’t do squat to get the morons who pay $200 for a computer every two years to buy a Mac. Apple apparently needs to better explain that the Mac Mini, at $600, will last five times longer than the Windows machine it replaced, without any maintenance during its lifetime.

Originally Posted by xZu View Post
What happened to the desktop computer?

Two decades happened to it. Welcome to the future, also known as modern day.

post #18 of 198

The low-end iMac is already pretty budget. Integrated graphics, HD instead of SSD, 21" screen only. And it's very reasonably priced. I don't really see how they can go much cheaper without going to a plastic case. But heck, that's exactly what they just did with the iPhone.

post #19 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

In order to appeal to the school market, I'd say Apple needs a $799 iMac or a Mac mini plus display combination for the same or less.  

But apple doesn't cater to the low end, and that tends to be what schools buy.  So unless it is a machine with last year's or older specs, it will have to be crippled in some way (display, memory, HDD, etc.) for Apple to hold their margins.

Apple does have school pricing.

If anything, Maybe Apple will bring back the 17" as the "budget" model for $900/1000?
post #20 of 198
Quote:

Kuo, who has earned a positive reputation for accurately predicting Apple's future product plans, revealed in a research note on Saturday that new lower-cost version of its iMac desktop in the works.

I would really love to see someone actually keep track of stuff like this.

Kuo has certainly been right on some of his predictions, but he throws around so much crap, it would be impossible for him to be wrong 100% of the time. But I sure haven't seen any evidence that he's any more accurate than any of the other neanderthal analysts.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #21 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZu View Post

I built a hackintosh...

...how about a small tower, two drive slots, and 3 pci slots? And really give us a choice of some monitors... 24", 27", 30" + 42" with a tv tuner.

Firstly, did you steal OSX?

Secondly, buy a Mac mini. It has thunderbolt, hdmi etc. and move into this century honestly.
post #22 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Everytime they come out with a budget model, folks buy the nicer ones. So many 5c's in stock right now.

Imo the 5c days will come in the last 6 months of the cycle, when there are less tech fans and more price sensitive people buying iphones.
post #23 of 198

Why don't you guys just give Ming-chi Kuo his own rumor site.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 198
Quote:

You're supposed to reuse the ones from your old PC.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 198
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Why don't you guys just give Ming-chi Kuo his own rumor site.

Because “Ming-chi Kuo Insider” would need a .xxx TDL.

post #26 of 198
Quote:

In a little over a week, Apple's entire line up of computers that will not include one computer you can add an additional internal hard drive nor video card. Really, a mini with non-descreet graphics? iMacs with mobile graphics and a Mac Pro with fixed pro graphics.... What happened to the desktop computer? Reinvented or completely ignored? I built a hackintosh for $1800 with great graphics, multiple drives, and plenty of ram... It looks like crap but I have given up on Apple desktops after 7 iMacs... I will never buy and all-one-computer again.... it is so 1999. Their portables are amazing... but how about a small tower, two drive slots, and 3 pci slots? And really give us a choice of some monitors... 24", 27", 30" + 42" with a tv tuner.

Congratulations on your 1337 hackintosh. Nobody cares.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 198

"As 9to5Mac notes, Kuo has a decent track record predicting future Apple gadgets, but his timing is often incorrect."

http://www.businessinsider.com/kgi-securities-apple-product-pipeline-2013-7

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 198
Would love the refresh to happen on the Mac mini... waiting on Haswell with 802.11ac 1biggrin.gif
post #29 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Firstly, did you steal OSX?

Secondly, buy a Mac mini. It has thunderbolt, hdmi etc. and move into this century honestly.

Absolutely not, always purchase all software, including Windows! It was and experiment, I have owned over 50 Mac back to Mac Plus... mostly for business. osX runs amazing well, far better then Windows 7 on the same hardware, and we were evaluating switching to windows. 

Thunderbolt and hdmi? So does the majority of other computers on the market. I am sure my software will scream with intel intergrated graphics, great. Is it too much to ask for a desktop computer without laptop graphics? Sure you can hang as much storage off the back as you want, each with another power supply, great design no doubt. I just think the market that buys iMacs is the same market that buys laptops, there is nothing between $1000 and $2500 in Apples line up for someone who wants a desktop. An $900 iMac doesn't sound appealing to me. 

post #30 of 198
Cheap iMacs! Can we have them in five different flavours like in the old days? So we can reminisce on how apple have become the world class ass kicking bringers of simplicity we know them as today. They love saving you money and always have done.
post #31 of 198
Quote:

osX runs amazing well, far better then Windows 7 on the same hardware...

Thunderbolt and hdmi? So does the majority of other computers on the market. I am sure my software will scream with intel intergrated graphics, great. Is it too much to ask for a desktop computer without laptop graphics?

The power OSX adds to hardware in comparison to windows is awesome; however I fail to understand your use-case for this long-fabled xMac.

Running software? I presume not games then, as most PC games run as well, if not better on windows due to Microsoft's monopoly position with Direct X. If it's computationally intensive enough to warrant dedicated graphics and isn't gaming, you really need a Pro. Get a MacBook, plug it in. Or wait for their new desktop and sell it in a couple of years to recoup the additional cost. There are some external GPUs in the pipeline.

If it's a money thing, you can't honestly believe that OSX isn't subsidised by hardware sales. The price they sell it at is a token sticker price and no doubt helps cover development costs, but a Mac is about integration. The likelihood of them making a mini tower is so slim at this point, given their extraordinary move away from that form-factor recently, it may be worth thinking about other legitimate options.
post #32 of 198

I don't think it will be a budget iMac.

Instead Apple will go for a mac mini redesign.

Think same form factor as the mac pro but in Silver.

This way they could go from real basic to higher end. E.g. The new cylindrical mac mini could have the same specs as the high end 27" iMac but with the same price as the entry level 21" iMac. Now, that would be tempting …

post #33 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

But apple doesn't cater to the low end, and that tends to be what schools buy. 

That's absolutely untrue, at least here in the United States. Schools have hundreds and hundreds of computers and districts have tens of schools, so they act like any mid-size enterprise that buys thousands of computers. They have to balance the cost of staff time against the cost of cheap hardware. All of the schools I've seen use enterprise-grade hardware like Dell Optiplexes and have a standard configuration over entire districts. They need the long-term support, something you can't get on low end home computers.

post #34 of 198
Quote:

fewer-than-expected iMacs were shipped worldwide after the desktop was updated with a redesign in late 2012.

It was a disappointing redesign. Maybe the pointless thinning out and removal of the DVD drive has put people off, I know it made me reconsider and I kept hold of my 24" hoping for an eventual update that would make it worth getting.

post #35 of 198
Quote:

Apple would charge you $6,400 for that.

post #36 of 198

And once more Cook, the former world's best COO and nothing else, comes up with one of his "budget" ideas destined to fail just like the irrelevant iPhone 5C. Why does this remind me more and more of the late 90s?

Memo to Cook: Apple is about delivering the BEST; the moment you put "CHEAPER" as the priority, you undermine all the principles behind the company's fantastic recovery under SJ: design and deliver a great device, set up prices accordingly and create new demand/markets even when there is none at the beginning. Alas, it seems like what is important now is to have dinners with financial criminals like Mr Icahn...

In other words: FAIL. 

Edited by brlawyer - 10/13/13 at 3:19am
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #37 of 198
Expected? BS
post #38 of 198
space gray will be really nice on iMacs.
Anyways I hope, Apple will produce more high end iMac than low end, the same with iPhone ...
post #39 of 198
These kinds of bullshit never end .
post #40 of 198

I predict that the budget iMac will be ARM based.

The CPU and GPU are among the most expensive parts so if they can slash the the CPU/GPU costs retail prices will drop.

They will also need either a full blown 64 bit OS X port to the ARM architecture or perhaps a new iOS  Desktop UI.

OS X applications will then be recompiled and ported to the  iOS Desktop.

Time will tell.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple expected to offer more affordable 'budget' iMac next year