or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display - Page 3

post #81 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post


Don't confuse a chip's ability to process certain media types with some requirement for what a display's resolution needs to be. If that were the case then digital camera displays would have to match the sensors they have for processing an image. The display is about balancing cost with what we can perceive with power usage and capabilities of the GPU and bus processing the data it needs to display. We will get 4K(UHD) capable devices long before 4K(UHD) displays in your pockets even possible, just like we got 720p and 1080p playback on devices before the displays were ready.

 

Samsung has revealed plans for UHD support in 2015 and WQHD next year (presumably the S5), so it's coming sooner than you may realise.  

post #82 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Samsung has revealed plans for UHD support in 2015 and WQHD next year (presumably the S5), so it's coming sooner than you may realise.  

Again, supporting 4K files is not the as supporting output via Micro HDMI to a 4K display is not the same as saying you are adding a 4K display in a phone. And none of that includes refresh rates or profiles, or even codec types, which all affect the processing and bandwidth involved. You simply can't make a simplistic blanket statement and expect it to be this Three Musketeers comment.
post #83 of 117
"Notice how the 4.94 screen size in the image is roughly the same size as the entire iPhone 5. To me there's good reason to think the iPhone 6's front will be all screen -- So same size as iPhone 5 in the end and not a bigger phone at all."

Really, and how would you suggest they implement Touch ID if the front screen is all display?
post #84 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post


I think this rumor, factual or not, stems from an assumption Apple will use their 9.7" iPad display panels and still use the same resolution as the iPhone 5.

 

I'd prefer they draw a line in the sand and produce a slightly larger and higher resolution display. In my opinion Apple still have a significant lead in both design and mobile software ease of use. If they can close the gap with on display size the competition will be left to compete primarily on price (and niche products like phablets).

post #85 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Command_F View Post
 

My priority is device size, the bigger the display that fits onto a pocketable size the better. I have just moved from a 4S to a 5S and I notice that it does not fit jacket pockets quite as well so I would regret any further increase in size.

 

I am not quite sure I understand how people can have problems fitting a 4" phone into there pocket while I can do it my 7.9" iPad mini... At work, my friend and I both put our mini's into our pocket then discretly  go down to the tower food court to play  :p   We can do whatever we want during a break, its just we don't want to be seen going down with the iPads

post #86 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

Why did you not choose an LTE mini? That would appear to address the size of the screen quite well since I don't imagine a larger screen on a phablet actually enhances the speaking/listening experience. Plus the operating expenses absent the voice contract is far cheaper over time… When going "big" why not go BIG?

 

I think its pretty obvious a 8" 4:3 ratio tablet is too big to be used like a phone....  I guess it could be done with an android 7" 16:9 ratio tablet, above that you need to be a 6'5" + football player.

post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Honestly who would want such a large cell phone? I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller than the current offerings. If I need a big screen I can grab an iPad, for something to slip in ones pants small is beautiful.

 

Well there is a poll on another website, the 4.6"-5" phone is at 44% and  4"-4.5" is at  29%.  So a whooping 73% wants a bigger phone...   imo if Apple can finally release a bigger phone it will outsell the crap out of the 4" in no time. 

post #88 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post


Again, supporting 4K files is not the as supporting output via Micro HDMI to a 4K display is not the same as saying you are adding a 4K display in a phone. And none of that includes refresh rates or profiles, or even codec types, which all affect the processing and bandwidth involved. You simply can't make a simplistic blanket statement and expect it to be this Three Musketeers comment.

 

Hey Dartanian, do you want to try that again, maybe in English this time :)

 

Samsung is claiming they will have 3840 x 2160 phones in 2015.  If you know otherwise, please share.

post #89 of 117
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Samsung is claiming they will have 3840 x 2160 phones in 2015.

 

Display hardware ≠ codec support. That’s the short version.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #90 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Display hardware ≠ codec support. That’s the short version.

 

Wow, such incredible insight.  

post #91 of 117
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Wow, such incredible insight.  

 

Just say you don’t understand what’s being said and we’ll explain it more plainly.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #92 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
 

Samsung is claiming they will have 3840 x 2160 phones in 2015.  If you know otherwise, please share.

 

Waste of ressources, whats the point of having pixel density beyond retina?  All this will do is eat up GPU, batterie life,  and warm up youre hands in the winter. There is no benefit to the consumer...

 

Specs freaks are border line retarded... phones are not Pc's of the 90's. Those geeks are left with the idea they always need more memory or that the only thing that matters between devices are specs, regardless of if they are usefull or not.


Edited by herbapou - 11/22/13 at 6:46am
post #93 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But the question is whether all the people currently putting down the idea of a larger screen iPhone will turn around and start embracing it when Apple releases it.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
Apple will not make a phone.
Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.
Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Totally agree! Most apple fans are so conservative but finally they "like" the new products. I am not that old to remember about those who didnt believe for an iphone and ipod touch release but yes i remember few people believed for an iPad Mini, i was one of them. Also few people believed for a cheaper iPhone, but yes it came true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I remember that rumor but I don't see the point of going to a 264ppi resolution on this rumored iPhone.  Granted, text will be easier to read and buttons will be easier to push but the information density will be remain the same.  The whole point of going to a larger-screen iPhone is to display more information on the screen.

Totally agree too
post #94 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I think this rumor, factual or not, stems from an assumption Apple will use their 9.7" iPad display panels and still use the same resolution as the iPhone 5.

Noway next iPhone to have lower PPI than current one. It will have the same or even better. Dont forget that iPhone is the best selling kid of Apple and the first Apple product introduced Retina. Noway to go back. Thats a joke!
post #95 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Just say you don’t understand what’s being said and we’ll explain it more plainly.

 

Tallest,  I'd love to hear your views on this.  Specifically I'd like to hear your views on H.265 versus H.264.  I have a brother in the video/film industry who is very up to date on the various Codecs that are being developed and follows this quite closely and I'd love to run your ideas by him.   I'm not particularly expert in this area, but if you are, I'm sure we'd all love to hear you expound your views in this area. 

post #96 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

 

I think its pretty obvious a 8" 4:3 ratio tablet is too big to be used like a phone....  I guess it could be done with an android 7" 16:9 ratio tablet, above that you need to be a 6'5" + football player.

Or not really ever use the device AS a phone, meaning voice. A check of the voice minutes on people's devices could be instructive. Between texting, the FaceTime variants and email as I understand it the tend in voice continues downward. So the larger mini does what people complain about with the 5/5s etc. give people that bigger more easily visible, screen display: for reading at a cheaper cost.

 

 

My hugely major usage of my "phone" is as a mobile computer, I'd think that other than some fashion trend (and the android fringe) people complaining about the size of the iPhone want that phablet's bigger screen to read: hence the bigger screen of the mini fits that bill and with LTE with a cheaper mobile system connection cost to boot.

 

The voice usage trend is ever downward…. though as a note added in admission: My lifetime cellular usage dating back to my bought the first day 3Gs? 2 hours 10 minutes…. but in the wild I see far more people looking at the phone than talking/listening to it.

post #97 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

I am not quite sure I understand how people can have problems fitting a 4" phone into there pocket while I can do it my 7.9" iPad mini

Good point, I knew I should have said more but it wasn't supposed to be a fashion post ;)

 

It depends, of course, on what you're wearing. If you have big patch/cargo pockets it's not an issue. However, I like to carry my phone in an inside jacket pocket (more secure, more likely to feel the vibrate when the ringer has to be off) and these are sometimes quite small, even in casual jackets never mind suits. Also, when it's hot, trouser pockets can be pretty small and there is a comfort/looks issue too 8-)  Sorry to be vain.

OS X and iOS user

Reply

OS X and iOS user

Reply
post #98 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

 

But the question is whether all the people currently putting down the idea of a larger screen iPhone will turn around and start embracing it when Apple releases it.

Do you know how dangerous it is around here to question anything that Apple does?  ;) 

OS X and iOS user

Reply

OS X and iOS user

Reply
post #99 of 117

13 inch iPad with a 4k resolution would be nice.

 

5 inch iPhone?  Yes please.

 

That gives users of iPad and iPhone a bit more choice.  And suck the air out the room for competitors.

 

Kind of inevitable.  A bigger iPad and iPhone are coming.  You don't introduce 'desktop' class cpus without being on the cusp of even more growth.

 

It's also called putting the boot into Samsung, M$, Intel etc.  A7, A8 etc...

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #100 of 117
Apple will make a larger screen phone sooner or later whether some people like it or not. Larger screen phones are the trend and real people have a use for them. Just because one certain person thinks it's absurd, they don't speak for everyone. Just wonder what ol' Steve would think. He clearly stated that no one wants these "Hummer" phones.
post #101 of 117
What are real people?
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #102 of 117
People other than the ones on AI saying that no one wants or needs them.
post #103 of 117
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post
Apple will make a 2.5 phone sooner or later whether some people like it or not. Larger screen phones are absurd and real people don’t have a use for them. Just because one certain person thinks it won’t happen, they dont speak for everyone. Just wonder what ol' Steve would think. He clearly stated that no one wants these tiny" phones.

 

You, 2008. The iPhone mini was inevitable. A 3.5” screen on a phone was WAY too big. And then when other companies tried to make their iPhone knockoffs, know what they found? They’d have to do actual work and spend actual money to get their technology to fit in such a small package for anything near a competitive price. So what did they do? They just made it bigger. The battery couldn’t last as long, so they made that bigger, adding weight and thickness. The processor couldn’t get that much power that small, so they made the case bigger to fit a larger logic board (and telephony chips). Then they couldn’t have a 3.5” screen taking up only half of the front of the device, so they cut out some TV ppi-quality LCD panels smaller than normal and threw them on. 

What’d they get? 2, 3, 4 hours of battery, software that couldn’t scroll smoothly for the first four years of its existence, and shoddily-built piecemeal plastic nonsense.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #104 of 117
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post
What are you talking about?

 

Someone needs some reading comprehension skills. Distilled: What “the trend” is and what “analysts” say ≠ reality. 

 

Sorry, but them’s the breaks. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #105 of 117
Sorry, but your argument about throwing together a phone and having a bigger screen to accommodate bigger components is not true. They saw a market and saw people wanted bigger screens. Back when the first 4.3" phone came out people accepted it and they only got bigger. Maybe you don't like it but others did. It's almost the same as why do people want bigger and bigger TV's? Better viewing experience, same can be said with phones. Steve did say no one wanted "Hummer" phones, he was completely wrong. There are a lot of apple proponents that would love a bigger screen.
post #106 of 117
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post
Sorry, but your argument about throwing together a phone and having a bigger screen to accommodate bigger components is not true. They saw a market and saw people wanted bigger screens.

 

You’ve proof of that?

 
Back when the first 4.3” phone came out people accepted it…

 

Back when the first 4.3” phone came out, larger phones had already been released. Go back to when the first phone larger than the iPhone came out.

 
It's almost the same as why do people want bigger and bigger TV's?

 

Because they carry them around and have to hold them up to their… oh, wait, that’s a completely useless analogy.

 
Steve did say no one wanted "Hummer" phones, he was completely wrong.

 

lol, nope.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #107 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

You’ve proof of that?

Let's see your proof that there wasn't a market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Back when the first 4.3” phone came out, larger phones had already been released. Go back to when the first phone larger than the iPhone came out.

Your point is? People still accepted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Because they carry them around and have to hold them up to their… oh, wait, that’s a completely useless analogy.

Because people don't want to hold a phone 5 inches from their eyes, oops I forgot everyone has perfect eye sight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

lol, nope.

Sorry, I forgot people weren't buying any of the larger screen phones.

post #108 of 117
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post
Let's see your proof that there wasn't a market.

 

The fact that people demanded a smaller iPhone.

 
Because people don't want to hold a phone 5 inches from their eyes, oops I forgot everyone has perfect eye sight.

 

iPhone’s hold distance is, what, two feet? Come back with a real argument.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #109 of 117
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post
will 

 

Okay. Sure.

 

Also, enough with the lies.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay. Sure.

Also, enough with the lies.

We'll revisit this quote soon.
post #111 of 117

If what the analyst says is true, than I'm pleased. Apple seems to be more than capable of delivering innovative features aside from bigger screens, like the Touch ID fingerprint. Although that was controversial as well, and many people disapproved of it.

post #112 of 117
I would really like to be able to hear conversations on my iPhone as well as I could on my old LG clamshell phone and as well as on a friend's 2 year old Samsung SmartPhone. I love Apple products, but . . . I many people cannot hear well on their iPhones. This is a known fact for which there is no solution as of date. There are excuses, but no solution. Such as no cover, no case, phase of the moon, provider problems, etc. but no matter what the reason, you cannot hear as well. We have VZ, not that it matters. My friend had VZ in my house within 3 feet and it was a lot better. The iPhone, no matter the version is a phenomenal computer, but as a phone, there is something to be done. Maybe they the volume dampened to avoid potential lawsuits from people who have already damaged their hearing listening to loud music. I have great hearing and cannot hear will on mine or my wife's phone or anyone else's iPhone. A really good technical solution would be preferable to an excuse(s) any day. A larger phone would be good because while my hearing is fine, I cannot hold a much smaller phone. Also, it is too easy to accidentally touch the wrong soft switch or button on the iPhone. No case, well , it will not last long without one and you will soon not be able to hear it at all; it will be broken. I larger phone or a tablet with a phone or even a computer with an optionally activated phone would be good. If Apple would buy Verizon or all of their minutes or enough of their minutes, then we would not have to deal with them any longer. The iPhone needs to be cross carrier compatible and competition will then eliminate the problems.
post #113 of 117
Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post
many people cannot hear well on their iPhones. This is a known fact

 

Stopped paying attention.

 
A larger phone would be good because while my hearing is fine, I cannot hold a much smaller phone.

 

What does size have to do with hearing? How is it physically possible for someone not to be able to hold a small phone?

 
No case, well , it will not last long without one and you will soon not be able to hear it at all; it will be broken.

 

Nonsense.

 
…even a computer with an optionally activated phone would be good.

 

What?

 
If Apple would buy Verizon or all of their minutes or enough of their minutes, then we would not have to deal with them any longer.

 

Eh? Just go to a different telecom.

 
The iPhone needs to be cross carrier compatible and competition will then eliminate the problems.

 

It already is. Put any SIM in your Verizon phone. It will work.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #114 of 117
New year approaches, new phone rumors awaits.
My 4S is showing signs of resignation. 5S not my taste. 5C appears heavy and clumsy compared to the 5. iPhone 6 rumors. Bring it on!
post #115 of 117
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post
5S not my taste.

 

Identical to the 5.

 
5C appears heavy and clumsy compared to the 5.

 

iPhone 5: 3.95oz. 4.87 x 2.31 x 0.3 

iPhone 5C: 4.65 oz, 4.9 x 2.33 x 0.35

 

So no. Try holding one.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #116 of 117
It wa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Identical to the 5.

iPhone 5: 3.95oz. 4.87 x 2.31 x 0.3 
iPhone 5C: 4.65 oz, 4.9 x 2.33 x 0.35

So no. Try holding one.
it was after holding it, so.. Yeah. Feels heavy in my hand.
And yeah, 5 was not my taste either, as you've probably guessed by now ;-)
post #117 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It wa
it was after holding it, so.. Yeah. Feels heavy in my hand.
And yeah, 5 was not my taste either, as you've probably guessed by now ;-)

Lighter than your 4s.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display