or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Fleksy offers sneak peek of its third-party keyboard running on Apple's iOS 8

Fleksy offers sneak peek of its third-party keyboard running on Apple's iOS 8 - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

For my money, I'd just like to see Apple improve the Shift function so it is more obvious upper or lowercase is selected.

Having lowercase and uppercase letters on the keyboard definitely makes me consider using a 3rd-party option.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #42 of 55
Seems like we will finally have Dvorak Keyboard on IOS after so long.
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh… download those.

And where do you download them from? One would need network connectivity to get them.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #44 of 55
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
And where do you download them from? One would need network connectivity to get them.

They’d be part of the original app you downloaded to get the keyboard in the first place…

You realize, of course, that come fall we’ll see a tidal wave of worthless third party keyboards, more so than the fart apps, most of which will exist solely to STEAL KEYSTROKES FROM IDIOTS, right? That’s absolutely going to happen.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If those are the only uses I'd think a better solution is to us in-app purchases thereby making them pushable from the App Store to the keyboard app.

I use SwiftKey and language packs come right through the app. I'm not kicked out to the Play store but your method would ensure that nothing nefarious happens.
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

WOW. Who on earth would install a 3rd party keyboard after seeing this warning?

Apple should have designed a much better way of making sure that anything typed stays in the phone - for example by preventing network access for custom keyboard apps.

They did Apple didn't allow third parties access, that is great security. Only .3 of 1% of users are going to change keyboards, which is a complete waste of time.

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

People don't pay attention to warnings. After market keyboard like these process on their own servers that has always been the case. That's how keep their code out of the eyes of their competitors. So everything you type goes across the internet and may be sitting on someone's poorly secured server somewhere or the in the case of android the server of the hacker that pirated the game and put it on the Play store until someone figures it out and notifies Google.

Which why it is stupid to use third party keyboards, Ha...Ha.. it makes no sense, the only good part is the overwhelming majority of people out there will stick with the default keyboard.

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

if you would've listened during the keynote, keyboards are sandboxxed. They can be given limited or full access depending on what you want. Developers can keylog, but that doesn't mean they will

Of course they will are you dense? Security is tough already, why cut the holes in on purpose Apple? Oh yeah, give in to a few Geeks who like to tinker.

post #49 of 55
Quote:

They’d be part of the original app you downloaded to get the keyboard in the first place…

You realize, of course, that come fall we’ll see a tidal wave of worthless third party keyboards, more so than the fart apps, most of which will exist solely to STEAL KEYSTROKES FROM IDIOTS, right? That’s absolutely going to happen.

Yes they could include them within the app, but including every single language would make the app file size bigger than necessary.

You know the saying "an idiot and his keystrokes are soon recorded" lol.gif
post #50 of 55
Not bad, would make the keyboard look Koel the normal, but the color needs to be white to match the app, they gray doesn't look good with the messages app other than that awesome
post #51 of 55
Perhaps the NSA is funding an keyboard app developer? nah!
post #52 of 55
Security or Keyboard. Not really a hard choice I might want the keyboard but I'm not selling my soul to get it.
post #53 of 55
I trust DED will be rattling off his next 10,000 word editorial using just the three predicted words. 😃
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #54 of 55
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah. Kinda makes me think Apple should just disallow network access for third-party keyboards and leave it at that.
post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I stil have concerns about security with a systemwide 3rd-party keyboard. Has Apple detailed how they plan to prevent key logging?

They did say in the presentation that keyboards are not allowed to access any of your private data unless you provde them access, and that keyboard would require your permission to even connect to the internet. Keyboards run in the same app sandbox and use the iOS 8 extensibility feautre. It's in the WWDC about 1 hour and 30 minutes in.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Fleksy offers sneak peek of its third-party keyboard running on Apple's iOS 8
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Fleksy offers sneak peek of its third-party keyboard running on Apple's iOS 8