or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad reaches 78% North American tablet share as Amazon's Kindle Fire passes Samsung, Google

Apple's iPad reaches 78% North American tablet share as Amazon's Kindle Fire passes Samsung, Google

post #1 of 37
iPad is making gains in North American tablet web usage, reaching an 78 percent share in Apple's "first quarter-over-quarter usage share gain since June 2013," notes a new report by Chitika.

Chitika iPad June 2014

Chitika Insights published its latest figures on tablet web traffic for the U.S. and Canada, noting that Amazon's Kindle Fire, albeit with just one tenth the share of iPad, has moved into second place ahead of Samsung and Google, both of whom are selling 'pure Android' tablets.

"Since April 2014, the share of tablet Web traffic generated by North American Apple iPad and Kindle Fire users has increased by 0.8 and 1.2 percentage points, respectively," the firm stated.

"These represent the two largest quarter-over-quarter increases for any tablet brand, while Samsung's user base exhibited the largest share loss over the same timeframe, dropping two full percentage points."

Chitika cited sales of iOS devices in Costco (which resumed for the first time in June after more than a year) and new educational discounts across Apple's iPad lineup as "at least partially responsible" for driving Apple's gains.

Apple's iPad share is only down slightly from peak figures from last year, despite relentless discounting by competitors and frequent promotions that give tablets away. No other tablet maker is reporting profits of any kind from the sale of its tablets.

iPad year over year tablet share change

At the same time, Apple has improved upon its 76.1 percent holiday season tablet share reported by Chitika in January.

Apple recently announced a partnership with IBM to develop original and exclusive new iOS apps that IBM will use to drive iPhone and iPad sales to its enterprise customers, in a bid to further cement Apple's lead among business and government users.
post #2 of 37
Gatorguy will be posting links showing how Google planned all this any moment ... 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 37

I'll believe this when Amazon puts out actual data. I'll even take 'shipments.'

Until then, it's all speculation.

post #4 of 37
I'm surprised the chart is to scale. Normally these charts skew the lower bars to make it seem like they are closer to the iPad.
post #5 of 37
I love AppleInsider, but stop with the misleading headlines. Apple lost 5.6% points of share vs. last year. Their share did not grow

That said, 78% is very impressive

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #6 of 37

this is not 'share'  as in marketshare (sales)

This is web usage.  

This is saying what has been said all along:  If you are a heavy mobile internet user, the iPad is the top choice.   Amazon moving into 2nd isn't surprizing given the cost/benefit of the Amazon offerings.  Samsung... theirs are being bought and then put in the drawer, and either your laptop is still being used, or you're buying apple or amazon.

All in all, this is what I would expect... repeating:  Amazon is Apple's biggest endgame competitor, not samsung or google.

post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

This is web usage.  

Of course it is web usage. But Chitika themselves start to use this data to draw inferences about sales shares.... read the whole article.

post #8 of 37
Quote:

This is web usage.  

This is saying what has been said all along:  If you are a heavy mobile internet user, the iPad is the top choice.   Amazon moving into 2nd isn't surprizing given the cost/benefit of the Amazon offerings.  Samsung... theirs are being bought and then put in the drawer, and either your laptop is still being used, or you're buying apple or amazon.

All in all, this is what I would expect... repeating:  Amazon is Apple's biggest endgame competitor, not samsung or google.

That was pointed out in the very first sentence of the article's text:

"iPad is making gains in North American tablet web usage"

post #9 of 37
Can't possibly be right since they have Nook usage up. Seriously, the Nook is in its death throes.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course it is web usage. But Chitika themselves start to use this data to draw inferences about sales shares.... read the whole article.

Actually they inverted that relationship:

"Chitika cited sales of iOS devices in Costco (which resumed for the first time in June after more than a year) and new educational discounts across Apple's iPad lineup as "at least partially responsible" for driving Apple's gains." Gains in web usage. Looking at sales as a driver of usage increases: which I agree seems weak, sales that don't increase lead to usage that does? Some hidden inference that the Costco sales and new educational discounts are putting iPads in the hands of heavy users perhaps? If so it would be better stated explicitly.

post #11 of 37

The iPad being the the highest-priced tablet, has the most Internet usage.

The Kindle-fire, being the tablet that has to be sold at a loss to this day to make a dent, beat another tablet that Samsung says sells well, only to be proven in court that they were lying all along.

Hmmm....

post #12 of 37
Quote:

read both articles... no where did they state

- absolute usage comparisons (ad impressions per page, total web usage, usage by platform, usage per platform unit)

For all I know, one iPad is stuck in a query loop to a chitaka monitored site and is driving up the stats.

Bottom line, there is not hard anchor to this.   10's of millions could be 11million or eleventy-million-milion.

and it all could be gizmodo.com ads.  or amazon.com.   impressions could be DOWN quarter over quarter, indicating a general market decline.

(I don't believe this but it could be true)... or  a migration away from web ads to apps with no ads (or ads chitaka can't monitor).   Hard saying, because their analytics aren't exposed.

reading the article the only reference to 'sales'  is:

'Chitika cited sales of iOS devices in Costco (which resumed for the first time in June after more than a year) and new educational discounts across Apple's iPad lineup as "at least partially responsible" for driving Apple's gains.'

Yet article's net net: Apple lost share year over year (since they don't show absolutes).  

the Gain is from Christmas season, but it's relative (internet usage can be down, and apple having a higher percentage of that lower number).   What part of the article should I believe, because their 'inferences' are not logical?

Bottom line... no hard numbers, all relative to something not important.   Cannot be linked to sales.  period.

post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That was pointed out in the very first sentence of the article's text:

"iPad is making gains in North American tablet web usage"

relative to total tablet web usage.

Which could have dropped dramatically compared to laptop web usage.

All soft numbers.    78% of 20 is not a very big number compared to 76% of 20,000,000,000.

Which gets to the bottom line point...  Chitaka is getting paid to advise people on how to advertise where.... their market is 'ad impressions sales' not tablet sales.

I can't wait for AdBlock Plus for iOS;-)

post #14 of 37
Quote:

The only thing that even remotely tempts me to jailbreak. I'd love to see this made officially available for iOS.

post #15 of 37

This is too fuzzy to be useful as a metric.

The only possible conclusion to be drawn, if you are making tablets is, stay away from pure Android.  Fork Android or invent your own OS.  Build your own store and ecosystem.  Build your own brand, don't be building Android brand, otherwise you're just working for Google.

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

This is too fuzzy to be useful as a metric.

The only possible conclusion to be drawn, if you are making tablets is, stay away from pure Android.  Fork Android or invent your own OS.  Build your own store and ecosystem.  Build your own brand, don't be building Android brand, otherwise you're just working for Google.
I'm still waiting for the news that Google is moving away from Android as DED previously speculated. 1wink.gif
post #17 of 37
In other news, analysts agree Apple is doomed.

/snark
post #18 of 37
One would think "pure Android" refers to AOSP, and not the mix of open and closed source applications that Google currently ships under the Android brand.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 37
Quote:

There are several third-party iOS web browsers that have built-in ad blocking. Sure, they don't provide the same convenience as would iOS Safari with a seamlessly integrated ad blocking extension, however they are reasonable alternatives if one is planning to spend some dedicated time web browsing on an iOS device.

The two ad-blocking iOS browsers I'm most familiar with are Atomic Web Browser and Ghostery.

post #20 of 37
Quote:

This is based on webusage, there is no "speculation" about it...

That being said, you are right this stats has no relation what so ever regarding sales. It only tell us Apple customers love there tablets.

post #21 of 37

Image if you remove Apple data from the comparison, and all the other tablets would be neck and neck with each other. It would be your typical PC market place all over again. 

post #22 of 37
Quote:

Isn't this web usage?

Sure it probably doesn't report true web usage, but the trends (growth, and declines) should be pretty accurate, I'd imaging.

post #23 of 37
this is not share'  as in marketshare (sales) This is web usage.

Which is marketshare for all intents and purposes. It’s a tablet.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #24 of 37

Still not clear about how these ownership/use percentages are derived. From web traffic to select sites? From apps?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 37
Actual usage is more important than PR announced "activations" or third party guesses on shipments? How could that be? It's much more important that millions of shipped boxes are sitting in back rooms, isn't it? Isn't it? By that measure, Android is WAY AHEAD! Sounds like a Samsung ad - each store has tens of thousands of our devices in the back rooms! Apple - only a few hundred.
post #26 of 37
Quote:

This is web usage.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe Geoff is correct, TS.

Market share only measure sales during a particular period of time... usually a quarter. In other words... they add up all the tablets sold during those 3 months... then figure out what percentage each manufacturer had. Market share measures sales.

Usage share measures the usage of existing devices... not just those sold over the last 3 months. Usage share measures usage.

A person using an iPad 3 from 2012 will show up in current usage stats... but not in current market share sales stats.

Could market share and usage share be the same number? Sure... but that would just be a coincidence.

Theoretically... the iPad could represent 78% of all the tablets sold in the US over the last 3 months... and it could represent 78% of web usage of all tablets in existence in the US.

But market share and usage share measure different things.
post #27 of 37
Quote:

For all intents and purposes, it's 'active eyeballs'   Not number of tablets in the market.

tablet market share in standard parlance is the percentage of sales of a tablet in a particular time period.   

web usage marketshare in this context isn't even that.  it's 'Ad-Impressions' on a Chitakla monitored sites.

Now in ad markets, one looks at 'demographics' and that's what this is best showing... If you put an ad out there 78% of the time it's being seen by an iOS user.  Could be 1 tablet generating a heckuva lot of page views or  10 million generating the views.  IT doesn't represent population, it represents 'activity.'  

NOTE:  With Apple announcing that Tablet Sales were DOWN 9% this quarter, it makes any 'inference' of increased iPad sales by chitalka even more highly questionable.  (at best, the new iPad users are 'surf' intensive, compared to olders ones who have converted to apps that have less chitlaka monitored ads).

yes I know I'm spelling chittylacka 18 different ways.

Edited by TheOtherGeoff - 7/22/14 at 2:09pm
post #28 of 37
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
I believe Geoff is correct, TS.

Yes, I know the technical difference between the terms. Thing is, the piles of silicon stuffed into the channel mean nothing to the consumer when they’re not buying them, nothing to the developer when they’re not being bought, and nothing to the manufacturer except to scream that they were “sold” and refuse to give the actual number sold or stats on where they are.

NOTE:  With Apple announcing that Tablet Sales were DOWN 9% this quarter, it makes any 'inference' of increased sales by chitalka even more highly questionable.

No, it makes the reality all the more pathetic for Android.

post #29 of 37
Quote:

Yes, I know the technical difference between the terms. Thing is, the piles of silicon stuffed into the channel mean nothing to the consumer when they’re not buying them, nothing to the developer when they’re not being bought, and nothing to the manufacturer except to scream that they were “sold” and refuse to give the actual number sold or stats on where they are.

on the first point, then you're arguing a point that chitalka is not addressing or caring about.  straw man argument.  I agree on your point, but it's not on point. 

on the 2nd.   doesn't mean that at all, since there are no numbers that relate to units... just 'impressions'   

post #30 of 37

I'm surprised no one used the but but but user-agent meme. ;)

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 37
on the first point, then you're arguing a point that chitalka is not addressing or caring about.  straw man argument.  I agree on your point, but it's not on point. 

It’s exactly what they are addressing. It’s the opposite of a strawman.

on the 2nd.   doesn't mean that at all, since there are no numbers that relate to units... just 'impressions'   

No. It’s physically possible that there are 500 trillion Android devices with 10 impressions and 10 iOS devices with 500 trillion impressions, but only an idiot would draw that conclusion from the data. There are more impressions because more are used. And, again, that is the only thing that matters to anyone.

post #32 of 37
Quote:

Which gets to the bottom line point...  Chitaka is getting paid to advise people on how to advertise where.... their market is 'ad impressions sales' not tablet sales.

Even Adblock (or Ghostery or Little Snitch) can't prevent the most recent trackers from following you around the web. I have no doubt other ways of circumventing ad blockers are either already in use or in development. http://www.propublica.org/article/meet-the-online-tracking-device-that-is-virtually-impossible-to-block

That specific version of "canvas fingerprinting" tech is supplied by Addthis (aka Clearspring), who is also one of the 67 different trackers and ad providers that Ghostery just detected when loading this page.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm still waiting for the news that Google is moving away from Android as DED previously speculated. 1wink.gif

Check out the court calendar.
When Oracle gets giggle back in court and by the balls
There will be a reckoning
And Java will be alone happy family again.
post #34 of 37
Quote:

Makes me wonder WTF are those android tablets are used for...

Several points of interest regarding those stats:

1. I think a lot more old ipads are still in used than old android tablets, which support high ipad web usage compare to android.

2. Its possible to fool a website by changing youre device ID, my brother in law do this. That being said he is a 5 start geek, so I doubt a lot of android users do this. Then again, they seem to loved to play with settings...

3. Which type of websites are monitor can dramaticly affects the results. For example, if I was to do device stats on this website, I bet more Apple devices come here than other brands and the stats would be meaningless.

post #35 of 37
Here's a funny turn of events. Windows phone will now "spoof" Safari so that users of their phones get mobile sites when using IE as the browser. Seems their share is so low that many (most?) sites ignore Windows mobile and simply offer up a desktop site. So now Windows mobile will say it uses Safari for browsing tho it does not. .
1biggrin.gif
post #36 of 37
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Seems their share is so low that many (most?) sites ignore Windows mobile and simply offer up a desktop site.

GOOD. THAT’S THE POINT. IT’S NOT 2005 ANYMORE. THERE IS NO REASON TO HAVE A MOBILE SITE AT ALL. 

Why is anyone, anywhere okay with this? The PURPOSE of the iPhone was to present users THE REAL INTERNET. Web pages in the EXACT SAME WAY as on a desktop computer. That’s the idea. The bastardization that has happened to the Internet since the iPhone’s release is incomprehensible to me. Mobile sites have only grown in number, not shrunken. There shouldn’t be any mobile sites at all, and yet here we are, seven years later, AND OUR DEVICES ARE FORCED ONTO MOBILE VERSIONS EVEN IF WE MANUALLY INPUT THE REAL URL.

post #37 of 37
Quote:

GOOD. THAT’S THE POINT. IT’S NOT 2005 ANYMORE. THERE IS NO REASON TO HAVE A MOBILE SITE AT ALL. 

Why is anyone, anywhere okay with this? The PURPOSE of the iPhone was to present users THE REAL INTERNET. Web pages in the EXACT SAME WAY as on a desktop computer. That’s the idea. The bastardization that has happened to the Internet since the iPhone’s release is incomprehensible to me. Mobile sites have only grown in number, not shrunken. There shouldn’t be any mobile sites at all, and yet here we are, seven years later, AND OUR DEVICES ARE FORCED ONTO MOBILE VERSIONS EVEN IF WE MANUALLY INPUT THE REAL URL.

Amen. I can't stand it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad reaches 78% North American tablet share as Amazon's Kindle Fire passes Samsung, Google
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad reaches 78% North American tablet share as Amazon's Kindle Fire passes Samsung, Google