or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Who is buying a new PowerBook? - Page 7

post #241 of 340
Yeah

I ordered mine on the 16th

I'm going to phone them up now and say that I know other people who are getting their's today - "Where the hell is mine!"
post #242 of 340
Well - 45 minutes later after waiting on the phone!

Should ship by the end of the week.

He said (sounded like the chap I was on the phone to on Monday - there isn't one guy manning the phones is there? please tell me no) there's a problem with flights or something in Taiwan

So - I said I know someone who's getting theirs today - and he said he didn't know why it was taking so long - and that was it. I couldn't ask anything else, and he couldn't tell me anything else.

I guess it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but they've taken the money from my C-Card already...
post #243 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by lsngctrl
I ordered mine on 9/19. I got it this morning.

15" 1.25 1gb RAM (only change)

are you in the west or east coast of US?
i ordered mine 9/18 and still has not shipped!!
i'm up in toronto but STILL man.. i want it now!
post #244 of 340
Placed order on the 18th of sep for a stock 15" 1.25 superdrive with single ram stick. initial ship date 9/29, changed to 10/2. apple sent email saying sorry cannot process payment through loan account on 9/28. checked with mbna, found apple put the charge through twice! no wonder it bounced.

fixed with apple after being 30 minutes on hold. the PB shipped today. checked with airborne and apple given air bill number is that of a completely un related shipment which was completed on 8/28. this is not even related to apple. Let's see what happens, maybe airborne recycles airbill numbers.

company I work for used to use Airborne, then switched to UPS. Thank God. Airborne has a weired hub system, everything including ground shipments must go through their cleveland hub. So if you ship ground from California to Colorado. It first goes to cleveland then comes to Colorado!! No wonder they are always late.
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #245 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Wifty
You sure they've not been given the superdrive by mistake Ti Fighter?

yup, thats what i thought and checked, but its a combo.

btw, our other 12" shipped on the 30th, we ordered on the 16th from macmall.
post #246 of 340
Yeah ! I think...I finally got my shipping notification...but the Airborne reference points to a shipment already delivered on 8/22/03. I did see in the e-mail that the reference will not be valid until 12 to 24 hours after shipping. So I suppose this is the case.

I have to thank my wife, because she suggested I wait... A few days ago I was going to go to a local dealer because my date got bumped... , I'm glad I didn't...

Oh, my system is a 15" 1.25GHz, SD, 5400rpm, 1 stick 512MB...

Ordered on 9/22.
15" Al PowerBook G4, 1.25 GHz, 80GB (5400 rpm) HD, SD
PM G4 Sawtooth 450
Wallstreet II G4 500 MHz, 40GB, DVD
IIfx, IIcx, II, PB 180, SE/30
PM G4 Sawtooth 450
post #247 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Infoseeker
[B]
I have to thank my wife, because she suggested I wait... A few days ago I was going to go to a local dealer because my date got bumped... , I'm glad I didn't...
/B]

Why are you glad that you waited?
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #248 of 340
man i hope mine ships today but i have a feeling it won't.. it was suppose to ship 9/29 and then delayed to 10/02..

boooo...

i hate waiting!
post #249 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by strongbadia
man i hope mine ships today but i have a feeling it won't.. it was suppose to ship 9/29 and then delayed to 10/02..

boooo...

i hate waiting!

Even after it ships, prepare to wait. Mine shipped on the 23rd of Sept and I did not get it until the 30th.

It was definately worth the wait. It is totaly awesome!
post #250 of 340
My BTO 15" 1.25 GHz was to have been shipped from the Apple store by yesterday. Only thing different from stock was that I asked for a single RAM chip (512). It hasn't shipped and no word from Apple. The rest of the order arrrived, even teh bluetooth mouse, that had been quoted as delayed until 0ct 15th, made a sudden quick arrival.

All set to go except for, ahh, the computer. Waiting...
post #251 of 340
oops double post
"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and suffer the loss of his soul?"
post #252 of 340
my PB shipped today as promised, but i am prepared to wait for a while for it despite the express shipping. my iPod has been in transit since the 25th and Airborne has no clue where it is. they hypothesize it is stuck in customs. if that's the case, it's funny how tons of drugs can be smuggle in overnight, but my iPod is being scrutinized all week. guess i haven't bribed the right goverment officials.

post #253 of 340
These delays happened to me with my iPod and my 15 AL Powerbook... I got my shipping costs refunded in both cases by apple phone reps.

They mentioned to me that customs and the way they ship the items over seas in a pallate, then break them down once they get to a US city are both partially culprits on delays. I asked that they better set customers expectations when they anticipate shipping delays like this... if you know it's shipped, and you have 2 day shipping, in my mind, why would it take any more time than that? it's all about apple setting our expectations... Maybe mention that when you speak to a rep...

BTW, the initial shipping tracking numbers most of us got track the pallate shipment, not our individual products... that's why they gave some of us updated tracking numbers that tended to work better... I guess that means the products/pallates have been broken up to ship individually.

Good luck, i'm sure enjoying both my 40 gig iPod and my AL Powerbook...
Charlie
www.InGratia.org
Check out http://www.InGratia.org
Gratitude and Giving

Design Director
1.25Ghz AlumPowerBook, SuperD. 40Gig iPod
Check out http://www.InGratia.org
Gratitude and Giving

Design Director
1.25Ghz AlumPowerBook, SuperD. 40Gig iPod
post #254 of 340
Has anyone had a 12" PB ship yet? Especially a 12" BTO? My ship date of 10/03 is now fast approaching, after having been bumped from 09/30, and there's no sign the system is even being built, let alone getting ready to ship. I fully expect 10/03 to come and go at this point with nothing more than a last-minute e-mail with yet another unreliable predicted ship date.

Some 12" inchers have been shipped to stores... I saw them being sold in Salem, NH last Friday in fact. I'm getting the strong impression that online orders must have a lower priority, with BTO online orders at the bottom of the heap.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #255 of 340
Mine is still being built - supposedly.

I phoned today (5th time) and they said all the built to order 12"'s should ship by the end of the week (Oct 3rd).

The lady said that orders like mine (from the 16/9) have a priority to ship.

Here's hoping for Friday. But, like you - I've got the feeling it'll pass with another email with another delayed date.
post #256 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by mac's girl
my PB shipped today as promised, but i am prepared to wait for a while for it despite the express shipping. my iPod has been in transit since the 25th and Airborne has no clue where it is. they hypothesize it is stuck in customs. if that's the case, it's funny how tons of drugs can be smuggle in overnight, but my iPod is being scrutinized all week. guess i haven't bribed the right goverment officials.

That is what happened to me. Airborne had no idea where it was and then... it just showed up.
post #257 of 340
More Airborne Woes...

Seems like the 2 day shipping is counted once it reaches their hub! it is not from the day they picked up from Apple. utter nonsense.

So, My PB shipped today, will reach airborne hub on the 3rd and then it will be 2 business days, which means I expect to see it on the 7th or 8th.
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #258 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamil
Why are you glad that you waited?

If I had cancelled my order I wouldn't have gotten the faster hard drive and 1 stick 512MB. I was considering going local (not loco ), but would have had to install the hard drive myself...which I've done with my Wallstreet II, but would rather wait until faster drives come down in price...
PM G4 Sawtooth 450
PM G4 Sawtooth 450
post #259 of 340
I got the dreaded "your order has been delayed" e-mail from Apple. The original estimated ship date, for my 15" 512 (BTO single chip) RAM 1.25 Ghz Powerbook, was 9/30. Today (10/1) they say it could be as long as 10/10 before they ship it. Waaaa! Waiting.....
post #260 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by mac's girl

mac's girl, I think we ordered iMac's at the same time a while back!

I ordered a PBG4 15.2/1.25/1024/80/SD/AP/BL/Ll (and a bunch of academic deal stuff, including a new iPod 40GB, on 9/26 and got a "on or by 11/10/03" shipdate for the PB. Everything else was sent Next Day air, even though I told them to take their time and send if by ground, since the PB was way off in the future! All was delivered at school on Saturday 9/27! Well, thanks, but nobody there to receive it. I lucked out and nobody stole it from in front of my office door where I found it on Monday morning. Whew!

I checked the order today and was told the PB had shipped 10/1! Wow , but Airborne says its an international order. Guess when I'll get it? Yep, Saturday again......
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #261 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Cubit
mac's girl, I think we ordered iMac's at the same time a while back!

I ordered a PBG4 15.2/1.25/1024/80/SD/AP/BL/Ll (and a bunch of academic deal stuff, including a new iPod 40GB, on 9/26 and got a "on or by 11/10/03" shipdate for the PB. Everything else was sent Next Day air, even though I told them to take their time and send if by ground, since the PB was way off in the future! All was delivered at school on Saturday 9/27! Well, thanks, but nobody there to receive it. I lucked out and nobody stole it from in front of my office door where I found it on Monday morning. Whew!

I checked the order today and was told the PB had shipped 10/1! Wow , but Airborne says its an international order. Guess when I'll get it? Yep, Saturday again......

Hey, Cubit! You remember me? I'm tickled! How's your iMac holding up? Cash flow was lower this time so i had to go with the 1Ghz PB15" with the 80@4200rpm and a backlighted keyboard as my only upgrades. I thought while I waited for it to ship/arrive, I would panhandle in the subway for RAM money. LOL! I got the academic deal too on the iPod (20GB) but I think it's insane that Airborne doesn't know where it is for the past week. If it's not here by Friday, Apple is getting a call from me. I want a refund for my so-called express shipping.

Anyway, let me know when you get your PB... both of ours having shipped on the same day, let's see whose arrives first.
post #262 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino23
Purchasing 15" Al PB, 5400 RPM drive, memory in one slot.

Originally scheduled to ship on or before 9/29. Just got an email it is delayed till 10/6.

Good news - bad news. I hate the extra wait but if this tends to mean I get one without flaws it is OK by me.

Update: the PowerBook shipped 10/1. No confirmation yet from Airborne.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #263 of 340
Just an update as I've been bitching repeatedly about my orde ron here. My PB15 1.25 stock turned up yesterday and it's great! No problems with the latch, hinge or screen at all.

Big relief!

Good luck to those still waiting. Hope they arrive soon. Enjoy
post #264 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
I got the dreaded "your order has been delayed" e-mail from Apple. The original estimated ship date, for my 15" 512 (BTO single chip) RAM 1.25 Ghz Powerbook, was 9/30. Today (10/1) they say it could be as long as 10/10 before they ship it. Waaaa! Waiting.....

Me too - got that today after ordering 15" BTO at expo (!!). Difficult to take.

BUT I'm consoling myself that it looks like these Panther GM rumours have some substance so we could be into Panther territory if it's delayed another week or so....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #265 of 340
Just received a new email from Apple.

They'll ship the order sometime in the second week of October.

This is down to Stock Restrictions or something.

Noodles is one very pissed off Apple customer.

Anyone else receive this?
post #266 of 340
GOOD NEWS!

It's SHIPPED!

Well - that's what the status image is showing anyway...

Beneath where it lists each item it has "No items shipped."

I'm confused.

post #267 of 340
My 12" Powerbook has landed. (Ordered 9/17) What a little cutie. I haven't given it an intense test but it's barely gotten warm.

...now, onto the Canon Digital Rebel and a G5 desktop early next year.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #268 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by Noodles
GOOD NEWS!

It's SHIPPED!

That's a very different looking status page than I've been getting.

I've been going to http://www.apple.com/OrderStatus, and all I get is a very plain looking table of text messages with none of the pretty 1-2-3-4 status images you're showing.

Worse, however, is that the status is still "Open", showing no signs of my order being built or prepped.
post #269 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
That's a very different looking status page than I've been getting.

I've been going to http://www.apple.com/OrderStatus, and all I get is a very plain looking table of text messages with none of the pretty 1-2-3-4 status images you're showing.

Worse, however, is that the status is still "Open", showing no signs of my order being built or prepped.

dont worry, i didnt have pictures either. it never told me it was being built, just said "open" and then suddenly it went straight to "shipped."
post #270 of 340
Quote:
GOOD NEWS!

It's SHIPPED!

Beneath where it lists each item it has "No items shipped."

I'm confused.

Noodles - I got the same email as you (I think) but I'm still 'being assembled'

What was your progression ? Did it go straight to 'shipped' ?
post #271 of 340
It was still being built this morning, then when I checked later after getting back home it was "Shipped".

I'm so thrilled - I just got the email from Apple with my TNT Tracking number - although when checking on the TNT web site the number doesn't exist yet...
post #272 of 340
Quote:
It was still being built this morning, then when I checked later after getting back home it was "Shipped".

I'm so thrilled - I just got the email from Apple with my TNT Tracking number - although when checking on the TNT web site the number doesn't exist yet...

Congratulations - it must feel great !

I've got to the point where I can't face checking the status now. Got to try to chill out....
post #273 of 340
Sure does

So - people who now have their 12"? What are they like? What's the battery like? Lots of people have been complaining about the 15" battery - that worries me...

Also - do we get a Mini-DVI to VGA adaptor with it?
post #274 of 340
Quote:

Also - do we get a Mini-DVI to VGA adaptor with it?

According to the tech specs on Apple's site, it does come with that adaptor.
What the problem is?
What the problem is?
post #275 of 340
Ordered my PB 15 1.25 on Sept 25 and scheduled to arrive on afternoon of Oct 3. Had to order from Apple rather than Apple Store due to 5400rpm HD. Now we will be full Mac family...iMac for me (March 03 purchase) and PB for wife (oh yea I will use it too)!!!!!!!
post #276 of 340
The 12" Powerbook came with a Mini-DVi to DVI adapter [i]and{/i] Mini-DVI-VGA adapter. When I placed the order, it took me a bit to figure that out because I ordered a Mini-DVI to Video adapter plus a duplicate DVI adapter because I first thought it wasn't included.

Screed
post #277 of 340
Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD
My 12" Powerbook has landed. (Ordered 9/17) What a little cutie. I haven't given it an intense test but it's barely gotten warm.

Oooh, I'm jeaslous, Screed. But I'm determined to wait a few more weeks until I have more cash and can get Panther for free.

Quote:
...now, onto the Canon Digital Rebel and a G5 desktop early next year.

I went to the Ritz Camera across the street from my office to buy AA NiMH rechargeables for my trip to the Albuquerque (NM) Balloon Fiesta tomorrow. Big surprise! They had the Digital Rebel in stock and I almost walked out with it. The $100 lens that comes with it isn't fast, but it's certainly practical. I'm sick and tired of the autofocus- and shutter- lag on my digital P&S. I miss the lenses, manual focus, and TTL viewfinder of my film SLR. So after the 12-inch PB, the Digital Rebel is definitely second in line here as well.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #278 of 340
Quote:

Originally scheduled to ship on or before 9/29. Just got an email it is delayed till 10/6.

Good news - bad news. I hate the extra wait but if this tends to mean I get one without flaws it is OK by me.

---

Update 10/3
Although Airborne says the shipping ticket was printed on 10/1 they have yet to receive the box. Maybe it will ship 10/6 after all.
post #279 of 340
Quote:

---

Update 10/3
Although Airborne says the shipping ticket was printed on 10/1 they have yet to receive the box. Maybe it will ship 10/6 after all.
post #280 of 340
Sorry for the triple post. Not sure how it happened.

By the way, I checked with Apple. They said that Airborne's information does not reflect overseas activity and will not start tracking the package till it clears customs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Who is buying a new PowerBook?