or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet?

10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet? - Page 2

post #41 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
You're playing with fire when you use hacks. Don't come crying here if your computer blows up.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #42 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
Yeah, he was really crying about it, wasn't he.

Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning? I'm just saying that if he dares being pissed at Apple because his favorite hack doesn't work, he won't get any sympathy from me.

Although he seems to be getting a lot from you.
post #43 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning? I'm just saying that if he dares being pissed at Apple because his favorite hack doesn't work, he won't get any sympathy from me.

Although he seems to be getting a lot from you.

Did you even read what I said? Where did I get pissed at Apple? When did I start crying? Maybe it's time for you to pull your head out of your ass for a moment and read the ****ing post next time.
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
post #44 of 160
OK guys. Time out. I sense some rising hostility here. I'm sure people who risk hacking their systems know the conquences, and the only thing that goes on corn flakes is milk, or simetimes fruit/berries.

There, back on topic now.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #45 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by HOM
Did you even read what I said? Where did I get pissed at Apple? When did I start crying? Maybe it's time for you to pull your head out of your ass for a moment and read the ****ing post next time.

Now, now...no need to get mad.

Here's a valid complaint though:

10.3.3 froze (first time I've gotten a freeze in 10.3) when running an OpenGL screensaver.
post #46 of 160
Ebby summed it up well. I'm going to back up his statement as gospel and add: Clean it the **** up or heads are going to roll.

Thanks
post #47 of 160
I just downloaded 10.3.3 on my TiBook 867. Everything seems to work OK. I opened applications, include a few classic ones, tried IE and Safari, printed a page, put it to sleep and then woke it up and everything worked fine.

One note of disappointment, on startup10.3.3 took even longer to load than 10.3.2, at least by 30 seconds. Hopefully subsequent reboot will be faster.

I'm now downloading it on my G4 Dual 450.

This is really weird for me, as I'm never an early adopter. I guess I can blame it one reading AI and catching the bug.
post #48 of 160
I am impressed with how much Apple has changed with the 10.3.3 update. If you go to System Profiler>Software>Extensions and do a date search, you will see that well over half of all the Apple extensions have been modified and now carry a March 2004 date. Very impressive.
post #49 of 160
Again, no problems downloading and installing 10.3.3 on my G4 Dual 450. The boot time on this machine seems the same on 10.3.3 as 10.3.2, not longer as on my TiBook.
post #50 of 160
Well I'll be...

Plugged in a USB cable to my two-year old MGE Ellipse UPS, and it was recognized.

The software provided with it was OS 9--only (though I do see an OSX version that I wasn't aware of), so this is a nice perk (and having the battery icon in my menu bar for giggles).
post #51 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by kraig911
I am about to just go for it and install it anyone have any problems?

Yes I have. It can't find internet to download even im talking to you now. Thanks.
post #52 of 160
I don't know what they changed but, subjectively, Halo (1.0.4.1) seems to run at the same speed with pixel shaders as it used to with just vertex shaders. This is on a dual g5 2.0 with 4Gb and a 9800.
post #53 of 160
10.3.3 has broken network aliases! I connect to folders on a 'server' computer (running personal file sharing) in my office. I have a few aliases on my machine which automatically connect me to those folders over my ethernet network (or remotely over the internet). They no longer work. I get a dialog box that reads, "The alias 'Blah blah' could not be opened, because the original item could not be found."

I tried connecting manually thru the Go menu->Connect to Server (which connects okay) and remaking my aliases, unmounting the server, and when I try to reconnect with the alias.... same dialog comes up that the item could not be found. This worked perfectly from 10.0 thru 10.3.2 ( actually this has worked since Mac OS 7.0!). What's up?

Any ideas on something new to try/enable/change in 10.3.3 to make this work again?
post #54 of 160
YAY! 10.3.3! Too bad my mac isn't here. I still have to wait a whole week to get it.
Signatures are boring.
Signatures are boring.
post #55 of 160
Browsing Windows shares is a joy now.
post #56 of 160
It's easy to make Safari Aqua again just open interface builder, go to the english lproj in Safari then in Window click the "Textured" checkbox. Requires dev tools. Which I'm going to install again someday....if the server is ever up to the task, the download always stalls out from Apple.

Alcimedes your capacity took a nose dive. It looks like it killed your battery! Have your times dropped significantly or was it previously not reporting right and now is corrected?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #57 of 160
So SMB works again EDS666? I was going to take the leap but then I got the jitters...think i'll sleep on it.
post #58 of 160
I can confirm that aliases to items over the network don't work. If the volume is mounted, the alias works.

I also find that on my machine at home, Safari is taking a long time (I can hear the hard drive churning away) to render the pages in these forums, and sometimes the links (like "next page") do nothing.
post #59 of 160
Hmmm. My RS-1500 UPS doesn't even have a USB port, which is maybe why my system isn't sensing the thing's presence (although my G5 IS plugged into the protected electrical terminals of the UPS). It has a "data" port, but that's for ethernet devices I think.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #60 of 160
The apple site says that there are updates to the Disk Utility, can anyone elaborate on this?
post #61 of 160
Anyone notice the animation when you drag a file into a folder? I don't remember that before.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #62 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
So SMB works again EDS666? I was going to take the leap but then I got the jitters...think i'll sleep on it.

Works better than I've ever seen it work under X
post #63 of 160
I second that.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #64 of 160
Arstechnica people are reporting that 10.3.3 breaks Dave.

Quote from "armwt"
Break report #1

Can't connect to a single Windows/active directory share using Dave (Thursby Systems) anymore. "Error -1". Suckage - will keep me from deploying this in the office until that is fixed, or I figure out why it's doing it.

[edit... for a better description:
I have my network home folder mounted in the dock. Rebooted, go click on the home folder, I've just locked up the dock - currently about 6 minutes, just a beachball if I move the mouse down to the dock..... had to kill the dock from the terminal
post #65 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebby
Anyone notice the animation when you drag a file into a folder? I don't remember that before.

Haha...that's been there since 10.0.

No just kiddin'. But it has been there since 10.3.
post #66 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
Hmmm. My RS-1500 UPS doesn't even have a USB port, which is maybe why my system isn't sensing the thing's presence (although my G5 IS plugged into the protected electrical terminals of the UPS). It has a "data" port, but that's for ethernet devices I think.

You have to have a *data* connection to the UPS for it to talk to the computer... it's not like it sends magic electricity across the power cable.

My APC USB UPS was recognized immediately, I made sure to *REMOVE* PowerChute before rebooting, both the /Library/StartupItems and /Library/PreferencePanes items. All looks good, and I *love* seeing how much battery I have left!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #67 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs

The data port on my 1500 also looks like a ethernet port. However the cable I use to plug in into my G5 has a ethernet port on one end and a USB port on the other.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #68 of 160
The Finder and all things "interface" seem a bit *Snappier*®. iChat seems to function much faster, esp. loading the Buddy List. I haven't really noticed much else.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #69 of 160
ya, i'm waiting to see how rev A. 12 " powerbooks sound on 10.3.3

I have had my powerbook back on 10.3.1 ever since those first few weeks of roaring fans and 10.3.2! Did Apple change this back to an acceptable setting? I fear that I might be stuck at 10.3.1 forever.
post #70 of 160
All good on the Kickaha Front...

10.3.3 on the 15" AlBook, 10.3.3 Server on the .35GHz G3.
post #71 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by sobelizzard
ya, i'm waiting to see how rev A. 12 " powerbooks sound on 10.3.3

I have had my powerbook back on 10.3.1 ever since those first few weeks of roaring fans and 10.3.2! Did Apple change this back to an acceptable setting? I fear that I might be stuck at 10.3.1 forever.

The fan on my 12 Rev B comes on much more often now.
post #72 of 160
Weird - my PB is running about 110deg now... it was running 125-135 before this update.
post #73 of 160
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kickaha
Weird - my PB is running about 110deg now... it was running 125-135 before this update. [/QUOTE

Honestly, I had never heard the sound of the fan come on. Now, my rev B 12 incher sounds rather loud, especially when used in clamshell mode. When used all by itself, without the external monitor, it's quieter. I have not quantified any of this in any real way; I just know, that I finally heard the sound of the fan come on!
post #74 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Also: does the PBG4 12" rev a fan still kick in to high gear almost all the time?

Mine kicked in during the install - it hardly ever turns on, so I had to put it to my ear to see if it was the hd or the fan!

Haven't heard the fan since the reboot.
post #75 of 160
Thank heaven for the return of the fn-key toggle.

So far so good on my 15" Al. Powerbook.

Will try out the enhanced networking tomorrow at the studio.
post #76 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Cake
Mine kicked in during the install - it hardly ever turns on, so I had to put it to my ear to see if it was the hd or the fan!

Haven't heard the fan since the reboot.

I upgraded a client of mine's rev A 12 incher to 10.3.2 the other day; he was horrified to hear the fan come on. The fan does not stop! I tried to explain to him that it's better to have the fan on most of the time than burning your family jewels. He did not want to hear any of it. Hopefully, once I've updated his computer to 10.3.3, the noise problem will be mitigated a little bit.
post #77 of 160
hey again,

just to note, ive had improved preformance in quicktime, movies seem to play back more fluidly when they are in the background.

ive also had way better sound from my revolution 7.1 sound card. the rear channel are now loud and clear, where as before they were very crackly. however, has anyone noticed safari will sometimes take up all availiable CPU for some reason? so java or flash or anything... and only when it's in the foreground.... anyone?
post #78 of 160
Just got it installed and ran the updates. Now typing is slower in Safari! And I had the latest version and all. For some reason before this update in 10.3.2 I it was not this slow in typing. Please fix this already Apple! (For some reason this did not happen with the Safari update on the iBook like it did on my G4 Cube). Other stuff? Well, haven't used it long enough yet. Just glad to see it did not do anything from what I can tell to my battery life.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #79 of 160
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich
Just got it installed and ran the updates. Now typing is slower in Safari! And I had the latest version and all. For some reason before this update in 10.3.2 I it was not this slow in typing. Please fix this already Apple! (For some reason this did not happen with the Safari update on the iBook like it did on my G4 Cube). Other stuff? Well, haven't used it long enough yet. Just glad to see it did not do anything from what I can tell to my battery life.

Turn off animated gifs. That makes it completely normal again.

Did you do the IOReg command yet?
post #80 of 160
Just FYI, I posted the by now semi-un-yet-traditionally-official edited Archive.bom listing for 10.3.3 over here. Lots o' goodies to ponder.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet?