or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple discontinues current version of Shake

Apple discontinues current version of Shake

post #1 of 29
According to industry sources, Apple has recently discontinued Shake 3.5, listing its status as end-of-life (EOL). The company is expected to introduced an updated version of the digital effects compositing software in mid-April at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) conference. The new version, which is rumored to go by the codename "Perfect Storm," will likely debut alongside new versions of Apple's Final Cut HD and Motion applications, according to a previously published report by ThinkSecret. In the report, the online publication predicts that Apple will introduce a professional video editing suite, code named "Happy Meal," that will bundle Shake with Final Cut, Motion, and one or two all-new video applications. The production suite will compliment Apple's consumer-oriented iWork and iLife software packages. Another video (or animation?) application, code-named Fantasia, is also reportedly under development, according to the same report.
post #2 of 29
Yeah baby!!

Finally we get to see the Shake that everybody has been waiting for. I'd bet Apple developers put A LOT of work into this application.

Be prepared to be amazed folks.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 29
I just pray that they drop the price, I don't like being teased.
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
I just pray that they drop the price, I don't like being teased.

Or how about freakin' and education price? I'll freaking get certified in Shake and join the Apple Consultants Network if I have to(they send a free copies to Shake certified consultants). That's not cheap but it's better than shelling out $3k
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 29
how long has the current version of shake been out.
I have a mac (g4) at home donated by work and was looking at getting hold of shake to learn and train myself up on. I'm not really that impressed with the way apple are very quick to put a product on to end of life when it appears to not've been out that long, and especially before a replacement product is available.

:-/
post #6 of 29
I would love to see the new version of shake made lower, and some decent edu prices...but I think there is a huge opprotunity here for an express tool... think about it: Apple could put together a suit for ~799 - FCE, Shake Express, and logic express. the killer app for video.

also, look at the posibilities here if apple changes the prices and puts it wuth the pro suite.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Or how about freakin' and education price? I'll freaking get certified in Shake and join the Apple Consultants Network if I have to(they send a free copies to Shake certified consultants). That's not cheap but it's better than shelling out $3k

At MacWorld I looked in to the Consultants Network for the same reason... freebie Pro apps. I'm already an ADC member, so the ACN will give me userland goods to complement my developer tools.

The ADC hardware discount is fab.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by shao
how long has the current version of shake been out.
I have a mac (g4) at home donated by work and was looking at getting hold of shake to learn and train myself up on. I'm not really that impressed with the way apple are very quick to put a product on to end of life when it appears to not've been out that long, and especially before a replacement product is available.

:-/

It's been out almost a year. Shake 3.5 was announced last April.

Xool

Yeah I'm thinking about getting Certified in Logic Pro, Shake and Final Cut Pro. I want to keep my options open.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #9 of 29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by a_greer
[B]I would love to see the new version of shake made lower, and some decent edu prices...but I think there is a huge opprotunity here for an express tool...

Er ....have you heard of motion? I would hate to see a cut down version of shake FC Express should never have been released as it wastes apple developers time from where they should be focusing ... FCP. Motion needs to be a better After effects killer. The timeline needs to be improved ( easier use ) and video needs to render faster. Multiple render output at final render stage. Render once. Motion has keying why do we need a cut down version of shake?

What we really do need is a animation tool ala Maya... by apple.
post #10 of 29
Big news!

Final Cut Pro 2 has been discontinued!

Give me a break.
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by dgurney
Big news!

Final Cut Pro 2 has been discontinued!

Give me a break.

OK.. arm or leg?
post #12 of 29
ok well now apple is offering a 30 dat trial of Shake. wtf?
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac

Why not? With Shake 4 coming out at NAB wouldn't it seem prudent to get people to try Shake?
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #14 of 29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Celco
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
I would love to see the new version of shake made lower, and some decent edu prices...but I think there is a huge opprotunity here for an express tool...

Er ....have you heard of motion? I would hate to see a cut down version of shake FC Express should never have been released as it wastes apple developers time from where they should be focusing ... FCP. Motion needs to be a better After effects killer. The timeline needs to be improved ( easier use ) and video needs to render faster. Multiple render output at final render stage. Render once. Motion has keying why do we need a cut down version of shake?

What we really do need is a animation tool ala Maya... by apple.

Apple could never match Maya. Alias is the best that what they do. Why bother with it? Apple had a chance to buy Alias, or even SGI, and keep Alias, and dump SGI off but they didn't. If your going to pass that up your probably not interested in Making a 3D app, and feel others are doing a fine job with it already.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
Apple could never match Maya. Alias is the best that what they do.

Actually, Pixar already has it's own 3D software, made in house. I'm sure it could give Maya a run for it's money, but I don't think there's any point.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac

How does it work? It only gave me the license key and no app.
My Mac is capable to run it.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Actually, Pixar already has it's own 3D software, made in house. I'm sure it could give Maya a run for it's money, but I don't think there's any point.

Yeah right.
onlooker

onlooker

post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Yeah I'm thinking about getting Certified in Logic Pro, Shake and Final Cut Pro. I want to keep my options open.

From what I hear, I'm not sure how important getting Apple certed is. "It's all about your reel," and resume. Still, I'm hoping to get FCP, Motion, and DVDSP certified in the future. It can't hurt.

- - -

Even if Apple can't match Maya with a 3D app, they could make something that's easier to jump into, more affordable, and it would round out their production suite. It would be similar to Motion, where more advanced/ dedicated users would move up to Maya (like After Effects is to Motion.)

I can't wait for NAB 2005!
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -
From what I hear, I'm not sure how important getting Apple certed is. "It's all about your reel," and resume.

yup
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Even if Apple can't match Maya with a 3D app, they could make something that's easier to jump into, more affordable, and it would round out their production suite. It would be similar to Motion, where more advanced/ dedicated users would move up to Maya (like After Effects is to Motion.)

I can't wait for NAB 2005!

That's actually not a bad idea. It would certainly get the ball rolling towards Apple creating a decent PowerMac workstation that is suitable for highend 3D work in the future.
Possibly buy Silo, and spruce it up a little, and Mac OS X-Ify the interface a bit, or create their own from scratch.
Still - it would be a really cool free iApp that kids would latch onto in a heartbeat.
If Apple had a modeler from Pixar do a small demo on stage, and created a super hero from the incredibles. OMG every kid would want one. Watch the mini sales go through the roof!

Dude I think you just spawned a great idea.
onlooker

onlooker

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Dude I think you just spawned a great idea.

Hahah thanks, but it's not really my idea. With integrated production suites from companies like Avid, Sony, and Adobe being the new standard, it's not out of this world to expect some kind of 3D app from Apple, aimed primarily at editors. What does seem a novel idea (to me at least,) however, is your idea of an "iApp" 3D program. That could be a hit with the kids for sure.
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Yeah right.

From here:
http://www.pixar.com/howwedoit/index.html#

post #23 of 29
Who knows, maybe Apple will work a deal wih Pixar, and offer Marionette for sale some day...

I believe that Maya is in the Pixar pipeline somewhere, but it would be cool to see Apple & Pixar offer a joint produced app covering everything from modeling to rendering...

Steve Jobs once said that the improtant thing about Apple was it made 'the whole widget', meaning the hardware & the OS...

I think that they are extending this with their software offerings over the last half decade or so...

If they would make a fully-featured (and stable!) 3D app, which had tight integration with the rest of their production tools, that would just be great!

Apple really could become the new SGI...
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #24 of 29
Quote:
From here:
http://www.pixar.com/howwedoit/index.html#

Dude that is not a 3D package if it's anything. All that says is they use pixars animation package. There is a big difference. Your still missing 98% of your 3D tools. There is a lot more to dong 3D that just rigging, and key-framing. As a matter of fact. I hear Pixar still doesn't use IK. So if your using that animation package of theirs your stuck only using Forward Kinematics. Talk about doing things old fashioned.
But what Pixar does have that is really good is RenderMan That is a quality rendering app. THere are some new competitors that are stealing a lot of their glory at a lesser price though lately.
onlooker

onlooker

post #25 of 29
Quote:
I hear Pixar still doesn't use IK. So if your using that animation package of theirs your stuck only using Forward Kinematics. Talk about doing things old fashioned.

They decided not to use IK handles, because they use something called Avars instead (animation variables) wich give them far more control over a character. Reverse kinematics is still being used. Sure it may be just an animation module -but the fact that someone can start using it right away without knowing how to use a 3D application, I think is a huge plus.

And don't talk like Maya is the greatest, because it isn't. I know studios that use Softimage XSI for modeling, and the current rendering engine in Maya is complete and utter shit. Lucky for them Pixar will be releasing renderman for them. Sometimes I wonder, which is the more advance tech company.
post #26 of 29
The average 3d hobbiest (or pro using 3d toolsets to compliment their video/graphic design work) would never spend the time to learn any proprietary software. Proprietary software such as Pixar's is specifically designed for their particular pipeline. Workflow is key, UI comes near dead last. Also, animation facilities like Pixar typically stick to either NURBS, Polys OR Sub-Ds and have little support for the other two (again, workflow is key).

At any rate, my point is that Pixar's software will NOT be commercialized. Its just not going to happen... It obviously works well for Pixar, it wouldnt work well for most. Thats where Maya, XSI, Lightwave, 3D Studio, etc. come in.

Honesty though, I dont see Apple trying to compete in this market, there is plenty of competition, from low end to high end.

The idea of a Shake Express is obsurd. Whats the point in low-end node based compositing? Any low-end compositing software will be layer based. A layer based Shake would cease to be Shake.

I think that eventually Motion will gain better compositing capabilities. With that, I think Apple has got its bases covered as far as compositing is concerned...
post #27 of 29
Yes, what people fail to think about is Apple's customer base. Many people don't even conceive of the tasks involved in 3-D modeling, any more than they know how to set up shots for bluescreening. People thought that Apple was somehow going to "Appleize" Shake. Right! What could be more pointless? Are mom & pop going to take their DV camera out, purchase and set up a bluescreen and light it properly, and then do some compositing with crappy 4:1:1 artifact-ridden DV footage?

An easy 3-D app would appeal only to a very small subset of the populace. What most people want to do is already covered by Motion and LiveType. People who know what they're doing are going to use Shake and Maya.

It may happen, but the call for it is questionable.
post #28 of 29
I'm not talking about a lowend consumer 3D application at all. Consumer have no real desire to do 3D. It's like a bug that bites some people and they take the plunge. I'm talking about a 3D app that fights squarely into a Final Cut Pro workflow. Avid already has the template with Avid Xpress Studio Essentials.

http://www.avid.com/products/xpressStudio/

Almost everything you need in a box.

Avid Xpress Studio Essentials.
Seamlessly-integrated content creation suite for DV professionals including Avid Xpress Pro video editing, Avid Pro Tools LE audio production, Avid 3D animation, Avid FX compositing and titling, and Avid DVD authoring plus Digidesign Mbox hardware. All for only $3995 USMSRP (compared to a total retail value of more than $8,000 USMSRP for products purchased individually).

I'd love to see Apple with a bundle equivalent in 2006.

2006 Apple Production Bundle

Final Cut Pro 5.5
Motion Pro 3.0
DVD Studio Pro HD
ProBand Digital Audio Workstation
Perspective (3D app tailored for video)

$1999 in the bundle. Man that's damn near a studio in a box.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #29 of 29
Originally posted by dgurney [/i]
Yes, what people fail to think about is Apple's customer base. Many people don't even conceive of the tasks involved in 3-D modeling, any more than they know how to set up shots for bluescreening. People thought that Apple was somehow going to "Appleize" Shake. Right! What could be more pointless? Are mom & pop going to take their DV camera out, purchase and set up a bluescreen and light it properly, and then do some compositing with crappy 4:1:1 artifact-ridden DV footage?

An easy 3-D app would appeal only to a very small subset of the populace. What most people want to do is already covered by Motion and LiveType. People who know what they're doing are going to use Shake and Maya."

I really dont think you know jack about Apple customer base. Firstly a 3d app WOULD APPEAL to a lot of the FCP users out there. Think lightwave or XSI with a apple interface something webdesigners and titleing designers could use, Im not talking high end digital effects but something that could handle the graphics for a 30 second spot of a music video. Second although apple is selling lots more to moms and dads these days one of apple key customer bases is the creative professional. Live type sucks ass and Motion is no AE at this stage - there needs to be speed inprovs there.[
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple discontinues current version of Shake