or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Annoying Things in Tiger

Annoying Things in Tiger - Page 2

post #41 of 91
The iCal dock icon returns to July 17 when you quit. It used to hold the last launch date. I had it set up to launch every morning to both give me a view of the day and update the icon.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by murk
The iCal dock icon returns to July 17 when you quit. It used to hold the last launch date. I had it set up to launch every morning to both give me a view of the day and update the icon.

that is annoying
post #43 of 91
edit: MacCrazy solved my problem.

the stickies widget is buggy as hell, doesn't save content, cursor disappears randomly.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by r3dx0r
if you select a bookmark in spotlight and hit enter, safari opens a new window. there's no way to open the bookmark in a tab.
the stickies widget is buggy as hell, doesn't save content, cursor disappears randomly.

opens in a new tab on mine - make sure the preference in Safari is changed (open links from applications in... A NEW TAB IN THE CURRENT WINDOW - this is found in the general tab).

I found stickies to work well - the iTunes is very buggy for me - i do have 9,000 songs though and a lot of playlists.
post #45 of 91
damn, i must have missed that
thanks
post #46 of 91
Command-F hijacks the current window to perform the search instead of opening a new one.

Also it's harder to search just in a particular folder
post #47 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by lucida
Command-F hijacks the current window to perform the search instead of opening a new one.

Also it's harder to search just in a particular folder

mine's doing this too, I'm sure it used to open a new window? Anyway just select the box in finder preferences to open new folders in new windows - if you use column view this shouldn't effect you in any other way.
post #48 of 91
Another annoying thing:

iSync: In the menu bar doesn't allow a sync with devices (such as Phone and Palm) it only works with .Mac - you have top open the application to sync with your phone.

Automator: You can't put plug-ins in for mail, for example, for URLs that are sent to you.

Finder: Searching is slow and unstable compared to Spotlight.

Dashboard: iTunes is unstable
post #49 of 91
"add to iPhoto" button only appears for Menu bar Spotlight generated slide shows. Finder generated (select multiple items, context menu "slideshow" or command+f search) slide shows don't show the button.

Also, it's crashy when it does appear, esp. if iPhoto is not currently launched.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #50 of 91
Mail in Panther gave progress reports on send/receive. So you could see, for example, you are currently getting message 5 out of 11.

Tiger Mail is entirely silent. Ouch!
post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by hledgard
Mail in Panther gave progress reports on send/receive. So you could see, for example, you are currently getting message 5 out of 11.

Tiger Mail is entirely silent. Ouch!

It gives a progress report here but tiger mail does seem buggy.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
It gives a progress report here but tiger mail does seem buggy.

do you mean the activity monitor?
post #53 of 91
Yeah, I don't like having to open the activity monitor to view my send/receive status. Mail 1.3 would have it in the main window - can't see why they left it out in Tiger...

Looking forward to 10.4.1, sounds like a good upgrade.
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by superted
Yeah, I don't like having to open the activity monitor to view my send/receive status. Mail 1.3 would have it in the main window - can't see why they left it out in Tiger...

Looking forward to 10.4.1, sounds like a good upgrade.

It's a pain - I suppose the rational behind it is that the outbox is only there when emails are waiting to be sent.
post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
do you mean the activity monitor?

Yep I do sorry. Force of habit I just always keep it open.
post #56 of 91
New annoying thing:

I was bored and was watching the Jobs Macworld Keynote and his iCal Widget showed events on the day he'd selected - was this disabled in Tiger or is it just not working on my machine. Without this function it basically becomes a basic calendar and not anything very functional.
post #57 of 91
Quote:
New annoying thing:

I was bored and was watching the Jobs Macworld Keynote and his iCal Widget showed events on the day he'd selected - was this disabled in Tiger or is it just not working on my machine. Without this function it basically becomes a basic calendar and not anything very functional.

Not sure what you mean, but ical has an icon in the lower right which opens a list of _all_ events for the day - includes todos as well.
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by mmmpie
Not sure what you mean, but ical has an icon in the lower right which opens a list of _all_ events for the day - includes todos as well.

i can't see that - can u send a picture?
post #59 of 91
1. VPN parameters must be entered separately for each location. Previously entered VPN accounts do not show up as available when creating a new location (It's this way in Panther as well). Big PITA. Why not a fix for such an annoyance?

2. No integrated location management accross apps & prefs.

3. Open a Finder window. Click on the button in the upper right corner to shrink the window and eliminate the sidebar. Position the left edge of the window along the left edge of the monitor. Click to restore larger window format and the sidebar is off screen, requiring re-positioning of the window (same as Panther). Dunno. Is this a lingering UI issue, or just the way it is?

4. Mail.app GOTTA have the mail folders available on the right!

gc
post #60 of 91
Quote:
New annoying thing:

I noticed that also... maybe in 10.4.1?
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG
I noticed that also... maybe in 10.4.1?

well mmmpie seems to have fully functional iCal widget already.
post #62 of 91
Quote:
well mmmpie seems to have fully functional iCal widget already.

I think mmmpie is talking about iCal the application and not the widget...

The "Calendar Widget" help states:
Using the Calendar widget
The Calendar widget conveniently displays the current date and monthly calendar.

Open the Calendar widget in Dashboard.
Click the large date display to show or hide the monthly calendar.
When the monthly calendar is visible, click the Up or Down arrow buttons at the bottom of the widget to go to the previous or next month.
To go back to the current day, click the center (diamond) button.
For more extensive personal calendar and datebook features, use the iCal application included with Mac OS X.

Doesn't mention listings things for the day... but it would be nice if it did.

I took a look inside the Calendar.widget file and it has some kind of plugin.
post #63 of 91
Found another small annoyance...

The Dictionary widget doesn't remember it's size after you close it. Also, it says "Dictionary" and "Thesaru" on the widget; the S is missing.
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by jabohn
The Dictionary widget doesn't remember it's size after you close it. Also, it says "Dictionary" and "Thesaru" on the widget; the S is missing.

It has the "s" on Thesaurus here. I have never resized it.
post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by kwsanders
It has the "s" on Thesaurus here. I have never resized it.

Here's what I get:

On a lighter note, I just discovered that screenshots are now in PNG format and to convert to other formats in Preview you use "Save As" rather than "Export" now.
post #66 of 91
I saw several messages about screenshots being in PDF format. I am thinking that those people may have been referring to Panther. When I did my first screenshot under Tiger, it saved a PNG file to the desktop.
post #67 of 91
I hate the new safari tab-switcher... before I was able to press command - shift - left/right arrow key to scroll through the tabs at ANYTIME. Now though, if i am in a text field, this doesnt work.. or if safari is loading a link (but hasn't fetched any content yet) this does not work.

whats up with this behaviour ? I want to be able to switch between tabs with these keyboard commands regardless of what is happening inside that tab!!! This was perfect before, now I find my self having to click the tabs with the mouse to change. Because most frequently, you will want to switch to another tab while this one is loading...
In the real world, ignorance is truly a bliss.
In the real world, ignorance is truly a bliss.
post #68 of 91
Quote:
Here's what I get:

On a lighter note, I just discovered that screenshots are now in PNG format and to convert to other formats in Preview you use "Save As" rather than "Export" now.

You're lacking a font. It's in something with serifs here.

Amorya
post #69 of 91
The activity monitor is too heavy for sending mail.

If you sent mail with an attachment, it was nice to see in Panther that it was, say, 65% sent. Or that 12 out of 22 messages had been received.

Also, the look and feel of the new email is not so nice, e.g. unusable features are too greyed out. New and Get Mail are not on the left, where they should be as frequent options.

Apple, please fix!
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorya
You're lacking a font. It's in something with serifs here.

I wondered if that was the issue. I experimented and narrowed it down to the font "Baskerville". Now it shows up fine.

Some other annoyances...
Mail uses little boxes with round corners to show the number of unread messages in a mailbox and they also show up on email addresses and the Save button for attachments. But the text in those boxes is not vertically centered and just looks very strange. In fact, in the FROM field for an email message, the name and address is slightly cut off at the top.

Also, when you click JUNK MAIL for a message, the item turns to junk, disappears from the list, then reappears for a split second, then disappears again.

In System Preferences every time I launch it, the Classic button takes a little longer to show up in the list. It just looks weird.
post #71 of 91
Quote:
I wondered if that was the issue. I experimented and narrowed it down to the font "Baskerville". Now it shows up fine.

Some other annoyances...
Mail uses little boxes with round corners to show the number of unread messages in a mailbox and they also show up on email addresses and the Save button for attachments. But the text in those boxes is not vertically centered and just looks very strange. In fact, in the FROM field for an email message, the name and address is slightly cut off at the top.

Also, when you click JUNK MAIL for a message, the item turns to junk, disappears from the list, then reappears for a split second, then disappears again.

In System Preferences every time I launch it, the Classic button takes a little longer to show up in the list. It just looks weird.

same here - i think the classic preference was only visible in the beta with OS 9 installed but they obviously decided it would make sense for usability to leave it in - maybe that's why it's a little dodgy!
post #72 of 91
Quote:
I hate the new safari tab-switcher... before I was able to press command - shift - left/right arrow key to scroll through the tabs at ANYTIME. Now though, if i am in a text field, this doesnt work.. or if safari is loading a link (but hasn't fetched any content yet) this does not work.

whats up with this behaviour ? I want to be able to switch between tabs with these keyboard commands regardless of what is happening inside that tab!!! This was perfect before, now I find my self having to click the tabs with the mouse to change. Because most frequently, you will want to switch to another tab while this one is loading...

Well that is reeeeeeeeeeeeally annoying. I do just that, go to another tab when content is loading. UGH.

Also Mail is fugly. Are they REALLY going to leave it like that? It just looks stupid.

And Migration Assistant...does not see my hard drive with Panther on it...
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #73 of 91
Safari switching tabs when a page is loading works fine for me, the arrow shortcut doesn't work for tabs when there is text because it is used to select text but the square bracket shortcuts always work for me.
post #74 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by hledgard
New and Get Mail are not on the left, where they should be as frequent options.

Select View-->Customize Toolbar... or Right-click the toolbar and move the buttons wherever you want.
post #75 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Endymion
Select View-->Customize Toolbar... or Right-click the toolbar and move the buttons wherever you want.

or press command and drag the icons
post #76 of 91
I ran into big trouble with Safari's new handeling of PDF files. They use to download, which is what I usually want (mostly scientific papers posted on publishers web sites). However, I'm finding that many links to PDF files won't allow me to download the actual file (ctrl download...) and the page that opens with the PDF file can't be saved as a PDF. The files get saved as web pages.

Doesnanybody know how to turn off the display of PDF files within Safari so that they get downloaded as in the previous version?

Apple gives and Apple takes..
post #77 of 91
anyone else having major problems with firewire hard drives? i have 3 hooked up, and an iPod. if i leave them alone for more than 10 minutes i have to do a force-shut down because they become unreadable and lock up finder.
post #78 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
anyone else having major problems with firewire hard drives? i have 3 hooked up, and an iPod. if i leave them alone for more than 10 minutes i have to do a force-shut down because they become unreadable and lock up finder.

mine are fine - well one!
post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
I ran into big trouble with Safari's new handeling of PDF files. They use to download, which is what I usually want (mostly scientific papers posted on publishers web sites). However, I'm finding that many links to PDF files won't allow me to download the actual file (ctrl download...) and the page that opens with the PDF file can't be saved as a PDF. The files get saved as web pages.

Doesnanybody know how to turn off the display of PDF files within Safari so that they get downloaded as in the previous version?

Apple gives and Apple takes..

adobe reader 7 helps- if installed click detect and repair in the help menu.

In the past QuickTime provided the PDF so you could turn it off but that's not there any more. Umm, it should save as a PDF and it should give you the option if you control-click on the link - press option for more options.
post #80 of 91
Quote:
adobe reader 7 helps- if installed click detect and repair in the help menu.

In the past QuickTime provided the PDF so you could turn it off but that's not there any more. Umm, it should save as a PDF and it should give you the option if you control-click on the link - press option for more options.

Thanks, I got it working now. I never thought to control-click on the safari window with the PDF file. It gives the option to open in Acrobat (funny it doesn't offer Preview as an option). Before, I was going for the Save as menu item, which didn't help.

Tiger is a good kitty again
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Annoying Things in Tiger