or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Archery (feel free to post pictures)

Archery (feel free to post pictures)

post #1 of 23
Howdy, I'm an archer, i do it for a hobby, dunno if i would hunt. but its a neat hobby, as well as exspensive one to have, however, i enjoy it and its worth it. and i own 2 bows, one is a compound, and the other is a recurve, so i can get a dose of modern as well as traditional feels i have pics, and so if any of you also like to post pics of your bows, feel free...

My Bows

sorry that the pictures arent right here in the thread, forgot how to do that \ , so i went to the next best thing
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #2 of 23
That's a sweet bow. How much did that cost you?
post #3 of 23
Ah, a fellow archer .

I own a OK Match. OK is a small german high quality bow maker company.

Until last week, my bow looked like this:

I just bought an original OK stabilizer (as this one).
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by iPeon
You might want to edit your link, http://%20http://homepage.mac.com/ra...otoAlbum4.html will not take you there.

That's a sweet bow. How much did that cost you?

your right... it didnt take me there...

the recurve was 180, and the compound was 250
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by GSpotter
Ah, a fellow archer .

I own a OK Match. OK is a small german high quality bow maker company.

Until last week, my bow looked like this:

I just bought an original OK stabilizer (as this one).

thats a nice bow
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #6 of 23
I did archery a little in high school, and a little bit before that. It's a neat hobby. I definitely really enjoyed it. Never really felt too compelled to get my own nice bow or anything though.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #7 of 23
nice, yea, my compound im thinking maybe a lil exspensive for me to play w/... b/c its 100$ to change the bow string(s) as they have have a few that do certain things and such
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #8 of 23
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
post #9 of 23
how about this, my recurve bow was made by howard hill, he was my neighbor in calif. when i was a boy he would split arrows at 60 yards. i saw the steel arrow that was used to kill a charging bull elephant (i believe he was the first to down a bull elephant with bow) i also saw the first arrow shot, which bounced off and stepped on, he reloaded and downed him at 25 yards as his SECOND shot. he had guts
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by klinux

thats sweet
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
how about this, my recurve bow was made by howard hill, he was my neighbor in calif. when i was a boy he would split arrows at 60 yards. i saw the steel arrow that was used to kill a charging bull elephant (i believe he was the first to down a bull elephant with bow) i also saw the first arrow shot, which bounced off and stepped on, he reloaded and downed him at 25 yards as his SECOND shot. he had guts

he must be good i was good... now im regaining my skill as an archer from over the winter hybernation session of my stillness
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER

And his name was Legolas by any chance?
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #13 of 23
No offense klinux, but I think that you are supposed to shoot it the other way...no?

post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by maninmac
No offense klinux, but I think that you are supposed to shoot it the other way...no?

perhaps, but i think thats sick(in the good way fashion).... i wanna learn how to do that -lights a cigar and watches-
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by ragingloogie
perhaps, but i think thats sick(in the good way fashion).... i wanna learn how to do that -lights a cigar and watches-

I'd be afraid that the arrow would hit my arm that was holding the bow... Especially if the bow isn't held firmly in place when you let go of the bow string. I can't see that as being a very accurate way to fire the bow. Maybe I'm wrong. :-\\
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by pyr3
I'd be afraid that the arrow would hit my arm that was holding the bow... Especially if the bow isn't held firmly in place when you let go of the bow string. I can't see that as being a very accurate way to fire the bow. Maybe I'm wrong. :-\\

if you do it long enough all you usually need to worry about is missing the target and loosing the arrow:-\\ thats what i would be afraid of.... especially w/ exspensive arrows
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by ragingloogie
if you do it long enough all you usually need to worry about is missing the target and loosing the arrow:-\\ thats what i would be afraid of.... especially w/ exspensive arrows

As someone who knows NOTHING about the sport what sort of costs are involved in buying all the kit etc ?

just interested

j.
www.pixelrevolution.com/webcam/
2.66 MacPro, 15" MacbookPro
"I think I once saw Steve Jobs at Seaworld"
www.vrhull.co.uk/(click an ad and earn me some cash)
www.pixelrevolution.com/webcam/
2.66 MacPro, 15" MacbookPro
"I think I once saw Steve Jobs at Seaworld"
www.vrhull.co.uk/(click an ad and earn me some cash)
post #18 of 23
It always depends on the quality of the stuff.
I bought my bow used (actually the pic above was made by the seller) complete with a case for about 500.

You can get a bow for under $100, but you can also easily spend more than $1500 just for the bow. For arrows, you can go from under $4 to over $40 per arrow. Usually, you'll buy 12 arrows as a bundle. They are customized for each archer (everybody has a different draw weight / draw length ands needs therefore arrows of different stiffness and length, no matter what quality).

Last week, I bought 12 Easton A/C Navigator and paid about 250 ...

When you start archery, you should never buy a bow immediately! Archery shops typically offer a rental program, because of the typicall learning curve:

While learning archery, you'll use some muscles which are otherwise seldomly used. So you start with a low draw weight (i.e. below 30 lbs). After some training, you'll switch to a stronger bo (and so on). Therefore it is not cost effictive to buy each time a new bow (or at least new bow limbs).

Eventually, you'll reach a drawing weight you feel comfortable with. (I.e. you can reach the longer distance targets and you are still able to shoot a full tournament without collapsing). Ragingloogie wrote on his homepage that his Recurve has a draw weight of 45 lbs. That's too much for me. I shoot with 34 lbs.
post #19 of 23
yea... ive bought my bows cheap, my compound was 250$, i used to spend 3$ per arrow, now im spending 5$ per arrow... and my recurve bow was 180$ and the arrows im getting for it are also about 5$ per arrow... then you invest into a block(if you wish) i did b/c the range i went to would destroy the fletches on my arrows... so i have that... then you have stuff like a string that i have for when i go to string my recurve... that was 13$ and a new rest i bought for my compound was 25$... so it can get exspensive.... when i need to change the string on my compound, itll run me about 100$ just for the string.... not looking forward to that day
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #20 of 23
Here's a picture of me arching with my favorite bit of kit.

post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Here's a picture of me arching with my favorite bit of kit.

not a bad photoshop job... the edges of the body have some rough spots... but not many... not bad though....
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #22 of 23
That was just my initial mockup; I redid the knockout and stuff yesterday.
post #23 of 23
ah... ok... sounds nifty. have fun
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Archery (feel free to post pictures)