or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sudden Motion Sensor fixed to HDD?

Sudden Motion Sensor fixed to HDD?

post #1 of 6
I have a question about the Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS) technology in the new PowerBooks. Is it a part of the hard disk drive (HDD)? That is, will replacing the HDD mean a loss in SMS capability? Or is the SMS detector separate from the HDD? Thanks.
PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #2 of 6
I believe it's seperate, because people were able to hack it to switch iTunes songs by tilting the thing etc. This would suggest that the sensor data can be accessed by the computer in a way that I'd guess doesn't pass through the HD cable but some other component.

I'd wait for confirmation though.
post #3 of 6
I'm thinking that the HDD may just be a standard 2.5in HDD and the detector is external to it. Can anyone confirm?
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #4 of 6
In the 1.8 inch and 1 inch drives that the manufacturers make though such sensors are built into the drive.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #5 of 6
Apple's sensor is outside the drive and accessible from the operating system.

It is unrelated to possible drive-integrated sensors.
post #6 of 6
Cool. That means upgrading the PowerBook's HDD will not affect any SMS capability. Thanks!
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Sudden Motion Sensor fixed to HDD?