or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple finally rolls out 8-core Mac Pro

Apple finally rolls out 8-core Mac Pro - Page 2

post #41 of 165
I'm not happy. I'm super glad that Apple released the 8 core today at 3ghz and not 2.66... but they didn't change ANYTHING ELSE. No new graphics cards, no price drops, no standard ram (macbook pro comes with more ram), No new burner options, what the hell apple!?

You're telling me that after 9 months of being released the hardware prices haven't changed at all? Ram hasn't significantly dropped to almost ddr2 prices, no new graphics cards have come out?

Screw this... I have an e6700 laying around... I'll build it myself damnit. Apple just lost a harware sale from me. I'm glad I bought my 2.33mbp cause this is a joke of something I waited for. This is hardly a Rev B machine, more like a Rev A.b machine.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #42 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

NAB maybe ... 16 Core + Blu-Ray?

16 cores possible on the XServer, use a bunch of them as Server rendering farm or for collages building super computers. Possible.
Nah on the Blue
post #43 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I was hoping this would come with a price drop on the other processor configs. Oh, well.

I'm right there with you... 9 months and they only add a config to the top?

I understand that we're not gonna see a higher clock on the woodcrest processors and we're closing in on the next chip generations awfully fast (well who knows when they'll actually find their way in a mac), but no price drop or additional video card options? Kinda weak if you ask me...

Gonna wait till I can get leopard on a Mac Pro before I buy one... don't want to do a clean install on a 2-3 month old setup.
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
post #44 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This tells me that new Cimena Dispalys w/ an iSight camera and IR receiver are coming soon.

My sentiments, too. I miss the consistency.

PS: Is anyone actually planning on getting an 8-core Mac Pro? Scratch that! Is anyone planning on using any PC with a Clovertown CPU in it. I don't think I have any programs that can come close to dealing with a 4 core processor.

New cinema display coming with LED, iSight starting at 22 inches same price as old ones.
post #45 of 165
Quote:

I meant 4 x '3 GHz Intel 5300' ... and only kidding But then again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

As the 53*0s aren't MP capable, it's impossible.

It's a limitation placed on the chip by Intel when the chip is packaged. From every indication that I can see, Tigerton is supposed to be the four-way version of the same chip, which will get a different series numbering. I don't think the four-socket chipset is available yet.

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if Jony Ive really does anything to deserve that $1 million per annum...

It might be what they need to do to keep him from working for a competitor. There's a lot of time spent iterating and fine tuning designs such that they are right. It's more than just the look, there's the aspect of manufacturability and assembly as well.
post #46 of 165
Quote:

PS: Is anyone actually planning on getting an 8-core Mac Pro? Scratch that! Is anyone planning on using any PC with a Clovertown CPU in it. I don't think I have any programs that can come close to dealing with a 4 core processor.

You don't need any programs that use a 4 core processor. If you're running 8 programs at a time, the OS can assign a core to each of them, so they can run their instructions through the processor without waiting on the instructions of any other program.
post #47 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

New cinema display coming with LED, iSight starting at 22 inches same price as old ones.

I'd think all the Cinema Displays will get an iSight and IR receiver imbedded. Not just the >22" models.

Any word on how the LED displays are beign produced? In other words, will Apple be able to maintain it's current sizing or will they have to move to slightly different sizes to fit thise new manufacturing method.Assuming, of course, this is the route they go in.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #48 of 165
Quote:

Don't give on on NAB yet for another Mac Pro or at least a seriously tricked out one. There has been talk of a $10,000 HD machine to take on high end Avids. The BBC in UK just announced they were moving their HD department over to FCPro... maybe they know something we don't yet.

There's always talk. But, seriously, why would they announce this now, a week before the trade show, and then announce another one then?

We've heard so much about what Apple was waiting for, and now this nebulous timing. We read that Apple will announce on March 27th, when Adobe announced the new CS3. They didn't. Then we read that they will announce during NAB, but they didn't wait for that. We also read that they will announce when CS3 is available later in April, but they didn't wait for that either.

We've even read that they would wait for Leopard.

While I feel as though they will come out with a revised model later this year, once the 45 nm Penyrn comes out, that will be a ways off. This is just the speed bump that Apple used to give us twice year, in the old days, before Moto stopped updating their chips on a regular basis.

They might have been waiting for something, but they seem to have decided to release it now instead. I'm wondering if they are going to want to have the talk at NAB centered around their software releases, and any other hardware they may release instead, the same way they didn't talk about anything else except the iPhone, with a small diversion related to the ATv during Macworld.
post #49 of 165
Now with Mac Pro updates

Leopard announcement and Coupon to update the OS X later will be sweet.

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #50 of 165
Quote:

This tells me that new Cimena Dispalys w/ an iSight camera and IR receiver are coming soon.

My sentiments, too. I miss the consistency.

That's really a good question.

If I still had my business, I would be buying some. The reason for that is competition. If the software allows it, any speed gained in rendering tasks is more money in my pocket, and more work can be done in the same time. My competitors will be buying them. As our machines often worked 24 hours a day, cutting time down by 25 to 50% means a lot.

But for the individual, even those who do the same work, it might be different. Depends on just how much time is being spent on these background tasks.

If you need to render, and only have one machine, this would be a money-saver, If you also need to do other work at the same time, and you now have to wait to do it. Those 8 cores could save a lot of hours. Billable hours.

The advantage here is that you can legitimately double bill those hours.

So, if you bill per hour for rendering, or bill per job, and then you bill for other work as well, you can now do both of those tasks at the same time AT FULL SPEED. Thus your hourly income can be doubled, depending on what you are doing. You can then take on more work, or possibly (hopefully), take more time off.

If you don't have that requirement, then this machine is not needed.

Of course, in a few months we will see the Penyrn machine with at least another 30% performance improvement, and possibly other enhancements as well, possibly for less money then this new higher price.
post #51 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I'm not happy. I'm super glad that Apple released the 8 core today at 3ghz and not 2.66... but they didn't change ANYTHING ELSE. No new graphics cards, no price drops, no standard ram (macbook pro comes with more ram), No new burner options, what the hell apple!?

You're telling me that after 9 months of being released the hardware prices haven't changed at all? Ram hasn't significantly dropped to almost ddr2 prices, no new graphics cards have come out?

Screw this... I have an e6700 laying around... I'll build it myself damnit. Apple just lost a harware sale from me. I'm glad I bought my 2.33mbp cause this is a joke of something I waited for. This is hardly a Rev B machine, more like a Rev A.b machine.

This is a speed bump. That's all. It may possibly be the last machine in the line without a new revision of the mobo, at least.

The new machines will come with Penyrn, later this year.

The big change will be for:

http://news.com.com/Intel+to+add+mem...3-6171411.html
post #52 of 165
Yes, that is the next cpu, but how long are we going to have to wait for those from now? (that was a rhetorical question).

I feel like apple dragged their feet as long as possible on this... How hard is it to add a graphics card update? (rhetorical).

Quote:

Quote:

post #53 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I'm beginning to wonder if Jony Ive really does anything to deserve that $1 million per annum...

Yep, that pretty well is the most stupid thing ever written.
post #54 of 165
Quote:

I'd think all the Cinema Displays will get an iSight and IR receiver imbedded. Not just the >22" models.

Any word on how the LED displays are beign produced? In other words, will Apple be able to maintain it's current sizing or will they have to move to slightly different sizes to fit thise new manufacturing method.Assuming, of course, this is the route they go in.

The push is for higher resolution, Leopard is coming, finer detail at same image (inches) size doe to larger number of dots per inch.
post #55 of 165
Quote:

Yes, that is the next cpu, but how long are we going to have to wait for those from now? (that was a rhetorical question).

I feel like apple dragged their feet as long as possible on this... How hard is it to add a graphics card update? (rhetorical).

As I see it there isn't enough time at NAB to do a full blown introduction of a Mac Pro along with all the software, so they saved graphics cards until then to add icing on the cake. They better have because I'm getting more upset by the minute.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #56 of 165
Quote:

I know you said that it was rhetorical, but it's still a good question.

Why don't we have, at least the 1950 XT? Or, why not the XTX?

I hope they have something in mind for that soon. I really don't like to have Apple make all my choices for me. But, we need more sales. If that happens, we will see cards from third parties again. The problem is that the Mac Pro's are the only machines Apple sells that will take cards. That limits the customer base too much for other companies.
post #57 of 165
Can anyone say with any degree of accuracy that if you buy a machine now the next gen chips will be socket compatible and thus theoretically a drop in upgrade? or will the next gen 45nm??? chips more than likely by a different sock configuration?
post #58 of 165
Quote:

Since forums make it hard to determine emphasis and indirect meaning, we really need a way to make it clear that we are being sarcastic and rhetoric without the lengthy explanation.

How about a backslash after the question:
Yes, that is the next cpu, but how long are we going to have to wait for those from now?/ As for sarcasm, I vote for tilde before and after the sentence(s):

~Yeah, this will catch on like wildfire.~

post #59 of 165
Quote:

Agreed that the video card options are unacceptable, but the Fully Buffered ECC Server RAM on the system definitely keeps the ram upgrades more expensive than standard unbuffered non-ecc DDR2 ram.

Wait for the next OS to buy a workstation.
post #60 of 165
Where is the server... Come on....

Glad to see they finally brought the monitors to something reasonable.
post #61 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBO1219 View Post

Can anyone say with any degree of accuracy that if you buy a machine now the next gen chips will be socket compatible and thus theoretically a drop in upgrade? or will the next gen 45nm??? chips more than likely by a different sock configuration?

I can say with 90% certaincy, that they will NOT be compatible drop ins. Supposedly they chipsets are completely chaning for Penyrn. This is supposedly the last of this series of socket 771. They may keep the same socket, but the chipsets won't allow the drop in replacement.

Quote:

Quote:

post #62 of 165
Quote:

Since forums make it hard to determine emphasis and indirect meaning, we really need a way to make it clear that we are being sarcastic and rhetoric without the lengthy explanation.

How about a backslash after the question:
Yes, that is the next cpu, but how long are we going to have to wait for those from now?/ As for sarcasm, I vote for tilde before and after the sentence(s):

~Yeah, this will catch on like wildfire.~

I like the sarcasm one. Not too sure about the backslash, as it could be mistaken for typos.
What about surrounding it with backslashes?

/Yes, that is the next cpu, but how long are we going to have to wait for those from now?/

I agree something is needed in the forums book of the road

Quote:

Quote:

post #63 of 165
Quote:

Ram hasn't significantly dropped to almost ddr2 prices, no new graphics cards have come out?

FB-DIMMs will brobably never be close to standard DIMMs, it will probably always be like 25% higher than DIMMs. Also, it's rare that Apple's memory pricing is competitive, so that's another 25% to add to the price.
post #64 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

As I see it there isn't enough time at NAB to do a full blown introduction of a Mac Pro along with all the software, so they saved graphics cards until then to add icing on the cake. They better have because I'm getting more upset by the minute.

I know we've crashed heads before, but i'm with you on this one. As Melgross stated, there are better ATI cards than what is available... but what about NVidia? Nvidia is TOASTING ati right now with their 8800gtx and gts. Hell the 8600 is in production now and just starting to ship, that would be a very nice bottom end graphics card. But we have a 7300gt that is stock? Hell the AppleTV comes with a 7300 mobile! I have said it all along, it was a pathetic move for apple to have a sub $100 graphics card ship standard in the mac pro. In today's computers, the graphics card is usually just as much as the cpu. It should AT LEAST have a 7600gt in it.

Apple definitely needs to get this graphics card situation straightened out.

Quote:

Quote:

post #65 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBO1219 View Post

It's unlikely that the 45 nm chips will be drop-in replacable.
post #66 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

FB-DIMMs will brobably never be close to standard DIMMs, it will probably always be like 25% higher than DIMMs. It's rare that Apple's memory pricing is competitive.

I agree, but the prices have significantly dropped since their introduction. They are pretty close as it is.

A 1 gig stick of FB-DIMM is down as low as $150. That's pretty damn close in price. Close enough that it doesn't bother me any more.

Quote:

Quote:

post #67 of 165
Quote:

I know we've crashed heads before, but i'm with you on this one. As Melgross stated, there are better ATI cards than what is available... but what about NVidia? Nvidia is TOASTING ati right now with their 8800gtx and gts. Hell the 8600 is in production now and just starting to ship, that would be a very nice bottom end graphics card. But we have a 7300gt that is stock? Hell the AppleTV comes with a 7300 mobile! I have said it all along, it was a pathetic move for apple to have a sub $100 graphics card ship standard in the mac pro. In today's computers, the graphics card is usually just as much as the cpu. It should AT LEAST have a 7600gt in it.

Nvidia makes no cards. It's either Apple or third parties who makes them.

No market, no make!
post #68 of 165
Quote:

...about the backslash.... with backslashes?

Why isn't "/" just a "slash?"

post #69 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Nvidia makes no cards. It's either Apple or third parties who makes them.

No market, no make!

Apple already has 7600gt's... (iMac 24"), so that would be an easy add to the mac pro. I'll let them slide on the 8800gts, but the 7600gt being absent is inexcusable.

Quote:

Quote:

post #70 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I was hoping this would come with a price drop on the other processor configs. Oh, well.

Me too, wouldn't mind the 2.0ghz one for personal use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #71 of 165
Quote:

It might be what they need to do to keep him from working for a competitor. There's a lot of time spent iterating and fine tuning designs such that they are right. It's more than just the look, there's the aspect of manufacturability and assembly as well.

Let's also not forget disassembly and ease of service. Replacing something as basic as a power supply in a Power Mac G5 Quad was ridiculously complicated. The current iMacs are also a service nightmare.
post #72 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR View Post

So for someone using mostly Photoshop CS3 will upgrading to an 8-core be overkill? Ok to stay with 4-cores? Or should I hold out until NAB and see what ends up happening with a new config?

As I have mentioned a number of times on this forum, unless you have some application that will take advantage of the 8-cores or 4-cores for that matter, don't get all excited and expect a huge performance boost.

Example:

PS3 running in the Intel native mode on dual 3.0 xeon (4-cores) with 8 gigs of ram

Resize 1.3 gig image cymk image CPU usage 20%
Rotate same image 2 degrees - CPU usage 7% (took about 6 minutes)
In either case PS3 never used more than 1.8 gigs of the available ram

Unless there is going to be some huge difference between PS3 beta and the final release, I don't see any real advantage to 8-cores, least not for Photoshop. Maybe Leopard will help some.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #73 of 165
Quote:

I agree totally. There should be a Nvidia 8800 GTX available from the Apple store.

I think there may be a problem with Apple updating because they may have a backlog of Quadro 4500's laying around that they are trying to get rid of before. I think if they introduce a 8800GTX it will outperform the Quadro 4500 in every way - even pro 3D, and unless apple has an NVIDIA Quadro® FX 5600, they wont beat a 8800 GTX, and they will be stuck with a lot of 4500's. If Apple were to release either of those cards I will get the 5600.
onlooker

onlooker

post #74 of 165
Quote:

Apple already has 7600gt's... (iMac 24"), so that would be an easy add to the mac pro. I'll let them slide on the 8800gts, but the 7600gt being absent is inexcusable.

Since Apple has made the choice to limit the upgradable line to the Mac Pro, and give card manufacturers no incentive to make cards for us, then it's also Apple's responsibibity to have a fairly broad line, and keep it up to date, even if it costs them money to do so.
post #75 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I agree totally. There should be a Nvidia 8800 GTX available from the Apple store.

I think there may be a problem with Apple updating because they may have a backlog of Quadro 4500's laying around that they are trying to get rid of before. I think if they introduce a 8800GTX it will outperform the Quadro 4500 in every way - even pro 3D, and unless apple has an NVIDIA Quadro® FX 5600, they wont beat a 8800 GTX, and they will be stuck with a lot of 4500's. If Apple were to release either of those cards I will get the 5600.

Game cards don't beat pro cards in pro 3D work, just as pro cards don't beat game cards in games.

The software on the cards is different in just enough ways as to ensure that the cards do best in the markets they are sold in. You can't look at raw specs. That's never worked.
post #76 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As I have mentioned a number of times on this forum, unless you have some application that will take advantage of the 8-cores or 4-cores for that matter, don't get all excited and expect a huge performance boost.

Example:

PS3 running in the Intel native mode on dual 3.0 xeon (4-cores) with 8 gigs of ram

Resize 1.3 gig image cymk image CPU usage 20%
Rotate same image 2 degrees - CPU usage 7% (took about 6 minutes)
In either case PS3 never used more than 1.8 gigs of the available ram

Unless there is going to be some huge difference between PS3 beta and the final release, I don't see any real advantage to 8-cores, least not for Photoshop. Maybe Leopard will help some.

What people don't get when they say above, is just because 1 application can't use the whole system, doesn't mean it's bad. It's actually a good thing! This way you don't have an application taking over your whole computer you. You can have illustrator using 2 cores, PS using 4 cores, finder / web browser / etc using the other 2 cores. You can now multitask between applications without your computer being slowed down by the other processes.

You still definitely benefit from more cores. OS X handles this just fine as does any BSD unix.

Quote:

Quote:

post #77 of 165
Quote:

You still definitely benefit from more cores. OS X handles this just fine as does any BSD unix.

It's not necessarily good enough though. OS X will schedule a task for any and all processors, even if that task won't use the equivalent of 100% of a core. Rather than reassigning a task to the core it previously ran on, it will assign it to any core it likes. So the task basically takes 25% each of four cores, or 13% each of eight cores, resulting in a needless amount of cache thrashing.
post #78 of 165
Quote:

What people don't get when they say above, is just because 1 application can't use the whole system, doesn't mean it's bad. It's actually a good thing! This way you don't have an application taking over your whole computer you. You can have illustrator using 2 cores, PS using 4 cores, finder / web browser / etc using the other 2 cores. You can now multitask between applications without your computer being slowed down by the other processes.

Also, to go one step further than you have, this is Apple's PRO machine.

Hopefully, most people, and businesses, who buy this, know what they need it for.

As I wrote in post #50, there are very good uses for this machine, if you need it.

If you don't need it, but have the money to buy it anyway, then go for it! Why not?
post #79 of 165
Quote:

It's not necessarily good enough though. OS X will schedule a task for any and all processors, even if that task won't use the equivalent of 100% of a core. Rather than reassigning a task to the core it previously ran on, it will assign it to any core it likes. So the task basically takes 25% each of four cores, or 13% each of eight cores, resulting in a needless amount of cache thrashing.

That's not nearly as much as a problem as you think it is.
post #80 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why isn't "/" just a "slash?"

It is if you're Slashdot--- "/."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple finally rolls out 8-core Mac Pro