or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays

Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays

post #1 of 126
Apple Inc. this fall plans to accelerate its assault on the 1 billion unit worldwide cell phone market with a second incarnation of its iPhone handset that will likely appeal to an even larger audience, AppleInsider has learned.

The move is believed to be part of a broader, all-out blitz on the consumer electronics sector this holiday shopping season, in which a staggering array of gadgets from the Cupertino-based firm is expected to leave would-be rivals confused and unable to react.

Extremely reputable sources have told AppleInsider in recent weeks that the company's iPhone roadmap for the 2007 calendar year includes not one but two distinct models, the second of which is set to turn up just months after the first.

According to one source, development of the second model has followed so closely on the heels of the inaugural iPhone that it was making its final pass through engineering around the same time that today's model hit the manufacturing lines back in May or early June.

Conceived as a scaled back, lower cost alternative to today's iPhone, the second iteration of the handset is presumed to marry iPod functionality with rudimentary cellular capabilities. More resource-heavy Internet browsing and e-mail capabilities are not expected of the device.

In providing the first visual descriptions of the handset, long-standing industry sources -- who've continually been in tune with Apple's future music directions -- have dubbed the device "an iPhone nano" because they say it best describes the the handset's overall form-factor and aesthetic.

Pricing of the new handset is expected to fall significantly below the $500+ asking cost of today's iPhone models, these sources say, but not so much so as to pinch sales of an upcoming revision to the iPod nano.

Like today's iPhone, the new model is expected to sport a revolutionary user interface, clues of which may have recently been revealed in a trio of patent filings.

The filings published earlier this month detailed telephone and text entry interfaces for a cellular-capable device via a virtual rotary click-wheel. One in particular described segmenting a click-wheel's circular shape into various regions to enable quick phone dialing by sensing which region was touched.

(The near-simultanious appearance of these filings, ensuing scuffle amongst Wall Street analyst over the prospect of an iPhone nano, and the notion that a corresponding device is actually flirting with manufacturing ramp, all appear to be part of an eerie coincidence at this time.)

In a move that would stand in stark contrast to the June 29th iPhone launch, where supplies were exclusive to Apple and AT&T stores, there's also some informed speculation amongst sources that the new model would be immediately available through a larger network of Apple third-party retailers and AT&T partners.

Further details will be published if and when information becomes available.
post #2 of 126
I might get another one now!!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 126
I always knew that the rotary dialer was just too cool of a concept to die.
post #4 of 126
Finally some actual rumors. I'm sick of "analyst" predictions.

Way to go, AI!

(This must be the first time I've actually complimented you...)

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #5 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Extremely reputable sources...

okay, I'll bite.

Apple announced the iPhone five months early so that the FCC wouldn't trump their announcement. I think that the final approval for the iPhone was at the beginning of June, so it really did take five months to approve. If iPhone "nano" will be released this year, there are only five months to work with. 2+2=... Still don't get it?

This "reputable" source is full of s***.
post #6 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Finally some actual rumors.

Would you listen to yourself?!

Anyway, this is great news... er, rumor.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

okay, I'll bite.

Apple announced the iPhone five months early so that the FCC wouldn't trump their announcement. I think that the final approval for the iPhone was at the beginning of June, so it really did take five months to approve. If iPhone "nano" will be released this year, there are only five months to work with. 2+2=... Still don't get it?

This "reputable" source is full of shit.

No, it doesn't take 5 months. It just appears that way based on when filings are actually published. Several iPhone approvals granted in May were not actually submitted until the second week of March. And please watch your language on these boards. We have many younger members.

Thanks,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #8 of 126
Quote:

The move is believed to be part of a broader, all-out blitz on the consumer electronics sector this holiday shopping season, in which a staggering array of gadgets from the Cupertino-based firm is expected to leave would-be rivals confused and unable to react.

Interesting... Are we talking updates to existing products (iPod/iPhone/ATV/etc.) or do they have something new up their collective sleeves?
post #9 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

I always knew that the rotary dialer was just too cool of a concept to die.

I wrote in this very forum last year that this would be the way to do it. People laughed at me and said I was crazy. Crazy like a Steve, I guess.

Unfortunately, this won't increase the iPhone market to include me. So long as it remains AT&T, I'm not getting one, period. Dammit, Apple, where's that stinkin' widescreen Video iPod with WiFi and Safari?
post #10 of 126
If this is true, they just spit in the face of Apples' most loyal customers.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #11 of 126
so if it's technically not the iPhone that was launched in June, do ALL future (within 5 yrs) Apple cell-phone based products remain under the evil empire of AT&T? Even if it's a smaller/cheaper grade of phone?
post #12 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

Uh, no they didn't. They would be completely different devices. I for one would have absolute zero interest in an iPhone nano as described here.
post #13 of 126
Quote:

Yeah, it sucked when they released the iPod nano. It took me a couple of years to stop hating Apple.

Even today, I still punch people who are wearing them, as I can't direct my rage to the Apple Engineering & Marketing teams.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #14 of 126
Quote:

Uh. No.
post #15 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Even today, I still punch people who are wearing them, as I can't direct my rage to the Apple Engineering & Marketing teams.

Can you describe what you look like so my son and daughter can avoid you?
post #16 of 126
if this is true i'm on it in a second!
post #17 of 126
Heres a random prediction.

Before Christmas, we'll see:
- A cheap iPhone nano, say $100 more than the existing iPod Nano
- A price reduction of the iPhone (not much)
- A 3G iPhone
- A new iPod
- A new iPod Nano
- A new iMac design
- Launch in Europe ()
- Lots of happyness

Also, we might see new MacBook (Pro) designs at some point, probably not this year though.

Pure speculation
post #18 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Several iPhone approvals granted in May were not actually submitted until the second week of March.

I didn't even realise that the iPhone had "several" approvals to go through. Does this mean that some of the required approvals did take five months and some didn't? Seems to me that the so-called iPhone nano would have to go through the same process. Unless you're saying that Apple didn't submit the iPhone for FCC approval until March, I don't see your point.

But we'll see if this does turn out. And by your word, the approval process is at least 6 weeks long, so the likelihood is that we'll know fairly soon. I'm still not buying it.
post #19 of 126
You're a little late on this rumor. Reuters started circulating it on July 9. It's been pretty firmly quashed by now.

NEW YORK, July 9 (Reuters) - Apple Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) plans to launch a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter that could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player, according to a JP Morgan report.

Not only would it be the dumbest marketing decision in the history of Apple (and there have been some doozies) because the new phone as described would be no more desirable than the failed Motorola RAZR, but recirculating these kinds of rumors just hurts Apple and helps Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, LG, Sony-Ericsson, Verizon, Sprint, et al. by engendering FUD among potential purchasers of iPhone.

Is that what you wanted to do? Aren't there plenty of Apple-positive rumors you could make up instead? Do you want to compete for hits with CNET, Computerworld, ZDNet, and all of the other Apple-negative sites?
post #20 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Heres a random prediction.

Before Christmas, we'll see:
- Launch in Europe ()

What about a launch in Canada? I hope this happens within the next few months
post #21 of 126
Quote:

Finally some actual rumors. I'm sick of "analyst" predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Would you listen to yourself?!

Uhh... am I missing something?

I come to this site to get dirt, not read regurgitated analyst reports.

I'm not saying I believe this necsisarily... just that it's nice to read a RUMOR once in a while.

Gets my tech-lust blood flowing again.

-Clive
post #22 of 126
Quote:

1) In what way? And, even then, given Apple's prior history in doing something like this, why did those customers buy?

2) Customers could consider becoming shareholders.

Overall, this is just some inherent creative destruction...... (at a tad fast clip, though).
post #23 of 126
I love this part:

Quote:
in which a staggering array of gadgets from the Cupertino-based firm is expected to leave would-be rivals confused and unable to react.

But hopefully it's not a repeat of "shock and awe" -

This makes more sense then some other stories about this phone, except for the rotary thing which I think is a decoy. I can picture a wafer thin nano-like device with full screen display and iPhone like gestures. Minus the wifi maybe. But with iPod features like the current nano and perhaps video.

I like the really thin form factor of the nano and it's rounded edges. But I don't know how small a phone radio can be.

Finally, I'd say Apple competitors are already confused. They (the competition) just don't get it. They're like the American car makers who keep cranking out ugly bulky boring cars of yesteryear while the Europeans and Japanese and just about everyone else get more stylish and nimble. With Apple a lot of the magic is marketing. But they've also delivered goods that shame the rest.
post #24 of 126
Quote:

Uhh... am I missing something?

I come to this site to get dirt, not read regurgitated analyst reports.

I'm not saying I believe this necsisarily... just that it's nice to read a RUMOR once in a while.

Gets my tech-lust blood flowing again.

-Clive

Heh, heh. I understand, but it was a humorous choice of words.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 126
Ummm, I guess that's cool, but since when did apple become nokia? I want to see some goddamn MACS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #26 of 126
Quote:

Er.. how so?
post #27 of 126
1) I think this device sounds great. I really want a device for my Mom who can't really use a cell phone but who could benefit from syncing and keeps asking for an ipod. she would never want the iphone, but something smaller simpler that is phone + ipod would be great.

2) I think even the iPhone could be sold thru a much wider channel. the activation strategy really allows anyone to sell it, even give it as a gift...

3) I don't think loyal customers will be bothered much, most of them want the full function iphone anyway.

4) I hope it is not the UI shown in that patent, that seemed rather painful.
post #28 of 126
I don't know, I kinda already feel like the iPhone is an iPod with rudimentary phone features. It was the other features that sold me on the iPhone, but the phone part still feels a bit tacked on to me.
post #29 of 126
Quote:

Further details will be published if and when information becomes available.

As opposed to what? Shutting AI down and starting a knitting blog?
post #30 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

As opposed to what? Shutting AI down and starting a knitting blog?

Well, normally they say "We'll never mention this again" at the bottom of their articles A knitting blog would be interesting though

http://www.alternativeknitting.co.uk/
post #31 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolox View Post

What about a launch in Canada? I hope this happens within the next few months

Personnally, I hope this happens in the next few DAYS !

Wake up Rogers and give us some half-decent pricing to go with it...

http://www.petitiononline.com/iPhone99/petition.html
post #32 of 126
well I meant that the iphone has like several major functions to it, internet, email, ipod, phone. she does not need all that but it would be nice to have a better UI for her than the typical phone.
post #33 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

so if it's technically not the iPhone that was launched in June, do ALL future (within 5 yrs) Apple cell-phone based products remain under the evil empire of AT&T? Even if it's a smaller/cheaper grade of phone?

Why is AT&T an 'evil empire'?

the "new" AT&T is nothing but four original RBOCs (Soutwestern Bell, Pacific Bell, South Central Bell and Ameritech).

Many don't realize this, but Verizon was part of the "Evil Empire" once too. They were an RBOC (regional bell operating company).

The AT&T that you are referring to (the one that was broken up in 1984) died a slow an painful death. Its demise was final when SBC purchased it in 2003.

I don't think any one of the 4 major Wireless providers is necessarily bad or good. But to the point of Apple working with one of them, I doubt they would release a CDMA-based phone when 95% of the world is on GSM. So that leaves out Sprint and Verizon.
post #34 of 126
If this was true, then .... Where is the FCC filling?
post #35 of 126
Apple would sell a TON of these. My kids would be all over getting a phone that would play their iTunes music, and eliminate their need to carry around two devices. They don't care about the extra internet access features, and a lower cost would make it much more attractive.

Get the cost closer to the cost for a video iPod and I think you would have a run away hit.

Better address the txt messaging issues first though (lack of MMS, no repeating alerts for missed messages, etc)...
post #36 of 126
I don't believe it. Taking features away from the current model may drop the price marketing wise sufficiently for the masses, however it would seriously reduce its apeal.

I go with them releasing an even better iPhone with video recording capabilities, a camera in the front with higher resolution, GPS, more software applications and the option of turning on a new G3 network chip. This at the same price as the current iPhone.

The current iPhone then becomes the iPhone of the masses at a $150 to $200 price drop.

Maybe my brain is twisted, but this sounds like a more likely approach to spark additional sales both at the high end and the low end.
post #37 of 126
Quote:

Nice reaction. Some folks want a nice phone and audio/video device. Others want a portable laptop in the palm of their hands that is a phone, audio/video player.

It's smart.
post #38 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I didn't even realise that the iPhone had "several" approvals to go through. Does this mean that some of the required approvals did take five months and some didn't? Seems to me that the so-called iPhone nano would have to go through the same process. Unless you're saying that Apple didn't submit the iPhone for FCC approval until March, I don't see your point.

The FCC also agrees to keep certain things private until the product is launched or about to be launched. There could be evaluation processes underway that have not been disclosed.
post #39 of 126
Still.. I don't see Apple releasing 2 similar products with 2 different ways to make a call (touch-screen dial pad vs touch-screen scroll wheel).
post #40 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

You're a little late on this rumor. Reuters started circulating it on July 9. It's been pretty firmly quashed by now.

NEW YORK, July 9 (Reuters) - Apple Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) plans to launch a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter that could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player, according to a JP Morgan report.

It has neither been confirmed nor quashed. A JP Morgan overseas analyst made the prediction; JP Morgan US HQ said they did not agree. Because of JP Morgan's overall reputation, even the ramblings of a rogue analyst have been taken seriously and widely reported. More reported, actually, than the subsequent retraction from HQ.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays