or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models - Page 4

post #121 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Apple is getting there for me. When the iPhone came out I looked at that 8 gigs and the use of OS X, thought about the potential of developers jumping on an SDK and figured 8 gigs wouldn't make it. 16 gigs now look like the minimum with the SDK arriving this month. When you think of potential apps that will arrive this year along with the other stuff that will now be in a fully used iPhone memory is going to be the key.

Exactly what I was going to say. Memory upped just in time for the SDK to be released.

I believe that there are already major developers ready with finished or almost finished apps for your iPhone/iTouch. You're going to want as much memory on your iPhone/iTouch as possible once you can put applications on it.
post #122 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Not related to the iPhone since its ATT. But if your on Sprint or Verizon 3G is available in most areas.

I believe that all the carriers share their 3g with each other. Exact coverage by each carrier is a little convoluted, but I suspect that it is a reflection of where they have services already available.

Perhaps a look at ATT and compare the others by specfic regions would help determine who is best and where. http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
post #123 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I believe that all the carriers share their 3g with each other. Exact coverage by each carrier is a little convoluted, but I suspect that it is a reflection of where they have services already available.

Perhaps a look at ATT and compare the others by specfic regions would help determine who is best and where. http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Im sorry but you are mis-informed. All carriers have their own networks. I have no idea what goes on between ATT and Tmobile, but I know that Sprint has roaming agreements with Alltel to use their 3G network where Sprint does not have native coverage. Also Verizons native coverage is pretty good from what I have heard. Virtually everywhere I travel I have 3G access with Sprint in the US.
post #124 of 226
Hopefully this means a 32GB/3G for the next iPhone refresh.
post #125 of 226
Any word on what the version is on those new iPhones?
SDK will be out this month right? No update?
I Jailbreaked my iPhone but haven´t been able to activate it...

zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #126 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Im sorry but you are mis-informed. All carriers have their own networks. I have no idea what goes on between ATT and Tmobile, but I know that Sprint has roaming agreements with Alltel to use their 3G network where Sprint does not have native coverage. Also Verizons native coverage is pretty good from what I have heard. Virtually everywhere I travel I have 3G access with Sprint in the US.

Yes they have their own networks, but not the towers which they lease from tower companies such as American Tower, Crown Castle International (CCI), and SBA Communications (SBAC), etc., who in turn lease their towers to all the cell phone companies.

Obviously, the bigger the cell phone company, the greater the number of towers they manage in their respective network.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/American_Tower_(AMT)
post #127 of 226
Does anybody know why $1 for a iPod is less worth than $1 for a Mac.
When I buy a iPod 32GB in the US I have to pay $499, when I do the same in the Austrian store I have to pay 459. But when I buy a Mac mini (base configuration) in the US I have to pay $599, in the Austrian store I have to pay 599.
So for the iPod the ratio is: $1=0,90
for the Mac the ratio is : $1=1
As I am in the market for a Mac and not a iPod, this isn't nice!
For the difference in the ratio I could even buy a Apple mouse and keyboard for the mini
post #128 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

Does anybody know why $1 for a iPod is less worth than $1 for a Mac.
When I buy a iPod 32GB in the US I have to pay $499, when I do the same in the Austrian store I have to pay €459. But when I buy a Mac mini (base configuration) in the US I have to pay $599, in the Austrian store I have to pay €599.
So for the iPod the ratio is: $1=€0,90
for the Mac the ratio is : $1=€1
As I am in the market for a Mac and not a iPod, this isn't nice!
For the difference in the ratio I could even buy a Apple mouse and keyboard for the mini

Because you don't deserve it!

What?

That's right. You made your bed, or at least your parents did, and now you have to sleep in it.

First of all, it seems to reason that an American product would be priced less in the US than in another country. Packaging, distribution, translation, legal fees, marketing, promotion, advertising, etc., done under US standards and regulations vs any incremental costs that may be applied by foreign custom agencies, brokers and transportation organizations. These are just a few of the handful of factors that may play a part in the final consideration.

Don't forget the monetary fluctuations and the cost of goods, i.e., parts, etc., at the time of development, production and distribution contribute to the final pricing.

Other important considerations may include internal market structures factored by cost of living, salaries, market volume and dynamics, and even the size of the package and its affect on the environment.

The list goes on. However, keep in mind, that there may be a regional surcharge placed on an item simply by the category it is placed in. In some countries there is a surtax on "music" players, or a part or parts of it. Note that such could cause an incremental costs for manpower, legal and packaging, etc. Albeit small but it all adds up.

Oh, don't forget product support.

And lastly, and probably it may simply just be where you live. That's the way they do it. It just belies everything. And that's the bed you made and now you have to sleep in it.

By the way, we are, sort to speak, all in the same bed.
post #129 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The lower priced chips drop in price much less than the higher priced chips do.

Look at older RAM. You will notice that the older chips, per capacity, can actuslly cost more than the newer higher capacity chips.

I suspect that Apple will either lower the price on the older models later, or discontinue them when the price on the larger memory drops enough.

By not trying to drop the price on the lower cap models now, they also partly subsidize the price of the newer models, encouraging people to buy them instead, which will happen in a good number of instances.

This is all standard business practice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Apple's usual business model was that 6 months after releasing a product they would offer more for less. Not more for more. There was never a subsidize and then drop.
post #130 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Yes they have their own networks, but not the towers which they lease from tower companies such as American Tower, Crown Castle International (CCI), and SBA Communications (SBAC), etc., who in turn lease their towers to all the cell phone companies.

Obviously, the bigger the cell phone company, the greater the number of towers they manage in their respective network.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/American_Tower_(AMT)

None of that changes the fact that each indivdual carrier has their own 3g network. It is NOT 1 big network that all carriers share.
post #131 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Because you don't deserve it!

What?

That's right. You made your bed, or at least your parents did, and now you have to sleep in it.

First of all, it seems to reason that an American product would be priced less in the US than in another country. Packaging, distribution, translation, legal fees, marketing, promotion, advertising, etc., done under US standards and regulations vs any incremental costs that may be applied by foreign custom agencies, brokers and transportation organizations. These are just a few of the handful of factors that may play a part in the final consideration.

Don't forget the monetary fluctuations and the cost of goods, i.e., parts, etc., at the time of development, production and distribution contribute to the final pricing.

Other important considerations may include internal market structures factored by cost of living, salaries, market volume and dynamics, and even the size of the package and its affect on the environment.

The list goes on. However, keep in mind, that there may be a regional surcharge placed on an item simply by the category it is placed in. In some countries there is a surtax on "music" players, or a part or parts of it. Note that such could cause an incremental costs for manpower, legal and packaging, etc. Albeit small but it all adds up.

Oh, don't forget product support.

And lastly, and probably it may simply just be where you live. That's the way they do it. It just belies everything. And that's the bed you made and now you have to sleep in it.

By the way, we are, sort to speak, all in the same bed.

It just puzzled me that there is such a big difference in their own product line. As you correctly said music players have a surcharge here, but computers don't.
Anyway regularly I can stand the difference between the US and Europe (I can't change it anyway), but this time I couldn't hold it back and I had to let it go.
post #132 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

I'm just as observant as you are, thanks. I just wanted them the increase the size and keep the price the same, like they tend to do with some updates.

Yeah but they didn't raise the price, they just didn't lower it. Existing model is the same price, you said they rose the price.. they didn't, they merely added a more expensive "newer" model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Gah, why did they have to raise the price 100 bucks, faaaaaaaaaaaack.

That is why I said you are not very observant, you aren't.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #133 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Hopefully this means a 32GB/3G for the next iPhone refresh.

If it doesn't I think I'll join in the group of millions who will kick Jobs in the balls.

Furthermore I think they should seriously consider adding GPS too, they may as well put that Garmin phone out of business before it gets released
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #134 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah but they didn't raise the price, they just didn't lower it. Existing model is the same price, you said they rose the price.. they didn't, they merely added a more expensive "newer" model.

I wonder if the 3G iPhone at these current capacities will be lowered in price. I think the 8 and 16GB models probably will, if they decide to keep the 8GB version.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #135 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

IFurthermore I think they should seriously consider adding GPS too, they may as well put that Garmin phone out of business before it gets released

No GPS for me. I have a stand alone unit for that. The Google Maps locator is good enough for a phone. I don't need an costly chips that will add bulk to the iPhone and drain the battery in 30 minutes when it's on.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #136 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

It just puzzled me that there is such a big difference in their own product line. As you correctly said music players have a surcharge here, but computers don't.
Anyway regularly I can stand the difference between the US and Europe (I can't change it anyway), but this time I couldn't hold it back and I had to let it go.

Yes, but I bet we would pay a heck of a premium for a few Eierschwammerls here. But then, we are big on Campbell's Mushroom soup.
post #137 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

None of that changes the fact that each indivdual carrier has their own 3g network. It is NOT 1 big network that all carriers share.

Isn't that what I said?
post #138 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Furthermore I think they should seriously consider adding GPS too, they may as well put that Garmin phone out of business before it gets released

And change to a 2-3 megapixel camera please. There is a major difference in quality from 1.3.
post #139 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And change to a 2-3 megapixel camera please. There is a major difference in quality from 1.3.

Then you're in luck, it already has a 2.0MP camera.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #140 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Then you're in luck, it already has a 2.0MP camera.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Thank you for the info. It's the MacBookPro's iSight I was thinking- oops!
post #141 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Isn't that what I said?

No that is not what you said.

This is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I believe that all the carriers share their 3g with each other.
post #142 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

No that is not what you said. This is what you said:

"I believe that all the carriers share their 3g with each other."

That is what I said in post #122. However, I meant to have said that they share towers which I stated in my subsequent response to you in #126.

I never said sharing their network. I know they don't. I do know that they all lease from the same companies that build the towers. How many towers support more than one cell network, if they do, I don't know.
post #143 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The tests do show a very comparable display between the 2.75G iPhone and a 3G non-iPhone, but I would think a 3G iPhone would easily best other 3G smartphones. If it's great enough, Apple may use such a comparison in the keynote.


Yep (well, in cases where the non-iPhone phone has a pretty slow browser and cpu, anyway).
Not to mention that 3G is getting faster all the time. HSDPA is faster than UMTS, for example, and HSPA+ (or 'HSPA Evolved', or whatever they're going to call it) will be faster still than HSDPA.

On the EVDO side of things, Rev A was faster than Rev 0, and Rev B will be faster still.

EDGE (and GPRS) are looking slower and slower all the time. It's kind of like dialup vs broadband in that respect... dialup is never going to improve that much, but broadband will continue to do so.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #144 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I believe that all the carriers share their 3g with each other. Exact coverage by each carrier is a little convoluted, but I suspect that it is a reflection of where they have services already available.

Perhaps a look at ATT and compare the others by specfic regions would help determine who is best and where. http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/


In the US, no, all carriers do not share their 3G with each other.

For one thing, there are technological issues. Verizon and Sprint use a 3G technology called EVDO, while ATT (and T-Mobile, which is just now beginning to get its 3G network up) uses UMTS/HSDPA. The two technologies are not compatible with one another.

Also, there can be issues with the roaming agreements, in that not every carrier automatically has a roaming agreement with all other carriers in all regions, even where technologies are compatible. It's more of a case-by-case and 'how-good-a-deal-can-be-struck' sort of thing.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #145 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Hopefully this means a 32GB/3G for the next iPhone refresh.


It'd be nice, wouldn't it?

But I wouldn't expect jack sheeite 'til June, at earliest. Even with Jobs pistol-whipping his engineering teams.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #146 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

But I wouldn't expect jack sheeite 'til June, at earliest. Even with Jobs pistol-whipping his engineering teams..

I agree. We should also know about it because Apple will want to present it before the FCC does. Not 6 months ahead of time, but 6-8 weeks ahead for sure. I think it took 3 months last time.

I'm also wagering that a 3G iPhone could sell 10M in 6 months.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #147 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No GPS for me. I have a stand alone unit for that. The Google Maps locator is good enough for a phone. I don't need an costly chips that will add bulk to the iPhone and drain the battery in 30 minutes when it's on.

So don't turn it on, besides they aren't as costly as you would think. Obviously I wouldn't want one either if it added bulk, but that may be just another one of the reasons why they didn't add it "yet".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #148 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree. We should also know about it because Apple will want to present it before the FCC does. Not 6 months ahead of time, but 6-8 weeks ahead for sure. I think it took 3 months last time.

It was six weeks last time... FCC approval for the iPhone was May 17, actual release, June 30.


Quote:
I'm also wagering that a 3G iPhone could sell 10M in 6 months.

That seems pretty optimistic, especially considering that the iPhone's strongest market, the US, is entering a recession. \

3G will definitely help quite a bit, especially in Europe, but I wouldn't expect 'magic bullet' -type numbers. Still, timely release of a 3G iPhone may well be the 'make or break' that determines whether or not Apple meets its '10 million iPhones sold in 12 months' goal.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #149 of 226
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Apple's usual business model was that 6 months after releasing a product they would offer more for less. Not more for more. There was never a subsidize and then drop.

Who made this rule? Do you only come here to make up complaints?

Quote:
But I wouldn't expect jack sheeite 'til June, at earliest. Even with Jobs pistol-whipping his engineering teams..

Possibly, we aren't entirely sure of the iPhone refresh rate, but I suspect Apple will be pretty aggressive with updates. I'm not expecting it anytime soon. Just long as it comes this year.
post #150 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Who made this rule? Do you only come here to make up complaints?

No, that's MY job, allegedly. Get it straight, Teno.


Quote:
Possibly, we aren't entirely sure of the iPhone refresh rate, but I suspect Apple will be pretty aggressive with updates. I'm not expecting it anytime soon. Just long as it comes this year.

I like my track record with predictions so far, T.

But I'd love it if Stevie would prove me wrong and bust one out by April or May. We can pretty much kiss February and March off already (for the US at least), considering that there's been no FCC approval yet for a 3G model.


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #151 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Possibly, we aren't entirely sure of the iPhone refresh rate, but I suspect Apple will be pretty aggressive with updates.

Now that's funny.

The iPhone is essentially unchanged since it's introduction 8(?) months ago. When are you expecting Apple to be pretty aggressive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm not expecting it anytime soon. Just long as it comes this year.

Ah, that kind of aggressive - about once in 18 months.

Come on, the phone hardware was long in the tooth when it came out and the software updates so far have been pretty meh. It just won't be such a hot seller when it's 18 months old. They'll have to be a lot more aggressive either in pricing or updates.
post #152 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

In the US, no, all carriers do not share their 3G with each other.

For one thing, there are technological issues. Verizon and Sprint use a 3G technology called EVDO, while ATT (and T-Mobile, which is just now beginning to get its 3G network up) uses UMTS/HSDPA. The two technologies are not compatible with one another.

Also, there can be issues with the roaming agreements, in that not every carrier automatically has a roaming agreement with all other carriers in all regions, even where technologies are compatible. It's more of a case-by-case and 'how-good-a-deal-can-be-struck' sort of thing.

.

Your comment it related to an old post that I hope was clarified in subsequent one, esp 142.

However, perhaps somebody can clarify the following.
  • Most cell towers in the US are built/owned by 4 independant companies, e.g., American Tower, Crowne, etc., and each lease them to all the cell phone companies
  • Most cell phone companies don't build/own cell towers, each lease them from all the cell tower companies
  • The cell companies' create their networks in part by leasing towers (which also maintain them)
  • Most of the major cell phone companies service the same major markets (cities)

Questions:
  • Can the same tower be used (shared) by more than one network?
  • Since the size of the network is dependent on the number of towers used, why don't cell phone companies, particularly the largest one, use those figures to support 'superior' coverage?
  • Or are all cell phone companies hooked to the same towers or the same number of towers?
post #153 of 226
Quote:
The iPhone is essentially unchanged since it's introduction 8(?) months ago. When are you expecting Apple to be pretty aggressive?

There have been three software updates with major functionality changes, the fourth coming in a couple of weeks. Now the storage has been upped to 16GB, currently no other phone offers that amount of internal storage. You call that unchanged?

The phone as it is has sold 4 million units in four countries limited to four carriers. In 8 months the iPhone has captured .9% of the worlds browser usage. Small number but more than any other phone, and just shy of some desktop broswers. In that time has captured 28% of the US phone market second only to RIM. With only one model has captured 3rd place in world smartphone marketshare behind RIM and Nokia, Both sell multiple models of smartphones. The iPhone by itself has more than likely sold as much or outsold any one of RIM or Nokia's single smartphones in the same quarter.

Quote:
Come on, the phone hardware was long in the tooth when it came out and the software updates so far have been pretty meh. It just won't be such a hot seller when it's 18 months old. They'll have to be a lot more aggressive either in pricing or updates.

You keep talking about iPhone hardware and have never provided any evidence. The iPhone dissections revealed what was inside. The Samsung ARM chip was brand new. No phone provided 8GB of internal storage and still few do today. At the time no other phone used a 3.5" 160ppi screen, very few still do today. As Apple owns the multi-touch technology no one else has that, multi-touch is hardware as well as sotware. The only part you can really call "old technology" may be EDGE. The standard may be aging but Apple used a new radio chip.

Seeing as most phones don't provide much of this functionality or provide it as well. Which part of this exactly is old technology?
post #154 of 226
Quote:
No, that's MY job, allegedly. Get it straight, Teno

No you didn't say that, it was from Teckstud.

Quote:
I like my track record with predictions so far, T.

Doesn't too much matter to me. I have an iPhone and enjoy it.
post #155 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

N

Come on, the phone hardware was long in the tooth when it came out and the software updates so far have been pretty meh. It just won't be such a hot seller when it's 18 months old. They'll have to be a lot more aggressive either in pricing or updates.

Actually, Aegis, just because the phone doesn't have some dubious features you demand doesn't make the hardware "long in the tooth".

Features don't denote advances, they just mean that there are added features.

Phone technology has usually been slow to change. It's actually the iPhone that's causing other manufacturers to rush new features out.

I don't consider bloated feature sets that are clumsy to use to be advanced, just bloated.

It's the oft criticized MS Office syndrome, 80% of the features are only used by 10% of the users. The rest neither need nor want them, but are forced to have them for other reasons.

Ipods have been criticized for not having FM, but almost no one cares, or would use it anyway, so the iPhone is said to lack features. Who cares except a very small minority?
post #156 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Now that's funny.

The iPhone is essentially unchanged since it's introduction 8(?) months ago. When are you expecting Apple to be pretty aggressive?

Considering that they keep on confidently predicting those 10 million sales, I'd say it's a good bet that the iPhone will see some aggressive revisions soon. You're saying that since they haven't aggressively updated the iphone yet, they never will? That's highly illogical.
post #157 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There have been three software updates with major functionality changes, the fourth coming in a couple of weeks. Now the storage has been upped to 16GB, currently no other phone offers that amount of internal storage. You call that unchanged?

No, they've had 3 bug fix releases to add features which should have been there in the first place. Bumping the storage space is a minor change also. YouTube videos and iTunes in Starbucks - meh!

I'm hoping the SDK update in Feb brings some better software like a ToDo list for one, preferably tied to Leopard's event/todo storage so it works with CulturedCode's 'Things' too. How can they miss out one of the few things that actually would be handy to carry around with you?

Oh, and I want ssh too, but I realise that's of limited general interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The phone as it is has sold 4 million units in four countries limited to four carriers. In 8 months the iPhone has captured .9% of the worlds browser usage. Small number but more than any other phone, and just shy of some desktop broswers. In that time has captured 28% of the US phone market second only to RIM. With only one model has captured 3rd place in world smartphone marketshare behind RIM and Nokia, Both sell multiple models of smartphones. The iPhone by itself has more than likely sold as much or outsold any one of RIM or Nokia's single smartphones in the same quarter.

For each of your selectively chosen stats there's plenty of counter stats. It's good to see the USA finally is picking up with smartphone sales but as ever it's low hanging fruit if you pardon the pun - no competition and in walks Apple. Have you seen the latest Orange France stats yet? They only sold 20,000 in January. 20,000 in one of Europe's biggest countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You keep talking about iPhone hardware and have never provided any evidence. The iPhone dissections revealed what was inside. The Samsung ARM chip was brand new. No phone provided 8GB of internal storage and still few do today. At the time no other phone used a 3.5" 160ppi screen, very few still do today. As Apple owns the multi-touch technology no one else has that, multi-touch is hardware as well as sotware. The only part you can really call "old technology" may be EDGE. The standard may be aging but Apple used a new radio chip.

Which is explicitly why I said the PHONE hardware was ancient. The rest of the hardware is pretty cool, hobbled by shit phone hardware. It's like releasing a MacBook Pro with an ATi Rage 128 chipset.


Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Actually, Aegis, just because the phone doesn't have some dubious features you demand doesn't make the hardware "long in the tooth".

I was explicitly bitching about the 2G phone chip but add the shitty camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Phone technology has usually been slow to change. It's actually the iPhone that's causing other manufacturers to rush new features out.

I don't consider bloated feature sets that are clumsy to use to be advanced, just bloated.

It's the oft criticized MS Office syndrome, 80% of the features are only used by 10% of the users. The rest neither need nor want them, but are forced to have them for other reasons.

I agree but in this case the iPhone has those features - ie. a radio chip and a camera - they're just poor implementations for such an expensive phone.

IMHO you're better off now buying an iPod Touch since they added all the useful stuff out of the iPhone and the phone part of the iPhone is better provided by a £50 no contract camera phone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Considering that they keep on confidently predicting those 10 million sales, I'd say it's a good bet that the iPhone will see some aggressive revisions soon. You're saying that since they haven't aggressively updated the iphone yet, they never will? That's highly illogical.

No, I was asking Teno when he expects them to aggressively update the iPhone and he was suggesting 'sometime before the end of the year'. I agree with you - it'll have to be soon.
post #158 of 226
Quote:
No, they've had 3 bug fix releases to add features which should have been there in the first place.

Come on Aegis you are going way out of way reaching for criticism. Bug fixes are when something doesn't work correctly. So far the major functions on the iPhone have worked fine.

Much of the new functionality wasn't even available when the iPhone was first introduced.

Quote:
How can they miss out one of the few things that actually would be handy to carry around with you?

Yeah ToDo's is absolutely required of any phone...

Quote:
For each of your selectively chosen stats there's plenty of counter stats. It's good to see the USA finally is picking up with smartphone sales but as ever it's low hanging fruit if you pardon the pun - no competition and in walks Apple.

I wouldn't call the entrenched Windows Mobile and Palm "no competition."

Penetration of smartphones in Europe may have happened faster than in the US. But actual use of them beyond phone calls and texting has been no faster.

Quote:
Which is explicitly why I said the PHONE hardware was ancient. The rest of the hardware is pretty cool, hobbled by shit phone hardware.

You are talking in specs and theory. But in actual practice the iPhone in 8 months has captured .13% of the worlds browser share, more than any other phone. What good is the 3G in many other phones if it is rarely used?

Quote:
No, I was asking Teno when he expects them to aggressively update the iPhone and he was suggesting 'sometime before the end of the year'. I agree with you - it'll have to be soon.

I don't know when they will update the phone. I'm just saying they will do it.

Quote:
I was explicitly bitching about the 2G phone chip but add the shitty camera

Instead of buying the phone that meets your needs and enjoying life, you seem comfortable just to bitch about everything in regards to the iPhone in general.
post #159 of 226
Quote:
Have you seen the latest Orange France stats yet? They only sold 20,000 in January. 20,000 in one of Europe's biggest countries.

Well what other phone would sell 20,000 units on one carrier at 339 Euros with a 49 Euro tariff? Bringing new customers to its carrier.
post #160 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well what other phone would sell 20,000 units on one carrier at 339 Euros with a 49 Euro tariff? Bringing new customers to its carrier.


It's pretty disappointing no matter how you slice it, Teno. I'd stop arguing that particular point... frankly, that ship has sailed. \

Better pricing, 3G, MMS, better camera... it's all about solutions now, not trying to spin what are clearly disappointing Euro results.

I do still firmly believe that Apple CAN do well in Europe, with the right product and reasonable pricing. I just hope that the wait for said right product isn't too long.


...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces 16GB iPhone, 32GB iPod touch models