or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › It's official: Rogers to bring iPhone to Canada later this year

It's official: Rogers to bring iPhone to Canada later this year - Page 2

post #41 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Living in Saskatchewan, this isn't all that exciting.

Rogers has virtually no coverage, except in the 3 major centres, and even still in places at the University friends with Rogers get no service.

I guess I'll have to wait until I move

Living in Saskatchewan, is anything exciting??

Rogers has spotty coverage in all of their coverage areas. Bell has the best coverage, Rogers has a better network. Both suck at pricing, service and handset availability. So does Telus.

Fido used to be great. Crappy coverage, but great network, pricing, handsets and customer service. Their pricing really made them superior to everyone else. Rogers bought them and turned them into Rogers-Mini-me and they suck now too. Too bad we don't have real competition in the cell phone market in Canada. Gotta think though, that if the iPhone results in enough of a bleed off of Bell/telus customers, they might start actually feeling the need to stop raping us on the plan pricing.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #42 of 108
It's about bloody time, but I'm not holding my breath yet.

The "unlimited" data rates Rogers introduced earlier this year are limited in every possible way, from which handsets you can use, a select list of WML-only websites you're allowed to visit, and how much data you can transfer. In other words, it's a bald-faced lie, and if anything it made it seem even more hopeless that we'd ever get the iPhone up here. To me, it showed that Canada's wireless companies are going to insist on greed over innovation, and are never going to back down.

If we get a $20/month, truly unlimited data plan and the new 3G iPhone, I will be both shocked and thrilled. But I have learned over many years to always expect to be disappointed with the third-world wireless service* in this country, so I'm not going to get excited until I see the full announcement and all of the fine print.

* Sadly, even calling Canada's wireless service "third-world" is more than it deserves, given that the wireless service in actual third-world countries is drastically better and more reasonably priced.
post #43 of 108
How easy is it for a company like Telus to switch from CDMA to GSM? Don't they have to install all new hardware everywhere in their coverage area to carry the signal? It's not like it's a software upgrade is it?
post #44 of 108
yea its ridiculous, after admin fees and taxes and everything i pay 43 dollars a month for the lowest airtime plan with unlimited messaging (thats no data transfer at all)

it must be expensive to build cell towers admist all the snow and igloos ...
post #45 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Fido used to be great. Crappy coverage, but great network, pricing, handsets and customer service.

If that was ever true, it certainly is not now. Fido is one of the worst companies I have ever had to deal with in my entire life. They are extremely rude, unprofessional, and incompetent, and it's a major pain in the ass everytime I have to talk to them about anything. I never thought I could hate a company more than I hate Telus, but Fido has proven it's possible to suck even more, which is frankly just astonishing.
post #46 of 108
I am SHOCKED that the iPhone launch is actually happening. Most commentators have missed one of the key points in the reasoning behind the delay.

EGO.

Here in Toronto (and Ontario for that matter), Rogers has a virtual monopoly on much of the telecommunications sector. The residential internet service is the fastest available and highly subscribed (I am a subscriber). They are the major player for non-satellite based TV (also a subscriber). And their cell phone network is the largest as well (not a subscriber).

Rogers is huge, flush with cash and keeps its competition at bay. What Rogers resented is being told that they could not brand the iPhone. All of Rogers' wireless handsets have the Rogers logo on the front and on the start-up screen. I am certain that when Apple told them they would not be able to do this with the iPhone, Rogers told them (politely) to p**s off. Rogers is interested in promoting THEIR brand - not Apple's.

The rate plan is also a mystery. Because there is no competition for cell phone service, there is no motivation to reduce the monthly charges (Canada has only three wireless carriers - Rogers the only to carry GSM). While Rogers may be lowering the cost, we'll never see U.S. prices. Ever.

I think the tipping point was likely a document that came across the desk of the company's owner (Ted Rogers) that detailed how much money he was loosing due to the number of unlocked iPhones in service (yes, they CAN tell what model of phone is using their network - don't be naive enough to think they can't). The numbers were crunched and volia: today's announcement.

One last thing. An auction was announced by the government for additional wireless spectrum in Canada. This is UNLIKELY to yield any new players in the wireless field.

Why? Any new entrant would have to build their own cell-phone towers, HUGE $$$$$. And all the good real estate to build on has been taken by the existing companies.
post #47 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Living in Saskatchewan, this isn't all that exciting.

Rogers has virtually no coverage, except in the 3 major centres, and even still in places at the University friends with Rogers get no service.

I guess I'll have to wait until I move

Here are all the cell towers in Canada. May help you in deciding where to relocate.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
post #48 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Simply check out the JD Powers wireless surveys, or the ones that Consumer Reports does every year. ATT never seems to do well. If it wasn't for Sprint's current huge issues, they'd likely come in dead last instead of the their customary 'almost last'. \

I do remember some ATT fans getting excited when ATT came in as "average" in a JD Power customer service survey not long ago, though. And in some parts of the country, like the Northeast, their network rates pretty well sometimes. Unfortunately, that's not where I live..

Since nobody can't show me otherwise, I guess I'll just rely on the evidence I find myself.

http://cell-phone-providers-review.toptenreviews.com/
post #49 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We're thrilled to announce that we have a deal with Apple to bring the iPhone to Canada later this year," the carrier said in a statement.

A good start, but as others have said, it still remains to be seen if Rogers will have some reasonable data rates to go with the iPhone.
post #50 of 108
I have it on good authority that Rogers iPhone plan will look something like this.
16g iPhone - $67,000 - includes 1 month unlimited data plan.
32g iPhone - $122,000 - includes 1 month unlimited data plan.

100 daytime minutes, evenings and weekends, 5 megs of download - $8,500/ month
500 daytime minutes, evenings and weekends, 50 megs of download - $34,000/ month

Oh, and Rogers has a contract with Apple to disable the Wifi, disabled the email function, disabled the video capability, disabled Safari, and disabled the iPod functions.

And most importantly, this comes straight from Rogers head office...
"While we are excited to bring the iPhone to Canada, we feel it's in the best interest of our clients if iPhone's are not capable of connecting to computers. So we have decided to solder all connectivity ports shut. We feel this is what our clients demand and expect from Rogers."

Anyone from Western Canada will know i'm not far off here at all. When the Razor came out, Rogers nerfed all the features on it, and took away all connectivity possibilities. Their current data plan costs about $2.50 a meg. That on top of $60 - $70/month for 100 minutes.
I was hoping that the iPhone would come to Canada and not Rogers. Now we get to see the iPhone in all it's glorious nerfed and crippled glory.
post #51 of 108
From a Canadian perspective:

The iPhone comes with a cost for Rogers: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview

Why talk ain't cheap, especially in Canada:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ory/Technology

The fact we have some of the lowest rates in the world speaks to the incredible competitive nature of our industry here."

Rogers bringing iPhone to Canada:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ory/Technology
post #52 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by imercury View Post

Here in Toronto (and Ontario for that matter), Rogers has a virtual monopoly on much of the telecommunications sector. The residential internet service is the fastest available…

Actually, Aurora Cable Internet is, "…one of the fastest residential Internet Services in the world. At 9 Megabits download speed, Aurora Cable Internet is most often rated the fastest on the international Broadband website…"

Now where was that tower location map I posted?
post #53 of 108
i frankly would crack a smile if the entire rogers family died a brutal death. they have been ripping people off for years. i EXTREMELY hope Apple makes them change their ways.
post #54 of 108
Good news! I must admit I never thought I'd see the day. Hopefully we'll see the iPhone some time during the summer.

Please let the data rates be reasonable!!!
post #55 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Huh? Besides, I don't even have an iphone, nor do I use AT&T.

You just showed your age and that your injection into this debate is purely hypothetical and of very little value.
post #56 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Since nobody can't show me otherwise, I guess I'll just rely on the evidence I find myself.

http://cell-phone-providers-review.toptenreviews.com/

Yeah. No one's ever heard of those guys.

Honestly, if its too hard for you to go to JD Power's website, or pick up an issue of Consumer Reports, you must not want to know very much. I'm not linking to the info simply because I'm on cellphone forums a lot and have given out the links umpteen times.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #57 of 108
Quote:

Didn't get the iPhone yet. No 3G, and yeah, ATT just flat sucks in Northern California, where I am.

I hope not as I'll be relocating to that general area for an undetermined amount of time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #58 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope not as I'll be relocating to that general area for an undetermined amount of time.

SF Bay Area, I assume? It's a nice place to live, 'cept for the horrific traffic.

Don't know what to tell ya about ATT there... it's just not good. Not too many dropped calls, though you will definitely get them, but lots of garbled ones. Awful if you do any business over your cell.

Honestly, Verizon's by far the best there. T-Mobile's decent. MetroPCS isn't very good. Sprint used to be okay, not sure what they are now there, but I doubt they've improved much.

post #59 of 108
Quote:

SF Bay Area, I assume? It's a nice place to live, 'cept for the horrific traffic.

Don't know what to tell ya about ATT there... it's just not good. Not too many dropped calls, though you will definitely get them, but lots of garbled ones. Awful if you do any business over your cell.

Honestly, Verizon's by far the best there. T-Mobile's decent. MetroPCS isn't very good. Sprint used to be okay, not sure what they are now there, but I doubt they've improved much.

The whole west coast, San Diego to Vancouver, but I've got family around SF so I'll probably make that near my base of operations while I'm out there.
post #60 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You just showed your age and that your injection into this debate is purely hypothetical and of very little value.

Maybe I don't have an iPhone in part because if its tie-in?

Personally, I get the impression that you're not really interested in the discussion other than to try to snipe me. Did I offend you in some other thread?
post #61 of 108
I have an unlocked iPhone and I'm with Rogers.

I'm not sure if the suits in marketing at Rogers, or the analysts who stare at their spreadsheets looking at pricing strategies but don't EVER talk to a customer realize the following:

Many of the early adapters for the iPhone in Canada who might pay a premium for a hot phone have already done so. After 10 months I got tired of waiting and purchased it unlocked.

So, they now have to price it for the masses. I don't think Rogers or any company wants to offer a phone that very few people will buy or plans that will deter people from signing on. The iPhone at its price point and features is not a must have for most people. So, if Rogers wants to sell a ton of them and also have a ton of those customers using bandwidth, then they have to price it sensibly. Also, at this point, the iPhone is still mostly a consumer device, so most people will be paying the bill themselves and not their employer. They will be less likely to sign up for high rates if they are footing the costs.

This is assuming that the suits at Rogers use logic. However, I fear that what will really happen is that they will listen to those analysts who just look at spreadsheets.

Quote:

Maybe I don't have an iPhone in part because if its tie-in?

Personally, I get the impression that you're not really interested in the discussion other than to try to snipe me. Did I offend you in some other thread?
post #62 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

If we get a $20/month, truly unlimited data plan and the new 3G iPhone, I will be both shocked and thrilled.

If we here in Canada got $20 there'd be a mass migration north of every iPhone owner south of the border. AT&T plans for consumers start at $59 and go to $79, $99 and $119.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

That's about what I expect Rogers will charge too, or maybe with an extra $20 "eh" tax on top so Ted can keep sipping the drink he favours.

$20? You're way dreaming my child.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #63 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

If we here in Canada got $20 there'd be a mass migration north of every iPhone owner south of the border. AT&T plans for consumers start at $59 and go to $79, $99 and $119.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

That's about what I expect Rogers will charge too, or maybe with an extra $20 "eh" tax on top so Ted can keep sipping the drink he favours.

$20? You're way dreaming my child.

AT&T currently charges $20/month for the unlimited data plan. The basic phone service, is what cost the additional $40.

200 SMS messages are also included, which has pushed me to use email and Meebo via Safari on the iPhone. That has to be a lot more data being sent over the carriers so I don't understand the reluctance to offer unlimited SMS for the same price.
post #64 of 108
I won't complain about the rates too much, as long as it's a flat rate plan (which would be new for Rogers).

I currently pay $74/month for:

- 450 anytime / Unlimited Nights/Weekends (Starting at 6PM)
- 75 txt msgs
- Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting
- Voicemail
- No Data.

Thats thanks to lovely Bell Canada. If I have to pay between $75 - $95 for my iPhone, I will. As long as I can just use it like normal and not have to worry about it.

- D
post #65 of 108
It's official? Just cos Mr Rogers says so? really?
unless i hear it from apple, i wouldn't call it official... the day the iPhone was announced these people fell all over themselves with their 'we're gonna get it! we're gonna get it' spiel. that was over a year ago.
post #66 of 108
Quote:
Can you cite your sources on tied sales with some more detail? I had no idea there'd been a change in legislation or a change in respect for existing legislation on part of the carriers. As far as I was aware, every carrier-sold handset in Canada with the exception of the GSM component of Telus' Blackberry CDMA/GSM worldphone is locked to its respective carrier. Even Rogers and Fido GSM handsets are not interchangeable out of the box - and they're the same company. I have paid exorbitant rates on top of Canadian carriers' ridiculous $6.95 "system access fee" for over a year on a month-to-month plan on a phone I bought out right and Rogers will not unlock it for me. My account has been in good standing, but Rogers refuses to unlock my quad-band phone that I was hoping to use for travel. As far as I understand in the US, AT&T and T-Mobile will unlock certain models after several months of holding an account in good standing.

It is illegal to tie the sale of a product to a service, forcing a consumer to subscribe to a service if he wants to buy the product. Once you buy a product such as a cell phone, you are free to use it with any cell phone service. But you can agree by contract to the terms of service of a cell phone service provider. Your cell phone service contract is not tied to any specific phone and its duration and conditions are determined not by the phone you use, but the terms you agreed to.

The same debate was held in Canada 30 years ago about landline phones. Once you bought a phone that met FCC requirements, you could plug it into any phone service. You were no longer limited to buying or leasing phones from Bell Canada to plug them to Bell Canada land lines.

This is the distinction between the phone you BUY and OWN, versus a phone that you lease or buy for a subsidized price.

What happens with most cell phone contracts is that you buy a phone for a reduced price in return for a 2 year cell phone service contract. At the end of your contract, you can use your phone with any cell phone service you please.

Apple doesn't want to lease iPhones nor does it want to subsidize the price of iPhones. Customers own their iPhones and can buy them at full price from Apple, for instance. Once you own an iPhone, you are free to use it with any cell phone service. Jailbreaking the iPhone you own really means that you choose not to sign a service contract with ATT as hoped for by Apple and ATT. But they don't control your life, do they? And they certainly don't own your iPhone.

post #67 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Apple doesn't want to lease iPhones nor does it want to subsidize the price of iPhones. Customers own their iPhones and can buy them at full price from Apple, for instance. Once you own an iPhone, you are free to use it with any cell phone service (jailbreaking the iPhone you own).

iPhones are subsidized, just in a manner that's different than usual. You can jailbreak it, but they disclaim all warranties and support if you do so.
post #68 of 108
Congratulations to Canada!
I'll bet you are waiting for iTunes movie downloads as well.

In a way, I'm a little bit sad with the announcement. Australia apparently is getting the iPhone after Macworld and official Apple Stores.... while we here in New Zealand are left behind the rest of the world again! Maybe we'll be after Namibia or something.

It's enough to make me want to stop chasing pretty sheep.

OK maybe not that much.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #69 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Their current data plan costs about $2.50 a meg. That on top of $60 - $70/month for 100 minutes.

I'm with Rogers, and I pay $67/month for almost the same plan as Daphoid below: evenings at 6pm, 350 daytime, 100 txt, no data, caller ID, voicemail, etc... I don't see any appreciable difference between what I receive for my money and what Daphoid receives with Bell. Maybe Telus is better? (I doubt it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoid View Post

I currently pay $74/month for:

- 450 anytime / Unlimited Nights/Weekends (Starting at 6PM)
- 75 txt msgs
- Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting
- Voicemail
- No Data.

Thats thanks to lovely Bell Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

I was hoping that the iPhone would come to Canada and not Rogers. Now we get to see the iPhone in all it's glorious nerfed and crippled glory.

If not Rogers, then for which other national GSM network were you hoping for the iPhone?
post #70 of 108
Quote:

iPhones are subsidized, just in a manner that's different than usual. You can jailbreak it, but they disclaim all warranties and support if you do so.

Subsidized by whom? How do you define "subsidize?"
post #71 of 108
Quote:

Subsidized by whom? How do you define "subsidize?"

Apple. I say that because you're not really buying the device when you buy it because it's useless without the subscription from the approved carrier, or you use an unsupported crack. And then Apple gets more money for the device from that approved carrier.
post #72 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

It is illegal to tie the sale of a product to a service, forcing a consumer to subscribe to a service if he wants to buy the product. Once you buy a product such as a cell phone, you are free to use it with any cell phone service. But you can agree by contract to the terms of service of a cell phone service provider. Your cell phone service contract is not tied to any specific phone and its duration and conditions are determined not by the phone you use, but the terms you agreed to.

The same debate was held in Canada 30 years ago about landline phones. Once you bought a phone that met FCC requirements, you could plug it into any phone service. You were no longer limited to buying or leasing phones from Bell Canada to plug them to Bell Canada land lines.

This is the distinction between the phone you BUY and OWN, versus a phone that you lease or buy for a subsidized price.

What happens with most cell phone contracts is that you buy a phone for a reduced price in return for a 2 year cell phone service contract. At the end of your contract, you can use your phone with any cell phone service you please.

Apple doesn't want to lease iPhones nor does it want to subsidize the price of iPhones. Customers own their iPhones and can buy them at full price from Apple, for instance. Once you own an iPhone, you are free to use it with any cell phone service. Jailbreaking the iPhone you own really means that you choose not to sign a service contract with ATT as hoped for by Apple and ATT. But they don't control your life, do they? And they certainly don't own your iPhone.

Ouragn! Right on! Great explanation.

Just one slight correction. Change FCC to CRTC, or indicate the different between the US and Canada governing bodies.
post #73 of 108
Quote:

Apple. I say that because you're not really buying the device when you buy it because it's useless without the subscription from the approved carrier, or you use an unsupported crack. And then Apple gets more money for the device from that approved carrier.

Sorry, JeffDM, but your explanation does not fit the definition of subsidize.

So far, you can purchase an iPhone from Apple or ATT for exactly the same price. It is your phone. You own it. You can take it home, throw it in the trash, sell it, etc., and nobody can stop you.

You can even unlock the iPhone as Apple describes, http://www.apple.com/iphone/questionsandanswers.html, and use it on another carrier. However, not all the services may not be covered or suitable, and may even be more expensive.

If ATT were to offer a plan that discounted the list price (or even provided it for free) of the iPhone directly purchased from Apple (or a reseller) for a 2-year service/carrier contract, then it would be ATT that subsidized the cost of the iPhone.

The fact that Apple negotiated a deal with ATT to give them exclusivity for a given period, and in return received a portion of the monthly service charges is just a business-to-business opportunity that suited both ATT and Apple at the same time. Apple got assurance that ATT would improve their network and reduce the price of their data plans. In return, ATT got the first crack of a new technology, a simplified activation process and full product support. As shown, it was a great deal for both parties and for consumers alike. And nobody subsidized anybody.
post #74 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I'm with Rogers, and I pay $67/month for almost the same plan as Daphoid below: evenings at 6pm, 350 daytime, 100 txt, no data, caller ID, voicemail, etc... I don't see any appreciable difference between what I receive for my money and what Daphoid receives with Bell. Maybe Telus is better? (I doubt it)

Better for what? I'm on Telus, and my current plan is $20/mo. (That's Super Talk 10, plus Spark 10)

I get:

250 anytime mins, unlimited evenings and weekends.
100 outgoing text messages, unlimited incoming.
Caller ID, Voice mail, call waiting, conference calling
Unlimited web browsing to Telus' top 100 sites. This covers any news, weather, sports, TV schedule, movie listings and the like that i would ever use from my phone. I've yet to think of something that I want to use my phone to access that was not available from the included sites. If I do want to go to a non top 100 site, it's 5¢ a page.

That, and I got the LG 8600 for nothing.

Quote:
If not Rogers, then for which other national GSM network were you hoping for the iPhone?

I was hoping Apple would come to their senses and offer a CDMA version. GSM is only available in very limited areas in Canada, CDMA covers the whole country. If you do any traveling within Canada, a GSM phone is pretty much useless. Could you imagine how stupid is would seem if Apple decided that all Macs only worked with Cable modems for internet access? Some might argue that cable is better than DSL, but that doesn't change the fact lots of places don't have access to it.
post #75 of 108
Quote:

You can even unlock the iPhone as Apple describes, http://www.apple.com/iphone/questionsandanswers.html, and use it on another carrier. However, not all the services may not be covered or suitable, and may even be more expensive.

Did you even read the paragraph on unlocking in that link? They don't give a short answer, but the short answer is "no, you can't unlock the phone".

"Can I unlock iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?

AT&T is the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United States. If you currently use another wireless carrier, you can choose to transfer your number when you activate your AT&T account."

In the countries where iPhone is sold "white market" as unlocked, it's priced significantly higher as well.
post #76 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Could you imagine how stupid is would seem if Apple decided that all Macs only worked with Cable modems for internet access? Some might argue that cable is better than DSL, but that doesn't change the fact lots of places don't have access to it.

That is, I am afraid, a silly comparison. Whether it's cable or DSL, what Apple designs is one ethernet port that works with both. (Granted, they used to have the dial-up port as well, but that's now gone).

GSM versus CDMA are fundamentally different standards.

That said, it does seem like there are now these dual phones starting to appear in the market: see, e.g., http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...vity-long-wal/

But it still seems to be a long way off.....
post #77 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I was hoping Apple would come to their senses and offer a CDMA version. GSM is only available in very limited areas in Canada, CDMA covers the whole country. If you do any traveling within Canada, a GSM phone is pretty much useless. Could you imagine how stupid is would seem if Apple decided that all Macs only worked with Cable modems for internet access? Some might argue that cable is better than DSL, but that doesn't change the fact lots of places don't have access to it.

What the hell are you talking about? GSM has tons of coverage. Do you live in Hudson's Bay?
post #78 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is, I am afraid, a silly comparison. Whether it's cable or DSL, what Apple designs is one ethernet port that works with both. (Granted, they used to have the dial-up port as well, but that's now gone).

GSM versus CDMA are fundamentally different standards.

That said, it does seem like there are now these dual phones starting to appear in the market: see, e.g., http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...vity-long-wal/

But it still seems to be a long way off.....

I've heard of dual-standard phones over a year ago, I think made available for the UK of all places. It was discussed on Mac OS Ken covering the speculation running up to the iPhone announcement. I don't remember the brand or model number though. I don't know whether it makes sense to support both, but the iPhone already supports four(!) different wireless standards.
post #79 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

What the hell are you talking about? GSM has tons of coverage. Do you live in Hudson's Bay?

Rogers has decent coverage in south central Ontario, but that's pretty much it. In most of the country, if you are not right in the metro area of a major centre, you get no signal whatsoever with Rogers. A five minute drive outside of Winnipeg, and you've got nothing. Driving through Saskatchewan, nothing. Large parts of Alberta, nothing.Virtually all of BC, nothing.

I found this out the hard way in October. Our CDMA phones had 4 bars, the GSM phones had no signal, almost everywhere between Winnipeg and Smithers, BC.
post #80 of 108
I've been using an unlocked iPhone on the Rogers network and enjoy it immensely. I've found the reception and voice quality is much better than when I've used other all-in-one smartphones such as the Blackberry line. Example I live in a condo and found I could still make a call and send/receive email three levels down in the garage. That's impressive. It will be nice to finally have the device officially supported by Apple on the Rogers network so I can purchase one that won't require unlocking which would void Apple's warranty. Also I'm hoping when it does come to Canada we get the updated iPhone which is reported to have HSPA, possibly video calling and support for Microsoft Exchange push email as well the Apple App Store. Based on the iPhone history I'm sure Rogers will fall in line like other carriers around the world that offer three different all in one voice & data plans specifically for the iPhone and won't allow other data plans. This would be similar to RIM's Blackberry line which require specific Blackberry plans and don't work with regular data plans such as Rogers $7.00 unlimited mobile WAP browser plan or $7.00 Vision plan. I also wonder if the pricing on the iPhone will be any different since other countries such as the USA aren't subsidizing the price of the iPhone as the price is set by Apple and the term commitment (contract with ECF) is based on the iPhone Voice & Data plan.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › It's official: Rogers to bring iPhone to Canada later this year