or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone and iPod touch software 2.0 [see warning]

Apple releases iPhone and iPod touch software 2.0 [see warning]

post #1 of 64
Apple this afternoon officially released version 2.0 of iPhone software for both first-generation iPhones and the iPod touch. iPhone users, however, should not attempt to install the update at this time due to ongoing Apple server issues.

iPhone Software 2.0

Earlier this morning, first-generation iPhone owners who connected their phones to iTunes were told that they could finally download and install iPhone Software v2.0. However, an official announcement regarding the software's release was not issued until 1:05 p.m. Eastern time.

Still, the upgrade process has proven to be nothing but a frustrating disaster for a large number of users due to the ongoing iPhone 3G launch, which has in recent hours also turned into a meltdown. The iPhone Software 2.0 updater is completely different than earlier updaters, in that it completely erases all of the data on first-generation iPhones in order to perform the new software install, and therefore temporarily deactivates them as well.

Once the iPhone 2.0 software install finishes, iTunes then tries to connect to Apple's remote iTunes servers and authorized a reactivation of the phones. However, those remote iTunes servers are the same servers being pounded with requests from hundreds of thousands of new iPhone 3Gs that are being activated around the world today. As such, Apple is currently experiencing serious issues with its iTunes servers, which have largely become unreachable.

This has left a significant number of first-generation iPhone users with bricked iPhones that have no service outside of calling emergency help lines because iTunes is unreachable to authorize a reactivation. Apple's iTunes servers as of press time appeared to be completely offline for both new iPhone 3G buyers and first-generation iPhone owners attempting to reactive their phones with iPhone Software v2.0 installed.

Warning

Given this ongoing and unfortunate situation, first-generation iPhone users should not attempt to upgrade their iPhones with iPhone Software v2.0 at this time. AppleInsider will update this article or post a new article when it is believed to be safe to upgrade first-generation iPhones.

Update: It now seems that Apple's iTunes activation servers are slowly coming back on line. Users feeling brave may want to give their upgrades a shot, though waiting till tomorrow (when Apple's had a whole evening to knock out the kinks) would be the safest bet.

iPhone Software 2.0 for iPod touch

Separately, Apple has begun selling iPhone Software 2.0 upgrade for iPod touch for $9.95 via this iTunes Store link.. You can also find the same link to the software on this Apple iPod touch page.

The upgrade will deliver all of features of iPhone Software 2.0 to iPod touch owners, save for the reactivation nightmare. However, since Apple's iTunes upgrade servers are now completely off line, this update is currently inaccessible.
post #2 of 64
What a mess.
post #3 of 64
Fantastic. Now Apple royally screws up. Sounds like they're stealing pages from the at&t playbook.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 64
The lesson learned today is to just wait few days and let the dust settle. Is definately not worth to go through this hell right now.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #5 of 64
Apple wanted to pull off a big global launch in a single day and it looks like they've failed.
post #6 of 64
Glad I updated my iPhone yesterday. Some of the apps are sweet, some suck, just like all platforms.

The iTunes remote app is insanely great for me. I run 4 airport expresses to spew music in various parts of the house. Now I've got control in my pocket always.

Sheldon
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Apple wanted to pull off a big global launch in a single day and it looks like they've failed.

Has nothing to do with a global launch since each country has their own iTunes servers to activate from.

The issue in the US likely has more to do with the 2.0 upgrade. Since they appear to be using the same activation servers as new iPhone 3G users.
post #8 of 64
Just excellent! Thanks for the warning (server problem) for first gen. updates. My whole business is in my iPhone and my daughter's whole life is in hers....I look like a hero to her!

Thanks piles AI!
post #9 of 64
iBrick 2.0
post #10 of 64
My iphone is finally activated! It just takes some patience of plugging it in and out. Just keep to it and you'll eventually get through!
post #11 of 64

you think a company like apple would be prapered for this
Ok i admit it i'm a Fanboy, and my opinions are alway's biast towards my love for apple
Ok i admit it i'm a Fanboy, and my opinions are alway's biast towards my love for apple
post #12 of 64
My iPhone Mk 1 updated with 2.0 software this morning just successfully finished the process and reactivated! YESSSS! I have been trying since noon! So either it is a just luck I got connected or they fixed something.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #13 of 64
this royally sucks for ipod touch users who now cant do the update because apple has to use the same servers for the update and activation. Now we wait
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

this royally sucks for ipod touch users who now cant do the update because apple has to use the same servers for the update and activation. Now we wait

I have to wait 2 more months to get my first iTouch 2.0, 2nd generation, so I don't have to pay the addtl $10
post #15 of 64
I always wait on anything new. Hardware or software-wise.

You have to let other people dive in mistakingly and find out the errors for you.

I even wait on simple updates to apps to see what people say, because lately updates have been screwing things up for people too.
post #16 of 64
Have an original iPhone, been trying to activate for 3 hours, but just now got it. Now would be a good time to try, fellas.
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have to wait 2 more months to get my first iTouch 2.0, 2nd generation, so I don't have to pay the addtl $10

Do newly bought ipod touches have 2.0 on it or 1.1.4
i was going to but my dad a ipod touch but i was waiting for 2.0 to come out
post #18 of 64
Ive been trying since 1100 to get my iphone working again and it looks like its finally online again. About an hour ago my phone finally was acitvated and i could call, but it was not able to be restored and my phone was in its factory state. It also was not recognized by itunes so I couldn't synce anything. Just now I got the restore screen and I am presently restoring my phone. Looks like we're seeing some progress!!

What a mess though!
post #19 of 64
Wow, wouldn't it be fun to be next to Steve Jobs today to hear what was coming out of his mouth....?

I wonder if Apple rented passenger vans to pick up all the fired employees responsible for this fiasco from 1 Infinite Loop...
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Wow, wouldn't it be fun to be next to Steve Jobs today to hear what was coming out of his mouth....?

I wonder if Apple rented passenger vans to pick up all the fired employees responsible for this fiasco from 1 Infinite Loop...

He's liable to implode or spontaneously combust from the reflected radiation bouncing off the RDF.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 64
Well, with their complete failure at rolling out MobileMe and this iPhone mess which is, for all intents and purposes, a repeat of what happened the first go around, it's probably a good thing Apple isn't trying to market itself as a provider of enterprise-class services. Best to stick to consumer products, where it doesn't matter when you occasionally fall on your face.
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

stupid greedy Cupertino iDiots - left my iPhone dead.
post #23 of 64
Good luck syncing for the first time. It apparently tries to connect to the iTunes App Store *again* and just hangs. So even if you successfully activate, (hardware, not via MobileMe) syncing may be a prob for the time being.

I have an Edge iPhone I successfully updated to 2.0 this morning around 9am EST, and I still cannot sync.
post #24 of 64
I upgraded my original iPhone this morning at about 9:30AM EST and everything was smooth including the reactivation. I'm sure things didn't go sour until the west coast started waking up. It's what happens when a server gets too many requests in a short time, not unexpected really. It is a bit lame that they didn't allow activations at home like with the original iPhone. I thought it said a lot about the AT&T/Apple venture to allow that. Plus, it would probably offer a slight amount of relief on the servers what with the variance in the drive home after people purchase and before they get home to activate.
post #25 of 64
*Waiting until someone in the United States begins to yell "class action suit".*
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

Do newly bought ipod touches have 2.0 on it or 1.1.4
i was going to but my dad a ipod touch but i was waiting for 2.0 to come out

If you're going to wait for 2.0 you might as well wait for 2nd generation also, when iPods get updated- usually late Sept, early Oct. I am hoping for a better form factor like the new iPhone as well as a better deal on the flash drive size and lower price in comparison to what's there now.
I really can't say how they would handle updating the current stock as the window for the new model is relatively narrow.
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

Well, with their complete failure at rolling out MobileMe and this iPhone mess which is, for all intents and purposes, a repeat of what happened the first go around, it's probably a good thing Apple isn't trying to market itself as a provider of enterprise-class services. Best to stick to consumer products, where it doesn't matter when you occasionally fall on your face.

Yes, but has there been a similar rollout of mobile-related hardware software in 20+ countries simultaneously?

Apple should have staggered the rollout. MobileMe transition well in advance (at least a week), Firmware 2.0 (3-5 days advance), then the 3G rollout.
post #28 of 64
If you buy apps on original iphone and then upgrade to a 3g later do you get to transfer those apps onto iphone 3g
post #29 of 64
Well, when you sync an iPhone with your computer, any apps on the iPhone get pulled down on to the computer. So, when you sync an iPhone 3G for the first time, it should just sync all the apps onto the 3G. I don't know an iPhone, so, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Anywho, I'm waiting on the iPod touch 2.0 software. I've downloaded something that a user over at ehmac.ca posted a link to whose filename is "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw.zip". I'm a little wary of it, so I'll just leave it alone for now. Can anybody confirm that that file works?
MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz 15", iPod touch 16GB
iShnoob
iShnoob
post #30 of 64
Two sayings for consideration:
" The early bird catches the worm. "
" Good things happen to those who wait. "
post #31 of 64
My phone doesn't even show a update when I connect it to iTunes. I guess they took it off their servers. I'm glad I was at work.
post #32 of 64
Apple could have solved this problem easily. They should have released the iPhone 2.0 iTunes upgrade yesterday or the day before to avoid such problem.
post #33 of 64
Hello.

I don't know that I'd call the upgrade process a dismal failure. It worked for me. I downloaded the upgrade a little after 6 a.m. PST. By 1:15 PST my iPhone was completely up and running.

Perhaps Apple could have done a better of load testing before today. Perhaps those of you that are contemplating upgrading should reset your expectations and either wait a while longer or have a phone from T-Mobile or Verizon handy for the few hours the upgrade will take.

elearn
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post

Anywho, I'm waiting on the iPod touch 2.0 software. I've downloaded something that a user over at ehmac.ca posted a link to whose filename is "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw.zip". I'm a little wary of it, so I'll just leave it alone for now. Can anybody confirm that that file works?

That file only works on the iPhone. the iPod touch will complain because you failed to pay the $10, and you will have to then restore the iPod to the 1.1.4 software, accomplishing nothing.
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

And finds out that the worm is poisonous.
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dal33tdvr View Post

That file only works on the iPhone. the iPod touch will complain because you failed to pay the $10, and you will have to then restore the iPod to the 1.1.4 software, accomplishing nothing.

Ok, cool. Thanks.
iShnoob
iShnoob
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Two sayings for consideration:
" Good things happen to those who wait. "

I have always though that
" Look before you leap. "
and
" He who hesitates is lost. "

fit well with these...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

Yeah, 'cause other enterprise-class services routinely handle all the traffic in the world at once
post #39 of 64
yeah, i waaz one of those 1st gen iPhonerz that got bitten by the iTunes OVERLOAD bug. my iPhone was bricked/disabled for most of the morning, after i 'innocently' clicked on 'UPDATE NOW' to firmware 2.0. the iTunes store seems the culprit...
BUT, after a few nailbiting moments - more like dozens of minutes - and repeated attempts, all is fine again in apple-lalaländ: the update went thru just fine. PLUS all those sweet apps, like AIM, Remote, etc. are THE joy of my day... i feel a bit like back then in the late ninties, when i got all these fantastic apps added onto my PALM Vx... soo long ago \
post #40 of 64
Quote:
that being activated around the world today.

That should be 'that ARE being activated'.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone and iPod touch software 2.0 [see warning]