or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Official RNC 2008 Thread- Rock You Like A Hurricane

Official RNC 2008 Thread- Rock You Like A Hurricane

post #1 of 291
Looks like McCain's preparing to take full political advantage of a natural disaster.

Quote:
McCain was scheduled to deliver his acceptance speech Thursday but now may do so from the devastation zone if the storm hits the U.S. coast with the ferocity feared by forecasters.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/13013.html

This should be an interesting week.
post #2 of 291
Jesus Christ, that article reads like it was from the Onion: "Republicans weigh options for turning disaster into PR opportunity."

McCain might give his acceptance speech from the possible disaster zone? Yeah, way to pitch in, John. Much better than having birthday cake with George.

Maybe he can put on foul weather gear and accept the nomination while pretending to stack sandbags! Or, even better, he and Palin and strap on and go looter hunting!

And I really like the idea that the Red Cross might come to the convention while delegates craft care packages.

McCain is running the most insanely opportunistic, randomly reactive, theme free campaign I've ever seen.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 291
Great thread title.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #4 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Jesus Christ, that article reads like it was from the Onion: "Republicans weigh options for turning disaster into PR opportunity."

McCain might give his acceptance speech from the possible disaster zone? Yeah, way to pitch in, John. Much better than having birthday cake with George.

Maybe he can put on foul weather gear and accept the nomination while pretending to stack sandbags! Or, even better, he and Palin and strap on and go looter hunting!

And I really like the idea that the Red Cross might come to the convention while delegates craft care packages.

McCain is running the most insanely opportunistic, randomly reactive, theme free campaign I've ever seen.

The sad thing is, plenty of sheep eat the grass.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #5 of 291
It would be great if he does because it's so obviously exploitive. Maybe he could mention that his homes weren't the path of destruction.
post #6 of 291
The Republicans are getting hit by nature.

The number of cancellations by speakers at the convention is growing by the minute.

Bush, Cheney, The Terminator and many southern governors won't appear, mostly due to the storm. The Terminator has budget problems back in sunny town.

Looks like Mother Nature is sending a rather strong message.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080831/...7I4cADKNes0NUE

post #7 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Looks like Mother Nature is sending a rather strong message.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080831/...7I4cADKNes0NUE

Mother Nature must be a liberal.

If God punished gays for parading in New Orleans with Katrina, who is he punishing now?
post #8 of 291
They're going to be damned whatever they do. There really aren't any good options.

And because conservative preachers were praying for rain during Obama's outdoor speech, I have to admit some guilty pleasure at this happening during their convention.
post #9 of 291
I think it's obvious that the Republicans are going to lose this Presidential election (and, of course, won't gain any ground in Congress). So the Democrats will be in charge for (at least) 2 years (possibly more). They will have no more excuses any more. No one to blame. We'll get to see America refashioned in the liberal utopia that we keep hearing about but has been hindered until now.

That will be fine. Well not fine really. Probably disastrous. But at least we can sit back and watch them govern.

Personally, I'm hoping for this so that some kind of truly conservative (small government, less spending, lower taxes, humble foreign policy) candidate will be offered by some party (presumably the Republicans).

I'm not very optimistic that will happen, but 2-4 (or, God help us, 8) years of liberal Democratic governance should help push things that direction.
post #10 of 291
McCain says Republicans aren't Americans:

"I pledge that tomorrow night, and if necessary throughout our convention, we will act as Americans and not as Republicans because America needs us now," McCain said.

"We must redirect our efforts from the really celebratory event of the nomination of the president and vice president of our party to acting as all Americans,"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080831/...0rOhjRBxSs0NUE

God Bless Republica!

post #11 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslarson View Post

I think it's obvious that the Republicans are going to lose this Presidential election (and, of course, won't gain any ground in Congress). So the Democrats will be in charge for (at least) 2 years (possibly more). They will have no more excuses any more. No one to blame. We'll get to see America refashioned in the liberal utopia that we keep hearing about but has been hindered until now.

True enough, just like we've seen what happens when Republicans fully took charge from 2000-2006.
post #12 of 291
Quote:

The Republicans are getting hit by nature.

The number of cancellations by speakers at the convention is growing by the minute.

Bush, Cheney, The Terminator and many southern governors won't appear, mostly due to the storm. The Terminator has budget problems back in sunny town.

I think the lack of Republicans going to the convention has very little to do with Gustav, and much more to do with the fact that no one wants to be associated with a huge gathering of Republicans. I think they see Gustav as just a lucky break, an excuse not to have to go.
post #13 of 291
Quote:

I'm not very optimistic that will happen, but 2-4 (or, God help us, 8) years of liberal Democratic governance should help push things that direction.

Yes, because the Clinton years were disasterous...
post #14 of 291
Quote:

That will be fine. Well not fine really. Probably disastrous. But at least we can sit back and watch them govern.

Personally, I'm hoping for this so that some kind of truly conservative (small government, less spending, lower taxes, humble foreign policy) candidate will be offered by some party (presumably the Republicans).

Yeah, if Obama fails to refashion America into a liberal utopia over the next couple of years, his administration will have been objectively a failure.

Please tell me that we're not going to have listen to "But I thought your savior could turn water to wine, you mean to tell me he can't personally stop global warming/resolve all conflict/vanquish unemployment/end poverty/raise the dead? I guess you guys feel stupid now!"

Because, really, I'd just as soon stick the knitting needles in my ears now.
post #15 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Please tell me that we're not going to have listen to "But I thought your savior could turn water to wine, you mean to tell me he can't personally stop global warming/resolve all conflict/vanquish unemployment/end poverty/raise the dead? I guess you guys feel stupid now!"

This has nothing to do with his messiah-ness (or lack thereof). It's that he and his party will have full control, so their should be no need for any excuses for not getting done what they want to get done.
post #16 of 291
Quote:

This has nothing to do with his messiah-ness (or lack thereof). It's that he and his party will have full control, so their should be no need for any excuses for not getting done what they want to get done.

I don't recall "liberal utopia" being part of the platform. I think most reasonable observers are aware that Bush has done astonishing amounts of damage to the country over the last eight years and that the work of returning the country to fiscal, regulatory, and diplomatic health will be long and arduous. Obviously, "We're in a pretty deep hole here, let's start chipping away" hasn't been the selling point of the campaign, as the Dems would like to win the election.
post #17 of 291
Quote:

As long as we realize that even 41 Repubs in the Senate can block bills, sure.

On the larger point, I think we'll see who the true small-c conservatives are. Clinton's presidency was really about stewardship - just paying the bills and not doing anything to screw things up royally. In contrast, the Republicans rolled the dice with their power, trying to refashion the Middle East and playing the whole "cutting taxes will reduce the deficit" theory to its hilt... and look what happened. Who knows, they might have rolled the dice and something great happened. But I'd rather they just be good stewards and not screw things up too bad.
post #18 of 291
Dobson crony prays for rain to drown Democratic Convention.

No comment.

EDIT: Oops, BRussel already posted that. Oh well, it deserves to be posted over and over again. It's just that good.
post #19 of 291
McCain went on air to call for a change ( ) in the RNC due to the storm. Why was he sitting down? He looked pathetically weak and sickly.

Maybe the introduction of Palin and all of her miscellaneous baggage is getting him down?

Perhaps he could have chosen someone he actually knew?

post #20 of 291
By the way, I am STILL WAITING for a thread to be started about why we should vote for McCain as opposed to why Obama is the wrong man.

post #21 of 291
Palin also supports what she doesn't.

What? Sounds like a Republican.

Earmarks

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,6108885.story

post #22 of 291
Quote:

And if things actually get better it'll be something else that caused that right?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #23 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator View Post

Looks like McCain's preparing to take full political advantage of a natural disaster.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/13013.html

This should be an interesting week.

You guys are amazing. If they went on as scheduled, you'd bash them for being out of touch by "having a big party while the hurricane struck."
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #24 of 291
Awesome thread title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You guys are amazing. If they went on as scheduled, you'd bash them for being out of touch by "having a big party while the hurricane struck."

Do you honestly think that if the Democrats were faced with a hurricane during their convention, John "prepare two press releases criticizing Obama for doing either option" McCain wouldn't be all over this?
post #25 of 291
Quote:

It's one thing to change the schedule to be more subdued. That is quite admirable. It's another to give your acceptance speech in the damage zone. That is quite tacky.
post #26 of 291
Quote:

Nope. Just Bush should be there as he's the only one really responsible right now.
He's still in office.

The only one who you would expect to deal with this.
post #27 of 291
McCain's appearance on camera reminds me of the scene in The Distinguished Gentleman when Dick Dodge smiles for the cameras and says, "Message: We Care."

post #28 of 291
Gustav turned out to be flaccid so it seems the GOP can rock steady from here on out.
post #29 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Gustav turned out to be flaccid so it seems the GOP can rock steady from here on out.

Please STFU, or Hannah is going to hit us in S. FL later this week.

eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #30 of 291
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That was one boring day at the convention...

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #31 of 291
Yeah, incredibly boring. No energy at all even though I hear they have naps scheduled after every speaker.

Seriously, it's 95% old white people in the crowd. Compared to the Dems whose crowd seemed much more vibrant and representative of the melting pot that our country is. Young, old, white, black, hispanic, asian, etc etc.

The country's changing and the Geriatric Old Party is thankfully and finally getting left behind.
post #32 of 291
I find all scripted planned and rehearsed politics boring. It's like watching bad acting.
post #33 of 291
I honestly had the biggest problem with the staging. Some of the images they're putting on screen during speeches are HORRENDOUS. From a video production standpoint, I cringe everytime the speaker gets to the lecturn, the closeup shot comes up with a nice burgundy background, then all of a sudden WHOOSH! Sky blue. Awful.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #34 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I honestly had the biggest problem with the staging. Some of the images they're putting on screen during speeches are HORRENDOUS. From a video production standpoint, I cringe everytime the speaker gets to the lecturn, the closeup shot comes up with a nice burgundy background, then all of a sudden WHOOSH! Sky blue. Awful.

Maybe they decided to go with deliberately amateurish, in contrast with the elitist professionalism of the Democrats.

Maybe this can be their entire thing going forward-- a campaign that looks and feels like it was being conducted from the back of a pickup truck. John McCain can take to wearing ill-fitting suits, their ads can look like they were produced by the same people doing the spots for Wally's Mattress World out on Route 10, and anytime anyone asks a question, someone can just spit and go "hell, I dunno, ain't got time to worry about it, them quail ain't gonna hunt themselves!"

Sarah Palin can go forward exactly as is.
post #35 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Awesome thread title!

Do you honestly think that if the Democrats were faced with a hurricane during their convention, John "prepare two press releases criticizing Obama for doing either option" McCain wouldn't be all over this?

Shawn, I'm not talking about that the GOP would do. That's not the issue. The issue is the reaction here. McCain can't win with you folks. It simply doesn't matter what he does.
post #36 of 291
Gustov's dampening of the first day of the RNC was not the only impact New Orleans and Louisiana had on Republicans in St. Paul on Monday.

Quote:
Jam-balaya: Louisiana musicians unite to save the coastal wetlands at the best RNC party of the week

By KARL BREMER 9/3/08 7:16 AM

Louisiana guitarist Tab Benoit had a reason for a heightened sense of urgency in his plea to save his state’s coastal wetlands Monday night at First Avenue in Minneapolis. Earlier that day, Hurricane Gustav made landfall less than 20 miles from Benoit’s hometown of Houma.

“It’s hard for me to be here,” Benoit told the crowd gathered for the New Orleans All-Star Jam-Balaya, an RNC-related $500/ticket benefit for the Gulf Coast rebuilding effort. “But the coast of Louisiana is washing away at the rate of an acre an hour, and we cannot just sit in neutral.”

Benoit headlined the event with his Voice of the Wetlands AllStars, an amalgamation of some of the cream of Louisiana musicians united for the cause that included Cyril Neville (vocals and percussion), Anders Osborne (guitar), George Porter Jr. (bass), Johnny Vidacovich (drums), Jumpin’ Johnny Sansone (harp and accordion), Big Chief Monk Boudreaux (vocals and tambourine), and Waylon Thibodeaux (fiddle).

But it didn’t stop there. Pile on outstanding performances by the Soul Rebels Brass Band, the Wild Tchoupotoulas Mardi Gras Indians, Donald Harrison Jr. (alto sax), Marcia Ball (piano), Leo Nocentelli (guitar), Big Sam Williams (trombone), Kirk Joseph (sousaphone), Henry Butler (piano), Amanda Shaw (fiddle), James "Trombone Shorty" Andrews (trumpet) and Marva Wright (vocals), and this thing looked like a day at the New Orleans Jazz Fest all on one stage.

The five-hour star-studded lineup of Louisiana musicians was sponsored by the Friends of New Orleans with the help of a host of lobbying and music groups, including the Tipitina’s Foundation. A similar event was held in Denver during the Democratic National Conventional.

In addition to the musical entertainment, attendees dined on complimentary seafood gumbo, red beans and rice with andouille sausage, barbecued shrimp, salad and bananas foster.

Even with the abundance of talent on stage, the Republican- and lobbyist-dominated crowd was reluctant to take to the dance floor—no more than 50 were out there at any one time—despite repeated urging from the musicians. A handful ventured out to get down with the Wild Tchoupotoulas, resplendent in their elaborate feather-and-bead costumes. And a couple of brief second-line parades erupted when the music proved too irresistible to sit still. By the end of the marathon evening, about the only ones left were media, musicians and other assorted music fans.

That didn’t stop the musicians on stage from tearing it up, though.

The Voice of the Wetlands, anchored by the precision rhythm section of Porter and Vidacovich, smoked through much of their fine release by the same name and were joined by the other musicians throughout their set.

The Soul Rebels opened, providing the accompaniment for the Wild Tchoupotoulas’ eye candy as they swirled and strutted about the room. Donald Harrison Jr. was joined by a band of talented New Orleans music students, Big Sam Williams and Cyril Neville in a wide-ranging set of jazz, blues and funk. Leo Nocentelli of the original Meters brought his trademark guitar pyrotechnics to the mix. Henry Butler and Marcia Ball took turns beating the ivory off the keys, with Ball also rendering an emotional take on Randy Newman’s “Louisiana 1927.” Young fiddle firebrand Amanda Shaw held her own with Cajun fiddle master Waylon Thibodeaux. And in the finale featuring almost everyone on stage, Marva Wright filled out the roster of guests with a taste of her big, powerful voice on the Neville Brothers’ arrangement of Sam Cooke’s “A Change Is Gonna Come.”

If RNC revelers had to party while Gustav raged, this was the place they could do it this week and still bring their conscience along.

http://www.minnesotaindependent.com/...ty-of-the-week
(there are some nice photos along with the article which I quoted above)

I couldn't help but notice that some song choices, such as "Louisiana 1927" and "A Change Is Gonna Come", could be considered rather ironic for a Republican crowd.

Of course, the overall theme was to raise awareness of the alarming disappearance of Louisiana's coastal wetlands, and not Katrina's Federally-assisted body blow to the city of New Orleans.

However - I can only hope that some of the Republicans in attendance arrived in St. Paul with the "why should we spend any money on rebuilding New Orleans?" mindset, and that direct exposure to some of the world's finest food and music that can be found nowhere else gave them something to think about.

It sounds like quite a party, and I'm pretty jealous - I'm a fan of most of these musicians, and a big fan of about a third of them. And I surely do love me some red beans and rice with andouille sausage!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #37 of 291
While surfing over breakfast, I saw an article that said that some guy was passing out cards at the RNC that said Barack HUSSEIN Obama with a short message.

Will search for it now that I'M home...

These people are ugly.

post #38 of 291
Quote:

While surfing over breakfast, I saw an article that said that some guy was passing out cards at the RNC that said Barack HUSSEIN Obama with a short message.

Will search for it now that I'M home...

These people are ugly.

Sounds like this year's Purple Heart Band-Aid.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #39 of 291
Well night # 3 ended with a victory for team McCain.

She out Obama'd Obama.

Wow.. McCain did something right here.

Fellows

post #40 of 291
Naw I think she was flat. I think she came off as not believable.

When are they going to quit with the POW stuff?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Official RNC 2008 Thread- Rock You Like A Hurricane