or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)

Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009) - Page 15

post #561 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Please don't drag this thread into the perpetual arguing about the morality of copyrights and copyright infringement.

Hey, you go out and hustle up half a million dollars, then bust your ass for two years for no pay to get the movie made, then hit the pavement selling it to distributors who don't want to give you any money anymore for it because of declining DVD sales and piracy! And then come in here and tolerate blanket statements of "i steal my movies" and not blow a gasket.

It's the little guys like us who don't have millions of dollars, who are trying to do it the right way, and then ultimately get shafted by these childish morons who think all music and movies should be free.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #562 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

And you sir are a petty thief. Sorry if that offends. But for guys like me who earn their living producing content for you fuck nuts and then to only have you guys steal it without paying for it simply because you refuse to press the stupid "skip forward" button is well .... thievery at best, larceny at worst.

It would be like me saying, "I don't like how much Apple charges for their iPhones so I'm going to break into their store and steal one. That'll teach 'em."

I also find it frackin' hilarious that you say "I've delcared war against those corporations and I am winning." Winning? Winning what, exactly? Winning at taking part in killing the motion picture business? You want to take down the studios so you can feel good about rampant advertising? You want to eradicate movies altogether because no one can earn an honest dollar anymore?

At least rent the damn movie, rip it and throw it onto your terabytes of other stolen intellectual property!!

With this type of group-think short-sighedness we're well on our way to seeing no quality movies or music anymore. We'll all be stuck with a bunch of skateboarding idiots and their stupid antics on YouTube and we'll pass that off as "entertainment."

I couldn't agree more. But why slam Ayn Rand? Isn't that a bit ironic that you defend entertainment capitalism and yet consider her views 'mental masturbation'?
post #563 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I think you'll see a definite uptick in Blu-ray sales this holiday season...especially with this guy selling at $299.

The PS3 was released in November 2006. Doesn't everybody who wanted one already have it?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #564 of 669
Quote:

Hey, you go out and hustle up half a million dollars, then bust your ass for two years for no pay to get the movie made, then hit the pavement selling it to distributors who don't want to give you any money anymore for it because of declining DVD sales and piracy! And then come in here and tolerate blanket statements of "i steal my movies" and not blow a gasket.

It's the little guys like us who don't have millions of dollars, who are trying to do it the right way, and then ultimately get shafted by these childish morons who think all music and movies should be free.

Way to completely ignore my plea to not drag this thread into moral bickering.
Please everyone, resist the urge to support or reject that post. I can always hope right?

Back on topic:

Did anyone else notice the recent statistics on digital music sales?
iTunes sells 25% of all music in the US, 69% of digital

With iTS now accounting for 25% of all music sold in the US, the guessing game is now about how long before digital outsells physical distribution in regard to music. Most guesses peg that milestone as sometime in the next year or two.

Which begs the question... how soon will video follow that same trend?
post #565 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The PS3 was released in November 2006. Doesn't everybody who wanted one already have it?

You of all price conscious people should know that the answer to your question is no. I know a lot of people who have been chomping at the bit to get a PS3, but didn't want to pay $399 or $499. I think $299 is a good price sweet spot for consumers and I think you'll see proof of that this holiday season, despite all of the recession woes.
post #566 of 669
Quote:

CD players were released in 1982. When will electronics companies realise that everyone that wanted one has had one since 1985!
post #567 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

CD players were released in 1982. When will electronics companies realise that everyone that wanted one has had one since 1985!

But almost all CD player sales are replacements or buyers who are new to the market.
There's no trend of higher CD disc sales to match.

Marz's point was that the lower price point would cause an 'uptick in BR sales' this Christmas.

If stand-alone BR players are below $300. and the PS3 demand has reached saturation level (and now appealing to 'price-conscious' buyers) would such buyers embrace BR enough to register a serious increase in sales?
post #568 of 669
Quote:

If stand-alone BR players are below $300. and the PS3 demand has reached saturation level (and now appealing to 'price-conscious' buyers) would such buyers embrace BR enough to register a serious increase in sales?

PS3's not reached any kind of saturation due to the previous high price. Blu-ray sales are on a steady market-share increase month on month while DVD share decreases. Having a cheaper PS3 just adds to the likelihood that this trend continues.
post #569 of 669
Quote:

Way to completely ignore my plea to not drag this thread into moral bickering.
Please everyone, resist the urge to support or reject that post. I can always hope right?

Back on topic:

Did anyone else notice the recent statistics on digital music sales?
iTunes sells 25% of all music in the US, 69% of digital

With iTS now accounting for 25% of all music sold in the US, the guessing game is now about how long before digital outsells physical distribution in regard to music. Most guesses peg that milestone as sometime in the next year or two.

Which begs the question... how soon will video follow that same trend?

With digital music you have full import/export rights and an experience that is better in every way. With digital video, video quality isn't quite there compared to the physical side, file sizes in standard definition are too large to say nothing of HD, and the restrictions are extreme. With no standards and no desire from anyone to work together on one, you're limited to basically whatever device you have, and with little to no import/export right to and from DVD/BR you either have to keep all your old equipment or re-buy your entire library. It will eventually be the way things of done, but there's a lot of greed standing in the way of digital movies.
post #570 of 669
Quote:

PS3's not reached any kind of saturation due to the previous high price. Blu-ray sales are on a steady market-share increase month on month while DVD share decreases. Having a cheaper PS3 just adds to the likelihood that this trend continues.

Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks for driving the point home.
post #571 of 669
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks for driving the point home.

But this line of thinking embraces the idea that those potential customers have just been sitting on their hands waiting for a cheaper PS3.

Given the crowded CE marketplace, lower BR player prices and the fact that the other two consoles were already cheaper than the PS3, I think a huge bump in PS3 adoption is probably wishful thinking.
post #572 of 669
Quote:

But this line of thinking embraces the idea that those potential customers have just been sitting on their hands waiting for a cheaper PS3.

Given the crowded CE marketplace, lower BR player prices and the fact that the other two consoles were already cheaper than the PS3, I think a huge bump in PS3 adoption is probably wishful thinking.

I only know one guy who was waiting for the PS3 to drop in price before getting one; however, I also only know one guy who already owned a PS3, so based on my personal experience I guess they're about to see a 50% increase in sales
post #573 of 669
Jobs is a genius.

By 2013, Blu-ray players will be found in only 16.3 percent of PCs shipped, up from 3.6 percent this year, iSuppli said, meaning DVD players will continue to be the primary optical drive in PC systems through at least the year 2013, according to Michael Yang, senior analyst for storage and mobile memory at iSuppli.

That's 2013, people.
That's past the "Blu-Ray will be good for the next five years" timeline we kept hearing about.

The chances that Apple is going to ship a Mac with Blu-Ray just went from slim...
post #574 of 669
I've purchased three PS3s so far. THREE!!!

The 40Gig model was my first, but the fan noise was outrageous so I sold it to a friend of mine a year later. I replaced it with a current generation 80Gig model. Great machine. This month I went in halves to buy a good friend a PS3 for his birthday. He loves it.

I don't consider PS3's to be just a Blu-Ray player. To me it's a full home entertainment hub.

And because I'm a filmmaker I have the hard drive loaded with all of my projects, short films, and my feature. Plus 1000's of photos and a few gigs of music. The slideshow and music is the center of attention when I throw parties.

And here's the kicker. I was an HD-DVD supporter and LOATHED the idea of switching to Blu. And now I love it!
post #575 of 669
Quote:

And you sir are a petty thief. Sorry if that offends. But for guys like me who earn their living producing content for you fuck nuts and then to only have you guys steal it without paying for it simply because you refuse to press the stupid "skip forward" button is well .... thievery at best, larceny at worst.

It would be like me saying, "I don't like how much Apple charges for their iPhones so I'm going to break into their store and steal one. That'll teach 'em."

I also find it frackin' hilarious that you say "I've delcared war against those corporations and I am winning." Winning? Winning what, exactly? Winning at taking part in killing the motion picture business? You want to take down the studios so you can feel good about rampant advertising? You want to eradicate movies altogether because no one can earn an honest dollar anymore?

At least rent the damn movie, rip it and throw it onto your terabytes of other stolen intellectual property!!

With this type of group-think short-sighedness we're well on our way to seeing no quality movies or music anymore. We'll all be stuck with a bunch of skateboarding idiots and their stupid antics on YouTube and we'll pass that off as "entertainment."

Get over it, and stop hating. Everyone today watches "illegal" music videos on youtube, or downloads MP3's or movie torrents. Days are over when music/movie companies could earn zillions selling medias.

It was a short time: basically from the 1950's to the 1990' there was big money in copying and mass distributing media. Before that showbizz was - well show business. We are just getting back to those days now, which is not all that bad.

Movie theaters and concerts are booming these days. And the movie and music culture is nowhere dead! the business is just different.
post #576 of 669
Quote:

Blu-ray players are already available for $100, a reduced PS3 only adds to the general market adoption. It's already served it's primary function which was to get BR into peoples homes in order to win the HD-disc format war over HD-DVD. 20million isn't a huge number for a Playstation branded console to sell, but it's an enormous amount of blu-ray players, a format practically no one had previously heard of.

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that lower prices don't help increase sales? Mobile phones, CD, laptops, just about everything, only took off when they became cheaper. I didn't sit on my hands waiting to get a CD player, I could only afford one when they didn't cost a fortune.

The success or otherwise of games consoles is of little interest as I need blu-ray primarily to archive data. I've had two hdd's die this year and memory sticks are still way too small and unreliable to be of practical use for archiving.

So Jobs reckons 2013 for PC's? That means we'd be stuck with RW discs at 8GB when hdd's will be up to multiple TB's?? Terrible news if true, although I can't see it myself. Sounds like he wants to push some other technology like Time Machine. Even then how are you going to easily move data around with files that are in the tens of GB's??

It seems unlikely when new film releases are already selling up to 35% on blu-ray already. Keeping a low capacity format in an HD world makes no sense, it would be like insisting on keeping floppy-discs even when CD-writers are dirt cheap.
post #577 of 669
Quote:

So Jobs reckons 2013 for PC's? That means we'd be stuck with RW discs at 8GB when hdd's will be up to multiple TB's?? Terrible news if true, although I can't see it myself. Sounds like he wants to push some other technology like Time Machine. Even then how are you going to easily move data around with files that are in the tens of GB's??

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think Jobs had anything to do with this story or the 2013 date.
post #578 of 669
Quote:

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think Jobs had anything to do with this story or the 2013 date.

Oh yeah! The quotes from a company called iSuppli, paraphrased three times removed. The way Frank posted it I assumed it was a Jobs quote.
post #579 of 669
Quote:

Jobs is a genius.

By 2013, Blu-ray players will be found in only 16.3 percent of PCs shipped, up from 3.6 percent this year, iSuppli said, meaning DVD players will continue to be the primary optical drive in PC systems through at least the year 2013, according to Michael Yang, senior analyst for storage and mobile memory at iSuppli.

That's 2013, people.
That's past the "Blu-Ray will be good for the next five years" timeline we kept hearing about.

The chances that Apple is going to ship a Mac with Blu-Ray just went from slim...

AppleTV and digital movies aren't going anywhere either, so I wouldn't say genius. Right now nothing is giving users much of a compelling reason to switch from DVDs.
post #580 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Right now nothing is giving users much of a compelling reason to switch from DVDs.

Although it has a far greater market penetration and percentage share of the market than DVD had after the same time period in its retail life.
post #581 of 669
Quote:

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that lower prices don't help increase sales?

That isn't what I said. Of course more will sell at a lower price.
But primarily to consumers new to the market and those wanting replacement machines.

However, Marz referred to a pent up demand for PS3s, which I still don't believe is there.

People who couldn't afford a PS3 moved on to one of the lower priced consoles.
Nobody sits at home waiting for four years for a console price drop.
post #582 of 669
Quote:

That isn't what I said. Of course more will sell at a lower price.
But primarily to consumers new to the market and those wanting replacement machines.

However, Marz referred to a pent up demand for PS3s, which I still don't believe is there.

People who couldn't afford a PS3 moved on to one of the lower priced consoles.
Nobody sits at home waiting for four years for a console price drop.

Actually, a lot of people did. Many of them I know personally. A couple of them frequent this very board.
post #583 of 669
Whatever your views on the take-up of blu-ray, surely we can all agree that having a stable, portable, recordable, storage medium limited to 8gig for the foreseeable future is ridiculous?
post #584 of 669
Quote:

Whatever your views on the take-up of blu-ray, surely we can all agree that having a stable, portable, recordable, storage medium limited to 8gig for the foreseeable future is ridiculous?

I can sympathize with this lament. But at the same time, I don't find the use of DVDs to be ridiculous.

USB powered 2.5" drives and flash based USB drives have completely changed the our appetite for writable optical media. People generally aren't writing and archiving books of dozens or hundreds of optical discs anymore. Some still do, but their numbers are rapidly on the decline.

This combined with the fact that almost all software can be distributed on a single DVD, means that there really isn't that high of demand for blu-ray drives in computers, except for watching movies.
post #585 of 669
Quote:

I can sympathize with this lament. But at the same time, I don't find the use of DVDs to be ridiculous.

USB powered 2.5" drives and flash based USB drives have completely changed the our appetite for writable optical media. People generally aren't writing and archiving books of dozens or hundreds of optical discs anymore. Some still do, but their numbers are rapidly on the decline.

Their numbers are on the decline because backing up GB/TB's of data on a DVD is absurd at 8gig a disc.

It's still the safest way to back up and I hope they hurry up and get higher capacity RW discs asap! I have a 1TB drive that's packed up with all my music on it and it's proving a nightmare to retrieve it all. I manage to back up a bit to disc before I got bored and I usually back up films, but now that HD films are often over 8GB it's not possible anymore.

Portable storage just isn't keeping up with memory needs at the moment. And a 2.5" hard drive isn't very practical to distribute your HD home movies to the family.
post #586 of 669
Quote:

Their numbers are on the decline because backing up GB/TB's of data on a DVD is absurd at 8gig a disc.

It's still the safest way to back up and I hope they hurry up and get higher capacity RW discs asap! I have a 1TB drive that's packed up with all my music on it and it's proving a nightmare to retrieve it all. I manage to back up a bit to disc before I got bored and I usually back up films, but now that HD films are often over 8GB it's not possible anymore.

Portable storage just isn't keeping up with memory needs at the moment. And a 2.5" hard drive isn't very practical to distribute your HD home movies to the family.

I agree to an extent. But there are reasons for the decline of DVD-R other than just limited capacity.

Rewriteable optical media has never been terribly popular. As a result, almost all of the optical disks ever written are of the WORM variety, write once read many. Because of this, most users consider optical media to be less convenient. They were willing to use it when there wasn't a viable alternative. Now that thumb drives and external usb drives are dirt cheap, users have switched to those options for many scenarios that used to be served by DVD+/-R.

While storage requirements are ever growing, it is quite clear that portable media has reached the point where no more storage is needed for a large percentage of computing tasks. Pretty much all types of data and files can easily be stored in bulk on a single thumb drive... with of course the exception, as you pointed out, of video and to some extent, music.

Which begs the question, is video storage in and of itself enough to make the computing industry switch to a new removable media format? My guess is yes, eventually, and it already has to some degree. What hasn't happened is manufacturers bundling the hardware by default. It can still be purchased and/or installed by that small percentage of users that desire the functionality.

Also, you say it is a "nightmare" to retrieve music from a 1TB hard disk. Could you explain that? If anything, hard drive based storage is the most convenient option available.

As for distributing HD home movies to the rest of the family? Sorry, I couldn't resist chuckling. What percentage of users do you suppose would make use of that functionality if it were available today? My guess would be somewhere between 0.01% and 0.001%.

The only true demand I see for writable blu-rays is for the purpose of video archiving. At this time it doesn't seem that this comprises a terribly large or profitable market. Hence, it makes perfect sense for most computers to be shipping with DVD rather than blu-ray drives.
post #587 of 669
I had been backing up my data on DVDs for both home and off-site storage and found it to be a pain. Right now the price on portable HDs has fallen to a point where I cloned my HD to a portable 500GB HD. I use two 500 portables, one for off-site one for home storage and switch them out every month.

Having said the above, I would welcome a 25 or 50GB BD option for just the data as a redundancy safeguard to the portable HD.

On a side note I can't remember when I last burned a DVD.
post #588 of 669
Quote:

Also, you say it is a "nightmare" to retrieve music from a 1TB hard disk. Could you explain that? If anything, hard drive based storage is the most convenient option available.

Well the drive is broken and Disc Warrior's not helping, so as far as I can see I need to take it somewhere to get them to transfer the data I've not got backed up on DVD-R if that's possible.

Quote:
As for distributing HD home movies to the rest of the family? Sorry, I couldn't resist chuckling. What percentage of users do you suppose would make use of that functionality if it were available today? My guess would be somewhere between 0.01% and 0.001%.

Yeah crazy! They might as well scrap iMovieHD and Final CutHD as well seeing as how no one ever uses them.......

The whole reason I bought into Apple all those years ago was because of its stable desktop editing and then later DVD authoring apps. I now find them almost redundant as any longer HD video is just stuck on the drive unless it's down-converted.

This isn't a new situation by the way. When I first started editing digital video back in 1996 DVD burners were practically non-existent and the situation was almost identical. In fact I have posts in threads almost identical to this one with people arguing that DVD burners are unnecessary now that Zip-drives are available, and nobody requires data-storage more than is capable on a CD-R!

Blu-ray burners are coming, but god knows when. Probably when the price falls and the writing speed increases. Of course they're already here if you want them, just not built into Apple's.
post #589 of 669
Quote:

The only true demand I see for writable blu-rays is for the purpose of video archiving.

Peoples memory needs increase a little every day, and a lot every year. Remember that new computer you bought six years ago with a 60gig drive? Now it's 1TB, next year 2TB, then 4, 8, 16, etc.

Recordable media's always the last thing to catch up as the development cycle is slower than that of hard-drives. I'd expect to see 500GB discs before too long to meet this need.
post #590 of 669
My point in the last few posts was to temper your assertion that "surely we can all agree that having a stable, portable, recordable, storage medium limited to 8gig for the foreseeable future is ridiculous".

While the long-in-the-tooth nature of DVDs is certainly lamentable, their widespread use over the alternative of blu-ray, is anything but ridiculous. I wasn't trying to prove that higher capacity isn't desirable, nor that storage needs wouldn't increase. Rather, that it is quite logical for the majority of people to buy computers not equipped with blu-ray. It isn't ridiculous at all!

While storage demands will continue to increase, the enlightened realization is that there are absolutes in regard to capacity needed for various types of data. For instance, storing text is no longer much of a consideration when sizing hard drives or removable media. Now that hard drive are cheap and ubiquitous, the same is almost true for images. Nearly 100% of computer users can store their entire lifetime of pictures on a single external harddrive. We haven't reached that point for movies yet, but the time will come. A couple decades from now we'll likely reach that milestone for 4k video.

Which brings us back to figuring out where we currently stand in this progression. Now that external hard drives have largely taken over the personal backup market, the main draw for removable media is watching movies and distribution of software or video. Given the processor and storage demands of HD video, most people aren't producing it at home yet. This leaves software distribution and movie playback. Except that nearly all software, except for high-budget games, fits on a single DVD or even CD. Not to belittle any of these motivations. Just pointing out why most people aren't clamoring for higher-capacity removable media like they were in the era of floppies.
post #591 of 669
Something interesting here.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Quote:
Also, Eric Taub of The New York Times' Gadgetwise Blog has conducted an informal "Blu-ray vs DVD View-Off" and he's just posted a column based on his findings. Here's a couple of interesting comments:

"The difference in picture quality between Blu-ray and standard-definition DVD was very obvious. But the difference is accentuated when you get the chance to flip back and forth between the two."

"The cost difference between the two [DVD and Blu-ray] is barely more than $100, and once that declines even further, there will be little reason for the average consumer not to choose Blu-ray when looking for a DVD machine."

Well said, Eric.

It makes me wonder if there will be any DVD only machines in a few years.

Personally I doubt it.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #592 of 669
Quote:

Jobs is a genius.

That's 2013, people.

Remember in the early part of this decade when Jobs admitted they had missed the boat with CD burners in their G4 towers? I was one of the ones that had to buy an outboard burner!

They'll ship with a Mac eventually ( after everyone else has one at this rate ).
post #593 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

They'll ship with a Mac eventually ( after everyone else has one at this rate ).

Hasn't every other PC manufacturer offered Blu-Ray for about two years now? I guess we're just supposed to be happy with the 63 movies Apple has available for purchase as low-bitrate 720p files on iTunes.
post #594 of 669
If I want to watch Blu-Ray I'll do it on the TV where from a distance the resolution is completely noticeable. My MBP screen is 1440x900. I can't enjoy full HD (aka the whole point of Blu-Ray) on my display anyway.
post #595 of 669
Like I've already said a Mac with BluRay will ship eventually.

Quote:
People familiar with Apple's thinking have suggested in recent months one of these moves could see the company finally embrace Blu-ray -- a technology once derided by Chief Executive Steve Jobs as a "bag of hurt" from a licensing perspective.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...imac_line.html

post #596 of 669
Apple will have to add Blu-ray for one simple reason.

They've taken the iMac as far as it can go. There's not much innovation that can really do with it that makes sense.

Touchscreen- Nope
Quad Core - Yes
Blu-ray- Yes
LED Display- Yes
Smaller chin- Nope

It's becoming a pretty boring computer IMO.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #597 of 669
I doubt apple will add bluray drives, unless bluray becomes a main stream optical storage media. It seems the SD card/usb flash is the next gen storage.

Either way, It would be nice if we are allowed to rip dvd/bluray movies and store them in the itunes library. I do have an external LG HD-DVD/bluray drive I can still use for the occasion.

For now, LG BD390 probably is most flexible bluray player out there on the market that would easly make all HTPC's obsolete and it is priced very close to ATV, around $280 from amazon.

I do need a very fast bluray drive and a fast cpu equipped mac/pc to rip and encode video files on a fly.
always a newbie
always a newbie
post #598 of 669
well the basic difference between blu ray disc and DVD is its capacity to store data. Blu Ray disc can store much more data compare to DVD almost 4 times more, But the Blu ray players are much costlier than DVD players.
post #599 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejohnson1 View Post

well the basic difference between blu ray disc and DVD is its capacity to store data. Blu Ray disc can store much more data compare to DVD almost 4 times more, But the Blu ray players are much costlier than DVD players.

Not for long! I saw one at Walmart for $100.00! The more they buy, the more they make, the cheaper they are.

The average price out there seems to be around $200.00.
post #600 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Not for long! I saw one at Walmart for $100.00!

Yeah, but there seems to be some contention as to whether you should buy them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)