or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera - Page 3

post #81 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You have to live out about 18 months of your current contract before you are eligible for a new subsidized phone. AT&T doesn't want to subsidize your iPhone purchase every year. No phone carrier does that.

Why wouldnt they??? They would just have locked me in for another 2 years instead of the 1 year I have now.... That's $1500 in their pockets for the extra year of service.
post #82 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

None of my dreams are tech. related.

APPLE
has made a very nice upgrade to its phone. Not many rumours did not come true.<is that a double negative?>

I did not mean a dream kind of dream where the red haired green eyed lass dance's the night away with me dream.

I meant whatever all of all here have been blabbing about has almost, except for FM and or shaving has come true kind of dream.

I just confused my self.

8+1
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #83 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Yeah, what's up with that? I'm starting to believe all the criticism about ATT; no MMS support, no tethering, no Sling support. C'mon folks.

Agreed.

AT&T came out of this with two big black eyes: MMS and Tethering.

On the other side, they can claim faster speed, but that's MUCH harder to quantify and they can hide behind a forest of excuses.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #84 of 264
I agree. I will leave crappy AT&T the 1st day I can get this thing for Verizon or Sprint or whoever in may be. One day....one day please sooooon. F u AT&T
post #85 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

For any of you who bought the 3G phone on day 1 (aka stood in line), what does it say for your eligdability for a standard upgrade? Mine says:
12/12/09
Which would be 18 months

The Early Upgrade fee is:
$299.00* 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
$399.00* 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
$499.00* 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

I waited in line and upgraded at the subsidized price and my Early Upgrade date is 3/11/10.
post #86 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1882 View Post

Why wouldnt they??? They would just have locked me in for another 2 years instead of the 1 year I have now.... That's $1500 in their pockets for the extra year of service.

Think it thru. They don't make money until the subsidy has been paid off. I feel this new complaint will beat out the glossy complaint soon.Anyway good luck.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #87 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwl View Post

That is crazy if true. I've had my 2G iPhone for nearly 2 years, but still. I get the upgrade price of $299 for the 32GB 3GS and you have to pay $699? Have you had your 3G for a full year?

I have had the 2nd one since the day the 3G came out. I waited in line which it's why is odd others date to upgrade are like 12/19/09 and mine is 2 weeks later. Either way, it's like 18 months.
post #88 of 264
Because people would continuously jump from subsidized phone to subsidized phone without paying off the previous cost. That would cost AT&T money.

Quote:

post #89 of 264
Oh, quit whining about having to wait a month until your contracts end.
post #90 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkasper View Post

I waited in line and upgraded at the subsidized price and my Early Upgrade date is 3/11/10.

He's talking out of his ass.. my early upgrade is also March 2010', at the prices I quoted earlier.
post #91 of 264
Quote:

Because $2250 is much better $1500
post #92 of 264
I upgraded my Safari 4 beta to the final release. Did they change the tabs back to the bottom? or am I just bugging out??
post #93 of 264
They still have only the current iPhone at current pricing on their site. You would kinda think their biggest storefront partner and sole US provider would be in sync on this.
post #94 of 264
Man... it sucks even more in Canada here...

I bought my 3G a couple days after launch last year.

In order to get standard upgrade pricing, FIDO told me I have to wait until January something, 2011. So basically I won't be able to get this year's model OR next year's without paying an extra $200 which I'm not prepared to do right now. $100, that seems reasonable but $200 is too much. This frigging sucks. So I'm considering my options, like having my sister take over my contract or something. I dunno but it sucks either way. I'm surprised Apple didn't have a little more weight.

I was really really excited for the new iPhone despite thinking video and improved specs would be the only upgrade but I don't think I'll buy now. My 3G has almost everything the S has. Doesn't seem like it's really worth spending $400 on. Which sucks because for a little less I'd be willing to plunk down money. Oh and it's not like I don't spend a lot. I spend $120 a month with Fido. Grrr...
post #95 of 264
i personally feel the blackberry kicks the i phones ass!!
i mean waht respectable adult uses an iphone for work.. and bbm! you can not even compare... also whats up with "looped" was steve jobs a stalker?!

post #96 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what can you do with a compass that you can't do with GPS?

Know which way to go.

Imagine you are in a heavy fog, the GPS tells you you are standing on the edge of a cliff, a projection of a cliff, so that on 3 sides there is nothing but air for 1000 feet. The GPS is no help in determining in which direction you can walk without plummeting to your certain death. The compass will save your life, assuming you know how to use it.
post #97 of 264
does the current iPhone 3G does Video capturing?

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #98 of 264
No tethering on AT&T or MMS. Such an advanced network. Too funny.
post #99 of 264
GPS can tell direction if you are moving; a compass can tell direction standing still.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #100 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Unless, (like me), your dreams involved video chatting on an OLED screen with a more reasonably priced data plan (or any of the three in isolation.)

Honestly apple did a fine job of upgrading what little can be upgraded on such a tight form figure. Video chatting is a FIOS verizon deal. In fact look for verizon to be unique when it gets the iphone.

Oled is for next year.
And when more carriers get the iphone the data plan prices will fall to competition. I refuse to buy the iphone until the data plan charge's get much lower. Its enough that I pay now for DSL at home and at work.
A super powerful 20mbp DL MIFI card would be cool.

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #101 of 264
Sales will be sluggish, if y'all have to wait. Not good.
post #102 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

GPS can tell direction if you are moving; a compass can tell direction standing still.

And how did I ever live without that, I ask you?
post #103 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Oh, quit whining about having to wait a month until your contracts end.

Oh, I never realized A month and a year were the same thing, Thanks for telling me!
post #104 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And how did I ever live without that, I ask you?

Just dumb luck, probably.
post #105 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Usually they extend their normal upgrade pricing for the new releases to support the early adopter community. In this instance they are making those who upgraded to the 3g Wait a month and a half, or will allow you to purchase for an additional $200 with the same 2 year extension.

So, my point is that they are missing the market on everyone who upgraded to the 3G and want to make a purchase.

So you mean they're missing the market on everyone who is willing to pay several hundred dollars less than the rest of their customers? Wow I'm sure that must just be an oversight.
post #106 of 264
You have to be eligible for an upgrade to get the low prices. ATT has always been like this. Usually its like a year and a half into your contract that your eligible for an upgrade.

I was eligible for an upgrade and got the $199 price.
post #107 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

For any of you who bought the 3G phone on day 1 (aka stood in line), what does it say for your eligdability for a standard upgrade? Mine says:
12/12/09
Which would be 18 months

The Early Upgrade fee is:
$299.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
$399.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
$499.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

Mine says the same thing, but I called my brother at work who stood in line the same day with me and purchased it on 3G release date IS eligible for an upgrade to 3GS. I called AT&T (611) and they said I have to start a new 2 year contract and pay $18 upgrade fee and whatever the iPhone costs (the rep I spoke to doesn't even know the price of the new iPhone). I'm probably not eligible because I've been late on a few payments.
post #108 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Psyched about release date. They are playing this like they did the iPods. Trickle out the features. Worked for iPods, will it work with phones?

well, I owned a grand total of 1 ipod before iphone, I had the 2007 original phone, got the 3g last year, and gonna get the 3g s as soon as I can find a job to replace the one I lost in March, I have many friends and now-former colleagues in the same position. so whatever trickle effect did for the ipod it will do 4 fold for the phone.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #109 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playball View Post

From the WWDC presentation, it appears that Voice Control is a new hardware feature on the 3GS, but wouldn't this feature be a part of the 3.0 OS and therefore also on the iPhone 3G? Anybody want to guess if this feature is exclusive to the 3GS?

the iphone 3g can capture video, send mms, run more than 1 app at a time with FW 2.2.1. the catch is that those things are done by jailbreaking the phone.

i suspect that FW 3.0 will give voice control to the new iphoneG s but not to the 1st gen or the 3g, not because they can't, but because it will be a Gs feature. but if i were you, i'd probably install FW3.0, jailbreak it, and have voice control, video capture and much more.
post #110 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Wow, just talked to AT&T rep about upgrading. We waited in line for the 3G phone, and have to wait until July 12th to get the upgrade at the standard upgrade pricing. I would bet that there will be a ton of folks in this situation!

How is that being punished? I am not sure why you’d wait in a line for a product that isn’t out yet and without knowing what your options are for owning a highly subsidization device for under a year.

Considering that iPhone 3G came out on July 11th 2008 that July 12th date, which is a Sunday, may not be the day you can get a new iPhone at the upgrade eligible price. You may have to wait until your iPhone 3G contract has passed one full year.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #111 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

The answer is YES. I lost mine a few weeks ago and this is exactly what you are expected to pay for a replacement regardless of you standing with AT&T. Absolutely NO customer loyalty! The rep I spoke with told me that according to their contract with Apple, AT&T stores are not allowed to offer a discount to any customers that have LOST their phones before they are officially "qualified" to upgrade. However, I was offered a substantial discount on on my pick of any of the other smart phones that AT&T carries. How fucked is that??

Doesn't sound like you have any loyalty to them. Why should they reward your lack of loyalty?
post #112 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

No tethering on AT&T or MMS. Such an advanced network. Too funny.

Why don't you wait and get the facts straight for a change. Have a little patience for f***s sake. UFI.

AT&T details iPhone 3GS launch plans

"AT&T warns that while the 3GS supports 7.2Mbps downloads, deployment of a supporting network will only begin later this year, and finish in 2011. MMS messaging should become available in "late summer," according to an AT&T representative, and come at no extra charge. A future tethering plan is confirmed, but no details are yet ready."

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/06/...on.iphone.3gs/

Further confirmation; Current AT&T customers and iPhone 3GS (answers to questions) http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iph...questions.html
post #113 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what can you do with a compass that you can't do with GPS?

Know which way you are facing?

GPS shows you where you are. Compass shows you where you are pointed. Full functionality of turn by turn directions are not possible without both components.
post #114 of 264
Some trivial questions:
I have a jailbroken iphone 3G that records video with cycorder; if it can do it why doesn't apple support it on OS3.0?? -->> TO SELL US AN IPHONE 3GS
I have an iphone 3G with an underclocked arm proccessor (600->400mhz), why don't they put it at full speed as in ipod touch 2.0?? -->> TO SELL US AN IPHONE 3GS
If you have an iphone 3G, What do you have to do now? -->> INSTALL OS3.0, JAILBRAKE IT, INSTALL CYCORDER, WAIT FOR OVERCLOCKING PATCH.

The only real news are the compass, the 3mp autofocus camera and maybe 256mb of ram. The rest are software Limitations. Let hackers work...
post #115 of 264
does anyone know how much at&t will charge for the 3g s monthly service? I called at&t locally and they didn't have the info (upstate ny) available!
thanks one and all
post #116 of 264
A few things which have not been mentioned...

(1) - Is it still 128MB of memory in the 3GS model ? If so why ? I thought 236MB was a given.

(2) - What is the new processor in the 3GS model ... havent seen that mentioned anywhere.. and how much faster is it ?

The software may well be advanced, and the app store is great... but the technology behind the phone is lacking, and this refresh is lack luster in that department.. just compare the H/W to something like the Samsung Tocco Ultra for example.
post #117 of 264
Quote:

Why would they want to lock you in? They surely would know that if they didn't keep giving you $500+ cash subsidies every few months you'd just be whining your ass off again.
post #118 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlygirl View Post

does anyone know how much at&t will charge for the 3g s monthly service? I called at&t locally and they didn't have the info (upstate ny) available!
thanks one and all

Same as the pda plans. $30 a month
post #119 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post

A few things which have not been mentioned...

(1) - Is it still 128MB of memory in the 3GS model ? If so why ? I thought 236MB was a given.

(2) - What is the new processor in the 3GS model ... havent seen that mentioned anywhere.. and how much faster is it ?

The software may well be advanced, and the app store is great... but the technology behind the phone is lacking, and this refresh is lack luster in that department.. just compare the H/W to something like the Samsung Tocco Ultra for example.

ANd just how would one go about that?
post #120 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotheJOBman View Post

i personally feel the blackberry kicks the i phones ass!!
i mean waht respectable adult uses an iphone for work.. and bbm! you can not even compare... also whats up with "looped" was steve jobs a stalker?!

Great first post. You make me look good.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera